• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Roms For The Fierce 2

These are the bootimg tools needed for Fierce 2 recovery.img packing and unpacking.

https://github.com/xiaolu/mkbootimg_tools

@scary alien
You could do this on any device. Just use adb or your preferred tool to get the recovery.img off of your device.

Create a set of releasekeys.
https://source.android.com/devices/tech/ota/sign_builds.html

Use the Dump-Key.zip
unpack it into a folder
cd to that folder
put your releasekey.x509.pem in the same folder
Then run command

java -cp .:./bcprov-jdk15on-153.jar com.android.dumpkey.DumpPublicKey releasekey.x509.pem > keys

that will create the keys file in the main folder.

Unpack your recovery image and take the new keys file and replace the /res/keys file in the ramdisk with the new keys file.

Repack the recovery image

Flash it with flashify or adb.

Sign any zip you want to flash with the same releasekey.x509.pem and releasekey.pk8
Use the command i posted for signing.

So this is useful if you have a device that dont have CWM or TWRP or another custom recovery available.

It is the only way you can flash zip files. {With the modified recovery}

Which is great for developing new stuff for the device. Gives a way to fix it with a backup.

You can use onandroid to make a TWRP or CWM style backup on your device. [Without having a custom recovery]

Once you have that backup you will need to get a META-INF folder from a ota update or a rom and edit the UPDATER-SCRIPT to flash your onandroid backup.

onandroid has a app and a script. I like to use the script.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1620255

I am still working on my Auto-Key program to do all this automatically.
But as i choose to make it universal for all devices it has turned in to many days of script writing. And is all most turning into a sort of Kitchen only way more advanced.

If you would like to play with any of this let me know. I will send you what i have.
Currently i am re-writing the Onandroid script to work through adb without putting a script on the device. That will be the implementation of the Device Backup in Auto-Key.

If you need any help with any of this feel free to ask. I am more than happy to help.

Sorry that once again these post ended up in this thread. But this is where everyone started it back up. I do have the other threads. But everyone seems to end up here.

Root/ROM/recovery R&D
http://androidforums.com/threads/root-rom-recovery-r-d.975147/#post-7179505

Auto-Key Factory Recovery Patcher
http://androidforums.com/threads/auto-key-factory-recovery-patcher-testers-wanted.977655/

Upvote 0
Ah, no worries about the location, @Bigcountry907 -- we can always move or duplicate as/if needed.

Over the years, I've unpacked lots of bootable image files, just never had to worry about re-signing them since they'd be flashed with a custom recovery.

Which leads to my question: why is it that a newly-signed recovery be re-signed and flashed in stock recovery when (most/virtually?) all others require that it be signed with the manufacturer's keys?

(forgive me if I missed that nuance in another of your threads--I'll head over to the other threads you've linked in a little bit to see if that info is there (I'm betting it is :p))

Cheers and thank you again for this :).

Upvote 0
Ah, I think I just figured-out what the difference / trick is here...you're able to re-flash a new recovery over-top of the existing stock recovery. The tweaked recovery that you're flashing (that has new signing keys) will allow/match the similarly-signed .zip file, correct?

So, this isn't a case of tricking the actual stock recovery since it's no longer stock, yes?

Clever boy :).

edit: and I re-read your posts from page 2 of this thread which seems to match my understanding. Cool :cool:.

Upvote 0
Yes that's the trick. The keys file in the recovery ramdisk is used to verify that the zip update was signed by the manufacturer. So we are replacing that file and signing our zips with our own key that matches.

Otherwise you get

Error you get trying to flash a file not signed by the manufacturer.
E: Failed to verify signature
E: invalid footer

So it is still pretty much the same exact recovery only with different key.
That is how It works even with locked bootloader

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
Well i have just about put together a factory backup. I hope to test it soon.
Just have to double check all the symlinks and permissions in the updater script.
It appears to be missing a few.

I wonder if any of you know an easy way to get all the symlink info off a device?
I tried a few methods and even a couple of the kitchens and i get most of them that way but like i said. Some are getting missed.

Makes more work for me because im gonna have to manually go through each folder and look for symlinks and then add them to the script.

On an interesting note. There are symlinks for a bunch of the system apps. I am wondering if this is the reason deleting some system apps causes so much trouble on this device.

I betting the system app that gets moved or deleted and has a symlink causes issues.

Even though the app isn't there the symlink is and when that symlink tries to call the app that isnt there you crash.

I am also wondering if this recovery patch will help to work around the locked boot-loader.
Being able to sideload updates through the recovery certainly makes it possible to write to any partition.

Interesting enough i changed the key in the recovery image and it still boots. So that means the bootloader isn't checking the key or the signing of files it loads.

The recovery is modified and it still boots so im wondering how much the boot.img could be modified and still boot.

If the boot image can be modified then is it possible to compile a new kernel that would let us flash a custom rom?

See im thinking

I know boot-loader runs first.

It loads and runs the boot.img or the recovery.img.

After that It is not involved in what is going on it the android system any more. Right??
Bootloader has completed its job and goes home for the day.

So my theory is that the kernel or something in the boot.img is actually checking the device for modified files and if it dont like what it finds it loops.

If that is the case then if we modify / remove the checking from the boot.img then it will boot the system.

Im guessing that maybe the boot.img is simply checking something like the MD5 sum of commonly hacked deleted or modified system files. Change any of them and it refuses to load the android system.

I know it sounds a little oversimplified but hey ... who ever though we could get away with changing the key file in the recovery. WE DID. And the bootloader still boots it.

If that boot-loader was checking the key it would be a different story.

I do believe this opens a very big door for us.

I just have to imagine my way through it.

Upvote 0
I wonder if any of you know an easy way to get all the symlink info off a device?

Not 100% sure this is what you're looking for, but here goes...

Probably a ton of ways to do this, here's a quick hack that's probably a little fragile if the output of the inner find returns too many files and the buffer overflows:

find / -type d 2> /dev/null | while read dir; do
echo "searching $dir:"
ls -ld $(find $dir -type l 2> /dev/null) 2> /dev/null | sort -u
echo "----"
done

I'll try to come up with something a little more robust tomorrow.

Interesting ideas/thoughts about the breaking of symlinks causing the bootloops when a system file is removed (never a good idea unless you know it's a stand-alone thing like an .apk file, etc.).

:)

Upvote 0
Thank You for the bit of script.
I will give it a go.
I did run a couple different shell commands to find the links

find ./-type l -print0 | xargs -0 ls -plah

find -L .-type l -ls

find .-type l -ls

See i am just wondering why I am not getting any symlinks from /system/bin
I don't see any toolbox links this way.

As far as the bootloop because of system files. These are actually apps with symlinks.
It did seem odd to me to have an .apk symlinked but they do !!

Here is some of the output i got from other commands.
I will test your command.

lrwxrwxrwx 1 bigcountry bigcountry 36 Jan 3 17:55 ./custpack/app/unremoveable/withlibs/FileManager.apk -> /system/app/custpack/FileManager.apk
lrwxrwxrwx 1 bigcountry bigcountry 37 Jan 3 17:55 ./custpack/app/unremoveable/withlibs/FileManager.odex -> /system/app/custpack/FileManager.odex
lrwxrwxrwx 1 bigcountry bigcountry 32 Jan 3 17:55 ./custpack/app/unremoveable/withlibs/FMRadio.apk -> /system/app/custpack/FMRadio.apk
lrwxrwxrwx 1 bigcountry bigcountry 33 Jan 3 17:55 ./custpack/app/unremoveable/withlibs/FMRadio.odex -> /system/app/custpack/FMRadio.odex
lrwxrwxrwx 1 bigcountry bigcountry 39 Jan 3 17:55 ./custpack/app/unremoveable/withlibs/JrdAlcatelHelp.apk -> /system/app/custpack/JrdAlcatelHelp.apk
lrwxrwxrwx 1 bigcountry bigcountry 40 Jan 3 17:55 ./custpack/app/unremoveable/withlibs/JrdAlcatelHelp.odex -> /system/app/custpack/JrdAlcatelHelp.odex
lrwxrwxrwx 1 bigcountry bigcountry 35 Jan 3 17:55 ./custpack/app/unremoveable/withlibs/JrdCompass.apk -> /system/app/custpack/JrdCompass.apk
lrwxrwxrwx 1 bigcountry bigcountry 36 Jan 3 17:55 ./custpack/app/unremoveable/withlibs/JrdCompass.odex -> /system/app/custpack/JrdCompass.odex
lrwxrwxrwx 1 bigcountry bigcountry 34 Jan 3 17:55 ./custpack/app/unremoveable/withlibs/JrdElabel.apk -> /system/app/custpack/JrdElabel.apk
lrwxrwxrwx 1 bigcountry bigcountry 35 Jan 3 17:55 ./custpack/app/unremoveable/withlibs/JrdElabel.odex -> /system/app/custpack/JrdElabel.odex
lrwxrwxrwx 1 bigcountry bigcountry 32 Jan 3 17:55 ./custpack/app/unremoveable/withlibs/JrdFota.apk -> /system/app/custpack/JrdFota.apk
lrwxrwxrwx 1 bigcountry bigcountry 33 Jan 3 17:55 ./custpack/app/unremoveable/withlibs/JrdFota.odex -> /system/app/custpack/JrdFota.odex
lrwxrwxrwx 1 bigcountry bigcountry 35 Jan 3 17:55 ./custpack/app/unremoveable/withlibs/JrdMMITest.apk -> /system/app/custpack/JrdMMITest.apk
lrwxrwxrwx 1 bigcountry bigcountry 36 Jan 3 17:55 ./custpack/app/unremoveable/withlibs/JrdMMITest.odex -> /system/app/custpack/JrdMMITest.odex
lrwxrwxrwx 1 bigcountry bigcountry 36 Jan 3 17:55 ./custpack/app/unremoveable/withlibs/JrdNotePad2.apk -> /system/app/custpack/JrdNotePad2.apk
lrwxrwxrwx 1 bigcountry bigcountry 37 Jan 3 17:55 ./custpack/app/unremoveable/withlibs/JrdNotePad2.odex -> /system/app/custpack/JrdNotePad2.odex
lrwxrwxrwx 1 bigcountry bigcountry 39 Jan 3 17:55 ./custpack/app/unremoveable/withlibs/JrdSetupWizard.apk -> /system/app/custpack/JrdSetupWizard.apk
lrwxrwxrwx 1 bigcountry bigcountry 40 Jan 3 17:55 ./custpack/app/unremoveable/withlibs/JrdSetupWizard.odex -> /system/app/custpack/JrdSetupWizard.odex
lrwxrwxrwx 1 bigcountry bigcountry 36 Jan 3 17:55 ./custpack/app/unremoveable/withlibs/JrdTimeTool.apk -> /system/app/custpack/JrdTimeTool.apk
lrwxrwxrwx 1 bigcountry bigcountry 37 Jan 3 17:55 ./custpack/app/unremoveable/withlibs/JrdTimeTool.odex -> /system/app/custpack/JrdTimeTool.odex
lrwxrwxrwx 1 bigcountry bigcountry 33 Jan 3 17:55 ./custpack/app/unremoveable/withlibs/JrdTorch.apk -> /system/app/custpack/JrdTorch.apk
lrwxrwxrwx 1 bigcountry bigcountry 34 Jan 3 17:55 ./custpack/app/unremoveable/withlibs/JrdTorch.odex -> /system/app/custpack/JrdTorch.odex
lrwxrwxrwx 1 bigcountry bigcountry 36 Jan 3 17:55 ./custpack/app/unremoveable/withlibs/MusicWidget.apk -> /system/app/custpack/MusicWidget.apk
lrwxrwxrwx 1 bigcountry bigcountry 37 Jan 3 17:55 ./custpack/app/unremoveable/withlibs/MusicWidget.odex -> /system/app/custpack/MusicWidget.odex
lrwxrwxrwx 1 bigcountry bigcountry 46 Jan 3 17:55 ./custpack/app/unremoveable/withlibs/OTAProvisioningClient.apk -> /system/app/custpack/OTAProvisioningClient.apk
lrwxrwxrwx 1 bigcountry bigcountry 47 Jan 3 17:55 ./custpack/app/unremoveable/withlibs/OTAProvisioningClient.odex -> /system/app/custpack/OTAProvisioningClient.odex
lrwxrwxrwx 1 bigcountry bigcountry 36 Jan 3 17:55 ./custpack/app/unremoveable/withlibs/VideoPlayer.apk -> /system/app/custpack/VideoPlayer.apk
lrwxrwxrwx 1 bigcountry bigcountry 37 Jan 3 17:55 ./custpack/app/unremoveable/withlibs/VideoPlayer.odex -> /system/app/custpack/VideoPlayer.odex
lrwxrwxrwx 1 bigcountry bigcountry 45 Jan 3 17:55 ./data/bugreports -> /data/data/com.android.shell/files/bugreports
lrwxrwxrwx 1 bigcountry bigcountry 17 Jan 3 17:55 ./data/theme -> /custpack/theme/2
lrwxrwxrwx 1 bigcountry bigcountry 11 Jan 3 17:56 ./data/user/0 -> /data/data/
lrwxrwxrwx 1 bigcountry bigcountry 20 Jan 3 17:56 ./system/build.prop -> /custpack/build.prop
lrwxrwxrwx 1 bigcountry bigcountry 23 Jan 3 17:56 ./system/etc/apns-conf.xml -> /custpack/apns-conf.xml
lrwxrwxrwx 1 bigcountry bigcountry 34 Jan 3 17:56 ./system/etc/firmware/wlan/prima/WCNSS_qcom_cfg.ini -> /data/misc/wifi/WCNSS_qcom_cfg.ini
lrwxrwxrwx 1 bigcountry bigcountry 31 Jan 3 17:56 ./system/etc/firmware/wlan/prima/WCNSS_qcom_wlan_nv.bin -> /persist/WCNSS_qcom_wlan_nv.bin
lrwxrwxrwx 1 bigcountry bigcountry 18 Jan 3 17:56 ./system/etc/gps.conf -> /custpack/gps.conf
lrwxrwxrwx 1 bigcountry bigcountry 27 Jan 3 17:56 ./system/fonts -> /custpack/JRD_custres/fonts
lrwxrwxrwx 1 bigcountry bigcountry 37 Jan 3 17:56 ./system/framework/framework-res.apk -> /custpack/framework/framework-res.apk
lrwxrwxrwx 1 bigcountry bigcountry 33 Jan 3 17:56 ./system/framework/Jrdshared.apk -> /custpack/framework/Jrdshared.apk
lrwxrwxrwx 1 bigcountry bigcountry 12 Jan 3 17:56 ./system/lib/libGLESv3.so -> libGLESv2.so
lrwxrwxrwx 1 bigcountry bigcountry 41 Jan 3 17:56 ./system/lib/modules/wlan.ko -> /system/lib/modules/pronto/pronto_wlan.ko
lrwxrwxrwx 1 bigcountry bigcountry 27 Jan 3 17:56 ./system/media/audio -> /custpack/JRD_custres/audio

Upvote 0
Well now its time to test this rom.
It is for the 7040T only.

If someone uses onandroid app or script to backup there rooted phone 7040N I will make a rom for it as well.

There is nothing fancy about this rom. It is only a factory rom made from a backup. But if you rooted your phone and removed apps or screwed up your phone this will fix it. The rom is rooted and uses supersu. Not kinguser.

In order to flash this rom you must first flash the modified recovery.img I posted previously in this thread.

The recovery image has been tested and will cause no issue on the phone.
The rom has not been tested yet. I do not anticipate any problems as i have mentioned it is the unchanged factory rom.

This rom only replaces the /system and /custpack files. That should be all that is needed unless you have messed with other files.

Bottom line. If your device is already messed up flash my recovery with flashify and then load this rom. What do you have to loose. As long as you have flashed my recovery we can always fix things.

This rom will not flash a boot img.

You have to use the sideload update in recovery and sideload the rom through adb.

You guys want a custom rom so help out here. This is the way for that to happen. There is no way we are going to get a good custom rom on the first try. But if this flash works we can fix things with it. This way we can test custom roms or modify this factory rom and have a way to fix the device when things go wrong.

I will upload on next post with instructions for flashing.
I have one tester who will be testing this but i haven heard from him in a couple days.

Like i said I need some help here in order to help you all.

If your phone has zero issues just flash the recovery. For later use.
If your phone has zero issues make a backup using onandroid.
and upload it here for me to work with.

If you all contribute things will start to happen much faster.

So if your phone has some issues. Test this out. I created the backup immediately after rooting and switching to supersu. Nothing else is changed and it should fix things.

After you flash the recovery and the rom I do believe there is an update out for the phone.
Someone get me that update. Capture it.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.otasnatcher&hl=en

I am doing the best i can here and i have all-ready put a lot of work into this.

Thanks BigCountry "Rich"

Upvote 0
Note: THIS IS FOR 7040T only.
IF YOU WANT 7040N someone needs to get me a good backup from 7040N and the Recovery.img too.

Requires: ADB in windows or linux and currently booting phone.

If your device is boot-looped you could try to flash the recovery.img with ADB dd command.
I can help you with that. First turn off the phone completely and then connect to computer.
I know you will be able to access the adb shell with the phone off. Im just not sure if you can get su access. I don't think you can but its worth a try. If you have adbd insecure there might be a chance.

Step #1
FLASH RECOVERY WITH FLASHIFY APP.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8jitdIyh2NtNEFyRzJ3NUtVdk0/view?usp=sharing

Step #2
Get onandroid and make a nandroid backup of your phone.
Weather the phone has issues or not just make the backup.
If something were to go wrong we can flash your backup back to your phone.
Onandroid may not get the bo0t.img or recovery.img you can get those with adb.

Step #3
Download the 7040T.zip
If your using windows copy the file to where the adb.exe is if your install is default it will be c:\android\sdk\platform-tools
In linux shell cd to the dir where the file is.
Turn the phone off and then boot into recovery.
To do that hold power key + volume up till phone turns on.
Then keep holding volume up but let go of the power button.

Step #4
In the recovery on the phone select APPLY UPDATE FROM ADB.
Plug the phone into the computer.
Type adb devices in the adb window.
You should see sideload
Then type
adb sideload 7040T.zip

You should see the file transfer to the phone.
Once the transfer is complete it will flash automatically.

Step #5
Select wipe cache partition
Select Wipe / Data Factory Reset

Step #6
Reboot Phone
Re-Install Busybox
GET US THE OTA UPDATE

Stp#7
Report Back and look forward to more development.

Here is the zip
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8jitdIyh2NteHN4Um9uSXBPeVU/view?usp=sharing

Use at your own risk it hasn't been tested. I have no way to test it right now. But my heart tells me it will be fine.

I appreciate your help . We all can benefit from this.
;););):cool::cool::):):)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank @ herminiachristian

For sending me the recovery.img for the 7040N.

I have patched it as well. It can be flashed to the 7040N devices using flashify.
Again there is no risk of boot-loop flashing the recovery.
I have tested the results of flashing a bad recovery and the only effect is the recovery wont boot.

Easy fix just flash back original recovery.img with flashify and no trouble.

Soon as i get a good backup of the device files i will put together a flash for the 7040n as well.

Thanks again @ herminiachristian

Here is the recovery.img for the 7040N
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8jitdIyh2NtZDVOeWttSGlCTHM/view?usp=sharing

Do not flash the rom for the 7040T on the 7040N. Get me a backup so i can make a rom for the 7040N.

Upvote 0
Please also remember.
This is still a nearly stock recovery. So if you want to flash something with it the zip file must be signed with the releasekeys that i provided earlier in this thread.

If you want a file signed and are not sure how to sign it send it to me and i will sign it for you.

You can put together a test updater-script that only outputs messages.

example. ui_print("Verifying current system...");

If you want to verify that the zip files will pass the recovery signature test.

On another note here is the recovery.img info for the 7040T.

Its interesting in that it has a different boot-loader than the 7040T but it looks like the very last part of the command line after bootloader name is the same as the 7040T. I posted the 7040T recovery.img info earlier. I will have to go back and look at it.

Unpack & decompress 7040N.img to 7040n-rdisk
board : R2C6E0E0AW00
kernel : kernel
ramdisk : ramdisk
page size : 2048
kernel size : 5940040
ramdisk size : 1307870
dtb size : 1284096
base : 0x00000000
kernel offset : 0x00008000
ramdisk offset : 0x02000000
tags offset : 0x01e00000
dtb img : dt.img
cmd line : console=ttyHSL0,115200,n8 androidboot.console=ttyHSL0 androidboot.hardware=qcom user_debug=31 msm_rtb.filter=0x37 androidboot.bootloader=L2C6E0E0AW00
109f10eed3f021e3
ramdisk is gzip format.
Unpack completed.

see this [ 109f10eed3f021e3 ] Im starting to wonder if that isn't the key passed to the bootloader telling it ok to load recovery.img. I have to look at my other post.

Have fun.

Also I do have 2 factory OTA.ZIP updates for the 7040N. They were captured by someone else. If anyone needs them.

They are not complete roms but just patch updates. I plan on taking out all the asserts so that you can run the update with my recovery and have no issues with changed files or rooted phone.

Upvote 0
Ya Heres the 7040T Boot image info to compare.
I was correct. It is interesting that the board names and bootloader are different.

BUT that last bit after defining the bootloader is the same. 109f10eed3f021e3

7040N
androidboot.bootloader=L2C6E0E0AW00
109f10eed3f021e3

7040T
androidboot.bootloader=L2C28080AW00
109f10eed3f021e3

7040T complete info.

Here is all the information for the 7040T recovery.img

I SPY A CLUE I DO I DO......... Just takes some imagination :):):)

********************************************************************************
Unpack & decompress recovery.img to ramdisk
board : R2C28080AW00
kernel : kernel
ramdisk : ramdisk
page size : 2048
kernel size : 5933680
ramdisk size : 1309094
dtb size : 1275904
base : 0x00000000
kernel offset : 0x00008000
ramdisk offset : 0x02000000
tags offset : 0x01e00000
dtb img : dt.img
cmd line : console=ttyHSL0,115200,n8 androidboot.console=ttyHSL0 androidboot.hardware=qcom user_debug=31 msm_rtb.filter=0x37 androidboot.bootloader=L2C28080AW00 109f10eed3f021e3
ramdisk is gzip format.
Unpack completed.

Its just funny. One page back it was Did we all Give Up !!!!!!!!!

Now look how far we have come.
I love android.

Upvote 0
Same here @Blu8 . I'm just looking for other phones to possibly by from metropcs (haven't learned my lesson) and I came across this thread. @Bigcountry907 is working so hard with the locked bootloader and its really cool to see such strong levels of progress. Keep up the good work dude. We have a few issues on our side of the midrange phones (Galaxy Avant). Good job @Bigcountry907 :thumbsupdroid:

Upvote 0
Here are all the files in one place. Get the 2 you need for your device.

Either 7040T = T-mobile
Or 7040N = Metro Pcs

They both have the repacked rom and the recovery to use. Follow the previously posted instructions.

The rom for the 7040T has been updated. It includes a few more symlinks now.
If you downloaded the previous 7040T rom please update to the new rom.

7040T
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8jitdIyh2NtRmpHaVd1UW1KWkU

7049n
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8jitdIyh2NtN2UtRk10aWVTOHM

Upvote 0
I have been following this thread for months and wand to say thank you for working so hard at this. I have 2 7040ns so I am more than happy to test anything I can for the cause. I do need to know a few things since I'm a noob.

1. I assume must be rooted

2. I have unlocked both my phones from PCS and use them with cricket and curious as to weather this will be an issue.

anything i can do to help but please make it as simple as possible and again thank you

Upvote 0
@ jason39828
I will rewrite the instructions and try to include the detailed steps as simply as I can.
Sorry it has been a wile since i have done any bulletin Board coding but i will try to break things up a little better.

Requirements:
1) The device must be rooted !!
It will not make a difference what method is used to root the phone.
The common method is to root with KingRoot and KingRoot installs KingUser as the root permissions manager.

a. The root manager
I prefer to use SuperSU by chainfire as the root permissions manager.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.chainfire.supersu&hl=en

To switch from kinguser to SuperSU you have to follow the instructions here.
http://androidforums.com/threads/script-replace-kingoroot-with-supersu.919175/
The new roms include the SuperSU. The roms are built from a backup of the stock phone after it has been rooted and SuperSu has been installed so it is not necessary to do this if you flash the rom.

Superuser is also available and i have used it without any issues.
http://androidsu.com/superuser/

b. Advanced root permissions with a stock rom
I further recommend installing adbd insecure. Adbd Insecure allows ADB to run as root. Not just adb shell as SU. It provides easier access to the phone through ADB or a Terminal Emulator. I will give you access to do things like remount /system with read write access rather than read only access.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.chainfire.adbd
The dev who created this app does offer a free version. You have to find it on google yourself.

c. BusyBox
It is common practice to install BusyBox on a Rooted Phone. It provides an advanced tool set that adds the functionality of a Linux based PC. If you want to run script files then you need BusyBox. I have busybox included with the rom. It is a good idea to re-install or update BusyBox after flashing the rom. To be sure you have the latest files and all busybox symlinks will get updated.

*************************************ENOUGH ABOUT ROOT **************************************

2) You will need ADB installed on your computer.
In order to flash the rom on the Fierce 2 with the recovery you will need to use ADB. I don't know why but the recovery will not find the update.zip files on the SD-Card. So to flash the rom you will have to use the
{ APPLY UPDATE FROM ADB } option in the recovery menu. This uses the adb sideload method to send the file from the computer to the phone and then flashes the zip.

a. For Windows Users
You will need to have the correct drivers installed for the Fierce 2 !!

The standard drivers for windows are here.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8jitdIyh2NtT2JRY1duVVZwQkk/view?usp=sharing

They should install automatically.
They include all versions of windows.
If they don't install automatically You will have to manually install by navigating to the qualcom folder and the the system folder you have. like amd64 or i386 or win832 or win864
You will have to do this 4 times for manual install. There are 4 different drivers used by windows.

See here if you need help or search similar for your os.
http://www.skyneel.com/2015/05/download-latest-alcatel-usb-drivers.html

You need another driver for the sideload.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8jitdIyh2NtVlN2NEdnRWJTbTg/view?usp=sharing

Just unzip it and run the executable.
When you boot into recovery and select apply update from adb and then plug the phone into the computer it will automatically load the driver.
If you have trouble in newer versions of windows you might have to turn off driver signing. But i dont remember having to.

You will have to google how to disable signing for your operating system.

What if i'm running Linux !!!!!!
Hooray things are so much easier. :cool::cool::cool:
WE DON'T need no stinking DRIVERS.

No really though....If you seriously want to get involved in android development....
You need Linux. And i will tell you it is so much faster and pain free than windows I will never go back.:eek:

At a minimum you need to install ADB and Fastboot.
Just sudo apt-get

Or install android sdk for linux. :) Better !! :)
You may need to update the android 51 rules if your device isn't recognized.

http://bernaerts.dyndns.org/linux/74-ubuntu/328-ubuntu-trusty-android-adb-fastboot-qtadb

Another good resource.
https://community.freescale.com/thread/327811

Android 51 rules > Ie. Device identifiers
https://github.com/snowdream/51-android

I guess that's enough to get you started.
I posted how to flash the rom previously. I will re-write but i think this is about it for today. I actually have a job now unfortunately. ;)

I am allays willing to help if you need it. Just send me a message and if im not at work i will get right back to you.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: Numcore
Upvote 0
I am in the process of editing the above post. Sorry for the mess.

I just noticed that the superuser.apk is not in the system apps folder for the 7040N rom. So hold off on flashing it. You may loose root access. If you have all ready flashed it don't worry. And you dont have to root the phone again. I will update the rom with superuser as a system app. Thats the good thing about flashing my recovery. If needed it is easy for me to make changes to the rom and you will have no trouble flashing it with the recovery even if you did loose root.

I am making a better tutorial and will post updated 7040N rom.

I am waiting to hear back from the 7040N backup donor. I do see the su files in the xbin folder so fixing could be as easy as re-installing the SuperSU app. Anyway i requested the donor to move the SU app to the system and send me a new backup.

If i don't hear back by tomorrow i will manually implement it and re-upload the 7040N rom.

If you cant wait or your device is shot its ok to load the current 7040N rom that is posted. It wont hurt anything. Worse case scenario you might not have root right off the bat.

If you flash and loose root try reinstalling the supersu app. Or you could allways run kingo again.

As soon as i have updated rom i will post and you can flash it. Easy fix.

Anyway I know some people have downloaded the files. What are your results ??
We are all waiting to hear.

It cant be bad I would guess if it was We would have heard about that by now. o_O

Thanks

As all ways if you need help don't be afraid to PM me. Even if you know nothing and you want to try this I will walk you through it.

Happy Flashing:)

Last edited:
Reactions: Heights713
Upvote 0
Note: THIS IS FOR 7040T only.
IF YOU WANT 7040N someone needs to get me a good backup from 7040N and the Recovery.img too.

Requires: ADB in windows or linux and currently booting phone.

If your device is boot-looped you could try to flash the recovery.img with ADB dd command.
I can help you with that. First turn off the phone completely and then connect to computer.
I know you will be able to access the adb shell with the phone off. Im just not sure if you can get su access. I don't think you can but its worth a try. If you have adbd insecure there might be a chance.

Step #1
FLASH RECOVERY WITH FLASHIFY APP.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8jitdIyh2NtNEFyRzJ3NUtVdk0/view?usp=sharing

Step #2
Get onandroid and make a nandroid backup of your phone.
Weather the phone has issues or not just make the backup.
If something were to go wrong we can flash your backup back to your phone.
Onandroid may not get the bo0t.img or recovery.img you can get those with adb.

I appreciate your help . We all can benefit from this.
;););):cool::cool::):):)

Regarding Step #2,what type of recovery is yours recovery4.img?
onandroid required a working CWM, TWRP or 4EXT based recovery to install.

Upvote 0
The recovery is a standard android recovery. Its patched to allow flashing. To use onandroid extract the zip file and push the onandroid script to the /data folder using adb. If you cant make a backup its ok we have good backups now.

I need to re upload the recovery image and the rom. I guess its not passing the signature verification. Not sure what i did. Either i signed the rom with the wrong keys or didnt patch the recovery right.

Will update everything and post later tonight.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones