• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Sadly, a lot of sound medical science has been politicized, but that has been going on for 100's of years. Why believe in microorganisms that you cannot see with the naked eye, when you can blame it on demons and witchcraft?
Yes, or brush it off, as in the early days of the AIDS pandemic, when Reagan and his buddies refused to even acknowledge it because...well, it was only gay men dying. And some Haitian IV drug users. *shrug* Their straight, white, upright, uptight, lives and friends couldn't be affected by it, right? Wrong, as they found out. But the idea that lives didn't matter much because their sexual orientation or ethnicity was different, you know, it still makes my blood boil to this day. :mad:

After Magic Johnson announced that he was HIV+, and then less than 3 weeks later, Freddie Mercury died, I got busy! That was the catalyst for me to get involved. I didn't care that my cohorts and I weren't likely to get HIV, it mattered to me that people were dying from this horrid disease, and politics and prejudice had no place in it whatsoever. That led to one of the best, mixed with saddest, times of my life, volunteering at an HIV/AIDS clinic.

It's hard to believe that nearly three decades later, a virus has been politicized again. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Well, here in lovely SoCal, we have ZERO percent space available in ICU units. Not just LA county, *ALL* of Southern California.

What caused this? The worst surge since the beginning? The worst surge, PERIOD? Why, people who couldn't refrain from participating in Thanksgiving festivities as if this was just another year! Like the imbecile who spent Thanksgiving weekend with his family--out of town--then came back, was NOT required by his company to quarantine at home (they said he could quarantine in the break room--but he didn't), started coughing all over the place, no mask, and guess what? Infected my niece. :mad:

Upvote 0
Well my 71 year mom tested positive Monday after an unrelated stay in the hospital (the only time she has left her house this year). She's back in a different hospital. My brother tested positive Tuesday after visiting her multiple times the 1st hospital stay so he is quarantined.

Had a co-worker pass from it within the past 2 weeks and we have had many either test positive or be quarantined after prolonged exposure.

This virus sucks. Widespread vaccinations cannot get here soon enough. Sadly the only way I see some getting the vaccine is if their employer mandates it which is perfectly legal.

Upvote 0
Well my 71 year mom tested positive Monday after an unrelated stay in the hospital (the only time she has left her house this year). She's back in a different hospital. My brother tested positive Tuesday after visiting her multiple times the 1st hospital stay so he is quarantined.

Had a co-worker pass from it within the past 2 weeks and we have had many either test positive or be quarantined after prolonged exposure.

This virus sucks. Widespread vaccinations cannot get here soon enough. Sadly the only way I see some getting the vaccine is if their employer mandates it which is perfectly legal.
Ouch man, we are there for you emotionally.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
I hope everyone pulls through okay @jhtalisman. I lost a dear friend to the disease this past fall. He was a Navy vet who was in an assisted care facility following a stroke that left him in a wheelchair. I would take my dogs down to visit -- they were is best buds. Unfortunately, he didn't believe the virus was real in the beginning. After the first stay-at-home order they prohibited all non-family visitors so I never saw him again. :(

Upvote 0
It took only six weeks for California to go from ONE million to TWO million cases.

We have imbeciles like Kirk Cameron, who calls himself "pro-life" yet he's hosting and promoting SUPER-SPREADER events. Like a few days ago, he and a group of similarly ignorant people got together to sing Christmas carols. No physical distancing, no masks, SINGING (which is one of the worst things to do in terms of spreading this virus), complete with children and families. He's causing people's DEATHS. DEATHS!! How dare he call himself pro-LIFE? :mad:

@lunatic59 and others who've lost someone dear to them, I'm so sorry...

Upvote 0
It took only six weeks for California to go from ONE million to TWO million cases.

We have imbeciles like Kirk Cameron, who calls himself "pro-life" yet he's hosting and promoting SUPER-SPREADER events. Like a few days ago, he and a group of similarly ignorant people got together to sing Christmas carols. No physical distancing, no masks, SINGING (which is one of the worst things to do in terms of spreading this virus), complete with children and families. He's causing people's DEATHS. DEATHS!! How dare he call himself pro-LIFE? :mad:

I am mad too, too many anti-maskers around here. Such a pity on how much they tend to forget about it.

Upvote 0

At least there is leadership attempting to do the right thing.

In TN, we have former HVAC contractor as governor, who is best buddies with the outgoing President. He has yet to implement, in 9 months, any relevant order nor action to combat this virus. It is insane. Everything has been left to local governments, many of which refuse to hold up any order or mandate to even begin to stop this. I'm done with arguing with imbeciles. It is time to mask up and do everything you can if you want OUR country to return to anything resembling 2019 or before.

Funny that it is those that want everything open yet refuse to wear masks, social distance or refrain from gatherings with those outside their home. It's almost as if it is counterproductive to what they want.......

Upvote 0
So how do you buy a mask when you run out? You cannot enter a store that sells masks. You need a mask? :rob:
Online! That's how I buy everything, anyway.

I think you'd be okay using a t-shirt or bandana tied to cover your nose and mouth while you went inside to buy masks.

Upvote 0
From today's LA Times:

Christmas arrived in Los Angeles County with hospitals in a full-blown coronavirus crisis.

There are now so many patients that some hospitals are running dangerously low on oxygen and other supplies critical to treating those with COVID-19.

Patients are waiting as many as eight hours in ambulances before they can enter the emergency room. With intensive care units at 0% available capacity, health officials are urging that people avoid emergency rooms or dialing 911 for assistance unless absolutely necessary...

This is awful. People are going to die because of this. When I was sick (before anyone heard of COVID-19), if I'd had to wait eight MINUTES before entering the ER, I wouldn't be here writing this. Ditto for 0% ICU availability, and lack of oxygen.

I can't overstate how important it is that people obey the COVID-related guidelines put out by reputable sources, like Dr Anthony Fauci. Sure, wearing a mask is a pain, but let me assure you that it beats the hell out of dying, or being so sick you wish you had died. Family gatherings? Same thing. Forego those today so you and your relatives can spend time together later. If you're dead...not so much. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
So how do you buy a mask when you run out? You cannot enter a store that sells masks. You need a mask? :rob:

Earlier in the year some friends and I went to the local Metro cash-and-carry(like Costco or Sam's Club). And because one forgot his mask, they wouldn't let him in. So we thought Metro should sell masks, so I went in to buy a mask then come back out quick. But because Metro is bulk cash-and-carry, we had to buy a carton of 120 masks! We didn't have to buy any more masks for a few months.

Although since then, stores and malls here in Jinan don't require customers to wear masks. They're only required for buses, subway, and taxis.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Welcome to Android Forums, Qarco! :)

One thing to keep in mind: you're not alone. Even if you're living by yourself and not seeing your normal people, you've got us! :D We're here and we're a friendly bunch.

Things will be okay, but it's going to take time. No one alive today has ever seen anything like this pandemic. This is the stuff of "grandma/grandpa's tales" for our grandchildren and great-grandchildren one day. "You wouldn't believe it, but back in 2020, we were LOCKED DOWN! The whole world stopped! :eek:"

So hang in there. It's going to get better, eventually.

Upvote 0
I am currently watching some news coverage about the corona virus and the vaccines, once again red flags are popping out each time I hear some so called "Official" speak it sounds like they rehearsing a script even the Q&A's seem staged.
I still firmly believe that one, the virus was engineer, second that it was allowed to spread, that instead being absolute @ssholes and shutting down borders, stopping travel, the source of the virus could have been trace, so called patient zero located and the necessary steps taken to curtail it.
But no, not in the modern world of political correctness and over sensitivity,
Third, the corona virus has been a case study in population control
Fourth its about profit, I keep seeing more articles about how there have been with the two supposed vaccines that were approved,
I am waiting for these vaccines to suddenly become ineffective and to suddenly be pulled or a a third vaccine to be released that has to be taken with the one of the other two.
Finally thought I think we are still facing a long battle

Upvote 0
My cousin is getting vaccinated Tuesday; she's on staff at UCLA. I still don't qualify, and don't know when I will. The next group will be people 75 and up, and while I'm old, I'm not that old. So probably a few months from now. The minute my doctor says I can take it, I'm there.

No, I'm not worried about side effects. EVERYTHING, every drug ever invented has side effects. I'd much rather have some mild side effects than COVID-19, so I'll be on it!

Also, if anyone thinks these first vaccines are going to protect them 100%, you'd better rethink that. That's a totally unrealistic expectation. But as they're honed and fine-tuned, they'll get better. I don't mind if I need to take additional shots later. Whatever, I'll be there.

In case anyone wonders what it's like to not be able to breathe, or have various other organs fail, let me tell you: IT SUCKS. That's why I plan on doing everything possible to prevent that from happening again.

Upvote 0
roflanimated.gif

Upvote 0
Personally, I'd give my right arm to recieve the vacine. ;)

Also, if anyone thinks these first vaccines are going to protect them 100%, you'd better rethink that. That's a totally unrealistic expectation. But as they're honed and fine-tuned, they'll get better. I don't mind if I need to take additional shots later. Whatever, I'll be there.

The results reported by Pfizer and Moderna were quite surprisingly high at >90% efficiency, and may not be the whole story. I don't believe that either set of trials have addressed asymptomatic cases, which means they can only claim that they are 90% effective in preventing symptomatic illness, not 90% effective in preventing infection. This is an important distinction, as it means vacinated people may still be asymptomatic carriers who may still continue spreading the disease (to some degree).The Oxford vacine in comparison did track asymptomatic cases, which may explain their apparent lower but perhaps more rigorous result of 62% efficacy.

The good thing is that the vaccines don't actually need to be near 100% effective for each individual to protect the population at large. As long as a high enough percentage of the population is immune, the virus won't be able to spread exponentially in the way it does now. A hasty google suggests that the annual flu vacines are anywhere from 30%-60% effective, as a point of comparison.

Upvote 0
so there is an article that just read in the LA Times about how some healthcare workers are refusing to get vaccinated. this frustrates me more then anything. we can't reach herd immunity unless we all get vaccinated. about half of the population according to some polls don't trust the vaccines. how are going to get people to go out and get vaccinated if healthcare workers do not trust it?

https://www.latimes.com/california/...thcare-workers-refuse-covid-19-vaccine-access

Reactions: MoodyBlues
Upvote 0
so there is an article that just read in the LA Times about how some healthcare workers are refusing to get vaccinated. this frustrates me more then anything. we can't reach herd immunity unless we all get vaccinated. about half of the population according to some polls don't trust the vaccines. how are going to get people to go out and get vaccinated if healthcare workers do not trust it?

https://www.latimes.com/california/...thcare-workers-refuse-covid-19-vaccine-access
I know, it's downright shocking! My cousin, who's on staff at UCLA, was telling me about that yesterday. I was just speechless. (She wasn't talking specifically about UCLA, but healthcare workers in general.) WHAT is wrong with these folks? Of all people, you'd expect them to know better. :rolleyes:

One thing my cousin pointed out is that 'healthcare workers' is a BROAD term; in the case of this pandemic, it's referring to everyone from the loftiest physician to the humble cleaning person. They're all on the front line, so they're included. She said she assumes it's the less educated ranks who are refusing it. She doesn't know any doctor or nurse who's refusing it.

When stories like this are told, they really need to quantify who the respondents are.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones