• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
The warning is simply a secure certificate warning. If you remove the "s" from https://, the warning will go away. It has nothing to do with the file, and everything to do with the URL.

Kind of like turning off your burglar alarm?

I like that s right where it is, thank you; it's quite informative, for one little letter in a URL. ;)

Upvote 0
I'm on my Linux computer [makes me a little cavalier]. I clicked through the "untrusted" warning and downloaded the file. Yeah. Called OTA for Verizon Desire? Unzipped the archive...looking inside...here's a screenshot of contents:
screenshot.png

Upvote 0
Kind of like turning off your burglar alarm?

I like that s right where it is, thank you; it's quite informative, for one little letter in a URL. ;)

Not really.
Chances are, the security certificate was purchased for google.com and not "android.clients.google.com". Just a name mismatch in the security certificate.

It's clearly a URL FROM Google, it's not like its a phishing site or something screwy like that. The file is completely safe. Whether or not it's the right one, I don't know. But it's not going to hurt you.

I've been a web developer for 10 years. I've done my share of e-commerce sites, dealing with certs and the like. I know that page when I see it.

:D

That being said, no one is twisting your arm to download the file... just don't discourage others from trying it because you think it's a bad url, when it's not.

Upvote 0
I'm on my Linux computer [makes me a little cavalier]. I clicked through the "untrusted" warning and downloaded the file. Yeah. Called OTA for Verizon Desire? Unzipped the archive...looking inside...here's a screenshot of contents:
screenshot.png

yeah i saw this too with the files from 2008, i went a lil deeper and found some more zip folders in the system or somewhere in there that had march 2010 dates on them. i donno im about to try it.. gonna rename file because it wont work with the boot mode as the current file name.

Upvote 0
I've been a web developer for 10 years. I've done my share of e-commerce sites, dealing with certs and the like. I know that page when I see it.

That being said, no one is twisting your arm to download the file... just don't discourage others from trying it because you think it's a bad url, when it's not.
Yes, I completely agree. It's not like you're supplying credit card info to the site and have to worry about security/encryption.

That said, the "warning" you get from an expired or wrong cross-referenced certificate is VERY different than what you get from a dangerous or malicious site that Firefox or Chrome protect you with.

Upvote 0
just don't discourage others from trying it because you think it's a bad url, when it's not.

I whole heartedly discourage anybody from going to that site and downloading anything from it because my browser displays a (low level) warning.

It is better to be patient and wait for a change in that warning, over the long haul, than to poke around sites like that; been there, done that.

Upvote 0
That said, the "warning" you get from an expired or wrong cross-referenced certificate is VERY different than what you get from a dangerous or malicious site that Firefox or Chrome protect you with.

That's correct. If I open the link in Firefox, I get "This Connection is untrusted".
Then if I look in the technical details, it explains just what I have:

android.clients.google.com uses an invalid security certificate.
The certificate is only valid for the following names:
*.google.com , google.com
(Error code: ssl_error_bad_cert_domain)

Upvote 0
I whole heartedly discourage anybody from going to that site and downloading anything from it because my browser displays a (low level) warning.

It is better to be patient and wait for a change in that warning, over the long haul, than to poke around sites like that; been there, done that.

I downloaded it had absolutely no warnings popup, went through the files and there was nothing suspicious at all, except that the dates on ALL the files was "September 1st 2008". :thinking:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones