• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

2.2 Froyo for the Captivate Discussion

stop bitching and just get a froyo rom from over at XDA

my cognition has a pretty solid build

+1. The best thing about running the Cognition ROM is the ad blocker! When I got the 2.1 update it moved the ads in Angry Birds from the lower right of the screen to the upper right. I was flashing an Angry Bird alright!! I made up my mind then to flash a ROM and I'm happy about it.

JoeMap

Upvote 0
But after all new roms are playing with your CPU right? its all hacked versions. Also after reading all over XDA and here, there are many people who have bbricked and have buggy phones now.

I am over my 30 days return period and I want some flash on my browser. There are no sign on official Froyo coming to my phone anytime soon. Still confused to see so many effing ROMS, darn cant decide which is safest, easiest and more useful.

Even Samsung FB page said that Canada will get it in Dec Mid. Wtf is there problem with US. Isnt the US is like most influenciel nation in the world.

And i dont think its ATT, becoz if Streak got 2.2 than Captivate should get it too. Also none of the other Galaxy S varient has recieved it.

Upvote 0
So, I'm running stock JF6 and for grins and giggles I tapped "check for update" (which I almost never do because I haven't been stock in a while)- I DL an update, the phone says it will install, boots to a white screen with blues text (didn't look familiar) and it gets to 50% done, popped up a "update failed" notice and rebooted.

Now I can't check again for another 24 hours. :(

Upvote 0
I do find it funny that the OP wants Froyo NOW, but doesn't want the Froyo that's available now, because it's buggy.

I agree with the others in this thread. If you want it now, you have to accept the bugs that might come with it. If you want it sans current issues, then wait for them to fix the issues and release a "stable" version. (and yes, I do realize the current leak is pretty solid.)

I can't wait til we get Froyo released. Then we'll get to hear all the whining about how terrible it is that other phones are getting Gingerbread and we don't have it yet...

Upvote 0
But after all new roms are playing with your CPU right? its all hacked versions. Also after reading all over XDA and here, there are many people who have bbricked and have buggy phones now.

These guys are not bricking their phones because a new rom is causing an issue, they are soft-bricking their phones because the roms are failing to install properly for whatever reason (mainly user error). I've seen very few cases of truly bricked phones. Most of the time when you see people make help threads saying their phone is bricked, it's a "soft brick" and easily recoverable. Phones in this state can be booted directed into download mode and reflashed to an operable state.

As for buggy phones, it depends on the rom you select. There are roms out there that are in more of a "beta" stage than others, and there are ones that I consider perfectly fine for 24/7 usage. The information one needs to make a decision is out there...you just need to take the time to find it.

Upvote 0
I don't know if any of you heard this also but on the last engadget podcast they asked a Samsung rep why the Continuum was shipping with 2.1 and not 2.2 and the response was that they viewed froyo as just marketing, there weren't enough improvements to make it worth the while, and that gingerbread is the real update. Makes me wonder if they have the same view for the cappy...

Upvote 0
Well, it's not the end of your life if you have to wait a month for a minor update to a stupid phone, an update 99% of it's owners probably dont even know exists as normal people have no idea of the technical details of their phone.

I think the bitter complainers here are far, far, far worse than Samsung is. It's kind of like bad airline service, or email spam back in the day. The people complaining about it are far worse and more annoying than the actual problem.

At least we're getting 2.2. A true example of bad support would be if we weren't getting 2.2 at all.

Also, I saw a chart on Android Central recently, and about the same percent of Android phones are on 2.2 as are still on 2.1 (it was something like 40% for each) So that tells me Samsung isn't even an outlier here. Just as many people dont have 2.2 yet as do have it, across all manufacturers.

Also, I dont think it's even Samsung here, could be AT&T and others too.

FACT...and a good post.

If you're complaining about a test/beta OS not working right, do your math. I'd much rather wait on something solid and tested. Blame it on Samsung or AT&T, whatever floats your boat. We don't know the specifics about the development or anything else. I'd like to have a new OS too but it is what it is.

My problem is with Skype and AT&T, where Skype has indicated AT&T is holding up the deployment of this app for their Android phones. Outside of that moderator response from the Skype forums there isn't anything confirmed otherwise. Skype ordered Nimbuzz and Fring to stop using their service. So that's screwed too and the two times I tried using Nimbuzz, it echoed and rang while using Wifi.

Upvote 0
Let me change that frown to a smile (requires root privileges):

Software Updates - CapFAQ

You can also use Root Explorer to navigate to dbdata/databases/com.wssyncmldm

Delete wssdmdatabase.db and reboot.

Update count is now clear for another try prior to the 24 hour delay.

Thanks for this but I think I'm gonna stay un-rooted for a while this time around. Less bugs/shutdowns.

Upvote 0
Some people complain and some people complain about the complainers. Who's more foolish the fool or the fool who follows him?

And there are those who simply recognize the reality that there are individuals who derive perpetual gratification by wallowing in unhappiness.

Eclair sucks, where's Froyo?
Froyo sucks, where's Gingerbread?
...and so on.

Somewhere, somehow life's priorities have become askew.

Upvote 0
Everyone bought this phone KNOWING that it was running eclair and not froyo. Neither Samsung nor AT&T has ever given a date certain for froyo. I don't understand why so many people are going crazy that froyo is not officially out for the Captivate yet.

Samsung and At&t sold, and we all bought, a smart phone. No more, no less. Samsung and At&t are in the business of selling phones and data plans. Not operating systems. They don't care if we buy an android, an iphone, or a windows phone. As long as we buy and get a data package.

If At&t had come out and said "froyo by sept. 23" and did not deliver, that is one thing. But to the best of my knowledge, they never did that. We all have a working phone with a beautiful screen and a lot of horsepower. That is what we purchased.

Personally, I prefer froyo to eclair so I have been running froyo Roms for quite some time. I am not saying that is right for anyone else, but I am happy with my decision. Everyone complaining has that option. If you do not want to avail yourselves of that option, then you can either buy a different phone or wait.

I just do not understand the level of frustration on this issue. Maybe I just do not get it. What I do know is that complaining on these boards is not going to make At&t or Samsung work any faster on this.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones