• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root A Step by Step Guide to getting Amazon Appstore, & Google Play on a Curtis Klu LT7033

Known good:

LT7033 A thru E
LT8029
LT7035
PLT7035

As yet Untested:

PLT7044K
LT8042
LT8088
PLT8088

If you are successful getting Google Play on one of the untested units Please report your success so The list can be updated.
I rooted my wife's PLT7044k with no problems. I used Google Play 4.0.7 as the one listed would'nt download. Also I used the newest version of ES. The only difference was how u give r/w for Google Play. My wife was excited to see she was able to use Google Play on the PLT7044k.

Thank you for everyone's hard work on this.

I also have the klu lt7035d and cant seem to find a driver that works. Ive downloaded the zip, when I try to update the driver, I choose the file containing the driver (sub folders checked) and it cant find a valid driver. Also the tool kit says its based on ICS, but my klu is Jelly bean. Will this make a difference? I tried running the tool kit with generic device (prob not a good idea) with no results. Im pretty android savvy, so this is kind of making me want to bash my head against the wall and make a trip back to hhgregg. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Hello! I have the Proscan PLT7044K - i was able to root it without issue, and I was also able to get the play store loaded up just fine using the instructions in this thread - the only issue I seem to be having are connection timeouts - so I have yet to verify that I can actually load my apps using the store - as soon as I know one way or the other I'll edit the post and let everyone know :) Thanks for helping me get it to where it is!

- as an aside, this particular tablet runs as slow as molasses when using the net for anything.

EDIT: It works just fine! Moved closer to the router, Used the webstore on firefox and was able to load Minecraft Pocket Edition without issue :)

The root method in post #4 worked on plt8088. No other method worke due to not having the drivers. But post #4 resulted in needed drivers and i was able to get google market. I am so thrilled. Thankyou! I saw your list of confirmed devices. add me! Hope this helps someone else!

I guess a noob like me can't post to xda. I wanted to say thanks and confirm on that thread about RK29Tool providing drivers for and rooting the proscan 8" plt8088. If anyone here can post over at xda on the RK29 tool thread please pass this info along. I know how frustrating it is to search and search. I want to push this info to anysite I can to help anyone else make the most out of this tablet. With google market this tab is a great bang for the buck. Thanks again for all the hard work and info.

my ex wife bought my daughter the lt7033 and she broght it over this weekend and was upset because she couldnt do anything with it last night I knew nothing of root or any of this but after a couple tries she is playing angry birds and candy crush with a smile on her face. I thought the tablet was junk but I happened upon this forum you guys are great i cant thank you enough

Hey guys, I seem to be having some problems with my PLT-7044k. I ran into the same problems runner409 initially did, but I can't seem to fix it. I'm running a 64-bit version of Windows 7, and the drivers flat-out aren't detected (very similar to runner409). Unfortunately, it's been far too long out of the return policy for me to return it..does this mean my device is broken.

Thanks for all the help here.

Welcome to our AndroidForums, charlie1103, Copro, Shrev64, and mtomp! :)

SuperNoober did a great job with this thread, eh?

Glad you guys found what you needed and hope you'll hang around.

Cheers!

I recently got a Proscan PLT8088 tablet for free, which was cool. What was not cool is the lame SlideMe app store. I followed the instructions listed here and now the tablet is awesome. I got rid of the Twitter and Facebook apps because I absolutely despise social media, and installed the newest version of google play. I would also like to add this was the first device I've ever rooted and it went perfectly as a result of the flawless instructions by SuperNoober. So thanks a million I really appreciate it!

Hi! I just bought a klu lt7033 off my friend and tried everything to get google play on it! I've been working on ir for hours and read this forum many times! I got it rooted, but when I copy the play store and reboot, it doest show up at all. What am I doing wrong? Please help! I see everyone else being able to access google play and I feel dumb!

Hi! I just bought a klu lt7033 off my friend and tried everything to get google play on it! I've been working on ir for hours and read this forum many times! I got it rooted, but when I copy the play store and reboot, it doest show up at all. What am I doing wrong? Please help! I see everyone else being able to access google play and I feel dumb!

Welcome to our AndroidForums, Jennifer! :)

I'm not sure I'd be of much help to you here (I don't own a Klu (I don't have a clue? :p)), but I'm hoping one of the folks up above will lend their help in helping you get the Play Market working on your device.

Crossing fingers for you and glad you signed-up with us.

Cheers!

Hi! I just bought a klu lt7033 off my friend and tried everything to get google play on it! I've been working on it for hours and read this forum many times! I got it rooted, but when I copy the play store and reboot, it doest show up at all. What am I doing wrong? Please help! I see everyone else being able to access google play and I feel dumb!

WARNING: If you don't feel dumb while trying to figure out what is wrong with your computer, you may already have become a geek!

This is not a problem that I encountered, but there have been a number of people who have reported having a problem getting Google play to start up, and in each case they solved their problem by changing the file permissions of the com.android.vending-1.apk

Background Info:
There are three types of file permission associated with the files on your computer, read, write, and execute. There are also three types of users who might want to access the files on your computer, user (you), group (your local network), and other (everyone else).
You may have noticed that the people who changed their permissions set them to 755. Each digit in this number represents a user type, so in this case it would be user permission = 7, group permission = 5, and others permission =5. The way these values are calculated is read = 4, write = 2, and execute = 1. So the cryptic 755 means that the user has read, write, & execute privileges, the (local) group has read & execute privileges, and everyone else has read & execute privileges also.

You may have noticed that in post 13 I issued a warning telling people to turn off Super User privileges in ES File Explorer immediately after copying the com.android.vending-1.apk to the /system/app/ (folder). This is where I believe I unwittingly introduced the problem which has been causing you (and undoubtedly many others) grief. Here's why, when Super User privileges are disabled in ES File Explorer, the program automatically sets the permissions within the /system/ folder to 444 or read only for all users, and this prevents the Google Play Store from being set up on boot up.

So here is what I want you to try...
Open ES File Explorer and navigate to the /system/app/ (folder)
Make sure your com.android.vending-1.apk is there, if it is then...
(Along the lower left) Press menu (3 vertical dots) > Settings > Root settings > check Root Explorer >
(a pop up) select yes > (another pop up) check remember and then select allow > check Mount File System > (pop up) allow.
Press the back button. (you should be in /system/app/ (folder) )
Long press the com.android.vending-1.apk until a menu opens.
Scroll to the bottom of the menu & select Properties.
Press Change
A 3 by 3 matrix of 9 check boxes will appear,
check...
User: read,write, & execute
Group: read, & execute
Other: read, & execute
Press OK
Press OK
Use the back button to get out of ES File Explorer and back to your “desktop”
Shut Down
Reboot
Your Google Play app should now be in your list of apps, you can fire it up to make sure it works, but your not done yet, before you get too happy I want you to...
Open ES File Explorer and uncheck Mount File System. (You remember how right?)
I can't stress enough how important it is to not leave it checked on an ongoing basis.
As always let everyone know if this worked for you, so people having the same problem... won't.
SN

Welcome weary traveler from out_Post # 4. I'm sure by now you've searched the internet several times over and still can't find an ADB driver that will work for you. So I'm sure your going to be especially happy to find out that all you have to do is cut and paste a few lines of code. Here's how...

Open the device manager and find your device. It should be listed as an Android _____. (Phone, Device)
Do not use Other Devices... LT7033 as this will change your hardware id. A mistake I do not yet know how to recover from!!!
Click the arrow next to Android ______ and then double click on the device description that drops down. This will open a properties dialog box. Click...
Details tab > Property (drop down list) > choose Hardware Ids
The hardware ids of your tablet are now displayed in the Value box.
Just let the properties dialog box sit open.

Your task is to compare your hardware id values to the following list which was extracted from the android_winusb.inf file.

USB\VID_2207&PID_0000&MI_01
USB\VID_2207&PID_0001&MI_01
USB\VID_2207&PID_0002&MI_01
USB\VID_2207&PID_0003&MI_01
USB\VID_2207&PID_0004&MI_01
USB\VID_2207&PID_0005&MI_01
USB\VID_2207&PID_0006

If one of your hardware id numbers is included in the above list...
On the properties dialog and click > Driver tab > Update driver > Browse > Let me pick > Highlight the Composit ADB Interface > Have Disk > Browse to the ADB Driver RK29 folder > & click android_winusb.inf > Open
Windows will warn you that the driver is unsigned, just choose install anyway. Return to post 4 to finish.

If neither of your hardware id numbers is included in the above list you are going to have to edit the android_winusb.inf file to include your device.

Start > Computer > Navigate your computer's file structure to find the ADB Driver RK29 folder you extracted earlier. You are going to dig down into this folder to find the android_winusb.inf file. You should find the file in the same folder that has the two additional folders:
amd64
i386

Click the android_winusb.inf file once to highlight it, then right click it to open the context menu.
Click open with... > Notepad > OK
Click File > Save As...
change the file name to android_winusb.bak
and change the file type from .txt to all files *.*
click ok
The file you just saved will serve as a backup of the original file.

Click file > open > change the document type from Text documents *.txt to all files *.* >
double click the android_winusb.inf file to open it.

Scroll down through the file and under the [Google.NTx86] heading, you will find Moto Sholes as the third device listed. Copy and paste the three lines directly under the [Google.NTx86] heading like so...

[Google.NTx86]
;Moto Sholes
%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_22B8&PID_41DB
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_22B8&PID_41DB&MI_01

Now edit the three lines so they include the information for your device. You can Right click and copy your hardware id values directly from properties dialog box. Use the shorter number for your SingleAdbInterface, and the longer number for your CompositeAdbInterface. Here is an example:

[Google.NTx86]
;Curtis Klu LT7035J
%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_2207&PID_0010&MI_01
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_2207&PID_0010&REV_0222&MI_01

Now copy the three lines you edited and paste them directly under the [Google.NTamd64] heading like so...

[Google.NTamd64]
;Curtis Klu LT7035J
%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_2207&PID_0010&MI_01
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_2207&PID_0010&REV_0222&MI_01

Click file > save.

On the properties dialog and click > Driver tab > Update driver > Browse > Let me pick > Highlight the Composit ADB Interface > Have Disk > Browse to the ADB Driver RK29 folder > & click android_winusb.inf > Open
Windows will warn you that the driver is unsigned, just choose install anyway.

After the driver loads return to post 4 to finish.

I need a little help findn a root and the other stuff for the curtis klu lt1041 and help is much help

warning: do not attempt to use the firmware update currently posted at the curtis international web site! The tablet will be left without touchscreen response. Curtis international has not responded to the demands of it's customers to provide support for it's products! (warning posted 6-28-13 this warning refers to the lt7033 firmware update only. This warning will be removed when curtis int. Decides to support this product the way any manufacturer should.)

[this thread is based on the previous thread: [how to] get google play on lt7033]

note: If you have the klu lt7052 see this thread instead... http://androidforums.com/klu-lt7033...ppstore-google-play-klu-lt7052-step-step.html

the curtis klu lt7033 is really a nice piece of hardware. The main problem with it is that it ships with two preloaded market apps that aren't very good. The first one, getjar doesn't work at all. The second one slideme is nice, but has a very limited selection of apps available, and it requires you to establish an account with them before you can use it. So, what this tablet really needs is to have the two major app markets, amazon appstore, and google play available. This brings us to the second major limitation of this device. The device originally shipped without root access. This limitation prevents the easy addition of the google play market. Curtis quickly realized their error in doing this and began shipping the device with root access starting with the lt7033d model number & later.

(note: To find out which model you have, read it from the box it shipped in.)

i know the length of this guide makes it seem like a daunting task, but trust me, its not. The guide is set up like a flow chart so the majority of you won't even have to go half way through before finishing, and even those who have to work all the way through will find skip forward points.

After getting amazon appstore and google play i've been able to get netflix, dish remote access, the overdrive media console, and of course angry birds. This is a great little toy once its set up, and trust me, all the hard work is done. This is easy.

This guide represents the culmination of a great deal of work by well over a dozen people. Please take a moment or two to give us some feedback. Was there something you found confusing,:confused: Say so. Was there something omitted,:mad: Say so, and if you find it helpful, your welcome,:d but say so. Not only will you be helping us to understand how to make the guide better, you will be helping others overcome the fear to try. From all of us who have worked so hard i want to thank you in advance for helping us make this guide better by posting your replies.

Now on to the next post, and lets begin.

I bought a Proscan PLT8088 a week ago. It is in the "Known Good" list (post #16). Thanks to SuperNoober, mavrikmeercat, et al, it is now rooted (Superuser, BusyBox, ES File Explorer, and ES Task Manager all in Apps). Play Store is also in Apps but gives "Unfortunately, Google Play Store has stopped"

The PLT8088 has JB 4.1.1 and already had Amazon installed, so I started by trying to download com.android.vending-3.10.10.apk. That link has expired but I easily found com.android.vending-4.1.10.apk and downloaded that.

Next, I downloaded ES File Explorer and started it. Nothing matched SuperNoober's description. Back to the ES download page, I scrolled down and discovered ES File Explorer Classic (Old version) es_file_explorer_v1.6.2.5.apk (2.72 MB). It replaced the new version and then all of SuperNoober's instructions made sense.

All was going well until I went to /system/app/ to paste in the Google Play apk I downloaded earlier. All of the files in /system/app/ are in alphabetical order and they all have icons. There was no file starting with "com", there were several starting with "Google" but no "Play Store" and no Playstore icon.

At this point there was no Play Store icon if I opened Apps on the tablet, but after I opened Downloads and installed the com.android.vending-4.1.10.apk from there, now there is a Play Store icon in Apps but it still does not show up in /system/app/ so I can't edit the permissions for it.

I am mystified. The Apps page has 33 icons. It is an 8 inch tablet so they all fit on one page. There are 90 icons with filenames in /system/app/. All except 3 of the icons on the Apps page are in /system/app/. The missing icons are Camera, ES File Explorer, and Play Store.

The message "Unfortunately, Google Play Store has stopped" appears on the Home screen every time I boot. I'm using a LT with Win7 Ultimate, but I also have Ubuntu 13.04. My investment in the tablet is < $70 and a few hours of time so I'm willing to try anything reasonable.

Just another learning experience,
J.B.

I bought a Proscan PLT8088 a week ago. It is in the "Known Good" list (post #16). Thanks to SuperNoober, mavrikmeercat, et al, it is now rooted (Superuser, BusyBox, ES File Explorer, and ES Task Manager all in Apps). Play Store is also in Apps but gives "Unfortunately, Google Play Store has stopped"
The PLT8088 has JB 4.1.1 and already had Amazon installed, so I started by trying to download com.android.vending-3.10.10.apk. That link has expired but I easily found com.android.vending-4.1.10.apk and downloaded that.
Next, I downloaded ES File Explorer and started it. Nothing matched SuperNoober's description. Back to the ES download page, I scrolled down and discovered ES File Explorer Classic (Old version) es_file_explorer_v1.6.2.5.apk (2.72 MB). It replaced the new version and then all of SuperNoober's instructions made sense.
All was going well until I went to /system/app/ to paste in the Google Play apk I downloaded earlier. All of the files in /system/app/ are in alphabetical order and they all have icons. There was no file starting with "com", there were several starting with "Google" but no "Play Store" and no Playstore icon.
J.B.
So let's try again shall we...

ES File Explorer = esfe
  1. uninstall the non-working version you have in there now.
  2. Esfe > list... > settings > root settings > starting at the top check all 5 boxes being prepared to answer yes or allow as the popup's appear.
  3. Navigate to /sdcard/Downloads/ > copy your Google play apk file > navigate to /system/app/ > paste in your Google Play apk. (Don't be surprized that it seems to disappear, and don't be surprised that you can't find it now as the .apk file you pasted.) (This is the hard part, I don't remember how many times I accidentally pasted the files in the wrong place before I tried the multi select button for copy & paste purposes, and don't be too surprised if you f'up a few times yourself, just keep trying till your sure you got it right.)
  4. back out of esfe & reboot being prepared to answer yes or allow each time the SuperUser popup appears.
  5. Check your list of apps to see if the Google Play Store is there, if it is, see if it works, if it does skip down to 9 & continue. If not...
  6. esfe > /system/app/ see if the Google Play apk appears as a file there now, and if it does you can go ahead and change the permissions.
  7. back out of esfe & reboot being prepared to answer yes or allow each time the SuperUser popup appears.
  8. Try to fire up Google Play again. This time it should work for sure.
  9. Esfe back to the root settings, start at the bottom and uncheck all but up to root. I hope this all worked for you, but if it didn't the one thing you want to remember to do is this step last. You don't want to leave your tab in super user mode on a permanent basis.

Hallelujah! Play Store is now working on my Proscan PLT8088 thanks to SuperNoober and there is an icon for it in /system/app/. I would still like to know why no Camera icon is there.

Projects like this always remind me of playing text-based adventure games (Zork, Impossible Mission...). I copied the Play apk from downloads but the "paste" step wasn't working. I was poking around in ES File Explorer and tried View (near the top of Settings). I turned on Details and went back to /system/app and found that, in addition to folder names, permissions and dates were also shown. Write permission was not on despite the fact that all 5 boxes were checked, including Mount File System, which makes /system writable. That was the ahah moment.

Page 5 of my manual says "If device is hanging, use a small pin to press Reset hole, it will forced shut down and the device will power on again." Not perfect English, but close enough. I unchecked all 5 boxes in Root settings, went back to the Home screen, and gently pushed the end of a small paper clip into the Reset hole until it depressed the switch.

The screen went black and, contrary to the manual, the tablet did not automatically restart. But it powered up fine when I pressed the regular power button. I was apprehensive about doing the reset because I thought that it might undo root access, but that was not the case.

I opened ES File explorer, rechecked all 5 boxes in Root settings, and went back to /system/ and the permissions for app showed rwxr-xr-x. I had Play Store working in less than 1 minute. There was no indication that the tablet lost anything except problems.

Thank you, thank you. On to other projects.
J.B.

I am so in over my head and not a techy person at all, but I can follow directions, I may not know what I'm doing or why I'm doing it but if it someone tells me what to do I can do it, that being said.

I just got the Klu 7035J I only bought it to take to the beach to read my books from Google Play because it was way cheaper than my phone if it got ruined. So without the play store I might as well give it to the dog as a new chew toy.

It says its already rooted using the Root Analyzer from Amazon but when I go and follow these instructions:

"Open ES File Explorer.
At the bottom left of the screen there are 3 vertical dots. Press this button.
A menu pops up, press settings.
Scroll down to Root settings and check Root Explorer.
A warning will pop up, select yes."

right after it says sorry test failed, this feature can not run on your phone

When i connect it to my laptop it says there is no driver found do I need to install a driver? shouldn't it already have one? should I just return it, you get what you pay for I suppose.

Can y'all help I would def contribute.

Thanks!

I just got the Klu 7035J

It says its already rooted using the Root Analyzer from Amazon but when I go and follow these instructions:

"Open ES File Explorer.
At the bottom left of the screen there are 3 vertical dots. Press this button.
A menu pops up, press settings.
Scroll down to Root settings and check Root Explorer.
A warning will pop up, select yes."

right after it says sorry test failed, this feature can not run on your phone

When i connect it to my laptop it says there is no driver found do I need to install a driver? shouldn't it already have one?

Yes you do already have the drivers you need, but no your device manager is not going to recognize that fact because your Hardware ID numbers are not included in the android_winusb.inf file.

see post 116

Can you get me the hardware id numbers from the device manager?

I know, the instructions of post 116 kinda suck. A rewrite is on my to do list, in the meantime if getting those numbers is a mystery to you, here's how...

Make sure to set your file & folder options to show hidden files. If you don't know how to do that just...
Start > help > search for show hidden files > follow the instructions microsoft provided.

next

1. (Tablet) Settings > Developer options > check USB debugging.
    (Tablet) Settings > Security > check Allow unknown sources.
  2. (PC) Open the device manager.
  3. Connect the USB cable first to the tablet, and then (while keeping a close watch on the device manager) to the computer. You will see your device add to the list that was already there.
  4. Click the arrow next to the (android device?) > double click the name that drops down, this will open a properties dialog box.
  5. Details tab > click the property drop down list > Hardware ID's
  6. Right click on the longer value > copy
  7. Paste that number into your reply to me.

The other thing I want you to do is open ES File Explorer... (3 verticle dots @ lower left = list...)
list... > settings > view > details
now while your still in settings scroll down to
Root settings > check up to root.

Let me know if you can now navigate to the root directory & if you can, write down the file permissions of the /system/ (folder) it should look something like rwxr-xr-x but write what it says, don't expect it to say what I said.

Report back, I'm sure there are a lot of people with the 7035 that are just itching get Google play on it already.

SN

Okay hardware id is USB\VID_2207&PID_0010&REV_0222&MI_01

and forgive me for sounded dumb again but if getting to the root directory is through the root explorer, then no it didnt work same error as before, if it isnt then i will need you to talk me through that.

thanks

okay i'm doing a mini happy dance right now
i think everything is going as it should
if this works i'll let you know what i did, even though i'm not sure what i did, lol
*fingers crossed*

Back
Top Bottom