• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

AC - Air Conditioning

You definitely need someone to look at your air conditioner. I think you also need to remember how it worked when it was new. If it used to be able to cope with it all and cool the room and now it is not, then it is obvious that it is not quite faulty. And you need an appliance repairman.
my air conditioner is fine, did you not read this post???
ok some updates. i just had an ac guy come out. i had no idea that there were filters that needed to be replaced on a monthly basis. so its probably been a few years up to 5 years since the filter was replaced. that helped with air flow.

i also had a new ceiling fan that was bigger and had more flow. so now i have a lot more flow into my room. it has been coming down in temp. but while installing the ceiling fan i found out that there is no insulation above my room.

could that be one of the causes for my room to get hot? should i call a roofer or whoever does insulation?
the ac unit is fine. just needed to flush out the sides that had some dirt on it. the airflow is not an issue anymore. it turns out it was the air filters inside the house. the issue now is keeping the hot air out. this is part of what your insulation is supposed to do. but we apparently do not have any insulation. its pretty broken down and it needs replacing.

Last edited:
anybody dyi their own insulation? i know it is not fun to be in the attic, especially during the summertime.....and i hate dealing with bugs and spiders.

probably will need a shop vac to suck up the old insulation and everything else up there. am i better renting or buying one for this job?

or should i wait until fall to do this when temps are more manageable?
performing DIY insulation installation can be a feasible and cost-effective approach, but it's essential to consider the challenges involved, such as working in the hot attic and dealing with pests.

At a past residence there was no insulation in the attic ! ! ! It was hard on the cooling equipment, I bought the pink rolled insulation and just opened the rolls in the attic and laid them out over the entire attic space.

It made such a difference I was surprised even though I knew it would make a difference in how cool the house was.

This is definitely a wintertime project, do not attempt it in the heat of the summer, wear a painters mask or something to keep the fiberglass out of your lungs, and a long sleeve shirt and long pants to keep it off of you.

A sock with baby powder patted on your skin will lessen the irritation from the fiberglass.

how do i remove the old insulation? shop vac or just manually remove it?
Why do you want to remove the old insulation? It still has some R factor even if it's broken down. Normally additional insulation is laid or blown over the old. exceptions would be if the dwelling had suffered a fire and the insulation was holding smoke residue or if it was infested with varmints.

I plan on having my attic blown with insulation this fall. It has the original insulation that was rock wool. It has broken down over the years and pretty much lost it's insulating factor. It will have new insulation blown right over the old. It's not hurting a thing.

I would leave it also, the only thing being is as it breaks down into small granules they find there way into the living spaces through cracks and holes and may end up as a fine dust on furniture and such.

I also would shop vac if removal is necessary, sweeping up/attempting to make piles is only going to make it air-born and I would be wary of inhaling that stuff !

Back
Top Bottom