• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

All Things Froyo

Whatever the problem is after this contact I'm jumping ship unless htc comes out with a nice andriod phone for at&t

Its a shame. I really love my Captivate. I have been running custom froyo ROMS for over a month now and I really believe this is a great phone.

The problem is...I don't want to have to rely on the kindness of independent developers to make my phone work right. I had 3 iphones before my Captivate, and the one thing I liked about the apple products was the continued support of the phones. Apple kept trying to make the phone better. I feel like Samsung only cares about selling the phone. Once the phone is purchased, we are no longer a concern.

I definitely like android. But I can't envision a scenario where I buy another samsung phone. It would be nice to get a little more support since I am locked into a 2 year contract like most of us are. Nothing like feeling your phone is abandoned 5 months into the contract.

what the hell is taking so long....i knew that samsung sucked in update but i thought they'd get their crap straight with the flagship galaxy lineup. Here we are in the U.S where 2.3 is being pushed out and us galaxy s users are still on 2.1. WHEN IS IT COMING OUT....JUST GIVE US USERS A DATE. and please....if your gonna send me an email stating we cannot give a certain date due to misleading, then save yourself a few calories and don't reply back. Thank you and have a nice day.

That was my email

True, but the I-9000 came out months before any Galaxy S in the US so they've had a head start. Also, the fact that I-9000 is the international version means it will carry a larger consumer population than any of he US carrier models. This would imply that Samsung has greater product support for this model. It's silly that each carrier in the US needs their own special model - just another reason for the delays.
Note that Canadians got their vibrant/captivate after the US and yet they are getting froyo first. My theory on this points to the US carriers.

Let's keep it according to Da Rules when we post.

Carry on.

I don't mean to be a bother but what rules are you referring to? I'm just curious as I've seen more than a couple moderators chime in for no reason, that I can see anyway. I didn't see any trolls or flames. Is it because it went off topic there for a couple posts? I'm not trying to be rude, just curious. :)

First I want to say there has been no promise date for any of the carriers. When we purchased these phones we knew that eventually there would be an upgrade to 2.2. They will be available whenever the carriers decide they are ready. The software has been distributed to the carriers and we are waiting on them.

Wow there are phones out there that dont have 2.1 yet much less 2.2 and look how long htc took to update the mytouch 3g. Heck of a lot longer than it took samsung to push the update to the carriers. Hassling samsung tech support is not going to do any good. Maybe they cant give us a date because it is not in their hands but att hands. The op has 3 posts 3 of which are in this thread and one complaining about not having 2.2 in another thread. If 2.2 was such a big deal why did you purchase a phone that had 2.1 on it with no more info than will be upgraded to 2.2 eventually. There has been no official release date by samsung nor at&t. If it is really a big deal root the phone and load a 2.2 rom. Heck this is android its open source is the major selling point.
Ok my rant is done. I hope 2.2 comes quickly for my captivate and my fascinate, but I knew I bought the phone as is and not expecting much from samsung nor the carrier.

I don't mean to be a bother but what rules are you referring to? I'm just curious as I've seen more than a couple moderators chime in for no reason, that I can see anyway. I didn't see any trolls or flames. Is it because it went off topic there for a couple posts? I'm not trying to be rude, just curious. :)

The forum rules are found in the two links in my sig. We hope no one ever sees posts that cross them - so we make them go away and when appropriate issue that gentle warning.

Please PM one of us if there's any questions.

~~~~

And now that we're back on-topic... My two cents on why U.S. carriers are late to Froyo for Galaxy-class phones comes down to corporate will and our legal system.

With each new revision comes a component change to the kernel (the center of the operating system) and its glue logic that ties to the different carriers' radio drivers - and those drivers tend to be silently added to an OTA update package. And the roaming lists - can't forget those. Those parts tend to require direct QA by the carriers. And depending on the carrier, many of us get that wonderful, value-added set of normal apps that they set a marker to as system apps so we can't remove them. Carriers like to think of this stuff as market differentiators - I like to refer to it as bloatware. And that adds QA time.

Blame goes to Samsung in this case because the updates must roll out later because the parts or all of the Android user interface gets replaced with their own - yet another market differentiator that adds QA time.

And let's not forget support - both carrier and maker require updates to support training.

And they know that nothing makes people angrier that an update with new defects or no resolution to old defects, so no doubt there's as much legalese to cover liability as there is actual quality that everyone wants to wet their beak on.

You're waiting on an update that a smaller carrier and smaller phone maker (Sprint/HTC) got out months ago - suggesting that Galaxy-class owners aren't short-changed because Samsung and the carriers didn't rake in enough dough to do the job. Whatever excuse is used, solely in my personal opinion, I'd say it comes down to corporate will and nothing technical.

Given the thread title, expand to all variants/carriers in the U.S., or given this forum location, narrow it to the Captivate/AT&T - my opinion applies equally.

My other opinion as a 2.2 user - this is worth demanding. It's a better user experience, overall.

And let's not forget support - both carrier and maker require updates to support training.

That accounts for about 5 minutes.

Class, repeat after me:

1. "I've never heard of that problem."
2. "Have you tried a factory reset?"
3. "Nothing has been announced. Keep checking our Web site."

Again. Again. Good. Off you go...

Note that Canadians got their vibrant/captivate after the US and yet they are getting froyo first. My theory on this points to the US carriers.

Just the Canadian Vibrant which is actually the i-9000 international Galaxy S, so no real surprise. The Rogers Captivate hasn't gotten the upgrade to Froyo yet.

Wow there are phones out there that dont have 2.1 yet much less 2.2 and look how long htc took to update the mytouch 3g. Heck of a lot longer than it took samsung to push the update to the carriers. Hassling samsung tech support is not going to do any good. Maybe they cant give us a date because it is not in their hands but att hands. The op has 3 posts 3 of which are in this thread and one complaining about not having 2.2 in another thread. If 2.2 was such a big deal why did you purchase a phone that had 2.1 on it with no more info than will be upgraded to 2.2 eventually. There has been no official release date by samsung nor at&t. If it is really a big deal root the phone and load a 2.2 rom. Heck this is android its open source is the major selling point.
Ok my rant is done. I hope 2.2 comes quickly for my captivate and my fascinate, but I knew I bought the phone as is and not expecting much from samsung nor the carrier.

Yeah I don't generally post in these forums, too busy. My phone is rooted and I know I can easily load one of the custom ROMs (I happen to to be an embedded linux software engineer) it's just the point of the matter that when I purchased my phone at the end of June 2010, I was told by Samsung and Atnt that 2.2 was coming, that and when I purchase things off the shelf, I like them to work with out having to muck around with AS much.

I don't expect anything to change by nagging Samsung support, but I was in a bad mood and felt like venting on someone, so Samsung was my target. The problem I suspect is more with Atnt than Samsung, but Samsung entered a deal with Atnt to push hardware and Samsung should be aware of the ramifications to their image by doing such.

Whatever the problem is after this contact I'm jumping ship unless htc comes out with a nice andriod phone for at&t

Look out for new Motorola phone on ATT in sometime 1st quarter 2011 with dual core processor. It seems to "ME" thats its ATT's answer to Verizon getting iPhone.

Have you thought that maybe the carriers are finding an issue with the phone (e.g. GPS) and are rejecting the software due to a defect? I am a software engineer as well; I know how the system works.
If this was true, they wouldn't have released the phones on their networks to begin with. Samsung knows there is a gps problem and have released a fix which doesn't work well. Some people say its better, some(as in my case) say their gps is worst, and most people say that their gps function is the same that being not very good. What does this point to? A hardware problem. To be honest, i think the galaxy s gps problem is much more of an issue than the iphone's antennagate just for a comparison.

I am right behind you, but I will not just be leaving at&t, but android. I feel as tho the only way to go on android is a nexus phone with stock android. Google just has to get off of t-mobile, the worst carrier of the major 4 in the US. I read the nexus is unlockable, anyone know if the 3g is completely compatible with any other carrier? Otherwise, I will probably be switching to windows phone 7 after my contract is up or even before if I can finance it. WP7 is a bit bare right now, but there is an update coming out in January that will add a lot of functionality.

I definitely like android. But I can't envision a scenario where I buy another samsung phone. It would be nice to get a little more support since I am locked into a 2 year contract like most of us are. Nothing like feeling your phone is abandoned 5 months into the contract.
Yeah, this is kind of a sad situation actually. After we get froyo, I highly, highly doubt we will see any updates to our phones. The only thing I can hope is that the custom ROMs become more stable, so that I can eventually flash gingerbread and honeycomb. There's no doubt our phones won't have the horsepower for future releases of android OS.

Nexus S, the initial version, is incompatible with at&t 3G network (which uses 850/1900MHz bands). TMo uses 1700/2100 bands, so that's what the Nexus S is built for. Maybe later version of the S will support 850/1900, similar to what they did with the Nexus One - separate versions for TMo and at&t.

After a 24 hour Rooting/Flashing boot-camp education, I went from total noob to now running Perception build 8. So far it's amazing, and I might even keep Launcher Pro (although I miss the twitter update widget for following sports writers).

Nexus S, the initial version, is incompatible with at&t 3G network (which uses 850/1900MHz bands). TMo uses 1700/2100 bands, so that's what the Nexus S is built for. Maybe later version of the S will support 850/1900, similar to what they did with the Nexus One - separate versions for TMo and at&t.

Not sure if your username has anything to do with the show on AMC, but I work 3 blocks from "API" hahaha

Nag Samsung? A drop in their corporate ocean.

100,000 nags to Samsung? 100,000 drops in their corporate ocean.

Negative? No.

Realistic? Yes.

I received the following to my inquiry, "When will Froyo be made available for my Captivate?"

Thank you for your inquiry. Regarding the Android 2.2 update, we are unable to speculate when or if it might be available soon due to the fact that this might lead to inaccurate information and confusion.

Should this become available, it will be posted on our website in the Samsung Download Center.​

Thank you for patience and understanding in this matter.​

We appreciate your continued interest in Samsung products.​

Sincerely,​

Technical Support
Robi​

The ironic part is the header that came with the email says "Limitless Support." Well, as I see it, not being able to speculate is pretty limited.

Ed: And, no, I didn't expect a straight forward answer.

The phones not on froyo yet have hardware limitations and are mostly 1st generation phones, so using, say, the MT3G is not a valid example. The Galaxy S series is Samsung's flagship device, and top-of-the-line 2nd generation phone. Thee is no excuse except Samsung's crappy android development. Even if the issue were AT&T's testing process, would it take as long if the code was god to begin with? -no. We should have it by now.

The phones not on froyo yet have hardware limitations and are mostly 1st generation phones, so using, say, the MT3G is not a valid example. The Galaxy S series is Samsung's flagship device, and top-of-the-line 2nd generation phone. Thee is no excuse except Samsung's crappy android development. Even if the issue were AT&T's testing process, would it take as long if the code was god to begin with? -no. We should have it by now.

Really the sony Xperia is not limited in hardware.Isnt it still on 1.6 and it came out recently. And why is the mt3g not valid. It just recently got 2.2. It took a lot longer to get an upgrade than the captivate will.

Back
Top Bottom