• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

All Things Froyo

I don't see how email a technical support representative is going to get us FroYo, that's not their job...

The mt3g has a lot smaller processor (it was a G1 with a bit more ram and rom space), and the X10 could have been a decent phone, but Sony had it in development so long that the screen and a few other aspects were outdated before it even launched here. Plus, it seems that the playstation phone (zeus ?) Is their planned flagship...

Wow there are phones out there that dont have 2.1 yet much less 2.2 and look how long htc took to update the mytouch 3g. Heck of a lot longer than it took samsung to push the update to the carriers. Hassling samsung tech support is not going to do any good. Maybe they cant give us a date because it is not in their hands but att hands. The op has 3 posts 3 of which are in this thread and one complaining about not having 2.2 in another thread. If 2.2 was such a big deal why did you purchase a phone that had 2.1 on it with no more info than will be upgraded to 2.2 eventually. There has been no official release date by samsung nor at&t. If it is really a big deal root the phone and load a 2.2 rom. Heck this is android its open source is the major selling point.
Ok my rant is done. I hope 2.2 comes quickly for my captivate and my fascinate, but I knew I bought the phone as is and not expecting much from samsung nor the carrier.
Exaxtly Ironhorse.. you boughth the Captivate as it was when released.... you knew what you were getting when you bought it and signed the contract... stop bitching...gees... from what I have found out reading all the posts and web info, the update not being released is due to AT&T not Samsung.... Ive had the phone for a month or so now and havent found anything that it cant do.... I mean really it is a PHONE not a IT dept. all the things it can do are nice but it was probably purchased as a phone with lots of nice extras.. not a laptop replacement....

Have you thought that maybe the carriers are finding an issue with the phone (e.g. GPS) and are rejecting the software due to a defect? I am a software engineer as well; I know how the system works.
I think its more of a problem with the OS doing more than the carriers want them to do.... HOT Spots and Tethering and all the apps that eat bandwidth... AT&T just cant keep up with the demand..... Blame AT&T not Samsung....

Exaxtly Ironhorse.. you boughth the Captivate as it was when released.... you knew what you were getting when you bought it and signed the contract... stop bitching...gees... from what I have found out reading all the posts and web info, the update not being released is due to AT&T not Samsung.... Ive had the phone for a month or so now and havent found anything that it cant do.... I mean really it is a PHONE not a IT dept. all the things it can do are nice but it was probably purchased as a phone with lots of nice extras.. not a laptop replacement....

Most people are a little angry cause it was going to be released in september then pulled back cause of bugs. Now three months later here we are in the same boat with no 2.2. It's bad enough for the captivate being the first us galaxy out and the epic has a test build being pushed ota. That I do blame on at&t. Maybe they are testing the epic first then releasing it to the other three carrier but come on. July........it takes half a year to figure out an update. Really!

Have you played around with that EVO? I'm thinking about grabbing one of those? Since you are also a Captivate user, you'd probably be a good person to compare the two.

Since he is an adult living on his own I only see him about once a week so I'm not in a position to evaluate the EVO or compare features. He is on Sprint and the one thing I do know is he has never been able to get a signal inside our house. With AT&T I usually have at least one bar but the Captivate doesn't do as good a job of picking up the signal as our old Motorola Razr's.

I'm wondering if it's even worthwhile to wait for the official version since it will be saddled with AT&T's bloatware and otherwise handicapped?

Warranty issues aside, wouldn't a good 2.2 ROM perform better than the official release on a given set of hardware ?

ETA: Granted, not all users are comfortable with the technical aspects of rooting and will stay on official releases.

I sent them an email...let's see if they send out an update. I think it would be nice to have Froyo and am simply dissapointed that they said it would be release, pushed it back and then we've heard nothing since. I still love the phone thought 2.2 or not it's still awesome. Everyone says how great the screen looks too! :D

Yeah the best 2.2 roms will come out after the official one is released. All the ones out now are based on test builds.

Yeah the best 2.2 roms will come out after the official one is released. All the ones out now are based on test builds.

actually most roms now are based on the official international version. there are a few that are based off of the leaked versions though, they run fine from my experiences however

I am running perception 8 for over a week now from xda and I have no issues whatsoever. I see all these post's about waiting for froyo when it is here already and as prev stated better than the official release any way. do not be afraid go ahead and flash that damn phone already. you will not be sorry

imho

I tried to wait, but my frustrations with Wifi and lag of 2.1 finally did me in.
Flashing a new ROM was a great decision. I've actually enjoyed my Cappy. Wifi works, GPS seems better (so far).

For me, NOT worth the wait.

actually most roms now are based on the official international version. there are a few that are based off of the leaked versions though, they run fine from my experiences however

I didn't know that, now that I do, I'm not sure which is better...I'm seriously considering flashing a ROM...my browser keeps crashing on me and it's feeling like the tipping point.

Back
Top Bottom