• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

All Things GPS

those are of course well below average SNR numbers, as is typical with Epic poor GPS reception. but they aren't meaningful without knowing conditions other than to say numbers like that under decent conditions are so marginal that under any poor conditions you would have trouble. they look like the SNR I get with EVO inside my house.

Fortunately Sprint Advanced Device (ADP) has GPS as their number one problem remaining now, so I am hopeful they will begin to address the four bugs, several of which are major.

Your VERY poor SNR results though maybe just a permanent hardware flaw.

Just remember for best aGPS function keep "use wireless networks" in the location menu OFF.

I did run the test while in the house. I haven't ran one while outside yet but I will do that tomorrow before I go into the workplace. Like I said, I didn't know if my indoor results were bad or good, but now that I look closely at the other results... I see theres plenty of room for improvement.

It turns out that the Epic apparently does not even use the same GPS chip as its GSM cousins. See details at my post at xda.
Yeah, the only consistency has been the moderate to slight attenuation problems which makes sense as the reception hardware is identical.
The difference in the decoding hardware could be why we see the main problems manifested differently.
but now that I look closely at the other results... I see theres plenty of room for improvement.
I see you note you are with Sprint ATS, just so you know Sprint ADP (the top device group) has found a number of GPS issues and say it is at the tip of their problem list.
And why on earth is ATS telling people "use wireless networks" has anything at all to do with GPS when they are unrelated?

I see you note you are with Sprint ATS, just so you know Sprint ADP (the top device group) has found a number of GPS issues and say it is at the tip of their problem list.
And why on earth is ATS telling people "use wireless networks" has anything at all to do with GPS when they are unrelated?

I dont know what the other ATS agents are telling people. I haven't gotten any calls regarding the Epic and GPS as of yet... most of my calls deal with cheap ass Palm Pre's and Pixi's and syncing Blackberries with Outlook... oh.. and those damn connection cards. (excuse my french). You also have to understand, there are about 15 different call centers with ATS agents that work inside of them. They are run by different companies and have different policies, therefor the information you get from one agent may be completely different from the info you get from another. I get calls about mis-information given to them from other agents, and they all think we all know eachother and we're all in the same building. LOL

After update my GPS is accurate.
I just checked it.
Locked on in 3-4 seconds .
Before the update it was about 75 feet off,now its dead on.

This is what I am finding also. I start a GPS app with GPS off, go into settings to turn it on, pop back to the GPS app and almost always get a lock within a few seconds, sometimes before I can even back-button to the app screen. Moreover, though the accuracy seems to be hard-coded at 98ft/30m, it seems to me to be much more accurate than that, maybe no more than 15-20 feet typically.

I have had three GPS-capable phones before, a Moto Q, a Q9c, and an HTC TP2. This phone's GPS performance is as good as any of them in accuracy and better than all of them in TTFF.

I start a GPS app with GPS off, go into settings to turn it on, pop back to the GPS app and almost always get a lock within a few seconds
You are cycling the gps on and off multiple times and that may defeat the cache bugs. The bugs we are talking about are widely observed.

Also the latest update tweaks the use wireless networks, it has no no affect on aGPS.

In terms of why the Epic performs worse than other smartphones on GPS, and way worse than Touch Pro 2, agianst which I did extensive testing, it mainly comes down to Time to First Fix being skewed by the cache bug which Sprint now is working on.

that is why applying the cold start workaround has such a positive impact on users who use GPS normally (don't unnecessarily cycle like you do)

He does give partial credit now -- present tense. Web publications are edited retroactively to reflect new edits and corrections.

I'm glad he added the link, but his summary of the GPS fix credits web forum users in general and not the individual who did the research, found the solution and published it. I take issue with that omission.

That link was there and credit was given when the post originally published. It was never edited, nor added. I know that, because I wrote it. If you'd like to take issue, you're free to, but I'm completely comfortable with the credit as it stood since I felt that there was a team effort among the users on this forum to identify the symptoms and possible fixes as I followed it along through the postings.

I don't know why you didn't care to actually read through the article and find the link yourself originally and it doesn't matter, but you were wrong.

You are cycling the gps on and off multiple times and that may defeat the cache bugs. The bugs we are talking about are widely observed.

Also the latest update tweaks the use wireless networks, it has no no affect on aGPS.

In terms of why the Epic performs worse than other smartphones on GPS, and way worse than Touch Pro 2, agianst which I did extensive testing, it mainly comes down to Time to First Fix being skewed by the cache bug which Sprint now is working on.

that is why applying the cold start workaround has such a positive impact on users who use GPS normally (don't unnecessarily cycle like you do)

I don't intentionally cycle GPS; it's just that I keep it off until I need it, and usually start the app before I start it, since I know the app will just take me to the settings page when I start it if GPS isn't active at that time.

When you say the Epic performs way worse than the TP2, do you mean in terms of accuracy, TTFF, or both? My TP2 locates to about the same accuracy as my Epic but is way slower to get a fix, especially the Sprint Nav/Telenav app, which will stall literally for minutes unless I run the ephemeris update utility every time I start it.

I'm not calling into question your results; you seem to have done a lot more research on this specific issue and to have a lot more knowledge about GPS in general than I.

I only chimed in on the thread because I'd heard about the GPS issues in this phone and its siblings, and I just haven't seen them in my everyday use at all.

In my particular experience, the phone's GPS performance is quite good, better overall than any of my three previous phones.

I'm currently in denver coming home from california. Great vacation! For all my complaining earlier my gps worked pretty well. Got a decent lock while in flight read out 500 mph once we reached altitude.was able to get a pretty good lock in downtown san francisco. even with the tall buildings. Still needs improvement but works for my basic purposes. Like I'm drink how do we get home.

I'm currently in denver coming home from california. Great vacation! For all my complaining earlier my gps worked pretty well. Got a decent lock while in flight read out 500 mph once we reached altitude.was able to get a pretty good lock in downtown san francisco. even with the tall buildings. Still needs improvement but works for my basic purposes. Like I'm drink how do we get home.

How did you get a lock? Were you in airplane mode? I have not been able to get a lock in airplane mode - figured it was just part of the bugs.

How did you get a lock? Were you in airplane mode? I have not been able to get a lock in airplane mode - figured it was just part of the bugs.

Got my lock before turning on airplane mode. I haven't been able to get a lock as a standalone unless it already got all the info, but once you get a good lock then it's fine for awhile.

Got my lock before turning on airplane mode. I haven't been able to get a lock as a standalone unless it already got all the info, but once you get a good lock then it's fine for awhile.

There are some making observations/claims on standalone function, but the people offering them are too long time posters and/or their language doesn't indicate full understanding of testing needed.

I have not been out of the country since getting the phone, and really we need someone to do couple of clear sky one hour attempts outside of cdma and no wifi (and with our cold start workaround disabled of course).

When you say the Epic performs way worse than the TP2, do you mean in terms of accuracy, TTFF, or both? My TP2 locates to about the same accuracy as my Epic but is way slower to get a fix, especially the Sprint Nav/Telenav app, which will stall literally for minutes unless I run the ephemeris update utility every time I start it.

I use TomTom and google maps on Touch Pro 2, rock solid. Never used sprint maps/nav on my TP@ as it is on a sero. I do feel, and many others here note, that sprint nav is kinda slow and hinky on the Epic.

As far as your other observations I am not challenging them, but rather pointing out that the main bug is heavily influenced by user habit. We know that the proper method of ejecting and refreshing cache is not there, but that other actions may do this, some very often, but with cold start workaround doing it every time.
That link was there and credit was given when the post originally published. It was never edited, nor added. I know that, because I wrote it. If you'd like to take issue, you're free to, but I'm completely comfortable with the credit as it stood since I felt that there was a team effort among the users on this forum to identify the symptoms and possible fixes as I followed it along through the postings.
Let's face it, Engadget dropped the ball and did a disservice to their readers. That they are feeling defensive and don't want to give credit is their business.

Their current article mentioning the workaround still contains errors which they refuse to fix, misinforming their readers once again.

EG How on earth is engadget, a tech blog/site, still passing off Samsung's conflation of unrelated*, "Use wireless networks" as "agps". It makes them sound like a mouthpiece for damage control instead of a serious outlet.

from engadet:
[Samsung] stated that turning on network assisted GPS is a sufficient fix to provide accurate information.
really? Where pray tell is the user able to turn on and off "network assisted GPS" from any normal user menu on Epic? Answer: NOWHERE
How is engadget even printing an answer they know to be spurious? Not subjectively questionable but non existent on any menu on Epic?

My apologies, standalone isn't the word I should have used. I was referring to running gps while in airplane mode. I got a lock and a number of sats locked before switching into airplane mode. I still haven't tried bringing my phone into the back 40 in a nice big dead zone to see if it will lock, though while driving from san francisco to silicon vally where I data roamed it worked fine but had all ready hooked up and was running. (good 4g in the vally by the way) as for every thing I know about gps, it isn't much except what I've learned form wikipedia or aero1.

from engadet:really? Where pray tell is the user able to turn on and off "network assisted GPS" from any normal user menu on Epic? Answer: NOWHERE
How is engadget even printing an answer they know to be spurious? Not subjectively questionable but non existent on any menu on Epic?

Yeah, there's a checkbox that says "use wireless networks." I don't know why you'd decide to not know that's what is being referred to or not, it doesn't matter. Now you can quote the part of the article where I disagreed with their assertion. I'll wait.

Yeah, there's a checkbox that says "use wireless networks." I don't know why you'd decide to not know that's what is being referred to or not, it doesn't matter. Now you can quote the part of the article where I disagreed with their assertion. I'll wait.

It matters, it matters a lot, since it has nothing to do with aGPS, it is not an assist at all. It is an alternate method that uses no satellites. Sorry but engadget got p0wned by Samsung throughout this entire issue. When you got that response from Samsung, why would you, if you are a serious publication not follow up and tell them you are not going to print an objective falsehood?

After the "cold start" fix I hadn't had any issues aside from the fixed 30m accuracy. Today, however, on my way to work I started the Google navigation map to check on traffic and plugged my phone in, and could not get a lock for the first time ever. I have an hour commute and usually don't plug my phone in, today I did, using the "official" sprint charger and noticed that as soon as the led light turned blue on the phone, the GPS immediately got a lock on, so it appears the sprint official charger causes too much interference and it results in further reduced snr :mad:

I came from an Evo, which had near-instant GPS locking all the time. The Epic works sometimes, but quite often it takes forever to get a lock, and Google Maps will just say my location is unavailable.

I have tried both with and without the cold start fix. I'm wondering if anybody has had their GPS work as well as the Evo's had? Perhaps if I swapped my Epic for a different one, it would work better.

Aero, you say that GPS has shown to have no effect on battery life but I think I find that when I have GPS on, my phone never properly goes to sleep. Does this have to do with me being indoors and the phone constantly searching for satellites?

I came from an Evo, which had near-instant GPS locking all the time. The Epic works sometimes, but quite often it takes forever to get a lock, and Google Maps will just say my location is unavailable.

I have tried both with and without the cold start fix. I'm wondering if anybody has had their GPS work as well as the Evo's had? Perhaps if I swapped my Epic for a different one, it would work better.

Every Epic has the same GPS firmware bugs. They just manifest themselves differently according to the usage pattern. There is no evidence of difference among units, which makes sense because they all share the same firmware. Officially, Spint and Samsung remain in denial about the bugs.

I sure hope it's just a firmware thing, and not a hardware problem. Not sure what to think about it, in light of the Moment and how its GPS never seemed to work properly.

Now that is what I like to hear, dblankenburg!

Have you done any "hacks" or tricks to get the GPS working? Also, under the location settings, do you only have GPS enabled, or do you also have "User Wireless Networks" selected?

Thanks for chiming in.

I use my Epic's GPS on a daily basis and have lightning fast lock and no problems with any GPS based apps I've tried so far.

Intensive daily GPS use is one of the usage patterns that avoids the Epic's GPS bug, which is caused by obsolete cache data not being refreshed properly after a period of inactivity. It is time-sensistive. That does not mean your GPS firmware is not buggy. Nor does it mean your GPS hardware unit is superior. Your usage has just not triggered the bug.

So your anecdotal report is just another confirmation of the previously documented properties of the bug.

Back
Top Bottom