• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Amon_RA 1.6.2 Custom Recovery: trackball not required!

Your right about the skateboards at the middle of the screen. The ones at the bottom load fine. Your turn to clarify. After all your writing and modding of your zip file. What is the md5 checksum? And what program do I need to check it? You've probably stated it more than once

Lol...;) An MD5 checksum is a calculation done on a file to create a unique signature (theoretically unique to that file) that allows you ensure that its contents are complete and unaltered from the original.

There's several ways to check it: with Astro File Manager you can navigate to the file, long-press the file name, select Details, and the MD5 checksum will be displayed at the bottom of the pop-up window (you might have to wait a few seconds for larger files). You can also check it using an app like AFV (Android File Verifier) [which I wrote :p--its free in the Market]. Same deal: just navigate to the file to be checked, long-press the file name, and select MD5 Checksum.

I'm secretly hoping that this is the issue because I'm pretty much out of ideas... You might have to start a new thread and see if we can get some other eyeballs (especially erisuser1's) looking at your problem...

Anyway, check the MD5 checksums and let me know what you find.

OMG!!!!!! IT"S WORKING!!!!!!! YEEEEEEEEHHHAAAAAAWWWW!!!! all i did was for gits-and-shiggles i tried scenario 3 just one..more...time, and it freaking works now. omg. what a pain in the arse. i really appreciate you sticking with me, and trying to help me out. i wish i was savvy enough to return the favor.

Scary Alien,
I Love You.

now, since EE4.0 is not ideal...what non sense rom (or at least cool looking sense rom) do you recommend? (need live wallpapers :) )

OMG!!!!!! IT"S WORKING!!!!!!! YEEEEEEEEHHHAAAAAAWWWW!!!! all i did was for gits-and-shiggles i tried scenario 3 just one..more...time, and it freaking works now. omg. what a pain in the arse. i really appreciate you sticking with me, and trying to help me out. i wish i was savvy enough to return the favor.

Scary Alien,
I Love You.

Lol! You are most welcome...honestly, its quite satisfaction enough to know that you were helped and appreciative. Thank you, too!

now, since EE4.0 is not ideal...what non sense rom (or at least cool looking sense rom) do you recommend? (need live wallpapers :) )

I'm not very conversant on live wallpapers, but I've heard lots of people espouse the merits of zach.xtr's (of XDA) xtrSense (for a Sense-based ROM) or xtrROM (a non Sense-based ROM).

Here's the respective threads over at XDA:

[ROM][GPL][11/5/2010] xtrSENSE4.6.5 [cache2cache,apps2sd,oc,jit]-HTC Sense - xda-developers

[ROM][GPL][11/5/2010] xtrROM4.6.5 [cache2cache,apps2sd,jit,lwp,oc] - xda-developers

Check 'em out. :)

don't mean to bother you again my dear friend, but it seems my apps2sd setup isn't going to work. i partitioned, and when i went to convert ext2 to ext3, the option wasn't there....i rebooted, and still wasn't there. it's not a big deal, but maybe you could check it out when you have the time. i'd prefer to have apps2sd (obviously :p)

don't mean to bother you again my dear friend, but it seems my apps2sd setup isn't going to work. i partitioned, and when i went to convert ext2 to ext3, the option wasn't there....i rebooted, and still wasn't there. it's not a big deal, but maybe you could check it out when you have the time. i'd prefer to have apps2sd (obviously :p)

Well, you've found my kryptonite (lol, I just finished watching this week's Smallville ;))...I have zero direct experience with app2sd :eek:.

There are, however, lots of very smart and capable folks around here that know the ins and outs of apps2sd very well and should be able to point you in the right direction. (You might have to start another thread though or do a little searching--those that have experience might not be following this thread).

(Actually, I just re-read your first paragraph and was thinking that maybe you were talking about an option in custom recovery? If so, its probably supposed to act like it is (under whatever conditions/circumstances you were using it). This version of Amon_RA's custom recovery should be identical in function to the original other than the support for the alternate menu scrolling and confirmation keys).

Cheers!

Scary and TheLedge
If I'm reading TL's post correctly there is an option missing under the Partition sdcard menu.
In your basic Amon_RA's recovery under Partition sdcard there are 4 choices:
- Partition SD
- Repair SD:ext
- SD: ext2 to ext3
- SD: ext3 to ext4

TL, are you saying that in Scary's recovery the SD:ext2 to ext3 option does not exist?
Scary, FYI (on the off chance you don't already know this). When 'Partition SD' is chosen it creates an ext2 partition on the SD card. For apps2sd to work on a 2.1 ROM the partition must be an ext3 partition, thus the ext2 to ext3 option is critical. IF it's missing in your recovery then that's something you might want to get a couple of your 6 arms to start working on. :)

Scary and TheLedge
If I'm reading TL's post correctly there is an option missing under the Partition sdcard menu.
In your basic Amon_RA's recovery under Partition sdcard there are 4 choices:
- Partition SD
- Repair SD:ext
- SD: ext2 to ext3
- SD: ext3 to ext4

TL, are you saying that in Scary's recovery the SD:ext2 to ext3 option does not exist?
Scary, FYI (on the off chance you don't already know this). When 'Partition SD' is chosen it creates an ext2 partition on the SD card. For apps2sd to work on a 2.1 ROM the partition must be an ext3 partition, thus the ext2 to ext3 option is critical. IF it's missing in your recovery then that's something you might want to get a couple of your 6 arms to start working on. :)

Hoto,

This is very interesting...and somewhat of a mystery at this point. Here's why:

The Amon_RA custom recovery.c source that I retrieved off of packetlss's github was the desirec branch and its version was listed at 1.6.2 (just like the build number listed in the ro.modversion property of the source itself (which also is displayed at the bottom of the recovery screen that you see every time you enter recovery). Also, cannot find the menu items you show and list above (I think I remember seeing screenshots and I know I've see other folks reference them--I just have not ever seen them personally since I've never partitioned my /sdcard).

Now, when looking at the recovery.c 1.7.1 source (default branch mahimahi), it indeed shows exactly the menu you list above!

By the way, the only file that I modified in making this alternate custom recovery was the recovery.c file. Since I'm was (and still am) a relative noob at understanding how to use, manage, and navigate the various github source, I just assumed I should grab the branch labled for our Eris device: desirec.

Tell you what, I'll try to download and compile the 1.7.1 mahimahi branch and see what gives (and what version is reported (I don't / didn't set or change this either)). If it compiles (and loads ;)), I will make my same alternate key changes (i.e., to make trackball usage optional) and re-post.

Hoto, thank you for pointing this out...sharp-eyed as ever! :)

Cheers!

Okay, I've got a new 1.7.1-based recovery recompiled (it'll still say Build 1.6.2 at the bottom of the screen). I just need to package it up and re-post it on the other thread.

I've tested that the trackball-alternative key navigation still works, but I'll let TL93, be my SD card partition tester :D (since I don't really want to partition my /sdcard). I do see that the menu items are back now...

Check back after a while...cheers!

Okay guys, sorry for the delay...documenting and organizing takes a while...

I've made significant updates to the first post to include references to the new version of the tweaked custom recovery image that should restore the missing partition sdcard menu options.

You should be aware, this new version was compiled from the 1.7.1 (Nexus One) "mahimahi" source branch. I don't believe that this will exactly match, in functionality, the original (un-tweaked) version that you already had/have. I do think its likely that it includes all of the functionality of the original version of Amon_RA's custom recovery you know and love (and probably adds some new stuff (hopefully transparent and backwards-compatible) that I cannot vouch for, explain, or support :D).

I also did not actually test the Partition sdcard menu's functions--I simply verified that these menu items were indeed present (again). I did test a Nandroid backup and restore and noticed a minor difference. See my notes in the OP for additional information.

TheLedge93, you'll want to re-do Scenario 3 with the "gscript-sa-171.zip" file referenced in the OP. It should be installed identically to how you did it last night (other than the name of the .zip file being different, of course). Hopefully, the partitioning functions you wanted to use are there and work as needed and desired (of course, you'll make the appropriate backups, right? :)).

Good luck and let me know how it goes.

Very nice! Thank you for helping her out out by pointing her this way (makes all of the time I spent trying to learn how to do this worthwhile, lol (actually doing it was the easy part :p)).

Man, you are everywhere! I also thought I had seen your username a while back on at least one other Android site (can't remember which one)--I can barely keep up with AF and XDA, lol (I always forget about the relatively new Q&A forum).

BTW, I'm working on the updates to AFV--adding the file-selector filter (case-insensitive sort) you requested.

Cheers!

In fastboot usb,

fastboot flash recovery recovery-RA-eris-v1.6.2-trackball-optional.img

worked perfectly. Thank you very much

You are very welcome! Glad it came in handy.

So, you still hung on to your Eris, eh?

Cheers!

edit: by the way, I'll add that to the installation instructions, thank you for that (totally forgot about fasboot flash ;)). And thank you for posting...gives me warm and fuzzies that all of the time I spent was not for naught. :)

This is how the recovery SHOULD have come! Very nice work. But no, I didnt keep my Eris, this is for my GF. I've needed to update her rom for over a month now, and dman88 just happened to pass this thread along to me after I mentioned the trackball is borked.

Thanks so much!

SA,

Even though my trackball still works I decided to flash your latest ver.

Did it via Gscript and it worked flawlessly.

Thanks for another winner!

I hope you decide to stay on this planet for a while :D

SF

So Scary, you know everything else, how about this... :)
Amon-Ra (or Amen-Ra - either spelling) is the name of an Egyptian god. How'd we end up with Amon_Ra's recovery?

So Scary, you know everything else, how about this... :)
Amon_Ra (or Aman_Ra - either spelling) is the name of a Greek (or Egyptian) god. How'd we end up with Amon_Ra's recovery?

I don't know about that, lol! But I think Amon-Ra was an Egyptian (sun) god.

Let's just say our Amon_RA is our custom recovery god ;).

I do know he signs his emails with "RA"...he was very kind in taking the time to reply to my pleas for guidance.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom