• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Any Gun owners out there?

I don't own a glock myself, but my significant other does. I don't like the grip on the glock. I really like the grip on the 1911 pistol. Also, I have the ability to grip about as hard as a baby so it's hard for me to pull back the slide on most pistols.

1911s with a short barrel are amazing for cc and handling, imo. Thin and still 8 shots with one in the chamber.

What's so great about the Glock design, though, is the ingenious safety.. which is entirely internal except for the trigger lever on the trigger itself. You'd think such a complicated apparatus would have a long, hard pull, but the Glock is surprisingly smooth and double action-like, and accurate once the shooter gets experience with the whole physical dynamic of the machine.

1911s have that thumb lever on the left side right below the slide. I was always used to loading up with one in the chamber for readiness, and the hammer cocked and safety locked on the up position. That's fine, but there's that extra step in an emergency, the step of dropping that safety lever then the weapon can fire. It's only a split second in a trained draw and fire, but the Glock eliminates that, thus its popularity with law enforcement agencies around the world.

Here's some of the home defense ammo I spontaneously picked up, I had to have it when I saw it. Apparently it's the same round as Critical Defense.

img20120201222028.jpg

And here's my first target sheet with my 17... needless to say I'm much 'in love' with this firearm. Shot from 50 yards.

img20120201222324.jpg

Agreed about the Glock safe-action trigger - even though my thumb is trained to Condition 1, the Glock reminds me of a wheel gun: your finger engages the trigger, and it's done, no waiting.

Kudos to Frisco on that SP-101, that is a deceptively fine revolver, whose deception leaves by the second round, a trademark of Rugers. Seriously regret believing that I could pick up the GP-100 and SP-101 just any old time and now I am sucking wind wishing.

IOWA - damn boy, 50 yards? You'll do until a shooter comes along, and that's no lie. Nicely done! :)

I'll have to give those Hornady Zombies a spin, but like OTD, I am a faithful Silvertip fan, next best round to the original Black Talons, in my opinion. I do like the hotter Hornady loads for smaller cals like the .380, and definitely need to check out their newer (to me) rounds.

I have a deep palm swell, so the 1911 skwirms on me where the A1, less so. My Browning Hi-Power with early Pachmeyers fits very well, despite the 9 being charged as a mouse gun, to illustrate. :D

Anyway, at least an octet of pistols in stock, and I still can't join the Glock club. Paint me envious and insert gun safe spam here.

PS - serious congratulations to IOWA and a big tip of the topper on that target. Talk about pics or it didn't happen! :eek: :cool:

OMG!!! I want a box of those!!!!!!

Silvertips for the werewolves, but take it from Chopper Chicks in Zombietown..

(spoiler alert)

Number one defense against zombies is the Stanley stapler gun.

Close those lips and it's game over! :eek: :cool:

Agreed about the Glock safe-action trigger - even though my thumb is trained to Condition 1, the Glock reminds me of a wheel gun: your finger engages the trigger, and it's done, no waiting.

Kudos to Frisco on that SP-101, that is a deceptively fine revolver, whose deception leaves by the second round, a trademark of Rugers. Seriously regret believing that I could pick up the GP-100 and SP-101 just any old time and now I am sucking wind wishing.

IOWA - damn boy, 50 yards? You'll do until a shooter comes along, and that's no lie. Nicely done! :)

I'll have to give those Hornady Zombies a spin, but like OTD, I am a faithful Silvertip fan, next best round to the original Black Talons, in my opinion. I do like the hotter Hornady loads for smaller cals like the .380, and definitely need to check out their newer (to me) rounds.

I have a deep palm swell, so the 1911 skwirms on me where the A1, less so. My Browning Hi-Power with early Pachmeyers fits very well, despite the 9 being charged as a mouse gun, to illustrate. :D

Anyway, at least an octet of pistols in stock, and I still can't join the Glock club. Paint me envious and insert gun safe spam here.

PS - serious congratulations to IOWA and a big tip of the topper on that target. Talk about pics or it didn't happen! :eek: :cool:

Silvertips for the werewolves, but take it from Chopper Chicks in Zombietown..

(spoiler alert)

Number one defense against zombies is the Stanley stapler gun.

Close those lips and it's game over! :eek: :cool:

Now all I need to do is find a range with moving targets.. lol. Never been able to shoot at moving targets and I hear it's quite difficult. It's easy when the target sits still.

Guess it's all those years of First person shooters I've played lol.

The grouping is pretty good, but I'm going to pass some of that to the Gen 4 because the recoil isn't bad at all with a firm grip.

Now all I need to do is find a range with moving targets.. lol. Never been able to shoot at moving targets and I hear it's quite difficult. It's easy when the target sits still.

Guess it's all those years of First person shooters I've played lol.

The grouping is pretty good, but I'm going to pass some of that to the Gen 4 because the recoil isn't bad at all with a firm grip.

The shooter... the target... the pistol... the limb of the moon - a good group is a good group. Suck it up, compadre, that's some fine control. ;)

You can't know combat response until combat. Meanwhile, look for a civilian opportunity in a fun house. The name is well-deserved. :) Your local NRA instructors may be helpful in setting you up with your nearby PD for consideration.

Any chance you've been able to bird hunt, try sporting clays, or get to someplace isolated for any snap shooting?

For those of you that CCW/open carry (I can still legally carry either way on my property/business) what condition do you carry your glocks in? I see many people who are afraid to carry a 17/19 in condition one, but is there any merit to their fear other than oblivious finger placement?

The shooter... the target... the pistol... the limb of the moon - a good group is a good group. Suck it up, compadre, that's some fine control. ;)

You can't know combat response until combat. Meanwhile, look for a civilian opportunity in a fun house. The name is well-deserved. :) Your local NRA instructors may be helpful in setting you up with your nearby PD for consideration.

Any chance you've been able to bird hunt, try sporting clays, or get to someplace isolated for any snap shooting?

No, nothing like that but I wouldn't mind giving it a shot. I might check up with the NRA, might as well put that membership to use.

That "this is not a toy" disclaimer on that box of ammo gives me mixed feelings about the marketing; the "zombie" swish, cartoon-like. Seems like an invitation to anti-gun PR.

No biggie, I guess (I hope ;)).

Nice groups on that target, and at 50 yards. Good shootin'.

When I carried the Glock 30SF it was in the same condition in iwb as paddle: 10 + 1, ready to fire, as I trust the Glock safety mechanism very much and think it's amazing. The whole thing is amazing, the whole gun, from one end to the other.

"2:30" on my body, sometimes 3:00 depending, as OTD says, on weather.

I wonder how many people use 6:00 (small of the back). I tried that with all sorts of gun sizes and can't draw nearly as fast as those other two positions.

That "this is not a toy" disclaimer on that box of ammo gives me mixed feelings about the marketing; the "zombie" swish, cartoon-like. Seems like an invitation to anti-gun PR.

No biggie, I guess (I hope ;)).

Nice groups on that target, and at 50 yards. Good shootin'.

When I carried the Glock 30SF it was in the same condition in iwb as paddle: 10 + 1, ready to fire, as I trust the Glock safety mechanism very much and think it's amazing. The whole thing is amazing, the whole gun, from one end to the other.

"2:30" on my body, sometimes 3:00 depending, as OTD says, on weather.

I wonder how many people use 6:00 (small of the back). I tried that with all sorts of gun sizes and can't draw nearly as fast as those other two positions.

As far as carry goes, I know I can get away with the 17 in winter time here in Chicagoland, but in the summer when clothes are lighter I'm thinking about picking up a smaller XD9 for those purposes. If Illinois doesn't change it's ways soon, I may relocate to another state after I finish school. (if I ever 'completely' finish, lol)

As far as carry goes, I know I can get away with the 17 in winter time here in Chicagoland, but in the summer when clothes are lighter I'm thinking about picking up a smaller XD9 for those purposes.

You reminded me of my old methods, philosophy about carrying way back prior to the permit system. In California the laws were strictly, "no concealed firearms," period. And there was wording to the effect of (nowhere near verbatim), "if you carry a firearm it must be visible from at least three different vantage points at all times." :rolleyes:

I made a selection based strictly on concealment, no thought as to effectiveness.

That 3 angle thing was to discourage all but long guns, some were thinking. So, if we picture the handgun situation, we'd see an open carry holstered on the hip gun from the back, front and the side the weapon was on. Did people do that? Heck no. lol.. cop magnet.

Anyway, I carried a little High Standard 22 magnum 2 shot derringer, iwb. It was all about the L.A. area I worked in; no way was I going into that area unarmed every day. So, I feel for you on the Illinois holdout thing about cc.. it's a very crappy position to put a person in: no defense against the bad guys who are routinely armed.

You reminded me of my old methods, philosophy about carrying way back prior to the permit system. In California the laws were strictly, "no concealed firearms," period. And there was wording to the effect of (nowhere near verbatim), "if you carry a firearm it must be visible from at least three different vantage points at all times." :rolleyes:

I made a selection based strictly on concealment, no thought as to effectiveness.

That 3 angle thing was to discourage all but long guns, some were thinking. So, if we picture the handgun situation, we'd see an open carry holstered on the hip gun from the back, front and the side the weapon was on. Did people do that? Heck no. lol.. cop magnet.

Anyway, I carried a little High Standard 22 magnum 2 shot derringer, iwb. It was all about the L.A. area I worked in; no way was I going into that area unarmed every day. So, I feel for you on the Illinois holdout thing about cc.. it's a very crappy position to put a person in: no defense against the bad guys who are routinely armed.

If you only poured through the recent Illinois legislation about gun ownership/rights... it's horrific what these Democrats want to do to our 2nd amendment rights while criminals/gang members as you mention routinely carry, and discharge their weapons in public and are rarely caught and punished.

Meanwhile people who try to abide by the law get threatened with misdemeanors and felonies for a want to be able to protect myself. :rolleyes:

It truly makes e want to move out of this state.

If you only poured through the recent Illinois legislation about gun ownership/rights... it's horrific what these Democrats want to do to our 2nd amendment rights while criminals/gang members as you mention routinely carry, and discharge their weapons in public and are rarely caught and punished.

Meanwhile people who try to abide by the law get threatened with misdemeanors and felonies for a want to be able to protect myself. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I hear you.. it's a bit like the "no firearms" signs on some business establishments around town here and there. I once asked the clerk in a frame shop who she thought would obey such a sign, "criminals or law abiding citizens?"

No reply. ;)

Here's some of the home defense ammo I spontaneously picked up, I had to have it when I saw it. Apparently it's the same round as Critical Defense.

img20120201222028.jpg

And here's my first target sheet with my 17... needless to say I'm much 'in love' with this firearm. Shot from 50 yards.

img20120201222324.jpg

I posted a link to this ammo elsewhere, yes it is the Critical Defense with a green tip. I have some in .40 and 7.62x39. Anybody who wants any should try Midway USA, prices are good.

I have Conceal Carry License in Texas and Carry 24-7
I carry the Glock 27 Mainly
However I have carried my wifes .38 speacial Lady Smith.

Glocks are great but my true Favorites are the Springfieild XD and XDM Series.
Those are the best shooting guns on the market.

I chose the baby Glock because it was slightly smaller than the baby XD.

Glad to know there are a bunch of Androids out there Loaded for bare.
Nice to know there are more conservatives like myself on this site. :D

For those of you that CCW/open carry (I can still legally carry either way on my property/business) what condition do you carry your glocks in? I see many people who are afraid to carry a 17/19 in condition one, but is there any merit to their fear other than oblivious finger placement?

If I am going to carry it is condition 1. My finger is the only safety I have ever relied on. I don't typically do the whole 16+1 thing with the 19 because I carry a second mag. I will carry 10+1 with the 26 and an extra 19/17 mag.

I've read some of Chicago's legislation and views on gun ownership when I was actually looking up some information during a forum debate of all things. There is and probably always will be some seriously backwards thinking on gun ownership and CCW laws. Statistically CCW laws show a reduction in crime in the states they are in, but for some reason people can only think about the wild west when they think of people carrying guns. I can't blame them in their mentality, I've never walked a mile in their shoes anymore than they have walked one in mine. Personally, I just know that I feel safer armed no matter who's shoes I have on.

I've read some of Chicago's legislation and views on gun ownership when I was actually looking up some information during a forum debate of all things. There is and probably always will be some seriously backwards thinking on gun ownership and CCW laws. Statistically CCW laws show a reduction in crime in the states they are in, but for some reason people can only think about the wild west when they think of people carrying guns. I can't blame them in their mentality, I've never walked a mile in their shoes anymore than they have walked one in mine. Personally, I just know that I feel safer armed no matter who's shoes I have on.

Sadly this is one of the main reasons why I like living in the wild west! Though some people in this country currently look down on Arizona due to it's stance on illegal immigration, we have the luxury now of concealed carry for all citizens. I personally prefer having the CCW training and, along with my previous military training, figure that I have a decent shot of knowing when it's appropriate to reach for my carry weapon... and when it's not.

On a different note, what's the consensus opinion on grips? I've been using Pachmayr grips for years on my weapons but have recently opted to try a Hogue wrap-around grip on my P89. Pachmayr's never really look good on the weapon but sure feel good in the hand. What do people think of the Hogue rubber grips?

As I said before, I have a Hogue on a inch and three quarter barelled .357. It takes the wallop out nicely. Feels perfect in my rather larger hands as well. I'm a big fan. I have a Hogue stock on my plinker 10/22 that is really top quality too.

Originally Posted by OfTheDamned<br />
<br />
<br />
Sadly this is one of the main reasons why I like living in the wild west! Though some people in this country currently look down on Arizona due to it's stance on illegal immigration, we have the luxury now of concealed carry for all citizens. I personally prefer having the CCW training and, along with my previous military training, figure that I have a decent shot of knowing when it's appropriate to reach for my carry weapon... and when it's not.<br />
<br />
On a different note, what's the consensus opinion on grips? I've been using Pachmayr grips for years on my weapons but have recently opted to try a Hogue wrap-around grip on my P89. Pachmayr's never really look good on the weapon but sure feel good in the hand. What do people think of the Hogue rubber grips?

I envy Arizona's stance on illegals. Chicago is swarming with them, and they are nothing but a drain on our local economy. Getting hit by one of them is even worse because they'll run from the scene because no license or insurance.

I got a buddy that has a 26 that he cc's. I've seen his jam several different times. Could be the ammo, dunno. I got a Kahr CW40 for the little things in life. ;)

Back
Top Bottom