• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anyone Tried NFC Task Launcher?

How cool would it be to develop an NFC tag small enough and durable enough to line the inside of a ring? Think about it, the tag could be written to unlock your phone (though right now I don't believe that's possible due to android security permissions) so that each time you just hold your phone, it knows that it's you holding it and unlocks. SWEET! haha just sayin... :)
The antenna structures impose a size constraint, I believe. At least in tags that I have seen pictured, the antenna is the largest part. I don't know how much they can be shrunk and maintain their RF and power generation functions. But it would be nice if it worked: maybe someday.

I use NFC task launcher everyday and pretty much since I started I have been losing my data connection. I don't know if there is a correlation or not. My Nexus is non-rooted, and fully stock. I use NFC task launcher with to toggle WiFi and Bluetooth opposite each other.

I'm not sure if it is NFC task launcher or a newly developed poor handshake between WiFi and 3G (I keep it 3G only for the battery). Power cycling fixes it but after it happen 20 times or so, I did a full reboot and it still happens.

Do I have a bad phone? Is NFC task launcher causing this?

I use NFC task launcher everyday and pretty much since I started I have been losing my data connection. I don't know if there is a correlation or not. My Nexus is non-rooted, and fully stock. I use NFC task launcher with to toggle WiFi and Bluetooth opposite each other.

I'm not sure if it is NFC task launcher or a newly developed poor handshake between WiFi and 3G (I keep it 3G only for the battery). Power cycling fixes it but after it happen 20 times or so, I did a full reboot and it still happens.

Do I have a bad phone? Is NFC task launcher causing this?

No. The handoff between Wifi and mobile data is outside of the realm of any app. All app does to enable/disable wifi is to leverage the Android WifiManager class and the setWifiEnabled method. The Android subsystem then manages the power state of the radio itself as well as the transition to or from mobile data.

Anyone know a way to silence the NFC read notification?

I have setup a profile to toggle between nighttime and daytime settings for a tag on my nightstand. When processing it, the phone emits a rather loud notification beep.

The NFC Task Launch is set to a silent notification. Can't find a way to silence the system-based NFC notification.

Any ideas?

Has anyone used the Tasker integration? I wasn't sure exactly how that worked- I can't set up a Tasker task without a context, right? So what context do I put if the context I *actually* want is the NFC tag being used?

Yes, you can create tasks in tasker without a context. When you open tasker (in beginner mode) just tap the "task" tab at the top of the screen. Then you can make all the tasks you want with no context.

NFC Task Launcher app works by allowing a tag to launch a tasker task. You can also give the option of making the tag have a second tap option. For example. I have one tag at home. When touch it toggles my tasker task for my home (turns on wifi, turns up media and ringer volume, and turns off Bluetooth). The next time I tap that tag it does the opposite (launches my tasker task called leaving home).

If you are using NFC Task Launcher app to launch tasker tasks, then you need to have those Tasker tasks setup on each phone. I believe there is an export feature in tasker that will allow you to export you created tasks and put them on other phones.

So... On a rooted phone, do you think it's possible to manually force the polling? From the command line, for instance? Tasker can be configured to run a task at intervals, and one of the options is to run a command line script.

I bought NFC Task Launcher last night from the market and messed with the tags for a while - pretty cool stuff!

I believe there are some people working on this on the xda forum.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/sitesearch.php?q=nfc polling

The newest versions of AOSP roms are going to have the option to allow NFC polling while sreen is off and locked, on and locked, or on and unlocked so you can choose what option fits your needs.

Back
Top Bottom