• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anyone Tried NFC Task Launcher?

But though yours are formatted, you are having issues with all but one type of sticker in this kit, correct? and they were pre formatted? So rather than the kit, I should only order the Mifare 35mm x 35mm?

Personally, I decided to order a larger assortment than the kit and I put please format for GNex in the order comments. Mine have not arrived yet though. I figured I would assume the tags with issues on the current GNex firmware will get fixed soon, so I ordered a wide assortment. I like the idea of sprinkling them various places you go regularly. You can usually find an unobtrusive spot. OR another option is to have a few on you labeled for different scenarios. If you carry a notebook or purse (or murse) it's easy to have a bunch on you.

The only thing that bugs me is that nobody planned for situations where the phone would sit on the tag (like in a Dock). I'm afraid having the tag left next to the phone will keep it in a read loop slurping up battery. The Task Launcher dev told me it's a problem that Google apparently didn't plan for yet. It is best to read the tag then take it away.

Also, it seems that tags tend to have commands formatted ON THEM. The dev told me they generally have not approached it where the tag just has a serial number that the phone uses to launch a macro. That would allow the tag to have much less memory but oh well. Maybe things will develop with time.

I tried reading the NFC tags in some of my store bought DVD's. They look like the right size but I guess they are either not a type our phones read or the store nukes the tag at purchase time. As I said before I can read my smart badge from work but I can't do much with that fact.

But though yours are formatted, you are having issues with all but one type of sticker in this kit, correct? and they were pre formatted? So rather than the kit, I should only order the Mifare 35mm x 35mm?

I tried ordering just those, but I did not see the pre formatted choice. Only saw that option on the kit.

The only thing that bugs me is that nobody planned for situations where the phone would sit on the tag (like in a Dock). I'm afraid having the tag left next to the phone will keep it in a read loop slurping up battery. The Task Launcher dev told me it's a problem that Google apparently didn't plan for yet. It is best to read the tag then take it away.

This doesn't happen, you can have it in a dock without any issue. It will only read once until the tag goes dormant and fires again (i.e. when the phone goes out of range or NFC powers down and back up).

Also, it seems that tags tend to have commands formatted ON THEM. The dev told me they generally have not approached it where the tag just has a serial number that the phone uses to launch a macro. That would allow the tag to have much less memory but oh well. Maybe things will develop with time.

If you want to store a large amount of commands on a tag with small memory leverage profiles. You can save a specific tag and set it to be both tags on the profile (so it always executes the same thing). This takes up 31 bytes (26 for the header and 5 for the command string). The downside to this is that it will only work on your device (as the saved tag is in a local DB).

Read through the whole thread and definitely thinking of order some of the Classic stickers (since that's what everyone is having luck with).

One question: how much does a case interfere with NFC? I have loaded Google Wallet but haven't had an opportunity to try it out either yet.

I have this case: Incipio Samsung Galaxy Nexus SILICRYLIC Hard Shell Case with Silicone Core, Samsung Galaxy Nexus Cases, Samsung Galaxy Nexus Covers, Samsung Galaxy Nexus Accessories, Samsung Galaxy Nexus Protection, Galaxy Nexus Cases (So not an Otterbox, but not super thin either) and I wondered if anyone knew if NFC would work ok through it?

Like others, my GNex (running 4.0.2) only works reliably with the square stickers from TagStand, and can't read the round ones well at all, especialy with my thin rubber case on.

However, I successfully used Google Wallet yesterday at a PayPass terminal with one quick touch. It was very easy and responsive, and I'm betting that's because those terminals are powered, as opposed to RFID tags which are not. So having an actual signal coming out of the PayPass terminal should assuage any fears of NFC not working reliably wtih Google Wallet.

Like others, my GNex (running 4.0.2) only works reliably with the square stickers from TagStand, and can't read the round ones well at all, especialy with my thin rubber case on.

However, I successfully used Google Wallet yesterday at a PayPass terminal with one quick touch. It was very easy and responsive, and I'm betting that's because those terminals are powered, as opposed to RFID tags which are not. So having an actual signal coming out of the PayPass terminal should assuage any fears of NFC not working reliably wtih Google Wallet.

The 25mm stickers are the ones you're having trouble with? tagstand - Logo Type 2 NFC Sticker - Ultralight C - Circle (25mm diameter)

I ordered my tags from Tagstand. I screwed up somewhat on the order...customer service with them is excellent! I highly recommend them.

Yes, you do need to select the "tagstand" option, for the preformatted variety. $3 more, but obviously well worth it. I sent a link to this forum to the owner (?) of Tagstand...maybe he'll drop by. :)

This doesn't happen, you can have it in a dock without any issue. It will only read once until the tag goes dormant and fires again (i.e. when the phone goes out of range or NFC powers down and back up).

Would there be a way to force the phone to poll every fixed period for the existence of the tag? i.e. re-check every 5 minutes to see if the tag is still present and take an action if it is not? Maybe a way to leverage Tasker for that?

Srini from Tagstand here!

I've tested most of our tags on the Nexus S and the Galaxy Nexus. They all work well with the Nexus S, but with Galaxy Nexus there are a few things to be aware about:

1) Smaller tags have a hard time being read by the GNex; the 25mm Ultralight C tags don't work at all and other small tags might require multiple passes.

2) GNex with Android 4.0.1 and 4.0.2 cannot write to blank tags. Make sure they're pre-formatted. You can do so by selecting "tagstand manager" in the hobbyist kit we sell or by leaving us a note when you order. Email works ok too, but sometimes the order goes out before we read the email!

3) I've been testing with a basic GNex; no extra cases or anything. If you have a case on it or do anything to increase the distance from the tag to the antenna in the center of the phone, then tag reading will get worse.

Hope that helps; if you need any help with tags or getting them to work or need replacements, feel free to contact us.

I ordered my tags from Tagstand. I screwed up somewhat on the order...customer service with them is excellent! I highly recommend them.

Yes, you do need to select the "tagstand" option, for the preformatted variety. $3 more, but obviously well worth it. I sent a link to this forum to the owner (?) of Tagstand...maybe he'll drop by. :)

Hmmm....in an email I was given a link to add to the cart for NDEF pre formatting....it was $6 more. How did you get it done for $3?

Hmmm....in an email I was given a link to add to the cart for NDEF pre formatting....it was $6 more. How did you get it done for $3?

It probably depends on how many you purchase. If you buy the "hobbyist kit", it is $14.25. If you choose the "tagstand manager" option (which is the formatted option), then it is $17.25. Obviously if you buy more tags, or maybe different tags, there is a higher cost to format them.

Just wanted to report back, I ordered the "6x Mifare Classic Sticker - Circle (25mm diameter)" stickers and had absolutely no problem. I am running a 4.0.3 ROM so I didn't have them pre-formatted, and my phone formatted them just fine. I have set up a couple of on/off profiles for "car mode" and "class time" and it's all working beautifully. I have several more stickers sitting here waiting for me to think of things to do with them.

I've ordered some tags, but was wondering if a tag could be programmed to type and send a text message to contact? I almost always send a message to my wife when I leave work, it would be nice to just tap a tag to do that. Is that feasible?

There is a function to create an SMS, but I can't really experiment with it for you at the moment as I'm out without any tags to try.

FYI, the app says it can launch any Tasker task, so if it's not possible within the app, it's definitely possible within Tasker.

Does anyone know of a way to get tags to read on the lock screen? I just got some tags from tagstand and I put one inside my wallet to check in on facebook wherever I'm at, but with all the time it takes to enter my pattern or have face unlock register, it doesn't end up saving a whole lot of time. If I could just turn the screen on and have the tag unlock the phone and check in all at once that would be awesome. Turning Key Guard off in tasker does the job but if I can't read the tag while locked, then that doesn't help. I saw a video of some guy unlocking his Nexus S with NFC. Is there something I'm missing or does it just not work on the GNex?

Same question.... is it possible to launch any tag command without manually unlocking the screen first?

Hi All,
This sounds like fun.

I'm still on a rooted 4.01, can anyone recommend somewhere in the UK where i could order these?
How near do you have to be in order for the tag to be read?

No.

The NFC service and the polling loop do not start until the device is unlocked.

So... On a rooted phone, do you think it's possible to manually force the polling? From the command line, for instance? Tasker can be configured to run a task at intervals, and one of the options is to run a command line script.

I bought NFC Task Launcher last night from the market and messed with the tags for a while - pretty cool stuff!

Has anyone used the Tasker integration? I wasn't sure exactly how that worked- I can't set up a Tasker task without a context, right? So what context do I put if the context I *actually* want is the NFC tag being used?

Has anyone used the Tasker integration? I wasn't sure exactly how that worked- I can't set up a Tasker task without a context, right? So what context do I put if the context I *actually* want is the NFC tag being used?

Not having used Tasker much outside of testing I can't answer the question entirely.

However, Tasker does not have to be aware that the tag is read AFAIK. When a tag is read NFC Task Launcher will dispatch an intent to Tasker to launch a specific task that you have named when you programmed the tag.

You're looking in the wrong section of Tasker. Get out of the Profiles section (which requires a context) and go into the Tasks section. Tasks do not require a context (they're just a step-by-step set of actions), and when you configure NFC Task Launcher, you will be able to select any of the named tasks in the Task section.

I'm using the Tasker integration and it works very nicely.

I'm using Tasker quite a bit with NFC Launcher. As a matter of fact, I now really only use the launcher to launch my Tasker task, and it works VERY well like that. I can't recommend Tasker enough, when used in conjunction with NFC Launcher! Together, they really are powerful.

No, you don't have to set up a context - only the Tasker events.

For example, I have a tag I put on my car dock. That tag does only one thing - it runs a Tasker task (event) that I named "car dock." (surprise!) Below is a partial listing of the tasker events that run, when I put my phone on the dock. Not shown, but Tasker also opens Car Home Ultra (my car dock app) as well as my navigation app. Note that Tasker also sets my phone to car dock mode (didn't even realize the Nexus had a car dock mode...lol) and it sets the time out to 'never' as long as it's plugged in - neither of these can be done in NFC Launcher at this time, as far as I know.

Good luck!

Screenshot_2012-01-12-13-51-27.png

Back
Top Bottom