• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anyone Tried NFC Task Launcher?

Read through the whole thread and definitely thinking of order some of the Classic stickers (since that's what everyone is having luck with).

One question: how much does a case interfere with NFC? I have loaded Google Wallet but haven't had an opportunity to try it out either yet.

I have this case: http://www.myincipio.com/Samsung-Ga...CRYLIC-Hard-Shell-Case-with-Silicone-Core.asp (So not an Otterbox, but not super thin either) and I wondered if anyone knew if NFC would work ok through it?

Ive used my google wallet through my TPU diztronic case and NFC purchases work fine so reading tags shouldnt be a problem as well.

I ordered the ultralight C shoud be in the mailbox today. Im not liking that most of you are saying they dont work. Now im going to have to reorder and wait a week or so to get another set. I was so excited to get these in the mail.

Anyone have any pointers on apps that will perform actions based on reading our smart badges at work? Basically I presume since the NFC reader apps in the market can read my badge I should be able to have an action performed based on when I read the card. I can of course add an NFC chip I write to my badge holder. I just ordered a bunch today. But since my card is readable it seems I should be able to get Tasker or something to run a macro. I'm thinking of the settings profile when I get to work and put on my badge. Ideas? I was disappointed that I can't read my Translink card. Supposedly Farebot will read Clipper cards here in the SF bay area and TransLink pre-dates Clipper. They both work on local transit but my phone does not even beep with TransLink.

Ive used my google wallet through my TPU diztronic case and NFC purchases work fine so reading tags shouldnt be a problem as well.

I ordered the ultralight C shoud be in the mailbox today. Im not liking that most of you are saying they dont work. Now im going to have to reorder and wait a week or so to get another set. I was so excited to get these in the mail.

Ultralight C's work fine for me. The general issue seems to be that ICS has issues reading/writing Utlralight and Ultralight C tags reliably. A second pass is generally enough though if it doesn't grab it the first time.

OK... I have received the TagStand Hobby kit: tagstand - NFC Hobbyist Starter Kit - (15 Stickers)

I also updated my phone to 4.0.3.

Unfortunately, NFC Tasker is no writing to any of the tags (it just beeps and sometimes tells me it can't get the tag).

I tried to format the tags and I get a message that "This type of tag is not supported". I am trying to assign Tasker tasks and NFC Task Launcher only need ~30 bytes. Any of the tags should work.

Any ideas?

Never mind... I don't have 4.0.3 after all.... I must have done just the radios and not the OS... Odd

OK... I have received the TagStand Hobby kit: tagstand - NFC Hobbyist Starter Kit - (15 Stickers)

I also updated my phone to 4.0.3.

Unfortunately, NFC Tasker is no writing to any of the tags (it just beeps and sometimes tells me it can't get the tag).

I tried to format the tags and I get a message that "This type of tag is not supported". I am trying to assign Tasker tasks and NFC Task Launcher only need ~30 bytes. Any of the tags should work.

Any ideas?

Enable debugging in preferences, try to write a tag and send me the logcat. I can tell you exactly why it's failing :)

Enable debugging in preferences, try to write a tag and send me the logcat. I can tell you exactly why it's failing :)

I would greatly appreciate it, but I am running 4.0.2 with the 4.0.3 radios. Do I need the the OS updated as well for this to work? I don't want to waste your time.

I would greatly appreciate it, but I am running 4.0.2 with the 4.0.3 radios. Do I need the the OS updated as well for this to work? I don't want to waste your time.

You'll need the update NFC libraries from 4.0.3 to format blank tags to NDEF, so likely a full 4.0.3 rom.

Got my tags in and they work great. Type 2 NFC Ultralight C circle.

Do I have to unlock the screen to get the app to work? or is the lockscreen good by just waking the screen

Definitely a newbie with this kind of stuff.... so i bought these tags from tagstand:

10x Mifare Classic Sticker - Square (35mm x 35mm)

I am not rooted, do not have 4.0.3 and have an extended battery (which i thought i understood still had the NFC capabilities).

I am trying to use NFC Task Launcher to write to these tags and i keep getting "Failed to get tag for writing". I was trying to set a profile for my car dock to turn up volumes, turn off wifi, turn on blue tooth, etc.

Did i get the wrong type of tags? do i need the 4.0.3 update? Am i just doing something wrong?... some other setting? Thanks so much everyone!

Also, when i use NFC Tag Reader to read the tag, it says:

"Mifare1KTag(752 bytes)
Write Protected
Empty"

Thanks!

Did you get the tags pre-formatted from Tagstand?

If not 4.0.2 has a problem writing non-formatted tags.

I simply ordered from a link that someone else shared.... I did not see an option to buy pre formatted or non pre formatted. Can someone just share a link to tags that will certainly work?

This was the link i used for the tags i purchased.

Thanks again!

I guess my main issue is that i probably did not get pre-formatted tags... i tried looking on the website, but i dont understand what i have to do to order NDEF pre-formatted tags

The hobby pack has a pre-formatted option -- wasn't aware all tags didn't have this.
tagstand - NFC Hobbyist Starter Kit - (15 Stickers)

For now only option is to root and flash a 4.0.3 ROM or wait for 4.0.3 to come out (or buy a USB NFC reader or similar).

@DSG: Once they arrive, can you post back here and let us know if you were sent formatted tags, or not?

I think I need more tags. :D I'm loving this. Have one in the kitchen that starts my kitchen timer, heh. Think they'd notice if I put on in the doorway to my church to silence my phone so I don't forget? ;)

The hobby pack has a pre-formatted option -- wasn't aware all tags didn't have this.
tagstand - NFC Hobbyist Starter Kit - (15 Stickers)

For now only option is to root and flash a 4.0.3 ROM or wait for 4.0.3 to come out (or buy a USB NFC reader or similar).

But though yours are formatted, you are having issues with all but one type of sticker in this kit, correct? and they were pre formatted? So rather than the kit, I should only order the Mifare 35mm x 35mm?

Back
Top Bottom