• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anyone Tried NFC Task Launcher?

Ah, I see, the only thing I'd set Tasker up so far was to turn on/off volume when I plug in earphones or a BT headset. :) But I see what you're talking about now. I didn't realize there was a car dock mode either, what does it do? I love these forums. :)

Ah, I see, the only thing I'd set Tasker up so far was to turn on/off volume when I plug in earphones or a BT headset. :) But I see what you're talking about now. I didn't realize there was a car dock mode either, what does it do? I love these forums. :)

I don't think you can even set the Nexus for car dock mode through the stock apps, unless I just overlooked it...lol. Car dock mode is nice, because when it's in the mode and I press "home", it loads my Car Dock app (I use Car Home Ultra...love it!).

Just 2 quick question for now. (Many more later...lol)

I've got a car dock (just using basic holder, no charger or anything) NFC up and running, and when i put phone into holder, it launches Car Home Ultra, Turns up Volume and switches off wifi.
But how do i revert to my "non car dock interface" when i remove my phone from the dock?

Has anyone on a stock gsm rom got around the issue that neither Tasker or nfc-Tasker can launch the GPS?

I've got a car dock (just using basic holder, no charger or anything) NFC up and running, and when i put phone into holder, it launches Car Home Ultra, Turns up Volume and switches off wifi.
But how do i revert to my "non car dock interface" when i remove my phone from the dock?

You'd have to either set up a profile and tap your phone against the car dock again to revert, or add another tag somewhere in your car to tap against it and have it revert.

Has anyone on a stock gsm rom got around the issue that neither Tasker or nfc-Tasker can launch the GPS?

If you're rooted, look up "Secure Settings" in the market. It's a plugin for Tasker that will let you do a bunch of things that Android won't normally let applications toggle.

Does anyone know how to set it up so that one tag can launch tasks (tasker tasks, for instance) on two separate phones? it seems NFC task launcher stores the actual instructions on the phone instead of the NFC tag. I'm not sure if it's because of tag storage limitations but I'm sure they can figure out a way to make it fit.

Even reinstalling NFC task launcher on the phone that created the tag makes the tag useless. Or maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Does anyone know how to set it up so that one tag can launch tasks (tasker tasks, for instance) on two separate phones? it seems NFC task launcher stores the actual instructions on the phone instead of the NFC tag. I'm not sure if it's because of tag storage limitations but I'm sure they can figure out a way to make it fit.

Even reinstalling NFC task launcher on the phone that created the tag makes the tag useless. Or maybe I'm doing something wrong?

You're doing something wrong ;)

By default all tag information is encoded onto the tag itself. The exception to this rule is Profile tags (EDIT: This is changed for the next release. Profile tags will be on the tag now as well).

Profile tags leverage saved tags (mainly due to space constraints). Saved tags are stored locally, read by ID from the local database and executed. As a result they only work on your local device and will not function as expected if the app is removed or data cleared.

Tasker commands as part of a standard Task tag write directly to the tag itself in the form of : Tasker Command:Task Name

Now, EACH phone will need to have a Tasker Task with that exact name. That's really outside of my control though.

I'm using Tasker quite a bit with NFC Launcher. As a matter of fact, I now really only use the launcher to launch my Tasker task, and it works VERY well like that. I can't recommend Tasker enough, when used in conjunction with NFC Launcher! Together, they really are powerful.

No, you don't have to set up a context - only the Tasker events.

For example, I have a tag I put on my car dock. That tag does only one thing - it runs a Tasker task (event) that I named "car dock." (surprise!) Below is a partial listing of the tasker events that run, when I put my phone on the dock. Not shown, but Tasker also opens Car Home Ultra (my car dock app) as well as my navigation app. Note that Tasker also sets my phone to car dock mode (didn't even realize the Nexus had a car dock mode...lol) and it sets the time out to 'never' as long as it's plugged in - neither of these can be done in NFC Launcher at this time, as far as I know.

Good luck!

I can't seem to figure out how to have Tasker close applications when I leave the car. I have the NFC Tasker profile set up and a 'kill app' task set up in Tasker, but it never will close Carhome Ultra or Pandora. I am a total newb at Tasker, so it could def. be operator error, but it seems like a pretty simple task to me.

The easiest thing to separate out the NFC launching of the task from Tasker failing to perform the action is to create your task, then add a Tasker widget to the desktop. When you place the widget, it'll ask you to choose a task. So choose your "kill pandora" task. Then launch pandora, start it playing, head back to your desktop and hit the widget.

If Pandora goes quiet, you know the task itself works and it's a problem with how it's getting called. If Pandora doesn't go quiet, you'll know the task isn't set up right.

You're doing something wrong ;)

By default all tag information is encoded onto the tag itself. The exception to this rule is Profile tags (EDIT: This is changed for the next release. Profile tags will be on the tag now as well).

Profile tags leverage saved tags (mainly due to space constraints). Saved tags are stored locally, read by ID from the local database and executed. As a result they only work on your local device and will not function as expected if the app is removed or data cleared.

Tasker commands as part of a standard Task tag write directly to the tag itself in the form of : Tasker Command:Task Name

Now, EACH phone will need to have a Tasker Task with that exact name. That's really outside of my control though.

That was it, I was testing using profiles. I set it up so that tasker does the profiling work instead and it works like a charm now. Thanks!

The easiest thing to separate out the NFC launching of the task from Tasker failing to perform the action is to create your task, then add a Tasker widget to the desktop. When you place the widget, it'll ask you to choose a task. So choose your "kill pandora" task. Then launch pandora, start it playing, head back to your desktop and hit the widget.

If Pandora goes quiet, you know the task itself works and it's a problem with how it's getting called. If Pandora doesn't go quiet, you'll know the task isn't set up right.

Thanks, I tried it.

I guess I don't know how to set up a 'kill app' task. Thought it wold be pretty simple. I'll have to do some more reading.

Is there a combination of Tasker tasks or NFC Task Launcher that will launch the stock Music app and have it automatically start playing the "shuffle all" option? It looks like you can program a task using NFC Task Launcher, but I don't know what code it would be to do what I want. Any suggestions?

I had two tags in my car and today it won't read either of them. NFC is on. I rebooted the phone, uninstalled and reinstalled NFC Task launcher - still nothing.

I had added in the new Google Wallet app last night (I had the side loaded version before) and wondered if that had anything to do with this change, so I uninstalled it. Still won't read tags.

Any ideas??

I had two tags in my car and today it won't read either of them. NFC is on. I rebooted the phone, uninstalled and reinstalled NFC Task launcher - still nothing.

I had added in the new Google Wallet app last night (I had the side loaded version before) and wondered if that had anything to do with this change, so I uninstalled it. Still won't read tags.

Any ideas??

Are they profile tags? Profile tags need to be recreated since the last release as the command text is now stored on the tag and not reliant on a local database lookup.

Ordered my tags and messed up on the pre-formatting option. Thought I'd clicked it but apparently did not.

Now I gotta wait for the bug fix - boo, still haven't found anything to test my NFC functionality on.

Ordered my tags and messed up on the pre-formatting option. Thought I'd clicked it but apparently did not.

Now I gotta wait for the bug fix - boo, still haven't found anything to test my NFC functionality on.

If they are Mifare based (Ultralight, Ultralight C, Classic 1K) you can likely use NXP's Tag Writer app in the Market. They recently updated it to do manual formatting on Mifare based ICs.

Are they profile tags? Profile tags need to be recreated since the last release as the command text is now stored on the tag and not reliant on a local database lookup.

I'm sorry, I'm not sure that i understand. Since the last release of NFC Task Launcher? They are my original tags that I have been using for weeks. So I trash them and recreate more tags? If so, will I have to do this with each release of the program?

I'm sorry, I'm not sure that i understand. Since the last release of NFC Task Launcher? They are my original tags that I have been using for weeks. So I trash them and recreate more tags? If so, will I have to do this with each release of the program?

Yes, since the last release of NFC Task Launcher (2.24).

No you don't need to do it with every release. The change in 2.24 is WHERE the commands for profile tags are stored.

In < 2.24 they were stored on the device (in a database), NOT the tag. The only data written on the tag was the ID of the local command string to reference back to. This caused 2 main issues:
1.) They only worked on *that* device, no other device
2.) If you cleared data or uninstalled/reinstalled the app the profile tags would not work

To resolve this the actual actions are now stored on the tags themselves. The only local lookup is for the tag name (if it isn't found it will display the actions executed and not the name). Profile tags now work on any device and will persist through uninstall/cleared data without issues.

The downside to this is that any existing profile tags need to be recreated so they now store the commands on the tag and you are also limited to the physical space on the tag.

Long term though making the profile tags device dependent (and instance dependent) just didn't fit the use paradigm of re-usability.

You can root and install a 4.0.3 ROM which will let you format the tags.

Ok, so I've been following this thread, yet to purchase any tags (plan on doing so soon). But in the meant time I got this crazy idea. I'm sure someone could probably take this, run with it and probably make some good money on it, alas I don't have the knowledge or resources... ANYWAYS...

How cool would it be to develop an NFC tag small enough and durable enough to line the inside of a ring? Think about it, the tag could be written to unlock your phone (though right now I don't believe that's possible due to android security permissions) so that each time you just hold your phone, it knows that it's you holding it and unlocks. SWEET! haha just sayin... :)

Ok, so I've been following this thread, yet to purchase any tags (plan on doing so soon). But in the meant time I got this crazy idea. I'm sure someone could probably take this, run with it and probably make some good money on it, alas I don't have the knowledge or resources... ANYWAYS...

How cool would it be to develop an NFC tag small enough and durable enough to line the inside of a ring? Think about it, the tag could be written to unlock your phone (though right now I don't believe that's possible due to android security permissions) so that each time you just hold your phone, it knows that it's you holding it and unlocks. SWEET! haha just sayin... :)

This would be very difficult at best. The problem being that rings are metal. NFC Tags on metal need an isolation layer when in contact with a metal surface in order to function (making them significantly thicker). Unless your ring was way too large this would definitely make it not fit. This assumes you could design the IC in such a shape that it would fit inside of a ring.

I think there are fingerprint (or palm) identification screens in the works anyways for this type of thing

This would be very difficult at best. The problem being that rings are metal. NFC Tags on metal need an isolation layer when in contact with a metal surface in order to function (making them significantly thicker). Unless your ring was way too large this would definitely make it not fit. This assumes you could design the IC in such a shape that it would fit inside of a ring.

Yeah I knew from the start this was a pretty lofty idea but fun to consider :)

Back
Top Bottom