• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anyone Tried NFC Task Launcher?

Ultralights are very small :) They will work well for toggling interfaces, but for wifi setup or launching packages there just isn't enough space on the tag.

Is there any way that the program could hold the information for a task on the phone? The small labels could then have a hex code that calls for the task rather than all the data being stored on the label.

I guess as a work-around, you could just make the task call Tasker and have Tasker handle all the workings.

And thank you to the developer of the app. It's been fun tinkering with it so far.

Is there any way that the program could hold the information for a task on the phone? The small labels could then have a hex code that calls for the task rather than all the data being stored on the label.

I guess as a work-around, you could just make the task call Tasker and have Tasker handle all the workings.

And thank you to the developer of the app. It's been fun tinkering with it so far.

Save the tag. Create a profile tag and make both portions of the profile that tag. It will take only 5 bytes + the NDEF header (27 bytes total I think) and you can have as many actions as you want on it as it does a local lookup. This tag will only function that way on your device though.

So is this to mean there's not currently a way to program a tag to toggle between LTE/CDMA mode and CDMA only mode? I would love that.

So is this to mean there's not currently a way to program a tag to toggle between LTE/CDMA mode and CDMA only mode? I would love that.

Correct. I hope this is eventually added to the API, but right now it is not possible. I see that Tasker also does not do this either (otherwise you could leverage Tasker).

I know this might sound stupid but I'm being serious. Can someone actually explain to me what NFC is, how GNEX can use it and what can be done now with it? I just need it simple terms, searching it online just drove me crazy.

Thanks, appreciate the help.

Are some tags easier for our NFC chip to pick up than others? I picked up some 100kb type 2 classic mifire ultralights from tagstand and the phone doesn't consistently recognize them, and never does if the case is on. I'd like some more consistency as I'll be using it for my car dock and desktop dock to switch to clock.

Are some tags easier for our NFC chip to pick up than others? I picked up some 100kb type 2 classic mifire ultralights from tagstand and the phone doesn't consistently recognize them, and never does if the case is on. I'd like some more consistency as I'll be using it for my car dock and desktop dock to switch to clock.

I have the same issue with they Type 2 tags. I also have the Mifare Classic 1K stickers and these work consistently.

I sent an email to tagstand. They were very responsive and are looking into the isssue. FYI. I am running 4.0.2. and had tags that were pre-formatted.

So I got my Tagstand stickers in the mail.

Seems that other people are having issues with Type 2 stickers being read by the Nexus. The Mifare tags I got work perfectly, but the Type 2 (round stickers) are read maybe 1-2% of the time by my phone.

Contacted Tagstand and they are saying this is an ICS issue reproducible by upgrading other devices to ICS that previously were able to read Type 2 stickers. Gonna wait to hear back from them and if need be order more Mifare stickers since those work 100% of the time.

So I got my Tagstand stickers in the mail.

Seems that other people are having issues with Type 2 stickers being read by the Nexus. The Mifare tags I got work perfectly, but the Type 2 (round stickers) are read maybe 1-2% of the time by my phone.

Contacted Tagstand and they are saying this is an ICS issue reproducible by upgrading other devices to ICS that previously were able to read Type 2 stickers. Gonna wait to hear back from them and if need be order more Mifare stickers since those work 100% of the time.

Out of curiosity are these Ultralight or Ultralight C tags?

The second one linked looks like a standard fare Ultralight (48 bytes of data). Both of those types are having trouble reading? I have quite a few of those lying around I can test on the GN and the Nexus S if so. I use Ultralights in my car and haven't seen any issues personally so I am curious if I can reproduce this.

The second one linked looks like a standard fare Ultralight (48 bytes of data). Both of those types are having trouble reading? I have quite a few of those lying around I can test on the GN and the Nexus S if so. I use Ultralights in my car and haven't seen any issues personally so I am curious if I can reproduce this.

Which ones are you using? Sorry for the confusion -- I linked a bunch in my post. The only ones working for me right now are the "MIFARE CLASSIC STICKER - SQUARE (35MM X 35MM)".

Which ones work for you? Thanks again.

Which ones are you using? Sorry for the confusion -- I linked a bunch in my post. The only ones working for me right now are the "MIFARE CLASSIC STICKER - SQUARE (35MM X 35MM)".

Which ones work for you? Thanks again.

I have a lot of tags from various vendors used for testing and development. I was merely going to try to recreate this as I do have an assortment of Ultralight and Ultralight C tags from Tagstand and other vendors.

Are you having trouble with both the Ultralight C and Ultralights?

I have a lot of tags from various vendors used for testing and development. I was merely going to try to recreate this as I do have an assortment of Ultralight and Ultralight C tags from Tagstand and other vendors.

Are you having trouble with both the Ultralight C and Ultralights?

Correct -- they both work intermittently with NFC Task Launcher as well as NXP Tag Writer / Tag Info. They will randomly work, but definitely not 100% of the time.

I know this might sound stupid but I'm being serious. Can someone actually explain to me what NFC is, how GNEX can use it and what can be done now with it? I just need it simple terms, searching it online just drove me crazy.

Thanks, appreciate the help.

NFC means near field communication. It is the technology used in the credit cards that you tap against a reader rather than swipe through a magnetic strip reader. Google includes the technology mainly because they want to roll out the Google Wallet so you could use your phone like the tap credit cards I mentioned.

What everybody is talking about here is buying NFC stickers that they will place somewhere (desk at work, car dock, nightstand, etc) and using the NFC task launcher program to automate tasks on their phone by touching these stickers.

I hope that helps a little.

No not at all, can read and write to everyone i've tried.
Are you having problems with all you tags, or just some of them?

Yes having issues with Ultralight and Ultralight C tags. They don't read 100% of the time is my problem. Mifare Classic stickers read/write no problem (100% of the time), but the Ultralights I have problems with.

So the phone doesn't react at all??
It doesn't even say Uknown Tag or something?

Sometimes in NXP Tag Info it reads it, but usually the phone does not react at all.

I contacted Tagstand (where I bought the tags from) and they said they had someone else report the problem as well to their support team.

Not sure what would be causing this. I had them pre-formatted with Tagstand Manager, but erased one of the tags (when it read) and I still don't get reads 100% of the time.

Hmm.. I have no clue why they don't work. And if your phone can read the Classic everytime, then it has to a tag-problem, not a phone-problem. And haven't heard about some versions of ICS can't read Ultralights..? What version are you running, maybe i could try loading the version you're running on my phone and try to read formatted and unformatted Ultralights and Ultralight C's?? Just to try and see if there's a problem ;)

The Ultralights my phone has read every time (pre-formatted with TagStand as well), but I've had trouble writing to them, even when I make sure the size is small enough to fit. The Ultralight Cs I have trouble both reading and writing. Classic works fine every time.

I'm running stock 4.0.2, FWIW.

Back
Top Bottom