• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[APP] GrooVe IP - Google Voice VoIP

Installed the latest from Amazon today. I not longer hear incoming voice. I dial a Time/Temp number, rings, connects, no voice. I dial the echo number, rings, connects, no return voice. Original Nexus 7, never a problem before.

I did root a few days ago, but just default 4.3. I did make some calls after, before I upgraded GvIP. Suggestions? I'll go to last version to make sure it still works.

Just went back one and all is well. I noticed on the new version with auto echo tail checked, I didn't get that "beep" that I get with the earlier versions.

Installed the latest from Amazon today. I not longer hear incoming voice. I dial a Time/Temp number, rings, connects, no voice. I dial the echo number, rings, connects, no return voice. Original Nexus 7, never a problem before.

I did root a few days ago, but just default 4.3. I did make some calls after, before I upgraded GvIP. Suggestions? I'll go to last version to make sure it still works.

Just went back one and all is well. I noticed on the new version with auto echo tail checked, I didn't get that "beep" that I get with the earlier versions.

Not sure what version numbers you are using. We've had 3 in the last week (1.3.12 has been there a while, 1.4.0.4 was posted earlier in the week, 1.4.1 was posted today). So not really sure what versions you're referring to. We test on both the old and new Nexus 7 with android 4.3, I tried 1.3.12, 1.4.0.4 and 1.4.1 and have two way sound on all three versions. Could be something in the rom you are using, in which case the most likely issue is the mic source. I'd try Android Default and VoIP.

Amazon is 1.4.0.4 today which is what I tried. I had mic on auto. Not sure about "VoIP", don't remember that setting. I'll reinstall and try it. JWR66V.

Why do people want SMS when GV has it, which you need for GIP anyway?

edit: Tried 1.4.0.4 again from Amazon. Tried auto mic and VOIP mic, same issue. What happens is I place a call to Time/Temp (as a test), 1st call goes through and works. Any call after than does not issue the echo ping, but call connects and there is no return voice. Went back to previous again and all works fine.

edit2: I enabled Audio Processing and Audio Mode Fallback and 1.4.0.4 now works (did not have them st on previous version). Is that good or bad?

edit3: Quit receiving audio again. Back to previous version. I'll wait until today's version hits play store and try it.

Not sure what version numbers you are using. We've had 3 in the last week (1.3.12 has been there a while, 1.4.0.4 was posted earlier in the week, 1.4.1 was posted today). So not really sure what versions you're referring to. We test on both the old and new Nexus 7 with android 4.3, I tried 1.3.12, 1.4.0.4 and 1.4.1 and have two way sound on all three versions. Could be something in the rom you are using, in which case the most likely issue is the mic source. I'd try Android Default and VoIP.

:)
Installed the latest from Amazon today. I not longer hear incoming voice.
I have SO felt your pain! But not with GrooVe IP. Every other VoIP app on Android 4.3 fail to have incoming or outgoing (mostly outgoing) voice.

I just installed and tested 1.4.1 (was on previous v.) and all still seems fine. No modifications from default. Made several echo test calls and one personal. So I hope it fixed your issue, though I'm dubious.

In case you don't have these:

909-390-0003 echo test. Just start talking after the ringback.

914-338-8802 complete test with record and replay, echo, CID report, etc. Very cool.

Amazon is 1.4.0.4 today which is what I tried. I had mic on auto. Not sure about "VoIP", don't remember that setting. I'll reinstall and try it. JWR66V.

Why do people want SMS when GV has it, which you need for GIP anyway?

edit: Tried 1.4.0.4 again from Amazon. Tried auto mic and VOIP mic, same issue. What happens is I place a call to Time/Temp (as a test), 1st call goes through and works. Any call after than does not issue the echo ping, but call connects and there is no return voice. Went back to previous again and all works fine.

edit2: I enabled Audio Processing and Audio Mode Fallback and 1.4.0.4 now works (did not have them st on previous version). Is that good or bad?

edit3: Quit receiving audio again. Back to previous version. I'll wait until today's version hits play store and try it.

I've been digging into this today, to give you an update it looks like the auto-detect setting for echo cancellation is broken. On the original nexus 7 it causes the speaker to get muted. We're looking into it now and should be pushing out an update as soon as we fix it. Until then if you use a manual tail size that will work. I use 100-300 on our original Nexus 7.

Hey snrb. I just noticed that on the newest version (1.4.2) I cannot call out using phones contacts, only Groove's.

I press a Contact and it just flashes once and returns to contact screen.

Hey snrb. I just noticed that on the newest version (1.4.2) I cannot call out using phones contacts, only Groove's.

I press a Contact and it just flashes once and returns to contact screen.

You may want to try a clean install for that issue. I haven't been able to duplicate that (only tried since your post though)

You may want to try a clean install for that issue. I haven't been able to duplicate that (only tried since your post though)
OK, I'll play with it. I just flashed an AOSP rom (Slim Bean) and "Calling from contacts" works fine on it. I did need to set Mic Source to VoIP though, or it was too quiet, or had lots of echo. Testing time.

:)

Are you able to use GrooVe IP Lite with Google Voice Lite to make calls from your cell phone?

Google Voice Lite is mostly known for the voicemail features, but on the Google help page it says you can make outgoing calls with it (under step #2):
https://support.google.com/voice/answer/150640
"Get Google Voice Lite: Setup Google voicemail for your mobile phone(s) and make outgoing domestic calls."

I'm hoping to be able to use my current cell number and make calls from my phone over WiFi with GrooVe IP lite. Is this possible?

Are you able to use GrooVe IP Lite with Google Voice Lite to make calls from your cell phone?

Google Voice Lite is mostly known for the voicemail features, but on the Google help page it says you can make outgoing calls with it (under step #2):
https://support.google.com/voice/answer/150640
"Get Google Voice Lite: Setup Google voicemail for your mobile phone(s) and make outgoing domestic calls."

I'm hoping to be able to use my current cell number and make calls from my phone over WiFi with GrooVe IP lite. Is this possible?

If you just want to make calls with GrooVe IP then all you really need is a gmail account. To receive calls you need a full Google Voice account and phone number.

If you just want to make calls with GrooVe IP then all you really need is a gmail account. To receive calls you need a full Google Voice account and phone number.

OK, thank you for the quick reply :)

Outgoing calls work fine, incoming calls cause GV notification turn from green to red and my reg provider takes the call. I made sure fwd calls to google chat is checked and fwd calls to my cell# is not checked in GV. "Do not disturb" is disabled and I logged out of my GV account on my PC. Ran out of ideas suggested in the FAQs. Thx!

Outgoing calls work fine, incoming calls cause GV notification turn from green to red and my reg provider takes the call. I made sure fwd calls to google chat is checked and fwd calls to my cell# is not checked in GV. "Do not disturb" is disabled and I logged out of my GV account on my PC. Ran out of ideas suggested in the FAQs. Thx!

Hi,

If your native system is getting the call then GrooVe IP isn't receiving it. Are people calling your Google Voice phone number? The app can only receive calls to your Google Voice phone number.

Hi,

If your native system is getting the call then GrooVe IP isn't receiving it. Are people calling your Google Voice phone number? The app can only receive calls to your Google Voice phone number.

Yes, they are calling my Google Voice phone#. GV notification changes from green to red and Sprint takes the call. Thx

Yes, they are calling my Google Voice phone#. GV notification changes from green to red and Sprint takes the call. Thx

Is your sprint number the same as your Google Voice number? And are you on WiFi? The only way the native phone should get the call is if you have calls forwarded to your cell number, or for sprint if they're the same number. If you're on mobile data, Sprint I don't think supports data and voice at the same time. So if your regular cell is getting the call that will cause the app to disconnect.

Is your sprint number the same as your Google Voice number? And are you on WiFi? The only way the native phone should get the call is if you have calls forwarded to your cell number, or for sprint if they're the same number. If you're on mobile data, Sprint I don't think supports data and voice at the same time. So if your regular cell is getting the call that will cause the app to disconnect.

No, my Google Voice # is different than my Sprint cell # and Google Voice FWD settings are for Google Chat and not for my cell # (Sprint cell# is listed as the mobile#, but not checked). I am not on wifi when this happens, haven't tried it on wifi.

Thanks!

No, my Google Voice # is different than my Sprint cell # and Google Voice FWD settings are for Google Chat and not for my cell # (Sprint cell# is listed as the mobile#, but not checked). I am not on wifi when this happens, haven't tried it on wifi.

Thanks!

Hi,

From what you describe it sounds like either your native phone is being called or somewhere things are still forwarded to your cell number. I'd check your Groups & Circles settings in Google Voice. What happens is when the native phone system receives the call your data disconnects. That is what causes the app to sign out.

Hi,

From what you describe it sounds like either your native phone is being called or somewhere things are still forwarded to your cell number. I'd check your Groups & Circles settings in Google Voice. What happens is when the native phone system receives the call your data disconnects. That is what causes the app to sign out.

Yep, Groups and Circles had "Friends" fwd to cell #. Once I switched it to Google Chat, it worked. But since this overrides the fwd option in the main "phones" settings, how do I disable these groups completely so I don't have to go to this page to switch fwd options back and forth when not using GrooveIP? Thanks for your help!

Yep, Groups and Circles had "Friends" fwd to cell #. Once I switched it to Google Chat, it worked. But since this overrides the fwd option in the main "phones" settings, how do I disable these groups completely so I don't have to go to this page to switch fwd options back and forth when not using GrooveIP? Thanks for your help!

Hi,

Sorry, that I don't really know how to disable.

I've installed Groove IP on my 2nd gen Nexus 7, and everything seems to be working (wifi calls). But the contacts list in Groove IP shows only a handful of contacts, not the nearly 400 I have in my google account. I thought the contacts synched with your google account. Have I missed something? Can someone help/explain? Thanks....

I've installed Groove IP on my 2nd gen Nexus 7, and everything seems to be working (wifi calls). But the contacts list in Groove IP shows only a handful of contacts, not the nearly 400 I have in my google account. I thought the contacts synched with your google account. Have I missed something? Can someone help/explain? Thanks....

The app syncs with the contacts database on the device. If you sync your device contacts with your Google account or add contacts via the people app they will show up in GrooVe IP.

The app syncs with the contacts database on the device. If you sync your device contacts with your Google account or add contacts via the people app they will show up in GrooVe IP.

I'm at a loss. I've synched and synched again and tried other fixes. My Google account "my contacts" contains 477 contacts. My Groove IP people list shows 32 contacts. If I add a contact via the people app they do show up in Groove IP, but I can't seem to add any contacts through syncing. I don't really want to do them one at a time. Any help or thoughts appreciated.

I'm at a loss. I've synched and synched again and tried other fixes. My Google account "my contacts" contains 477 contacts. My Groove IP people list shows 32 contacts. If I add a contact via the people app they do show up in Groove IP, but I can't seem to add any contacts through syncing. I don't really want to do them one at a time. Any help or thoughts appreciated.

All I know of is going into the android settings and making sure contacts and people details are checked to sync for the gmail account. You can trigger a manual sync if it hasn't automatically sync'd.

I tried GooVe IP lite today, one problem is that text messages were not coming in at all, is this a bug? FYI using a Galaxy S III on Sprint, rooted but stock.

Back
Top Bottom