• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[APP] GrooVe IP - Google Voice VoIP

I have dual authentication with the gmail account I use for GrooveIP but now cannot log onto Google Voice through the GrooveIP app. Error tells me "The username or password is incorrect"? (LG Optimus V). Thanks!

I have dual authentication with the gmail account I use for GrooveIP but now cannot log onto Google Voice through the GrooveIP app. Error tells me "The username or password is incorrect"? (LG Optimus V). Thanks!

You'll need to get an application specific password from Google. Go into your Google Account, select Security, then under Connected Applications and Sites select the Manage Access button.

As mentioned either get an application specific password for the app or use the OAuth sign in. With OAuth you won't have to manually enter the username or password.

You can reset the app defaults by clearing the application data from the android settings. To remove echo you can enable either of the two echo canceler options from the GrooVe IP audio/echo settings. Or reduce the mic gain and speaker volume settings.

Delay can be caused by many things, most often is either the network or something on the device going into a power saving state. I'd recommend first enabling Keep Screen Alive as that should help if the issue is due to power saving.

Hi snrb,
Before moving many apps to SD card ext2 partition using Link2sd to save internal memory, my Gio 5560 was doing not too bad regarding echo, delay, broken voice...but now there is a long...delay, broken and rusty voice. Is there anything to do with moving apps to SD card? I have tried almost everything setting available from GrooveIP. Please help. Thanks a lot

Hi snrb,
Before moving many apps to SD card ext2 partition using Link2sd to save internal memory, my Gio 5560 was doing not too bad regarding echo, delay, broken voice...but now there is a long...delay, broken and rusty voice. Is there anything to do with moving apps to SD card? I have tried almost everything setting available from GrooveIP. Please help. Thanks a lot

Hi,

Moving apps to the sdcard lowers their priority. You can move things back and see if it improves anything. If nothing else has changed on the device or network that would be the first thing I'd suggest trying.

I hate to be "that guy" - but I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing wrong here. I have absolutely no problems dialing out, but when receiving calls it seems I'm only receiving them via Google Voice through my native dialer. I've made sure to have GrooVe IP Lite running, enabled the Partial Wakelock option and have tested the Accept Call Time at default, 15 & 25 settings... though I'm still receiving calls as if someone is calling my mobile number. Is this correct? I was under the assumption calls should be received within the GrooVe IP app and be displayed in the Recents menu within it. My received calls are only displayed in the native dialer app. Any help is appreciated. :)

HTC Inspire 4G
CM10.1

Edit: My apologies, I hadn't properly forwarded calls to Google Chat. Thanks for the great app!

I hate to be "that guy" - but I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing wrong here. I have absolutely no problems dialing out, but when receiving calls it seems I'm only receiving them via Google Voice through my native dialer. I've made sure to have GrooVe IP Lite running, enabled the Partial Wakelock option and have tested the Accept Call Time at default, 15 & 25 settings... though I'm still receiving calls as if someone is calling my mobile number. Is this correct? I was under the assumption calls should be received within the GrooVe IP app and be displayed in the Recents menu within it. My received calls are only displayed in the native dialer app. Any help is appreciated. :)

HTC Inspire 4G
CM10.1

Edit: My apologies, I hadn't properly forwarded calls to Google Chat. Thanks for the great app!

Glad you figured it out. Thanks for the update.

Im getting choppy reception and the other party hears echos at times. I dont have a menu tab to access the settings. There is a gray bar across the top of the screen just below the top bar that contains the clock, wifi, apps running etc... The gray bar has white letters saying..... Groove Ip- Voice without minutes. There is no menu dots... ??? Im using a LG Optimus M with 2.2 Android...How can i access the menu? :confused: frustrating cause i need to use this app...

Im getting choppy reception and the other party hears echos at times. I dont have a menu tab to access the settings. There is a gray bar across the top of the screen just below the top bar that contains the clock, wifi, apps running etc... The gray bar has white letters saying..... Groove Ip- Voice without minutes. There is no menu dots... ??? Im using a LG Optimus M with 2.2 Android...How can i access the menu? :confused: frustrating cause i need to use this app...

Hi,

I'd recommend enabling Keep Screen On and the Basic Echo canceler from the app settings to see if that helps. Keep Screen On is in the troubleshooting settings. The basic echo canceler is in the audio/echo settings.

I have had GIP for 2 years and about 5 mos ago could not longer be heard by parties I'm calling, they can hear me.

Here is my config:
Samsung Exhibit 4G
GrooveIP

-------------------
Native Dialer SETTINGS
Native Fallback - Yes
Built In Dialer - Always GIP
Dialer settings

-------------------
Audio/Echo SETTINGS
Echo Cancellation - Basic
Echo Tail - Auto
Speaker Volume - 2
Microphone Volume -4
DTMF Feedback - On

-------------------
Troubleshooting SETTINGS
Keep Screen On - Yes
Prevent Accidental Presses - Yes
Synchronize Voice - Yes
Mic Buffer - Large

-------------------
Miscellaneous SETTINGS
Autostart - No
Allow Rotate - Yes

-------------------------------------------------------------------
TESTING

Desktop Gmail Call Gvoice Echo # 909-390-0003
Make call and talk, hear my own echo

Android Phone
Make GVEcho call
Talk and do not hear echo

Goin' nuts here, just can't use it at all

I have had GIP for 2 years and about 5 mos ago could not longer be heard by parties I'm calling, they can hear me.

Here is my config:
Samsung Exhibit 4G
GrooveIP

-------------------
Native Dialer SETTINGS
Native Fallback - Yes
Built In Dialer - Always GIP
Dialer settings

-------------------
Audio/Echo SETTINGS
Echo Cancellation - Basic
Echo Tail - Auto
Speaker Volume - 2
Microphone Volume -4
DTMF Feedback - On

-------------------
Troubleshooting SETTINGS
Keep Screen On - Yes
Prevent Accidental Presses - Yes
Synchronize Voice - Yes
Mic Buffer - Large

-------------------
Miscellaneous SETTINGS
Autostart - No
Allow Rotate - Yes

-------------------------------------------------------------------
TESTING

Desktop Gmail Call Gvoice Echo # 909-390-0003
Make call and talk, hear my own echo

Android Phone
Make GVEcho call
Talk and do not hear echo

Goin' nuts here, just can't use it at all

Responded to your email about the issue

SNRB, thank you for creating GrooVe IP & GrooVe IP Lite :-)

Just d/l'd Lite version this afternoon as a test and although I've only used it so far for roughly four test calls (2 outgoing, 2 incoming to/from various cell and land lines), I only experienced call quality issues with the first call. After tweaking the basic settings (volume & echo), subsequent calls were 95% AOK and everyone I spoke with said they could hear me without noticeable VOIP delay or feedback/echo.

I'll post again when I've made more calls + calls away from my home network. The Acid Test: will calls via Starbucks' Notoriously Waffle-y WiFi work? Back to you soon!

SNRB, thank you for creating GrooVe IP & GrooVe IP Lite :-)

Just d/l'd Lite version this afternoon as a test and although I've only used it so far for roughly four test calls (2 outgoing, 2 incoming to/from various cell and land lines), I only experienced call quality issues with the first call. After tweaking the basic settings (volume & echo), subsequent calls were 95% AOK and everyone I spoke with said they could hear me without noticeable VOIP delay or feedback/echo.

I'll post again when I've made more calls + calls away from my home network. The Acid Test: will calls via Starbucks' Notoriously Waffle-y WiFi work? Back to you soon!

Let me know if you run into any problems. Would be happy to help.

Howdy snrb! Long time no chat.

I have a new one for you. Using a ported 4.3 GPE ROM on my Samsung Galaxy S4 SGH-M919 (T-Mobile), I'm getting an odd wakelock at times using Groove. Note that it is not all the time, but I have found Groove to be the cause.

The kernel WL is "PowerManagerService.Wakelocks". The length of the WL and time coincide with Groove "Partial Wakelock", and when I exit Groove and restart, the WL goes away....for awhile. It may have to do with changing from wifi to 4/G. Something seems to be getting stuck.

I know that this wake lock is simply a catch-all for several different ones, but Partial Wakelocks shows Groove as the culprit. Fwiw, I'm using Better Battery Stats.

I do have Partial Wake Lock checked in Settings (was missing calls), but this WL shows up regardless, and is not constant.

Other than this problem, Groove is the only VoIP app that I have found that works properly on 4.3. :)

Thoughts? Ideas?

I hope all is well with you!

~~

Edit: Also. Groove is not switching to 4/G from wifi. I get an "x" in Groove. I then have to restart Groove.

Interested in the answer to the above too. I've had same wakelock running much longer than previous to 4.3 update (on Nexus 7).

*Chuckle* Today snrb updated GrooVe IP on Play Store:

Version 1.4.0.4:
SMS send/receive support
Rework signalling (faster sign in)
Fix instability on android 4.3
Fix reconnect interval setting
Fix blurry text and dialog cutoff in android 2.3 and below

Here's hoping it fixes what I posted about. :-)

Thank you snrb!

*Chuckle* Today snrb updated GrooVe IP on Play Store:

Version 1.4.0.4:
SMS send/receive support
Rework signalling (faster sign in)
Fix instability on android 4.3
Fix reconnect interval setting
Fix blurry text and dialog cutoff in android 2.3 and below

Here's hoping it fixes what I posted about. :-)

Thank you snrb!

1.4.0.4 should fix issues with the app stopping suddenly or signing out and not signing back in with android 4.3. If you have the partial wake lock setting enabled in the app it will request the wake lock when the app starts and release it when the app stops. But the OS will decide when it's actually needed.

1. 1.4.0.4 should fix issues with the app stopping suddenly or signing out and not signing back in with android 4.3.

2. If you have the partial wake lock setting enabled in the app it will request the wake lock when the app starts and release it when the app stops. But the OS will decide when it's actually needed.
1. Oh, good. I've had that happen too.

2. I don't quite understand this. The wl will run as long as the app is running?? I mean, I understand that's what allows incoming calls not to be missed, but it seems to get stuck under certain conditions. For instance, when I leave wifi (to 4G) the wl begins, then when I rejoin wifi the wl continues and drains the battery faster. Until I leave wifi there is no significant wl. Then the only way to stop the wl is to restart the app.

Argh, it's difficult to explain this in text! :confused: :D

Sorry for being a dunderhead. I've attached some screen shots of what happens when I leave wifi, which is one example of when the wakelocks begin. Notice on the "Other" screen that deep sleep is zero. So when the wl occurs the phone will not deep sleep. I would not think this should happen. Note that no calls were placed or received during that 1.8hr time.

Attachments

• Capture8-14-2013-10.52.10 PM.jpg
    Capture8-14-2013-10.52.10 PM.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 68
  • Capture8-14-2013-10.52.20 PM.jpg
    Capture8-14-2013-10.52.20 PM.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 70
  • Capture8-14-2013-10.55.17 PM.jpg
    Capture8-14-2013-10.55.17 PM.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 70
1. Oh, good. I've had that happen too.

2. I don't quite understand this. The wl will run as long as the app is running?? I mean, I understand that's what allows incoming calls not to be missed, but it seems to get stuck under certain conditions. For instance, when I leave wifi (to 4G) the wl begins, then when I rejoin wifi the wl continues and drains the battery faster. Until I leave wifi there is no significant wl. Then the only way to stop the wl is to restart the app.

Argh, it's difficult to explain this in text! :confused: :D

Sorry for being a dunderhead. I've attached some screen shots of what happens when I leave wifi, which is one example of when the wakelocks begin. Notice on the "Other" screen that deep sleep is zero. So when the wl occurs the phone will not deep sleep. I would not think this should happen. Note that no calls were placed or received during that 1.8hr time.

If you have the partial wake lock setting enabled in GrooVe IP, the app will request the Partial Wake Lock. That lock prevents the device from going into a deep sleep. I'd recommend not using it if you don't need it because it will drastically increase the battery usage. The OS handles the actual operation of the lock. All the app does is request/release the lock when the app starts/stops IF you have the setting enabled.

I'd really recommend not using it unless you need it. You really shouldn't need it on any recent or Nexus device. Just make sure that WiFi is set to stay connected always (if you're using WiFi).

I'd really recommend not using it unless you need it. You really shouldn't need it on any recent or Nexus device. Just make sure that WiFi is set to stay connected always (if you're using WiFi).
OK. Thanks snrb.

Yeah. I'm always on wifi at home and work, but have missed a wifi call here and there when Groove didn't ring (answered native phone). Yes, wifi is set to "Always". No biggie though.

Thanks for the note, and recent update! :)

OK. Thanks snrb.

Yeah. I'm always on wifi at home and work, but have missed a wifi call here and there when Groove didn't ring (answered native phone). Yes, wifi is set to "Always". No biggie though.

Thanks for the note, and recent update! :)

Ya, try it without the partial wake lock and see if you have any issues.

Back
Top Bottom