• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[APP] GrooVe IP - Google Voice VoIP

incoming calls from landline phone having issue on andorid over wifi (have not tried cell data yey). Either the calls go to voicemail or i just cant answer the call or other party does not hear. tried some options under troubleshooting did not help. it happens all the time.

GrooVe IP calls over your data connection or over WiFi. The Google Voice app calls using your cell phone minutes. GrooVe IP can make calls on any android device running android 2.1 or above, even if they have no cell plan by using WiFi. Including tablets or inactive cell phones.

Thanks, this really clarified things up. I thought different. I can make free calls from Gmail Talk feature (from computer) - the phone icon next to the chat. Is this google voice? I tried to get do this from my Android browser it i did not work, and I thought Google voice app did this, but I guess I was wrong. I cannot even get Google voice app here in Canada. I've been searching everywhere for a VOIP app to make free calls. If this works - it'll perfect!

Yeah you can do it from your computer but not with your data on the phone. I would definitely recommend it, been using it for over a year now and it's a much simpler and robust solution compared to sipdroid or the like. Might take a few to find the optimal setting for your phone but once you do your good to go. And the dev has always been extremely responsive. I had it working on my Intercept back in the day, if it worked on that pos it should be able to run on any phone. :p

I have an LG Optimus Slider and have installed Groove IP and I'm using it with Wifi only. Great app, however, when I call someone, they tell me that they can hear their own voice echoing badly. Also, there is a long delay until I can hear the person's voice, or they can hear mine.

I tried playing with the settings but it didn't really help. Of course I don't really know what I'm doing. I couldn't find a way to reset Groove IP settings to default, so I ended up uninstalling and reinstalling it.

Any tips or help would be very much appreciated.

I have an LG Optimus Slider and have installed Groove IP and I'm using it with Wifi only. Great app, however, when I call someone, they tell me that they can hear their own voice echoing badly. Also, there is a long delay until I can hear the person's voice, or they can hear mine.

I tried playing with the settings but it didn't really help. Of course I don't really know what I'm doing. I couldn't find a way to reset Groove IP settings to default, so I ended up uninstalling and reinstalling it.

There's a setting in the paid version that addresses echoes. Try playing around with that.

You can reset the app defaults by clearing the application data from the android settings. To remove echo you can enable either of the two echo canceler options from the GrooVe IP audio/echo settings. Or reduce the mic gain and speaker volume settings.

Delay can be caused by many things, most often is either the network or something on the device going into a power saving state. I'd recommend first enabling Keep Screen Alive as that should help if the issue is due to power saving.

Happy Holidays snrb. Long time no type! :-)

I recently got a Samsung Galaxy S2 T989 (T-Mobile), and I'm getting audio_mvs_suspend wakelock when GrooVeIP is loaded (newest version). This kills the battery rapidly.

I do not have Partial Wake Lock or High Perf checked. App is at defualt settings.

Have tried several ROMs and it shows up on all of them.

Running an ICS ROM.

Happy Holidays snrb. Long time no type! :-)

I recently got a Samsung Galaxy S2 T989 (T-Mobile), and I'm getting audio_mvs_suspend wakelock when GrooVeIP is loaded (newest version). This kills the battery rapidly.

I do not have Partial Wake Lock or High Perf checked. App is at defualt settings.

Have tried several ROMs and it shows up on all of them.

Running an ICS ROM.

Unfortunately don't know what to suggest. That's not a lock that is available via the sdk so it's not one the app can specifically request. Not sure what would cause it.

Rats. I did confirm that it's VoIP related so it has something to do with these VoIP apps. It never shows otherwise.

A reboot can get rid of it, a least temporarily, but it can come back after using Groove, etc. Sigh....

Thanks, and Happy Holidays!

Hi there! I'm using groove ip to turn my old out-of-service Incredible 2 into an apartment "land line" that's always on and charged. This has been super brilliant since my partner seems to constantly forget to charge his own phone. One quibble though: I use gchat often and although I have checked the keep-me-invisible option in groove ip, friends report I am green/available at all hours of the night. This is confusing for them and me since they sometimes send messages that I then miss. Is checking that option only useful if I manually set gchat to invisible before I sign out from my computer? I was under the impression that the app would maybe realize it was the only account signed in and flip over the status (otherwise why have an alternate away message setting? I have set that too but friends don't report seeing it). Any help would be much appreciated.

Hi there! I'm using groove ip to turn my old out-of-service Incredible 2 into an apartment "land line" that's always on and charged. This has been super brilliant since my partner seems to constantly forget to charge his own phone. One quibble though: I use gchat often and although I have checked the keep-me-invisible option in groove ip, friends report I am green/available at all hours of the night. This is confusing for them and me since they sometimes send messages that I then miss. Is checking that option only useful if I manually set gchat to invisible before I sign out from my computer? I was under the impression that the app would maybe realize it was the only account signed in and flip over the status (otherwise why have an alternate away message setting? I have set that too but friends don't report seeing it). Any help would be much appreciated.

Hi,

We're looking into invisible status right now. It looks like the latest version may have a bug that's causing invisible status to be lost if the app resigns in. Soon as we have a fix we'll be posting an update.

Could someone explain to me in idiot speak why grooveip is needed to call using GV? I don't understand why GV would use minutes if you were to only use it. Why hasn't google integrated a solution into GV that is the same as Grooveip so you don't have to use two apps to route calls? thanks

Don't really have much that can help with that. Audio routing is mostly done by the device. The app just calls a toggle method to turn bluetooth on/off. You can try disabling bluetooth in the app miscellaneous settings. That may trigger the device to route audio without the app calling the toggle.

I love your app; thanks for writing it. How can I use bluetooth headset with it? Right now, when I enable Bluetooth on the device, the phone app gets precedence on the bluetooth: trying to answer a GrooVeIP in-coming call instead switches to the phone app which then tries to make an out-going call. I don't want to use the phone app (carrier call) at all; only GrooVeIP The bluetooth button on GrooVeIP, which appears for an existing call, doesn't route audio/mic thru the bluetooth.

Nexus 4; Android 4.2.1, just purchased GrooVeIP Feb 8, 2013 version.

I love your app; thanks for writing it. How can I use bluetooth headset with it? Right now, when I enable Bluetooth on the device, the phone app gets precedence on the bluetooth: trying to answer a GrooVeIP in-coming call instead switches to the phone app which then tries to make an out-going call. I don't want to use the phone app (carrier call) at all; only GrooVeIP The bluetooth button on GrooVeIP, which appears for an existing call, doesn't route audio/mic thru the bluetooth.

Nexus 4; Android 4.2.1, just purchased GrooVeIP Feb 8, 2013 version.

Hi,

It sounds like you have calls forwarded to your cell and to Google Chat. I'd recommend forwarding calls only to Google Chat so only GrooVe IP rings on an incoming call. Also you won't be able to answer or hangup with the bluetooth buttons. The android sdk doesn't expose those button presses to apps.

I'm running Droid 2 android version 2.3.4 system version 4.5.621.A955.en.US.

When I call out and am on an active call, my call will drop around 3 minutes 43 seconds,like clockwork.

The app will automatically sign out of Google Voice... if I immediately try to open the app and "sign in" to Google Voice, I'm given a message that says the WIFI network is not available... then seconds later I can sign in, the app signs into Google Voice, and I'm good to go again.

I've run SpeedTest on my network and averages are between 625 to 650 kps download and 368 to 380 kps upload.

I've enabled audio processing, High Perf WIFI lock, Reconnect interval is set to Never, Keep Screen on is off, Partial Wake Lock is off.

What the heck is going on here? I certainly hope there is an answer to stop this or I'll regret my purchase...

Thanks in advance for your help on this.

EDIT NOTE: I realized I had a battery saver app that cuts out the internet connection... supposedly when it is inactive and it does a turn/on off every 15 minutes to check for email etc... perhaps your app does not send a signal that the internet is active for some reason that this batter saver app understands....

So... I disabled the app and will test to see if my problem goes away.... as it is after midnight, I'll have to wait till tomorrow to find out..... Will keep you posted.

Edit: Ignore this post. I was having a problem every now and then where my phone doesn't ring on an incoming call until the last second before sending the caller to voicemail and I asked about that. Then I found the setting about the Partial Wake Lock in the Troubleshooting settings. I will try that for awhile.

Thanks for all of your hard work, snrb!

I purchased the app a while back because I envisioned using it on my TF101 tablet and turning it into a phone. But I needed my cell phone anyway because people would call it directly.

But I played with it over the weekend on my cell phone and the call quality is so much better on wi-fi, plus they see my GV number which is what I want them to see.

But here's what I kept doing out of habit......hitting the physical "end call" button on my phone, which didn't end the GrooveIP call. Is there a way to make the "end call" button end the GrooveIP call?

I purchased the app a while back because I envisioned using it on my TF101 tablet and turning it into a phone. But I needed my cell phone anyway because people would call it directly.

But I played with it over the weekend on my cell phone and the call quality is so much better on wi-fi, plus they see my GV number which is what I want them to see.

But here's what I kept doing out of habit......hitting the physical "end call" button on my phone, which didn't end the GrooveIP call. Is there a way to make the "end call" button end the GrooveIP call?

Unfortunately not. Android doesn't pass certain button presses to an app. The physical dial, hang up, power and home buttons are not sent exposed to apps.

Curious about 911 calls. I bought a T-mobile Hot Spot device and now get a "4G" hot spot with my Nexus 7. Groove IP works great on wifi and almost as good on this wifi hotspot. I know Google doesn't support 911 calls, but if the call is going through T-mobile, will 911 work?

Curious about 911 calls. I bought a T-mobile Hot Spot device and now get a "4G" hot spot with my Nexus 7. Groove IP works great on wifi and almost as good on this wifi hotspot. I know Google doesn't support 911 calls, but if the call is going through T-mobile, will 911 work?

Google Voice doesn't support 911 calls. If you are using the app on a phone and you dial 911 from within the app, the app will send the call through the native phone system. If you are using the app on a tablet that doesn't have a native phone system then 911 will not work.

One more question. Any way to get rid of sounding like the GrooveIP call is coming from a cave? Not really an echo. My wife kept complaining about this, so I had her call me with my Nexus 7. The sound on the N7 is very clear and "normal", but the sound at our house (from the N7) sounds like the N7 is in a cave or large stadium (very hollow). Could it be a speakerphone thing since the N7 isn't really a phone? I tried mic gain from -3 to zero, no real change.

edit: Nevermind, I just installed Talkatone and my wife says there is no echo. Default settings and everything works. Sorry, been a fan of GrooveIP for a year or so. Hello-Goodbye.

I have an issue that I have not found after reading the 28 pages.
I have A MyTouch phone. rooted stock ROM. Calls are crystal clear both ways on WiFi.
2 tablest, coby kyros 8024 rooted and mod rom also generic Chinese not rooted stock, both have terrible audio, sound like a wind tunnel.
Have done all the setting. Done all the Mic mods etc. etc. but nothing seems to cure it.
My internet is solid 800kbs download and 400kbs upload AT&T DSL, so that should not be an issue. As I said phone is perfect.

??? anyone have a clue??
Other than that this is a fantastic app.

Do you have a wired headset you can use to see if that makes any difference on the tablets? Also, I'd suggest first doing a clean install before any other troubleshooting. Uninstall the app, restart the device, then download and install the app.

Has anyone been able to get Groove to work with their vehicle's Bluetooth? When I try mine other people can hear me, but I'm unable to hear them.

Has anyone been able to get Groove to work with their vehicle's Bluetooth? When I try mine other people can hear me, but I'm unable to hear them.

Try increasing the bluetooth specific mic gain from the audio/echo settings. On some vehicles we've had to increase both the bluetooth speaker and mic volumes.

Back
Top Bottom