• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[APP] GrooVe IP - Google Voice VoIP

Quick update.. A possible alternative to the grooveip forwarder that I just found is this Auto AP app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.geekherd.autoap.
The idea is to setup google voice to forward to both your cell# and gchat/grooveip. To avoid the double ring, this app will enable/disable cell antenna by putting your phone into airplane mode automatically based on wifi signal. It'll even start/stop grooveip as well.

As a (huge!) side benefit, you'll save lots of battery by not having your cell radio on all the time when you're at home/work with a wifi signal.

I've done some basic tests with it and it does seem to do what it says. I haven't done much real world testing of this but I'll update.

Sweet!

SNRB, thanks for all the hard work. This is truly a great product you have and it's helping to pave the way out from phne carrier bs. I'm trying to move away from TMobile's WIFI calling feature which was amazing when it worked on my HTC G2 but not so amazing at all on the Galaxy s3. It's broken now and they're not sure when it'll be fixed.

I use grooveip and recently found the groove forwarder app. I was excited when I understood that it can simulat tmobile's wifi calling feature by setting the forwarding to grooveip vs cell phone network depending on the wifi connection. Unfortunately, it doesnt seem like it can do it automatically. The only thing possible without having a data connection as you explained in this thread is to change the values manually.

I assumed you had a server that would continuously ping the forwarder app to determine if it's reachable online. Once it's no longer reachable, the server would switch to forward to the cell network. Once the forwarder contacts the server and pings restart, it would switch to grooveip/gtalk.

Any chance that this automatic behavior could become a reality any time soon? It'd be worth upping the price of the .99 cent app for sure.

Again, thanks for helping me get this far!

We don't really have any server. Forwarder works by monitoring things on your device. It recognizes when GrooVe IP is signed in or out or what type of network you are on to make the changes. But it does require a network connection to make the change in your Google Voice account.

I'm confused; doesn't airplane mode disable wifi?

Airplane mode disables WiFi but you can manually enable it after setting airplane mode. My guess is the app sets airplane mode but also turns on WiFi afterwards.

snrb,
thanks for your reply. I just took the plunge and kicked off the number port from my carrier to google voice upon installing AutoAP which seems like the last piece of the puzzle.

Do you think there's any sense in putting in that sort of functionality directly into GrooveIP? It's likely a common use case to want to automatically turn off cell radio upon having a grooveip connection and restoring it when the connection can't be built.

snrb,
thanks for your reply. I just took the plunge and kicked off the number port from my carrier to google voice upon installing AutoAP which seems like the last piece of the puzzle.

Do you think there's any sense in putting in that sort of functionality directly into GrooveIP? It's likely a common use case to want to automatically turn off cell radio upon having a grooveip connection and restoring it when the connection can't be built.

Hi,

Just want to make sure you know that by porting your number to Google Voice you'll likely terminate your service with your carrier. Is that what you meant to do?

It's something I'll take back to the rest of the team and see if it makes sense to add into GrooVe IP natively.

Hi,

Just want to make sure you know that by porting your number to Google Voice you'll likely terminate your service with your carrier. Is that what you meant to do?

It's something I'll take back to the rest of the team and see if it makes sense to add into GrooVe IP natively.

Yep absolutely aware. Although it's a weird request for them, they plan on giving me a new phone number and letting the current number get ported out.

I live in Belgium for now while maintaining my US Tmobile account. I'm fairly confident now that this will work out as well if not better than tmobile's wifi calling feature that I've been using for the past 6 months and I'm itching for the port to finish. If it does work (Auto AP and all), I think you have a good solution on your hands targeting travelers abroad that want to continue using their phones. Putting it into one polished downloadable package should make it far more appealing.

Ok, I'm going to try out AutoAP and see if it does what I want. Will keep Groove IP Forwarder though just in case you guys change it up. :)

I cant make the echo go away... I can hear myself through the ear peice and its very annoying.. How do i get groove ip to work properly with my samsung galaxy prevail???

I cant make the echo go away... I can hear myself through the ear peice and its very annoying.. How do i get groove ip to work properly with my samsung galaxy prevail???

Echo is caused by the mic picking up sound from the speaker. Which side hears the echo? The echo canceler settings in GrooVe IP will remove echo heard by the person you are talking to through GrooVe IP. One thing to know is if you are calling a phone that is close to you that will cause echo. You can remove echo heard by the person you are talking to by using the echo canceler options in GrooVe IP or by lowering the mic gain and speaker volume settings.

I'm having issues using the Plantronics Voyager Pro HD with the Galaxy S III. I can make and receive calls w/o bluetooth. I can hear the caller fine, but the mic on the bluetooth isn't picking up audio. I tried raising the gain on the BT mic and its dead silent on the other end. Please provide tips/settings that might help alleviate the problem.

I'm having issues using the Plantronics Voyager Pro HD with the Galaxy S III. I can make and receive calls w/o bluetooth. I can hear the caller fine, but the mic on the bluetooth isn't picking up audio. I tried raising the gain on the BT mic and its dead silent on the other end. Please provide tips/settings that might help alleviate the problem.

Don't really have much that can help with that. Audio routing is mostly done by the device. The app just calls a toggle method to turn bluetooth on/off. You can try disabling bluetooth in the app miscellaneous settings. That may trigger the device to route audio without the app calling the toggle.

Hi there - new member. Just got Samsung Galxy Y Duos with default settings. Android 2.3.6.

Excited for app, but having problems with the outgoing call audio. Have gotten the incoming voice to come in very clear with Audio Processing and Synchronize voice checked. Mic Gain and speaker volume slightly above defaults. Have tried various settings but every time the person on the other end cannot hear my voice. There is a clicking sound occasionally when I speak, but no call audio.
The peculiar thing is I know the mic works fine because I just made long distance calls with skype. However, regardless of mic source, buffer, etc I cannot get outgoing call audio. Any suggested settings, thoughts would be much appreciated!!!!!

Cheers.

FOUND SOLUTION: It was the mic source -had to change to VOIP or to voice call. the auto detect did not pick up my voice. Hope it helps someone!

Hi there - new member. Just got Samsung Galxy Y Duos with default settings. Android 2.3.6.

Excited for app, but having problems with the outgoing call audio. Have gotten the incoming voice to come in very clear with Audio Processing and Synchronize voice checked. Mic Gain and speaker volume slightly above defaults. Have tried various settings but every time the person on the other end cannot hear my voice. There is a clicking sound occasionally when I speak, but no call audio.
The peculiar thing is I know the mic works fine because I just made long distance calls with skype. However, regardless of mic source, buffer, etc I cannot get outgoing call audio. Any suggested settings, thoughts would be much appreciated!!!!!

Cheers.

FOUND SOLUTION: It was the mic source -had to change to VOIP or to voice call. the auto detect did not pick up my voice. Hope it helps someone!

Is your device stock? If so I can change the default settings in the app for that device. Can you shoot me an email, there's some info I'd need off your device to make the change to the defaults.

Just popping in to say I've been using Groove IP for many months now on a deactivated Evo as my home phone, and it has performed flawlessly. I appreciate your continued development, you keep making it better. :D

I have downloaded Groove IP lite to my android phone, set up the GV and tested calling and receiving few US numbers. It worked !

I have a couple of questions:

When I tried to use a conf call number (Free conf call : 1-218-xxx-xxxx) to dial in to the call, the call failed.

Can you make such conference call numbers, either local or 1-800 or this is something that has been blocked ?

Can you call into toll number local to US or a toll free 1-877# and use a calling card to make international call ?

Thanks in advance

I have downloaded Groove IP lite to my android phone, set up the GV and tested calling and receiving few US numbers. It worked !

I have a couple of questions:

When I tried to use a conf call number (Free conf call : 1-218-xxx-xxxx) to dial in to the call, the call failed.

Can you make such conference call numbers, either local or 1-800 or this is something that has been blocked ?

Can you call into toll number local to US or a toll free 1-877# and use a calling card to make international call ?

Thanks in advance

Google Voice blocks certain free conference call numbers. The app should support calling any number that Google Voice supports. I believe calling cards should work fine.

Thank you for the response.

I tried few free conf call numbers with local area code. I think it is all blocked.

I tried 2 different international calling cards which has local area code to dial.

It got thru the card #/ password levels, but international connection failed
Does GV/Groove application identify a foreign lanline/cell phone while calling over ip on wifi ?

Does it make a difference if you are using Goove IP or Groove IP Lite ?

Thanks again....

Thank you for the response.

I tried few free conf call numbers with local area code. I think it is all blocked.

I tried 2 different international calling cards which has local area code to dial.

It got thru the card #/ password levels, but international connection failed
Does GV/Groove application identify a foreign lanline/cell phone while calling over ip on wifi ?

Does it make a difference if you are using Goove IP or Groove IP Lite ?

Thanks again....

Believe once the call hits the IVR for the calling card then Google Voice shouldn't have an issue with what digits you are dialing. GrooVe IP and GrooVe IP Lite will behave the same when dialing numbers. The app doesn't filter any phone number, just passes it through to Google Voice.

Purchased this app and installed on Samsung Exhibit 2 4G SGH-679 (T-Mobile Galaxy Exhibit 4G), stock ROM. The call qaulity is really horrible. Not only the callers said the there are echos, and LOT of static noises, and I can hear the statics too. Besides the volume is very small.

Tried every setting adjustments (Tried echo canceling - basic/adaptive, speaker gain, mic gain) and no use at all. Total waste of money.

And I don't know exactly what exactly the setting is, because when I move the scale for the setting, it won't stay! The green meter usually went back to left even if I adjusted the gain to the right!

Purchased this app and installed on Samsung Exhibit 2 4G SGH-679 (T-Mobile Galaxy Exhibit 4G), stock ROM. The call qaulity is really horrible. Not only the callers said the there are echos, and LOT of static noises, and I can hear the statics too. Besides the volume is very small.

Tried every setting adjustments (Tried echo canceling - basic/adaptive, speaker gain, mic gain) and no use at all. Total waste of money.

And I don't know exactly what exactly the setting is, because when I move the scale for the setting, it won't stay! The green meter usually went back to left even if I adjusted the gain to the right!

Hi,

Never enable the adaptive echo canceler on the Exhibit. It uses too much cpu for the exhibit and will cause poor quality voice. I'd suggest doing a clean install. Uninstall the app, restart the device, then download and install the app. Enable only the Basic Echo Canceler. If you still have issues reducing the mic gain and speaker volume should also help. I'd recommend enabling Keep Screen Alive if you're calling over WiFi. Just in case something on the device is going into a power saving state when the screen turns off.

Hi,

Never enable the adaptive echo canceler on the Exhibit. It uses too much cpu for the exhibit and will cause poor quality voice. I'd suggest doing a clean install. Uninstall the app, restart the device, then download and install the app. Enable only the Basic Echo Canceler. If you still have issues reducing the mic gain and speaker volume should also help. I'd recommend enabling Keep Screen Alive if you're calling over WiFi. Just in case something on the device is going into a power saving state when the screen turns off.

Followed your instruction and seems better now. Thanks!

Spoke too soon. Only the incoming call volume is good.

Outgoing MIC gain & volume is still horrible.

I try to move MIC gain to the right, but the setting won't stay and always go back to left.

The other side almost can't hear me at all!

New to forum posts and appreciate tolerance here.

Downloaded, installed and configured GrooveIP Lite, version 1.1.11. It seems to perform admirably with one issue now ... all incoming calls have a continuous loud tone (ring) without break (like an alarm) until action is taken by myself.

Phone is original Droid X, rooted with original ROM for now.

Anyone have any suggestions ? Thanks.

New to forum posts and appreciate tolerance here.

Downloaded, installed and configured GrooveIP Lite, version 1.1.11. It seems to perform admirably with one issue now ... all incoming calls have a continuous loud tone (ring) without break (like an alarm) until action is taken by myself.

Phone is original Droid X, rooted with original ROM for now.

Anyone have any suggestions ? Thanks.

Not sure I understand. Are you talking about the ring tone? It's continuous meaning no pause at all? Should only ring a few times before the call is transferred to voicemail. Would also suggest updating to 1.1.2. You can adjust the ringtone used by the app from the app audio/echo settings. There's a ringtone override setting.

Back
Top Bottom