• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root AT&T "Bloatware" getting in your way? Delete some of it!

Each "mv" command is for one application. The five applications from top to bottom are:

AT&T navigator
AT&T radio
MobiTV
Mobile banking
AT&T maps

Can you remove some of the other applications such as family maps, mobile video, etc using the titanium backup process?

I've managed to delete Family maps, Mobile video, Allstate, Text2Go (I think that's what it was called), and mini diary. There are a few more that can go I believe.

would you mind posting all the ones you know you can get rid of. I dont plan on using any of those but i want to know they are safe to delete.

I had gone today to get the screen protectors (which took me a inordinately long amount of tinkering to get lined up and bubble free by the way) and incipio polycarbonate shell today, when while checking out the store salesperson asked if I wanted to add AT&T Telenav to my account. That put me over the edge. I wasn't initially planning to get rid of these apps, but today they are all tmp files. If they make the phone faster or battery last longer, that's an added bonus, but to know that I'll have to jump through some hoops to ever run them again even accidentally is a great relief to me.

the titanium backup method does not work when trying to restore the back ups. even if selected to back up system files. this sucks! im glad i only tested it on one app.

anyway around this?

Ok I have two questions.

Can you delete all the AT&T apps and not screw something up? I've heard the only apps you shouldn't delete are the Google apps.

Since it seems Titanium Backup can't restore the apps what do you do if you have to send your phone to AT&T?

Anyone found the path to the allshare apk? That's the alamo of AT&T crap on my phone, renaming the others all worked for me

ok... stupid question. i have rooted the phone and have the busybox installer added as well. I downloaded the titanium backup to do the second method discussed on here and i cant find where in the world you guys are deleting these apps from - i dont even have a list to choose from. i have 5 options.

wi-fi access points
bluetooth pairings
application widgets
accounts
country, language, time zone

i figured it would be in application widgets.... but um....... (****** moment coming up) ... cant click anything in there.

Now we just need to find the pathways to remove:

Media Hub
Mini Diary
Mobile Video
Write and Go

Then my phone will be fully rid of pre-loaded crap.

Ok so I dont understand the two steps before I'm supposed to type that stuff into comand prompt...I'm not the best on a computer but I'm tryin partg...so basically i dont understand the part that says "cd to your sdk install directory. cd to tools within the sdk directory" if someone can help me out with this I would really appreciate it.thank you

Ok so I dont understand the two steps before I'm supposed to type that stuff into comand prompt...I'm not the best on a computer but I'm tryin partg...so basically i dont understand the part that says "cd to your sdk install directory. cd to tools within the sdk directory" if someone can help me out with this I would really appreciate it.thank you
I will give the warning that you should be careful if you don't really know what you're doing.

As for your other question, in cmd prompt you enter cd.. to go up a directory. To go to a directory that is in the current folder enter cd followed by the name of the directory, e.g. cd sdk (if that's the name of your sdk folder) and then cd tools.

I am not very good with the computer but I certainly want to get rid of my bloatware. I am rooted, and have the drivers/sdk. When I go in to command prompt and CD the the tools folder the ADB Shell command doesn't work. It says "error: Device not found". I am in debugging mode on the phone and it is mounted. I am confused on what is wrong.

When I try titanium backup it won't work. it force closes frequently. When I looked it up online the app had tabs at the top. They do not appear on my screen. Also: On the overview page it says this:

Root access => OK
HyperShell => NO
Fast/Auto app install => NO
SQlite -> YES

Do I need hypershell? How do I back up? So confused.

ok... stupid question. i have rooted the phone and have the busybox installer added as well. I downloaded the titanium backup to do the second method discussed on here and i cant find where in the world you guys are deleting these apps from - i dont even have a list to choose from. i have 5 options.

wi-fi access points
bluetooth pairings
application widgets
accounts
country, language, time zone

i figured it would be in application widgets.... but um....... (****** moment coming up) ... cant click anything in there.

I had exactly the same stupid question. Clicked 'Problems ?' button in Ti Backup, it did some magic (installed newer Busybox?) and I got a huge list of apps to uninstall now :D

for those who don't know what the commands are doing, it's really quite simple.

the 'mv' command moves a file. in this case we're moving filename.apk to filename.tmp so that the phone no longer sees it as an application.

in the case of:
mv /system/app/WISPr_v41.apk /system/app/WISPr_v41.tmp

we're moving the WISPr_v41.apk file that is in the folder /system/app to the same directory with the slightly different filename of WISPr_v41.tmp.

if someone actually had to type all that out instead of copy and pasting, it would be faster to simply do the following:
cd /system/app
mv WISPr_v41.apk WISPr_v41.tmp

the first command changing to the /system/app directory, the second, well, you should know by now :P

there are many things you can do with the command line though. for example:

# ls |grep -i ATT
ATT-P11_PROD.tmp
attmaps20-1094.tmp
ATT_Radio_2.1.07.tmp
ATTNav-Samsung-Vega-1488.tmp

the 'ls' command will show what's in a directory. if you don't specify one, it'll show the current one. the 'grep' command will search for certain text and is an incredibly powerful tool. the '|' feeds the output from one command into another. in this case, it "pipes" the contents of the current directory (/system/app in this case) to grep which then searches for ATT (-i makes it be caps insensitive) and only displays files that contain it.

but, that's just an example :)

Why is everyone so interested in removing these apps? Do they really tie up that much of your system resources? IMHO, I think not.

Why is everyone so interested in removing these apps? Do they really tie up that much of your system resources? IMHO, I think not.

For me, it was a matter of just getting them out of the app list. A lot of them require a subscription or pay-per-use, and I didn't want to have to worry about accidentally clicking on something I didn't want.

Back
Top Bottom