• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root AT&T "Bloatware" getting in your way? Delete some of it!

Why is everyone so interested in removing these apps? Do they really tie up that much of your system resources? IMHO, I think not.
I don't know that they were necessarily tying up much resources, but they were certainly running a lot of the time. If I would check on running applications, I often found them there. Subjectively, I believe that after removal my phone was faster and battery life improved.

Also, I'm with maerlim about not wanting to accidentally activate some useless service. I have a four year old daughter who loves all kinds of gadgets and is very good at navigating menus, even though she doesn't read. Definitely don't want any accidents.

WOW.

Thank you so much. This was a great guide along with other guides on the net, I was able to complete this in minutes. I am computer savvy I would say and understand what I am doing, and how it could negatively effect my android but this is all new to me. Thank you.

I highly suggest reedditing the OP with the complete list of renamable software.

Thank you so much. I find the renaming to be the best way to go. No accidental activation, AT&T cant randomly load the app, no miss clicks, no system resource hogging, no annoying icons.

Any reversible for any reason. Nothing would be worse then deleting something that has to do with txting or phone calls and having to search the webs for it.

Its not the fact that its intensive on the system but it does help BUT

IT IS THE PRINCIPLE ATT. ATT needs to stop spamming their charge software all over the place. I agree it should come loaded with any phone since it comes from them. Just like a dell laptop. BUT it should be removable EASILY with out negative consequences. It makes me so angry you can not just remove them. I understand they apparently need to make more money but come on. If I do not want it. I do not want it. Its like a nagging salesman.

Its the principle for me.

Now for a good GPS firmware upgrade that actually locks on and I wont go insane.

Now we just need to find the pathways to remove:

Media Hub
Mini Diary
Mobile Video
Write and Go

Then my phone will be fully rid of pre-loaded crap.
All of this is reversable... Do at your own risk. I cannot say I have thourghly tested any of this. I am tempted to reenable ATT MAPS to help with gps. I have only had the phone 6 days.

Using ADB SHELL and my phones app list and samsung widget list... I compared names and tested turning APKs into TMPs.

All of this is reversable... Do at your own risk. I cannot say I have thourghly tested any of this. I am tempted to reenable ATT MAPS to help with gps. I have only had the phone 6 days.

CD to SDK
adb shell
su
cd system
cd app
ls

see list of apps...

The following commands can be done in the root folder
mv /system/app/ATTNav-Samsung-Vega-1488.apk /system/app/ATTNav-Samsung-Vega-1488.tmp
mv /system/app/ATT_Radio_2.1.07.apk /system/app/ATT_Radio_2.1.07.tmp
mv /system/app/MobiTV_800x480_320_20100610_1.0.0.15-118829.apk /system/app/MobiTV_800x480_320_20100610_1.0.0.15-118829.tmp
mv /system/app/MobileBanking.apk /system/app/MobileBanking.tmp
mv /system/app/attmaps20-1094.apk /system/app/attmaps20-1094.tmp
mv /system/app/WISPr_v41.apk /system/app/WISPr_v41.tmp
mv /system/app/androidlauncher2.1-61x612010_06_11t15_49.apk /system/app/androidlauncher2.1-61x612010_06_11t15_49.tmp
mv /system/app/ATT-P11_PROD.apk /system/app/ATT-P11_PROD.tmp
mv /system/app/IM-Signed.apk /system/app/IM-Signed.tmp
mv /system/app/WHERE_Samsung_GT-I900_Vegas_EN_1.9.3_GM_06112010.apk /system/app/WHERE_Samsung_GT-900_Vegas_EN_1.9.3_GM_06112010.tmp
mv /system/app/YPMobile-release_875.apk /system/app/YPMobile-release_875.tmp

I then went into the system/app folder, listed contents and went further. Once in system/app folder i ran these commands...

SAMSUNG Poopy Feed and Updates Widget... nice try SAMSUNG but just didnt do it for me...
mv SamsungWidget_FeedAndUpdate.apk SAMSUNG SamsungWidget_FeedAndUpdate.tmp

Mini Diary
mv MiniDiary.apk MiniDiaryapk.tmp

Yellow Pages Mobile
mv YPMobile-release_875.apk YPMobile-release_875apk.tmp

Crap Wallpaper - After that I deleted with titanium
mv magicsmokewallpapers.apk magicsmokewallpapersapk.tmp

SAMSUNG Calendar Clock Crap Widget
SamsungWidget_CalendarClock.odex

SAMSUNG Buddies Widget
mv BuddiesNow.apk BuddiesNow.tmp

SAMSUNG Clock Widget
mv SamsungWidget_StockClock.apk SamsungWidget_StockClockapk.tmp

My Files - I use astro now
mv MyFiles.apk MyFilesapk.tmp
Media Hub
mv MediaHub.apk MediaHubapk.tmp

Originally thought this was mobile video... I just reversed the command
mv MediaProvider.apk MediaProviderapk.tmp
mv MediaProviderapk.tmp MediaProvider.apk

Mobile Video
mv MobileVideo.apk MobileVideoapk.tmp

SAMSUNG Dual Clock
mv DualClock.apk DualClockapk.tmp

SAMSUNG Days
mv Days.apk Daysapk.tmp

CMD COPY PASTE OF MY LOVE
C:\android-sdk-windows\tools>adb shell
$ su
su
cd# system
cd system
# cd app
cd app
# ls
ls
MiniDiaryapk.tmp
WISPr_v41.tmp
LogsProvider.odex
SnsProvider.apk
ClockPackage.apk
MarketUpdater.apk
Talk.apk
VoiceRecorder.apk
SamsungWidget_CalendarClockapk.tmp
InputEventApp.odex
IM-Signed.tmp
SnsAccount.odex
DownloadProvider.apk
Vending.apk
TwWallpaperChooser.apk
MiniDiary.odex
LogsProvider.apk
Personalization.odex
RilFactoryApp.apk
GmailProvider.apk
TelephonyProvider.odex
Bluetooth.apk
Divx.odex
SnsProvider.odex
VpnServices.apk
Gallery3D.apk
TouchWizCalculator.apk
BuddiesNowapk.tmp
BluetoothOPP.odex
GoogleSearch.odex
SnsAccount.apk
SoundPlayer.apk
lcdtest.apk
LbsTestMode.apk
PhoneCrashNotifier.odex
Phone.apk
VoiceRecorder.odex
Browser.apk
wipereceiver.apk
FlashSVGPlayer.odex
ApplicationsProvider.odex
DrmUA.odex
CallSetting.apk
LiveWallpapers.odex
MyFilesapk.tmp
BuddiesNow.odex
BluetoothTestMode.apk
SecurityProvider.odex
Contacts.odex
SetupWizard.apk
DataCreate.odex
Daysapk.tmp
DrmProvider.odex
RilFactoryApp.odex
PhoneErrService.apk
wssyncmldm.apk
YouTube.apk
TouchWizCalendarProvider.apk
MediaHubapk.tmp
FactoryTest.apk
Stk.odex
TATLiveWallpapersBlueSea.apk
MobileVideo.odex
wssyncmlnps.odex
PhoneCrashNotifier.apk
SamsungWidget_FeedAndUpdate.odex
TalkProvider.apk
IcsService.odex
AxT9IME.apk
TwWallpaperChooser.odex
shutdown.odex
serviceModeApp.odex
serviceModeApp.apk
WriteandGo.apk
MediaUploader.apk
signin.odex
CertInstaller.odex
CertInstaller.apk
FactoryTest.odex
SamsungWidget_FeedAndUpdate.tmp
DualClockapk.tmp
GoogleCheckin.apk
EnhancedGoogleSearchProvider.apk
LiveWallpapersPicker.apk
Phone.odex
ClockPackage.odex
MediaProvider.apk
ContactsProvider.odex
Gmail.apk
VideoPlayer.apk
SecurityProvider.apk
PackageInstaller.odex
DualClock.odex
SisoDrmProvider.odex
DialerTabActivity.apk
CameraFirmware.odex
GlobalSearch.apk
LbsTestMode.odex
AccountAndSyncSettings.odex
GoogleSearch.apk
Stk.apk
HTMLViewer.apk
MtpApplication.apk
DrmUA.apk
VpnServices.odex
MobileBanking.tmp
BluetoothServices.apk
WlanTest.apk
BluetoothTestMode.odex
Browser.odex
TouchWizCalculator.odex
MusicPlayer.odex
TtsService.odex
MagicSmokeWallpapers.apk
GooglePartnerSetup.apk
UserDictionaryProvider.odex
DownloadProvider.odex
TATLiveWallpapersBlueSea.odex
WriteandGo.odex
MtpApplication.odex
Divx.apk
UserDictionaryProvider.apk
MobileVideoapk.tmp
wssyncmlnps.apk
CameraFirmware.apk
wssyncmlds.apk
NetworkLocation.apk
Email.odex
SamsungWidget_StockClockapk.tmp
attmaps20-1094.tmp
ATT_Radio_2.1.07.tmp
ATT-P11_PROD.tmp
TtsService.apk
Personalization.apk
shutdown.apk
DialerTabActivity.odex
CSC.apk
IcsService.apk
SecDownloadProvider.apk
Settings.apk
MediaProvider.odex
SoundPlayer.odex
gtalkservice.apk
androidlauncher2.1-61x612010_06_11t15_49.tmp
TouchWiz30Launcher.odex
TouchWizCalendar.apk
SamsungWidget_StockClock.odex
signin.apk
SettingsProvider.odex
SamsungWidget_CalendarClock.odex
VideoPlayer.odex
Dlna.apk
BluetoothOPP.apk
GoogleApps.apk
lcdtest.odex
Phone_Util.apk
GoogleSettingsProvider.apk
DrmProvider.apk
Email.apk
BluetoothServices.odex
MusicPlayer.apk
FlashPlugin.odex
HTMLViewer.odex
MyFiles.odex
TouchWiz30Launcher.apk
TATLiveWallpapersLuminescence.odex
wssyncmldm.odex
Preconfig.odex
Memo.apk
Mms.odex
Settings.odex
CSC.odex
PhoneErrService.odex
InputEventApp.apk
Camera.apk
Memo.odex
WlanTest.odex
ContactsProvider.apk
ApplicationsProvider.apk
Phone_Util.odex
SecDownloadProvider.odex
AccountAndSyncSettings.apk
DataCreate.apk
YPMobile-release_875.tmp
Street.apk
VisualizationWallpapers.odex
Camera.odex
TouchWizCalendarProvider.odex
Gallery3D.odex
Contacts.apk
LiveWallpapers.apk
SettingsProvider.apk
PackageInstaller.apk
FlashPlugin.apk
SisoDrmProvider.apk
wipereceiver.odex
TouchWizCalendar.odex
GoogleContactsSyncAdapter.apk
Bluetooth.odex
wssyncmlds.odex
AxT9IME.odex
GoogleSubscribedFeedsProvider.apk
Swype.apk
TATLiveWallpapersAurora.odex
GlobalSearch.odex
CallSetting.odex
Mms.apk
Days.odex
TATLiveWallpapersAurora.apk
PicoTts.apk
TATLiveWallpapersLuminescence.apk
Dlna.odex
MagicSmokeWallpapers.odex
PicoTts.odex
LiveWallpapersPicker.odex
FlashSVGPlayer.apk
VisualizationWallpapers.apk
Preconfig.apk
Maps.apk
TelephonyProvider.apk
VoiceSearchWithKeyboard.apk
Superuser.apk
ATTNav-Samsung-Vega-1488.tmp
MobiTV_800x480_320_20100610_1.0.0.15-118829.tmp
WHERE_Samsung_GT-I900_Vegas_EN_1.9.3_GM_06112010.tmp

Reactions: noc
If a lot of people are only doing this, so they don't see the at&t crapware in their Apps drawer, you can always install LauncherPro and "hide" them. Other than that, great guide!

I discovered this feature of Launcher Pro after I already removed it but I still consider it worth doing because there are a lot of processes that continuously run in the background, from the moment the phone boots, and they seem to actually have priority in memory over the processes we want to be running.

I was reading somewhere in XDA that you can use something called Odin to revert back to the unrooted stock image with all of the AT&T apps? Is this true? If so, then it should calm the fears of being unable to get the applications back for a return to ATT.

I just did the rename thing.

I also am renaming them back to apk... The Galaxy is nice, but gps not working and att coverage sucking. I am taking it back today. So i am reverting all my settings, renaming things back, unrooting, uninstalling, and returning the phone.

Thank samsung for this. I plated with a droid x today and it was nicer. But hey I would of kept the galaxy if it wasnt for the worst gps ever.

AND yes I tried the fixes.

What about the "Where" app that wants to charge $2.99/month?

Just got my phone, nice site!! Thank you!

edited-oops, it's part of the list. Nice work. by by att apps

Ok so I made a blunder. I deleted my AT&T stock apps after doing what I thought was a backup with Titanium. This was several days ago though and I didn't realize it wasn't actually backing up the apk itself. I am having some issues with the phone and was hoping to restore it back to stock settings. I put my microSD card in with the backup on it and that was when I found out that I hadn't actually done a backup. My question is this, is there any other way for me to get these apk's to put them back on? Could I get a copy of them from someone else who had a captivate and just reinstall them?

Any help would be appreciated as I have been doing searches but nothing is coming up with a solution. The closest I have gotten was someone mentioned Odin and I searched it but am not certain it is the solution by itself. Again, any help would be appreciated because I need to get this phone back to stock in case I have to exchange it or return it (hopefully an exchange will be enough as I like the phone better than the iphone 4).

I have installed Titanium Backup and ran a backup of everything with the System+Data+market and when I look at the list of apps, I have the choice to delete or uninstall. I did an uninstall of AT&T Music and there is no option to restore. What is the difference between delete and uninstall?

So I downloaded Astro File Manager and have the files for some other ones I wanted gone. Having done all the following, everything seems okay. These are by no means definitive, so attempt at your own risk.

AT&T Hotspots
mv /system/app/WISPr_v41.apk /system/app/WISPr_v41.tmp

AT&T FamilyMap
mv /system/app/androidlauncher2.1-61x612010_06_11t15_49.apk /system/app/androidlauncher2.1-61x612010_06_11t15_49.tmp

AT&T Music
mv /system/app/ATT-P11_PROD.apk /system/app/ATT-P11_PROD.tmp

Instant Messaging
mv /system/app/IM-Signed.apk /system/app/IM-Signed.tmp

Where
mv /system/app/WHERE_Samsung_GT-I900_Vegas_EN_1.9.3_GM_06112010.apk /system/app/WHERE_Samsung_GT-I900_Vegas_EN_1.9.3_GM_06112010.tmp

Yellow Pages
mv /system/app/YPMobile-release_875.apk /system/app/YPMobile-release_875.tmp

what is "Where"?

anyone know which file name represents "at&t navigator"?

...and most importantly thank you! I'm using Root Explorer to delete all of this crap now

Thank You!

File name for "daily briefing"?

Edit: I also deleted that stupid startup sound now too

File name:

/system/etc/PowerOn.wav

I have installed Titanium Backup and ran a backup of everything with the System+Data+market and when I look at the list of apps, I have the choice to delete or uninstall. I did an uninstall of AT&T Music and there is no option to restore. What is the difference between delete and uninstall?

Taken from the main Titanium page found here. Notice that it states it backs up the settings only, not the actual system applications themselves.

• #3: What can it back up ?
    • All the applications you have installed, included protected ones,
    • All the data and settings of these applications,
    • Most (or all) of your phone's settings and data.
    • NOTE: It will not backup the system applications from your ROM. Only their settings will be backed up.

i just rooted my samsung captivate and used the Titanium backup way to remove ALL of my ATT apps i got rid of every single one and my phone works faster then before the only apps i left alone were the google feel free to delete all of them if u like =)

I just rooted my GF's Captivate but only 5 app elements are showing up in the back up/restore tab in Titanium. Its definately rooted as I have the super user app now. Any help why this could be?

When the Captivate came out I was so glad to be able to purhase an iPhone equal (or better phone) without having to bow to Apple. I was just as happy to find help rooting it, get side loading and removing the ATT bloatware. Now the problem I have is that my business just gave us Sprint Blackberrys and I don't want to carry two phones, even though I considered keeping the Captivate as a awesome wifi device. I have decided to sell the Captivate instead, but am concerned that selling it as rooted and missing AT&T Bloatware might give it a lower value on ebay.

Bottomline is I didn't do a backup of any kind when I used Titanium to delete the bloatware. I'm hoping someone on here could help me get it unrooted and the bloatware back on so I can sell it as a factory phone.

nvm, didn't see previous few posts that some ppl already had it all :D

thanks a bunch for the list iamfiretruck! I learned this stuff in compsci; never thought I'd ever find it to be useful to me again. Glad I'm using an android phone ;D

Hello,
Can anyone share with me your talk.apk or talk services apk? I removed it using Titanium without realizing that its needed for the Market app to run.

Regards.

Anyone found the path to the allshare apk? That's the alamo of AT&T crap on my phone, renaming the others all worked for me

I am rooted and all my AT&T bloatware gone. I just removed All Share using an app called APK Upload, first I backed it up in Titanium, let me try to restore it. It only backs up data, oh well. If anything goes wrong with it, I will unroot, they will have no clue it was rooted, I will remove all evidence and return it and say I don't know what happenned.

It has a much better battery life although that may have to do with some other fine tuning I've done. I am running http://androidforums.com/all-things...unleash-beast-v0-1-easiest-way-root-more.html and that seemed to speed up the phone and battery life is better, it also removes the boatware. Great bug free custom ROM.

if you root your phone and download Root Explorer for a nominal fee you can access all you files right on the phone and delete what you want to without a pc connection.

Search for 'Odin3 one click restore' if you need to go back to factory settings. It will put all the AT&T crapware back on your phone and make it factory stock again.

Back
Top Bottom