• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Battery Life - The Good The Bad and The Ugly

Does your phone drop 10% quickly in the morning after a full night of charging?

• Yes

Votes: 436 79.3%
  • Nope

Votes: 74 13.5%
  • Not sure

Votes: 40 7.3%

• Total voters
Does being in roaming use more battery than being in Sprint service? I work out of the city where theres no sprint.. so my phone is roaming all day.

I'm not sure about roaming itself, but be sure to turn off 3G when your off the network, because the constant searching for a 3G signal will definitely drain the battery. It's called "Mobile Network" as a widget, or in the Networks settings.

I'm not sure about roaming itself, but be sure to turn off 3G when your off the network, because the constant searching for a 3G signal will definitely drain the battery. It's called "Mobile Network" as a widget, or in the Networks settings.

So if i disable "Mobile Network" (3G ??) what functions will i lose?

There is your issue. Either you are on your phone all the time or it is awake too much.

Neither of those are true, really. I take, on average, less than one call per day. And like I said, my usage of the phone hasn't changed much. So depending on what the definition of 'awake' is, that variable hasn't changed.

With that said ... yesterday around lunch time I charged the phone up, powered it down, pulled the battery, put it back in, and started the phone again. So far it seems to be "back to normal" since then. We'll see how it goes today. I'm assuming some rouge, runaway process was taking a lot of power.

This confuses me because I've completely powered the phone down (without removing the battery) a few times over the past week when getting on flights. I'm not sure what's different about a battery pull vs a power down but it seems to have made a difference.

Something is very wrong... After the update, my phone's been off the charger for 4 hours and my battery is at 50%. What could be causing this??

Wait, so if I'm not going to be using any data (internet/weather/etc), I should turn off my Mobile Network? You said I will still get phone calls and texts? And this will work when I'm Roaming also?

Thanks for the information!

Wait, so if I'm not going to be using any data (internet/weather/etc), I should turn off my Mobile Network? You said I will still get phone calls and texts? And this will work when I'm Roaming also?

Thanks for the information!

That's right. It's one of the battery tips in Slick1020's post, so credit to him! :)

Good thing not everyone cares what you think. Some want answers to the issues they have. If you don't care about their issues just move on. Your input here is a waste of their time.
You've contributed nothing.

Has anyone else been getting better battery life since the Update. I had no complaints before, but my battery is a straight up champion the last couple of days.

Right now I'm at 64% after 21.5 hours with some occasional web browsing, a couple of phone calls and checking a few emails. I've used it this little before, but never gotten anywhere near this good of life.

My last charge went for 29 hours with lots of use. After the Froyo update it seemed a tad worse, but now seems better than ever.

And I run 10 widgets:

Calendar
Email
4g Toggle
Wifi Toggle
People (full)
Music (4x2
Youtube
Pandora

wondering if it's just me. My wife's Epic isn't in the same galaxy of battery life. Even if she doesn't use it, it's done in 8 hours tops.

Hey, I know I'm new but I didn't see any new posts after the Froyo update for HTC Evo.

I just got my phone about 4 days ago and I was looking at my battery usage. in 10 hours I had about 40% cell standby with a time without signal of 41%, which I felt was a little high. I killed my entire battery in about 10 hours with very limited use (no phone calls, light texting, syncing was off for most of the day, no internet browsing)

Previously I had read that there was a weird android issue where it was searching GSM signals instead of CDMA signals and that an app called "Network" would fix this.

After the Froyo update, was this issue fixed? If not, where can i get the app, or is the app under a different name or an easier search term? (searching the marketplace was useless).

I've seen some people say it helped and some says it's all bogus, so you can give it a try and see if it helps. Doesn't hurt anything...

there is no longer a need for that app. I have never needed it on my EVO, though I did need it on my Hero. If you have little to no 3g signal and you keep your mobile data turned on, kiss your battery goodbye. That's the way it has always been.

I have been getting over 23 hours. I did the following:

1. Remove advance task killer. It doesn't work with froyo.

2. In the App drawer, click on "talk" and "sprint zone" uncheck all the notifications and auto sign-in boxes.

3. Unclick autosync in settings.

4. keep wifi on

4. Lower screen brightness. keep at 50% or below.

5. Disable "always on" mobile data. This is one of the biggest battery savers. Go to Settings -> Wireless & networks -> Mobile networks. Tap "Enable always-on mobile data" to uncheck the box.

bump for the noobs.. I did this after the update also. Still getting 1 day and 4 hours easily. :D

5. Disable "always on" mobile data. This is one of the biggest battery savers. Go to Settings -> Wireless & networks -> Mobile networks. Tap "Enable always-on mobile data" to uncheck the box.

What does this option mean?

I've had good batt life compared to my Pre and even my Pre with and aftermarket batt. I'm hoping for at least a full day now that I've setup my EVO using more of the tips in this thread.

After the Froyo update my battery life seemed worse. I got a new battery (a Seidio 1750mAh) but still didn't see much difference. After the recent HTC update, however, my battery life seems much better. I'm still trying to get a better handle on it but I've had days where it wouldn't drop more than 20% all day rather then the 50-60% I was seeing. Battery graph shows a much more shallow rate of drain.

Of course, I've also moved desks at work and I may be in a better cell reception zone and that tends to help.

What does this option mean?

I found this online. I believe it turns off 3g or any internet until you actually power on the phone.

Re: What do I lose if I disable always-on mobile?

I have owned the EVO 4g for 2 weeks now. I unchecked the Always-On mobile data option always wondering what that did. It seems that it didn't do anything but me and a friend tested it out yesterday and figured it out. After 5 minutes when your not using your phone, your phone goes to sleep and turns off 3g all together. Test this by waiting more than 5 minutes and when you press the sleep button on top of your phone you will see that there is no 3G symbol at all and then it immediatly pops up. Depending on what you are using your phone for, you may want this feature on. For example, I have 2 apps so far that I keep running in the background - Fring and TiKL (Touch to Talk) so that my friends can stay in touch with me. These apps are pointless if I have the option above unchecked because they will not be able to contact me. I have checked it back and and everything works fine now.

written by JayDaKissEP

What do I lose if I disable always-on mobile? - Android Forums

also, same explanation on HTC website: http://community.htc.com/na/htc-forums/android/f/94/p/5276/23643.aspx#23643

I found this online. I believe it turns off 3g or any internet until you actually power on the phone.

Re: What do I lose if I disable always-on mobile?

I have owned the EVO 4g for 2 weeks now. I unchecked the Always-On mobile data option always wondering what that did. It seems that it didn't do anything but me and a friend tested it out yesterday and figured it out. After 5 minutes when your not using your phone, your phone goes to sleep and turns off 3g all together. Test this by waiting more than 5 minutes and when you press the sleep button on top of your phone you will see that there is no 3G symbol at all and then it immediatly pops up. Depending on what you are using your phone for, you may want this feature on. For example, I have 2 apps so far that I keep running in the background - Fring and TiKL (Touch to Talk) so that my friends can stay in touch with me. These apps are pointless if I have the option above unchecked because they will not be able to contact me. I have checked it back and and everything works fine now.

written by JayDaKissEP

What do I lose if I disable always-on mobile? - Android Forums

also, same explanation on HTC website: battery life turn off always enable mobile data - HTC EVO? 4G (Sprint) - Android Forums - HTC Community

Thanks very much, that's good to know. Although I wonder if the constant on/off of 3G is worse for the battery than just leaving it on...

At any rate, when you turn off "Mobile Network" altogether, is it correct to say that none of these settings matter, because 3G will just be off completely? I'll be out of town this Saturday and want to turn off 3G to see how well my battery does all day, since I won't have 3G access anyway. But I don't want it to still secretly be running in the background!

Back
Top Bottom