• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Battery Life - The Good The Bad and The Ugly

Does your phone drop 10% quickly in the morning after a full night of charging?

• Yes

Votes: 436 79.3%
  • Nope

Votes: 74 13.5%
  • Not sure

Votes: 40 7.3%

• Total voters
If you say so. I don't have 4G here "officially" yet but I have experienced it and it wasn't all THAT great and my batt dropped pretty fast for just browsing for a short time...

Anyway, I plugged in my phone to charge but forgot to flip the switch on the surge protector. Ended up with 23h with 7% left. This is even more impressive because I thought I killed my battery on this setup... It was working fine and then out of the blue it totally died. I couldn't get my phone to turn on after. Took a long time to charge back up, but eventually it charged to full.

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/17/dscn0718b.jpg

I have 3G always on - unless I'm in a fringe area. No big impact on battery for my particular uses, because I have mail syncing set to a time interval, and don't use push or the Gmail client - that seems to help quite a bit.

I do turn it off from time to time when I know I'm going to be in some long calls. Don't need email interrupts then anyway, and sms still works fine in that configuration.

I just put the Power Control widget (stock Android) next to my main screen, and below it, my 3G radio widget, Airplane Mode, Sync All (to force account updates when I tune back in to the network and a Profile one (silent during meetings).

I thought I was going to be babying my phone when I first did that - turns out - not so much.

I've also found when I leave the office with wifi turned on and I get stuck in traffic near some active wireless nets, it needlessly wastes juice scanning for known networks.

And that 4G widget - buggy - lose it from you desktop, it'll go haywire and eat a battery in an hour. I had that happen without even using it.

I have 3G always on - unless I'm in a fringe area. No big impact on battery for my particular uses, because I have mail syncing set to a time interval, and don't use push or the Gmail client - that seems to help quite a bit.

Can you please explain the "push" term to me? What do you use as an alternative to the Gmail app? I have separate Gmail and work emails, so I need something to replace it if I'm not going to use it. Why does Gmail burn up so much processor?

Can you please explain the "push" term to me? What do you use as an alternative to the Gmail app? I have separate Gmail and work emails, so I need something to replace it if I'm not going to use it. Why does Gmail burn up so much processor?

There are two ways to get your email (phone, PC, doesn't matter):
  • the client (on your phone) polls the server - it stays in a loop of (power-efficient) sleep, wake up, check server for new mail
  • the client has a special means where instead a special communication method is set up so that it allows the server to push email out to the client (on your phone) without the client asking - this is called push email

People like push email because there's no waiting - it's instantaneous.

The mechanism to accomplish it on Gmail isn't clear - some of us believe it's tied to Gtalk being always on, some of us believe it's not tied to Gtalk.

However, I think it's safe to say that the vast majority of us that have tried this get better battery life by not using Gmail and - go in to Gtalk, settings, and turn off auto-login, and then kill Gtalk. I've even gone so far as to remove all data and cache from my Gmail, and killing that, too. (not sure that's helpful, but it didn't seem to hurt anything at all)

Next, go to your regular, HTC Mail client - settings, add account. Put in any known big server and it auto-configures - yourname@gmail.com and password and it's good to go. Same as with lots of the other big services.

Then, go in to each account you've set up, follow your nose through settings - and you can have an individual sig for each account, and an individual polling time for each account - and you adjust it like crazy.

During normal hours, I poll my work email every 10 minutes, my family email every 20 and my buddy mail every 2 or 3 hours.

You lose some of the Gmail client features this way - I haven't kept up so I can't name specifics, but they're always up to something. But - the built-in client is really great and does a great job with copy&paste and message re-sizing, for example.

That said - if you're a regular user of Gtalk and chat a lot on that service - then this advise won't really help you, because that service will always be on for you.

If you don't need instant, right this second email, then this is a great strategy.

Especially when all you have to do to check any of your mail is to use just one app - Mail.

Tap its top bar to get your account menu and go from account to account.

On the new Sense update that we expect is coming for us, too - they're adding an integrated/unified inbox - a smart (kinda like virtual) inbox where all your incoming is available to see in one place, regardless of which account it belongs to - very cool, I use that on my desktop. Once you have that, that's it.

Try removing the 4g toggle widget from any of your screens can help with battery life, see here (number 1) especially if you don't use 4g alot:

xda-developers - View Single Post - Evo Battery Tips and Explanations **Updated 12-4-10**
I think this is why my previously outstanding battery life has gone to complete crap. I now barely get 8hrs with minimal use. I get the re-occurring attempts to connect to WiMax every second... but I can't get rid of it! I have no 4G widget and can't get it to stop!

Help! Does anyone have any ideas for a fix?

I think this is why my previously outstanding battery life has gone to complete crap. I now barely get 8hrs with minimal use. I get the re-occurring attempts to connect to WiMax every second... but I can't get rid of it! I have no 4G widget and can't get it to stop!

Help! Does anyone have any ideas for a fix?

Uh oh.

OK - step one - _try_ the reset under http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-support-troubleshooting/141369-how-fix-froyo.html

At minimum - back your stuff up because I had an instance of that WITH a rogue app at the same time - and hard reset/wipe wouldn't get me there.

In such a case - and only in such a case, because the next moves are rather extreme - you want to overwrite the entire system.

If you're rooted - nandroid restore is your friend.

If you're stock - I _think_ that applying an RUU will work - but - make sure you chat with someone knowledgeable about an RUU - and that's not me.

(It's supposed to be a Windows .exe that just overwrites your phone with a factory-fresh image. Hence - better check.)

Here's the official 3.29.651.5 RUU (sourced from HTC):

*OFFICIAL* RUU_SuperSonic_S_Sprint_WWE_3.29.651.5_Radio_2.15. 00.09.01_NV_1.77_CNV_re - xda-developers

Again - I stress - I know people have solved extreme issues by using an RUU - but as I'm inexperienced in this specifically, check with others.

If that does work, then a straightforward restore using the How-to-fix-Froyo method(s) will have you back to your customized config on a clean system in no time.

Sorry - best I can do, hope this helps some.

Uh oh.
If that does work, then a straightforward restore using the How-to-fix-Froyo method(s) will have you back to your customized config on a clean system in no time.

Sorry - best I can do, hope this helps some.
I got it:D thanks.

I have never used the widget toggle, so I wasn't sure how it happened... then I remembered that quick settings had an update a few weeks back that added 4G to the menu.

So I uninstalled Quicksettings and restored the previous version. Then I opened 4G in the main phone settings... turned it on, then turned it off.
Then I just restarted. alogcat says so far so good!

And that 4G widget - buggy - lose it from you desktop, it'll go haywire and eat a battery in an hour. I had that happen without even using it.
Okay, I have turned the widget to off? Are you saying it's still doing something in the off position?

download aLogcat from the market and see what it says.

Yeap, exactly, RickMG.

It's reported as buggy. So when off, behind your back, it can be switching the radio on/off repeatedly, even multiple times per second.

In my case, I was doing great for months until one day, my battery started going from full charge to zero in an hour flat.

aLogcat shows a real-time printout of your system's activity - and it's free in the Market.

If your 4G's got that sort of trouble, it'll stand out in the log - you see WiMAX on, WiMAX off - just babbling away while you watch.

If you have that - try CriticalCritic's steps first, as they may apply to you.

Does anyone suspect launcehrpro being a drain on the battery? I was going to post a new thread but thought I start here.

My battery life was fine but now I think the launcher is draining it. Going to try Systempanel lite and see what happens.

Does anyone suspect launcehrpro being a drain on the battery? I was going to post a new thread but thought I start here.

My battery life was fine but now I think the launcher is draining it. Going to try Systempanel lite and see what happens.

If your battery drainage was just fine, then you download an app to you phone and your battery drainage goes to crap. I suggest removing the app. If that fixes your problem then stay away from that specific app.

I have gotten over 55 hours of battery life,grant it, a lot of it was standby, but I would say 70-100 emails, 20-30 texts, a few games, few dloads, sprint football, moderate use, thats the best I ever got, obviously it changes dramatically with heavy use, but still, never got that many standby or idle hours ever

I have gotten over 55 hours of battery life,grant it, a lot of it was standby, but I would say 70-100 emails, 20-30 texts, a few games, few dloads, sprint football, moderate use, thats the best I ever got, obviously it changes dramatically with heavy use, but still, never got that many standby or idle hours ever

I don't get that many emails, no games or football, 1.5-3 hours talk time a day and have never gotten over 14 hours battery life.

On another note, since the 3.70 update on Sunday the only other change I made was Autodesk Sketch Book Mobile and now I am getting about 2-3 hours battery life with moderate use!:eek:

Okay, here's an update on what I did (thanks to the tips here). For a week now I've got fabulous battery life again. By fabulous I mean my phone lasts all day and still has 40-50% left over when I plug it back in. Now, I am not a big user, especially of the phone but I check my email quite a lot.

First, I just turned off the 4G widget. I got rid of it at first but I am very anal about things like that and put it back, but I leave it turned off. It's on a side screen and not the main screen. I leave the mobile widget on unless I am using wifi which is rare, and leave the wifi off unless I do want to use it.

Then I turned off the notifications for the wireless network & disabled always on mobile data in roaming settings.

Now something I never did before, I unplug the EVO when I go to bed not in the morning when I leave for work. It's then unplugged at least 14 hours before I might plug it in at work after lunch to top it off before I leave even though it's probably still in the 75%+.

Lastly, I bought System Panel because I wanted the option of monitoring which isn't available in the lite. I opened it often to see what was running and like it said somewhere here or on their website I excluded all the apps that I want to start quickly as well as anything that had HTC in front of it. I found this was great because the old Advanced Task Killer would kill everything and I would get mad as can be when my programs took forever to open (it had the option to exclude but never did it show half the items this shows). Now they open lightning fast. I love the phone more now than I ever did. Thanks to all who helped here, especially EarlyMon.

One last thing, I still think that the 4G should be able to run without causing battery problems. :rolleyes:

First, I just turned off the 4G widget. I got rid of it at first but I am very anal about things like that and put it back, but I leave it turned off. It's on a side screen and not the main screen.

One last thing, I still think that the 4G should be able to run without causing battery problems. :rolleyes:

The defect in that widget wasn't known until recently. You may never see it cause a problem again - or you will.

A big part of the stability update was to change the whole 4G connection scheme under the hood. It's my understanding that they were able to zero in on this defect once the widget defect was reported.

Now - maybe whatever they fixed has changed that widget's problem.

I'm just saying that everyone tracking the 4G issue in this forum tend to be not using the widget and using the new scanning feature.

Glad you're working mondo better now, and advise that maybe you peruse the various 4G threads and then decide if you still want that beast on your desktop.

;)

Cheers and congrats!!!!

Although sadly, this is only available to root users, ms79723 over at xda has spent a lot of time lately modifying Netarchy's kernels (and some AOSP) to charge the EVO's battery properly, and they WORK. No more 10% drop with these kernels. I get 4.177 V off of the charger. In addition, the phone now reports the correct voltage and percentage, even while on the charger. If it drops, you'll be able to see it.

[KERNEL][AOSP&SENSE] - Superior Battery Charging. Update: 12/21/10! - xda-developers

I cannot believe what the latest sprint update has done to my battery on my phone, what use to last a whole day is now half way gone after two hours. (blockbuster disabled)

Although sadly, this is only available to root users, ms79723 over at xda has spent a lot of time lately modifying Netarchy's kernels (and some AOSP) to charge the EVO's battery properly, and they WORK. No more 10% drop with these kernels. I get 4.177 V off of the charger. In addition, the phone now reports the correct voltage and percentage, even while on the charger. If it drops, you'll be able to see it.

[KERNEL][AOSP&SENSE] - Superior Battery Charging. Update: 12/21/10! - xda-developers

I got this earlier this morning and I love it. I use it with that Battery Monitor Widget that he recommends to track the stats and I havent had any issues with it yet.

I cannot believe what the latest sprint update has done to my battery on my phone, what use to last a whole day is now half way gone after two hours. (blockbuster disabled)

Mine too, in less then an hour my battery drained 20% and all I did was send/receive about 8 texts. Watchdog/systempanel doesn't show anything out of the ordinary. I'm so frustrated right now.

My phone just prompted me to upate the software...i'm on the fence as to whether I should or not? I don't want battery issues again.

How many people have seen negative battery issues after the latest update?

Back
Top Bottom