• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Battery Life - The Good The Bad and The Ugly

Does your phone drop 10% quickly in the morning after a full night of charging?

• Yes

Votes: 436 79.3%
  • Nope

Votes: 74 13.5%
  • Not sure

Votes: 40 7.3%

• Total voters
My phone just prompted me to upate the software...i'm on the fence as to whether I should or not? I don't want battery issues again.

How many people have seen negative battery issues after the latest update?

Enough have reported it for it to be considered - not all, but enough.

Until you decide, it's perfectly safe to back out of the update dialog - it'll remind you again in a few days, or you can ask for it under Settings.

Enough have reported it for it to be considered - not all, but enough.

Until you decide, it's perfectly safe to back out of the update dialog - it'll remind you again in a few days, or you can ask for it under Settings.

I had already backed out of the update, so now I'm glad I did.

Do you think there will be a fix anytime soon? I would have thought that the whole continuous 4G search bug would have been remedied by now.

I'd also like to tryout SWYPE and heard it was supposed to be part of this recent software upgrade. I didn't want to deal with the BETA version so was psyched when I read that it was included in the update...now I'm bummed because of these reported battery drain issues.

I had already backed out of the update, so now I'm glad I did.

Do you think there will be a fix anytime soon? I would have thought that the whole continuous 4G search bug would have been remedied by now.

I'd also like to tryout SWYPE and heard it was supposed to be part of this recent software upgrade. I didn't want to deal with the BETA version so was psyched when I read that it was included in the update...now I'm bummed because of these reported battery drain issues.

As with other updates, we don't know if it's really broken.

So far, we have reports of it being broken for some people.

Others are reporting same or better battery life.

This is sounding like yet another configuration / nuisance issue that's killing some users.

I've been recommending that people with this problem try what's usually worked for us before in this situation - http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-support-troubleshooting/141369-how-fix-froyo.html

However, instead of people trying it, to my surprise, I'm getting a host of negative remarks, including not trying it out of a matter of principle.

I've had my phone since launch+2 days and this update has had fewer complaints than any of the previous ones.

But - it's an update, it's not a perfect world - so some people are having issues.

I've been chomping at the bit to give it a go, but between work, modding and WifelyMon tapping me for the holidays...

I've had my EVO since launch day and have always been happy with the battery life. I did this latest software update 3 days ago and now my battery life is absolutely horrible. I am so frustrated right now... I can barely get through a day without charging... I should have never done the update - I wanted to try swype (which i found that i really don't care for). Anyway, I'm running non-rooted EVO, and do not, and never have used the 4g radio. I hope they get a fix for this soon, or else... well, i don't know what i'll do, but i can't live with this battery life like it is now.

I've had my EVO since launch day and have always been happy with the battery life. I did this latest software update 3 days ago and now my battery life is absolutely horrible. I am so frustrated right now... I can barely get through a day without charging... I should have never done the update - I wanted to try swype (which i found that i really don't care for). Anyway, I'm running non-rooted EVO, and do not, and never have used the 4g radio. I hope they get a fix for this soon, or else... well, i don't know what i'll do, but i can't live with this battery life like it is now.

Welcome to the forums - sorry you had to enter like this, but no worries, most of us had first posts like yours.

I'd try these things:

Let us know your outcome.

@Android Mike: I am with you there. Since this OTA update what battery life I had has went down the crapper.

EarlyMod did post some tips you should do and I agree with the first 2. If you haven't done those do them as they should be done anyways. Even though your getting poor battery life those first 2 won't make it any better. As for the 3rd one you can give it a shot if you wish but honestly I tried it and it made no difference for me. If you try it please follow up and let me know how it turned out for you.

Thanks, Mike (My Name As Well)

Mike - that's good info, thanks VERY much.

If we can get confirmation that those steps definitely don't solve things, we can look for other means.

Those steps were a result of group-thinking a round of problems.

I'd like nothing better than to have a new sticky to show how to nail this one down.

Thanks again for the feedback!

(And if you'd posted that before - sorry I missed it - I tend be following stuff site-wide, so I do my best to keep up here, too.)

PS - have you tried my advice about looking for errors in the syslog or using SystemPanel Lite or Spare Parts to see if there's a spot we can zero in on?

SPL is good for tracking processes - but SP is good for tracking battery - both free in the Market.

Mike - that's good info, thanks VERY much.

If we can get confirmation that those steps definitely don't solve things, we can look for other means.

Those steps were a result of group-thinking a round of problems.

I'd like nothing better than to have a new sticky to show how to nail this one down.

Thanks again for the feedback!

(And if you'd posted that before - sorry I missed it - I tend be following stuff site-wide, so I do my best to keep up here, too.)

Hey. No problem. Don't thank me though, thank the post. ;):D:p

Edit: I actually have the full version of SPL but I don't have Spare Parts. I am gonna get that and see if I can do that. I haven't really ever dove into the full potential of the app so I am not fully sure what you mean but when I get time I will check it out.

Also - aLogcat is good for getting syslog, also Android System Info by Electric Sheep for that - but it's a bit of a power-hog because it's doing a lot at once.

@Android Mike: I am with you there. Since this OTA update what battery life I had has went down the crapper.

EarlyMod did post some tips you should do and I agree with the first 2. If you haven't done those do them as they should be done anyways. Even though your getting poor battery life those first 2 won't make it any better. As for the 3rd one you can give it a shot if you wish but honestly I tried it and it made no difference for me. If you try it please follow up and let me know how it turned out for you.

Thanks, Mike (My Name As Well)

Thank for the tips guys.

I did have the 4g Widget, so i went ahead removed it. I'm going to go through the other tips that EarlyMon linked to if removing the 4g widget doesn't help anything tomorrow. Also, i have always had SystemPanel running and i see nothing out of whack there...

This latest update has destroyed my battery life. My battery life was never good, but I used to get by with charging it once a day. Now I basically need it on the charger at all times. The last two nights I went to bed with my phone fully charged and woke up to my phone being DEAD! That is ridiculous since it's not even in use during this time! HTC needs to fix this. I use my phone as an alarm, but it doesn't do any good if it dies in a few hours without use.

I guess I'm one of the few that hasn't been affected by the update. My battery life is the same as has been since I picked up this baby on launch day. I've got to be honest, with the power of this phone I'm really not expecting much over 12 hours of battery life anyway. Especially with the way I use it. I've got a charger at home, in the car, and at work on my desk.

One thing I did a few months back was install the Dazzle configurable switcher widget on my home screen. I turned off the cellular radio one night without plugging the phone into the charger. I went to bed with the battery at 48%. I woke up and it was 47%! It really made me realize how much background data "syncing" was draining these phones.

Don't know how many times we have to repeat this in this dang forum. Unplug the phone when the the LED light turns green and you won't experience that 10% drop. This has been posted for the 100th time! If your phone has been sitting on the charger over night, the battery will drop to a certain level before it will charge again. You CANNOT OVERCHARGE LITHIUM ION BATTERIES THAT'S WHY HTC SET THE PHONE UP THIS WAY.

This works, only 1% drop in one hour!

For anyone having battery drain issues Earlymon's How to fix Froyo reset seems to have worked for me. Unplugged 6 hours, battery at 85%

Edit:Now at 9 hours, 35 minutes unplugged. Battery at 74%. Only a couple of phone calls, but probably 50 texts or so and in my work place the phone switches between wifi and 3g constantly and that is a battery drain switching back and forth.

Although sadly, this is only available to root users, ms79723 over at xda has spent a lot of time lately modifying Netarchy's kernels (and some AOSP) to charge the EVO's battery properly, and they WORK. No more 10% drop with these kernels. I get 4.177 V off of the charger. In addition, the phone now reports the correct voltage and percentage, even while on the charger. If it drops, you'll be able to see it.

[KERNEL][AOSP&SENSE] - Superior Battery Charging. Update: 12/21/10! - xda-developers

I installed the v7 of this kernel and its working great. Usually within 10 mins of unplugging from a full charge I get a 10% drop off with moderate use. After installing this kernel I only dropped off 2% with the same amount of use. So far this is looking good.

Thank for the tips guys.

I did have the 4g Widget, so i went ahead removed it. I'm going to go through the other tips that EarlyMon linked to if removing the 4g widget doesn't help anything tomorrow. Also, i have always had SystemPanel running and i see nothing out of whack there...

No difference with 4g widget off today... Going to go through the Fix Froyo reset tonight and see if that fixes it. I'll post an update with my results in another day or so.

Also - aLogcat is good for getting syslog, also Android System Info by Electric Sheep for that - but it's a bit of a power-hog because it's doing a lot at once.

Ok I installed this aLogcat and then went WHOA! wanna give me a tutorial of the best way to setup the settings because I don't understand how to read it. Stuff if posting so fast I'm like "Yeah, um yeah ok sure" HA!

Although sadly, this is only available to root users, ms79723 over at xda has spent a lot of time lately modifying Netarchy's kernels (and some AOSP) to charge the EVO's battery properly, and they WORK. No more 10% drop with these kernels. I get 4.177 V off of the charger. In addition, the phone now reports the correct voltage and percentage, even while on the charger. If it drops, you'll be able to see it.

[KERNEL][AOSP&SENSE] - Superior Battery Charging. Update: 12/21/10! - xda-developers
I'd like to flash this, but I haven't used any ROMs or Kernels other than the stock one. What else can I expect to change when using this kernel? Am I diving into something that's over my head here? I don't know if there are entry level ROMs and Kernels etc. Thanks for your patience!

I'd like to flash this, but I haven't used any ROMs or Kernels other than the stock one. What else can I expect to change when using this kernel? Am I diving into something that's over my head here? I don't know if there are entry level ROMs and Kernels etc. Thanks for your patience!

I've always used a stock rooted rom. The deal with an add-on kernel is easy:

• make a nandroid backup
  • review netarchy's release notes for the kernel revision in question (he tends to be really clear about which kernel does and doesn't go with which rom)
  • download and flash it and use it
  • try everything important right away
  • if any trouble whatsoever, restore your nandroid backup - it will be as if you've never taken the plunge
I've used his kernels for a while. You get the choice of stable or experimental - not being an edge-cutter (hey - it's my phone!) - I tried experimental once, and was glad of my nandroid.

(No offense to Ryan P, of whom this question was asked - I was just bored at work and thought I use all that as an excuse to wish you all here a great holiday if I don't get the chance later. :) )

Sorry for the stupid question, but what app do I use to make the nandroid backup again? Just getting started on ROMs and Kernels here, so thanks for your patience!

I installed the v7 of this kernel and its working great. Usually within 10 mins of unplugging from a full charge I get a 10% drop off with moderate use. After installing this kernel I only dropped off 2% with the same amount of use. So far this is looking good.

Same here. One time, I was down to ~88% after about 10-12 minutes of awake time. I used Netarchy's kernels anyway, and they helped a lot, but this is way better still. If I just stick it in my pocket after taking it off the charger, it'll stay at 100% for about an hour.

It's amazing the difference 10% makes.

I live and work in a 4G area. Realistically, how many hours of texts, browsing @ 4G speeds, listening to music, watching movies would I get?

Back
Top Bottom