• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best SMS messaging app?

Off topic, but i emailed go launcher bout being able to hide apps in the drawer and within a week the feature was added, so i like that, idk if thousands of ppl wantd that feature, but the dev did it so im pleased, I switched to GOsms, the only feature i couldnt really find that i wantd was to be able to customize each contacts notifications differently with dif led n all, like in handcent, dont really notice any dif in speed between, GO, HCent, and Default, n i havent noticed any major or bad bugs or fc's on GOsms. Soooo......ill stick with it for now to see what they change since Hcent never rlly changed much for past 5 mos

Upvote 0
I personally LOVE iRealSMS and I believe it has the potential to easily trump the other two. That said, it is MUCH too slow in its current state to be very useful so I throw my own mix into it. Here is what I do.
After I download iRealSMS I make it the primary texting application. Then I use SBSettings to hide it. (Keeping default SMS on my dock) Everytime I receive a text message I receive the iRealSMS notification with a chance to quick reply, but if I choose to close it or access my text at any random time I use the default which is much faster.
This works for me because the most important thing about iRealSMS (for me) is the quick reply, not the landscape texting. If I want to forward a message or use one of the other features I can go into iReal and use it, but I don't have to put up with that slug every time.

Reactions: drinkpaint
Upvote 0
I tried a few of the popular ones, such as GoSMS and Chomp ?and the stock, but none of them does the job as good as Handcent.

Handcent is the only one that lets me send pic and sound simutaneously.
Just remember to set the Maximum MMS Size to 1.2 or higher if apply.
&

if you are planning to type more than 160 characters, be sure to use SPLIT 160 option otherwise, you will have a hard time sending your msg.

as for the Popup, Handcent is still the best because the Handcent popup has more features than others.

My opinion: Handcent Its the BEST one out there at the moment even though it still needs improvements.

Upvote 0
I personally LOVE iRealSMS and I believe it has the potential to easily trump the other two. That said, it is MUCH too slow in its current state to be very useful so I throw my own mix into it. Here is what I do.
After I download iRealSMS I make it the primary texting application. Then I use SBSettings to hide it. (Keeping default SMS on my dock) Everytime I receive a text message I receive the iRealSMS notification with a chance to quick reply, but if I choose to close it or access my text at any random time I use the default which is much faster.
This works for me because the most important thing about iRealSMS (for me) is the quick reply, not the landscape texting. If I want to forward a message or use one of the other features I can go into iReal and use it, but I don't have to put up with that slug every time.

That's a REALLY great idea. I HATE how slow Handcent is with its replys and how it freezes my keyboard, but that quick notification idea is GENIUS! Thanks!

Upvote 0
I really like GoSMS, but the popup only keeps the screen awake for 2 seconds. All the other apps with popups keep it on for 30 seconds. Anyone know how to keep screen on longer with the popup from GoSMS?

this is the only reason why i uninstalled GOsms, if they had an option for 30 secs and not the default 2 secs I would go back in an instant

Upvote 0
I used and loved handcent for a week, but then found out it had a glitch.
Whenever I rebooted my phone, it resent an old message that was ALREADY send again.

and that msg happened to be international. Searched online and found that a lot of people had the same problems, so i uninstalled and am now using stock SMS program.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones