• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Boost Mobile] Torrenting is slow and kills phone

Blyss

Android Enthusiast
May 24, 2013
Hey everyone I've been lurking here for a long while and I thought I'd ask you guys a question. I have a rooted warp running ctmod 3.80. It's not used as a"phone"anymore since I move out here in the boonies where there is no boost or Sprint. It is however used as my everything device since my computer died. Http downloads work fine and run at the max speed of my Wi-Fi which is 6mbps. Torrents however are slow and literally kill my phone. Regardless of seeders it hovers around 50Kbytes per sec with the occasional shot up to 400. So I try to leave it on over night but within a couple of hours the phone becomes increasingly more unresponsive and eventually locks. This will happen whether I'm using it or not. Tried different torrent clients with no luck. Currently using aTorrent pro. I have one suspicion but not enough knowledge. Cpu governor is smartassv2 and io is sio. Could the io queue be getting clogged due to all the reads and writes that downloading torrents causes? Also props to all you devs. I had a warp when they first came out and it eventually died. I got this one on eBay for only 40 dollars and I love it as much as the other.

First question would be what torrent client are you using and have you tried other ones...I use adownloader and never experienced anything like that over WiFi but I'm not running ctmod but that shouldn't matter...try a different program and see if it helps...

You can see in my post where I said I had tried different clients and am currently using atorrent pro.

Upvote 0
I use utorrent on the pc when I had one and loved it. But the android client has a way to go.I thought maybe this problem was in my head as everything has been going seemingly swimmingly all day but sure enough just a second ago my phone got unresponsive.this doesn't happen without a torrent going so it has to be that.I'm wondering about my sd card.it's a class 4 16gb. I've got a class 10 32gb on the way from newegg and I wonder if that will change things. Also just fyi my card is always nearly full and I wonder if that has anything to do with it.but when it gets completely full the downloads just stop and my phone continues working and I just delete some stuff and restart the client.

Upvote 0
I use utorrent on the pc when I had one and loved it. But the android client has a way to go.I thought maybe this problem was in my head as everything has been going seemingly swimmingly all day but sure enough just a second ago my phone got unresponsive.this doesn't happen without a torrent going so it has to be that.I'm wondering about my sd card.it's a class 4 16gb. I've got a class 10 32gb on the way from newegg and I wonder if that will change things. Also just fyi my card is always nearly full and I wonder if that has anything to do with it.but when it gets completely full the downloads just stop and my phone continues working and I just delete some stuff and restart the client.

here's a good question... is your torrent client installed to sd or internal?

Upvote 0
Well I got my new class ten sd card and also switched to ttorrent. So far so good.download is still slower than I'd like but it's no longer locking phone. Hopefully things are good but I'm gonna leave it downloading for a good while and see what's up.I'll report back either way. Thanks for trying to help guys!

Upvote 0
Try running the app Speed Test on market, it checks your upload and download speeds. Take a screenie an post it on here. It could also be that you're using torrents where the leechers outweigh the seeders.
Thanks, I'm well aware of how torrents work and I've tried it on many different torrents. I actually have a degree in computer science. It's a hardware oriented degree but still I do know quite a lot. However phones are a different story so I'm sure you devs know a lot more than me lol. Anyway, for instance one had 1300 seeds to 250 leeches. It ran at 700Kbytes per sec on my mom's laptop. 50Kbytes sec on my phone. The tests weren't at the same time obviously.I'm not sure how to post a screen shot using the phandroid app, but my speed test returns 6.5 mbps down and 400kbps up with 34ms ping. My internet is att dsl, I pay for 6 mbps down and .5 mbps up and my speed test backs up those figures. Currently I have 4 torrents running at a combined speed of 60 Kbytes per sec. It's so weird.I really am starting to wonder if it's the Rom. Now I've been running those download for hours with my new card and ttorrent and my phone hasn't become unstable or crashed. So that's good at least.

Upvote 0
Well I was trying other roms out on my phone for fun but eventually went back to ctmod. I had made a nandroid last night before doing that and restored it when I was done. And to close this whole situation out in a strange way - the problem is gone. Phone downloads between 400 and 500 Kbytes per sec now. Same torrents I was so slow on before got done in a few hours in stead of the days it was taking. I can only guess it had to do with clearing the cache and such... oh well at least it works now yay. Thanks all for trying to help!

Reactions: LilBit
Upvote 0
Well I was trying other roms out on my phone for fun but eventually went back to ctmod. I had made a nandroid last night before doing that and restored it when I was done. And to close this whole situation out in a strange way - the problem is gone. Phone downloads between 400 and 500 Kbytes per sec now. Same torrents I was so slow on before got done in a few hours in stead of the days it was taking. I can only guess it had to do with clearing the cache and such... oh well at least it works now yay. Thanks all for trying to help!

I like to clear both cache's about once a week, I consider it maintenance :p
I also like to reboot every other day;) Keeps things running smooth.:)

Remember, these are more of a handheld computer, than they are phone's.:smokingsomb:

Reactions: Blyss
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones