• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Bricked HTC One M8 - Help ASAP =(

Firmware = the lower partitions you don't often pay attention to - the bootloader, the radio stuff, recovery (that we replace with TWRP) and so forth.

A rom consists of a boot image and the operating system contents that go into the /system partition.

Your apps, updates and private data go into the /data partition.

fastboot getvar all

Tells what's needed for full support.

Firmware = the lower partitions you don't often pay attention to - the bootloader, the radio stuff, recovery (that we replace with TWRP) and so forth.

A rom consists of a boot image and the operating system contents that go into the /system partition.

Your apps, updates and private data go into the /data partition.

fastboot getvar all

Tells what's needed for full support.
ohh ok I understand, i never payed attension to that.. maybe here is my mistake :(

ohh ok I understand, i never payed attension to that.. maybe here is my mistake :(
No worries.

Bricks don't happen often and when they do, one of us can almost always help you sort things out.

What information is required depends on the symptoms.

I've been doing this for years, impossible to learn it all overnight. ;)

No worries.

Bricks don't happen often and when they do, one of us can almost always help you sort things out.

What information is required depends on the symptoms.

I've been doing this for years, impossible to learn it all overnight. ;)
I understand, from what i've posted from getvar, how were the stuf? is my phone still repearable?[sorry for the bad spelling and the rest... i am from a non english speaking country.. still learning..]

I understand, from what i've posted from getvar, how were the stuf? is my phone still repearable?[sorry for the bad spelling and the rest... i am from a non english speaking country.. still learning..]
No worries about spelling or perfect English around here or we would all be in trouble. :D

Your getvar output tells me that you have the latest firmware so we have a lot of installation and repair options.

Most importantly, it tells me that your storage partitions are fine, so yes, this is all fixable.

Two questions -

1. Does it say UNLOCKED at the top of the bootloader screen?

2. In command window (where you run fastboot) -

md5sums twrp-2.8.6.1-m8.img

Does it say -

4029984c3b70876612f9ef590c1fc10f

(You can ignore other information from md5sums command.)

No worries about spelling or perfect English around here or we would all be in trouble. :D

Your getvar output tells me that you have the latest firmware so we have a lot of installation and repair options.

Most importantly, it tells me that your storage partitions are fine, so yes, this is all fixable.

Two questions -

2. In command window -

Does it say -

to the first question it says RELOCKED because i was trying to unbrick it last night and they were saying i should lock it... and i tryed to unlock it back but i didn't find out how.. and to the second one where should i be looking for the md5sums?

Two questions -

2. In command window (where you run fastboot) -

Does it say -

i put that md5sums twrp in cmd and this showed up, does it help
C:\Program Files\sdk-tools>md5sums 2.8.6.1-m8.img

MD5sums 1.2 freeware for Win9x/ME/NT/2000/XP+
Copyright (C) 2001-2005 Jem Berkes - http://www.pc-tools.net/
Type md5sums -h for help

[Path] / filename MD5 sum
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Error: Unable to read file/directory 2.8.6.1-m8.img

to the first question it says RELOCKED because i was trying to unbrick it last night and they were saying i should lock it... and i tryed to unlock it back but i didn't find out how.. and to the second one where should i be looking for the md5sums?
To the second one, from inside the sdk-tools folder, just like the screen shot you showed me at first.

I believe that you have our sdk-tools yes?

http://androidforums.com/threads/adb-guide-updated-2014-11-11.443072/#post-5389081

We include md5sums program.

So if you still have the TWRP file there you can try the command. The long value will confirm a good download if it matches the one I showed.

But anyway, the -

fastboot flash recovery twrp-2.8.6.1-m8.img

Failed because it is RELOCKED.

You should have the Unlock_code.bin file in sdk-tools folder.

Say in command window -

fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin

That will unlock the bootloader.

Then you can -

To the second one, from inside the sdk-tools folder, just like the screen shot you showed me at first.

I believe that you have our sdk-tools yes?

http://androidforums.com/threads/adb-guide-updated-2014-11-11.443072/#post-5389081

We include md5sums program.

So if you still have the TWRP file there you can try the command. The long value will confirm a good download if it matches the one I showed.

But anyway, the -

Failed because it is RELOCKED.

You should have the Unlock_code.bin file in sdk-tools folder.

Say in command window -

fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin

That will unlock the bootloader.

Then you can -

yes i have those sdk files, from your instrucions and i am trying now the unlock code, what comand should i use to get that long number? ( i am not used to cmd comands :( )

yes i have those sdk files, from your instrucions and i am trying now the unlock code, what comand should i use to get that long number? ( i am not used to cmd comands :( )
i unlocked the bootloader and it took me straight to the recovery ( which i couldn't use till now) and it sayd something about overwrighting fail, and now it booted my phone up and now shows htc one tm

i unlocked the bootloader and it took me straight to the recovery ( which i couldn't use till now) and it sayd something about overwrighting fail, and now it booted my phone up and now shows htc one tm
and now it is upgrading my apps, but i know that after it does that it will say dot view fail and ui fail like last night, what next?

wait wait wait wait, my phone booted up i was able to introduce my sim pin and everything looks good :O what happend here?? i am trying now to set it up to see if everything is ok.. Hope it is

4029984c3b70876612f9ef590c1fc10f this is the long number
Perfect.
Good.
and now it is upgrading my apps, but i know that after it does that it will say dot view fail and ui fail like last night, what next?
With the new TWRP installed, that might not happen.

Or it might.

Let's see.

If it happens, we can fix it.

well whiel installing my apps, google play store stoped 2 times, is it a problem? i mean in the past i did not have this problem
So, in your main settings, Apps, All -

Go to these apps, tap each one, clear cache and data -

Google Play Services
Google Play Store
Google Services Framework

So, in your main settings, Apps, All -

Go to these apps, tap each one, clear cache and data -

Google Play Services
Google Play Store
Google Services Framework
ok i did that. all good.. another problem.. it says i have only 364 mb of mb memory left.. and i am preatty sure that i don't have that many apps, and i keep most of stuff on sd card
edit
*problem solved*

Last edited:
My AT&T HTC One M8 is also bricked. I cannot get the bootloader to unlock, even though I have used "fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin" several times today. I see the screen asking me to confirm that I want to unlock or not, and I select Yes, but it does not work. It reboots to the HTC screen, then the AT&T logo comes up for a little while. I end up at a "Decrypt storage" screen, with options to enter a password to decrypt storage or make an emergency call. I have tried entering my 4 digit PIN as well as a password I often use. The response is (either way) that the password is correct but the data is corrupt. I can also hit a button to "Reset phone" but that just brings me back to this again. Here is my phone info:

C:\Users\Rich\AppData\Local\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>fastboot getvar all
(bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 3.19.0.0000
(bootloader) version-baseband: 4.0.U605611@50319A
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main: 4.28.502.1
(bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-ON
(bootloader) serialno: {removed for privacy}
(bootloader) imei: {removed for privacy}
(bootloader) imei2: Not Support
(bootloader) meid: 00000000000000
(bootloader) product: m8_ul_ca
(bootloader) platform: hTCBmsm8974
(bootloader) modelid: 0P6B12000
(bootloader) cidnum: CWS__001
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 0mV
(bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
(bootloader) security: on
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: 7f8e91a3
(bootloader) hbootpreupdate: 11
(bootloader) gencheckpt: 0
all: Done!
finished. total time: 0.031s

I have scoured the web sites for 8 hours or so getting nowhere. The only thing I can reliably do is get info fastboot usb mode. I even tried downloading this Sunshine apk but can't load it. If anyone could help I would be most grateful. Every video I've seen shows bootloader unlocking and ROM loading with a working system, so I am worried that I am out of luck. This state of my phone happened overnight while charging. It was fine before bed and in the "Decrypt storage" state after waking up.

Begin by removing your sim and sd cards, then force a power reset by holding volume up and power until the phone resets. That won't lose any data and will clear out everything simple.

Failing that -

If you're still bootloader locked with the original recovery, you can try factory reset from the hboot menu - not from recovery.

If necessary and possible, that will repair the storage layout.

If that doesn't work, go to recovery from HBOOT and factory data reset there.

After that not working, it's probably best to go directly to a reinstall of entire phone via the RUU -

http://www.htc.com/us/support/htc-one-m8-att/news/

Get a 50% charge, start from FASTBOOT USB mode.

You're going to lose everything on the phone - but by this point it's more about saving the phone itself.

Begin by removing your sim and sd cards, then force a power reset by holding volume up and power until the phone resets. That won't lose any data and will clear out everything simple.

Failing that -

If you're still bootloader locked with the original recovery, you can try factory reset from the hboot menu - not from recovery.

If necessary and possible, that will repair the storage layout.

If that doesn't work, go to recovery from HBOOT and factory data reset there.

After that not working, it's probably best to go directly to a reinstall of entire phone via the RUU -

http://www.htc.com/us/support/htc-one-m8-att/news/

Get a 50% charge, start from FASTBOOT USB mode.

You're going to lose everything on the phone - but by this point it's more about saving the phone itself.

Thank you for the advice EarlyMon. Unfortunately, resetting the phone with the buttons and using HBOOT Factory Data Reset didn't appear to change anything. The phone still boots back to the Decrypt Storage screen.

I have been playing with the RUU files for the past couple of hours (2 versions, one older and one the same version as what the utility claims I have now - which was the one you suggested). What I notice is that it recognizes the phone and I get to the "Update the current ROM version" message. When I click through the update dialogs, I get to the screen that says "Waiting for Bootloader" followed by the trail of dots that indicate progress (I think). Then I end up with a ERROR[171]: USB CONNECTION ERROR, which seems odd since it had already read information from my phone. I'm close to giving up. I will try the RUU method on another laptop to see what happens. The laptop I am using seems to work fine but is running Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview, so I'd like to try something that is actually on the market.

On some earlier attempts with the RUU it seemed to begin to run the first couple of what I thought were 6 steps in total (things like "writing signature" but they went by fast). I didn't see that on this last occasion but may have missed it.

Back
Top Bottom