• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Case that fits Motorola car dock?

My advantage is that the case works in the dock, and is easy to open if you already own another dock, there are about 10-15 advantages my case has. Another competitive advantage in that I own this phone, they all own iphones!. Im sure most people agree that a case/car dock combo at 20 if its of great quality is a deal. Im trying to break into this very competitive maarket. This case has to be the best solution for the most people, that's what im all about.
Best of luck to you my friend! :)

It took me much longer than expected to post this, but here is my car dock modification.

Here is the case taken apart. You can see my tools (plus a heat gun).

Here is a shot along the front edge of the front half of the case.

I started up the heat gun on low and worked the bottom lip of the dock. I wish I'd have used popsicle sticks as herbivore suggested. I used a the sharp end of a 1" wide chisel. Then I used a Dremel to grind off the extra "bumps" on each side of the plastic. You can also see how it gets shiny.

Then I reassembled the two halves of the dock.

After that, it was a few coats of Rust-Oleum Hammered black on the front side. Be sure to mask the charging plug.

While I was at it, I decided to hardwire a power supply for the dock. I tapped into the power for the lighter, then soldered the wires to a car charger and wrapped it in electrical tape. For safe measure, I put a 2A fuse inline with the charger.

Then a couple finished shots with phone in the dock showing the charger and AUX IN wires from the dash.

and

As you can see, the bottom right corner ended up wrinkling quite a bit. That's the only thing I'd try to change if I was to try it again. Good luck in your attempts.

tbh your final product looks pretty grim, weegie :[

DroidXCase, aren't you creating some bulky case that "acts as its own car dock" and is bulky enough to hold an id card and extra sd card? Yeah, I think people here want a slim design that works in the current car dock.

dont melt them, what i did was take the grinding disc with a dremel and from behind grind the two borders forward to make them thin, keep thinning them until your phone fits snugly and goes low enough to fit in the charger. took me about 10 min to do grind, fit, grind, fit, grind, done..

For the record, I have the SEIDEO MTDX Case (the thin one) and I was looking for a solution to the car dock issue when I stumbled on this forum...

I did exactly this.. I pulled the insert out of the Car Dock ... Took the heat gun and heated up the lower portion of the Car Dock.. Inserted my phone with the case on it, and it molded itself right into the dock! Had to do it 2 times with it to get a really good fit.

This method WORKED LIKE A CHARM!! Excellent idea. Looks stock, fits snug. Even with the insert back installed into the Car Dock you cannot tell. Took all of 10 mins. ;)

So there ya have it folks. Get the SEIDEO Case and apply a little heat. wala! :D

FH
You wouldn't have pics of how it turned out would you? Also the case you used. I think I know which case it is... I like the look.
Thanks!

ok yeah someone did some work on their car dock. i kinda did it the easy way i guess. i just dremeled off the front lip instead of using a heat gun. it doesnt take very long but take your time and it will come out fine. took me about 2 minutes plus there was no painting or any other mods to do and now i can fit any case i want in my car dock. this is an older thread but if someone is still interested ill post some pics

Wow, that would take a lot of work IMO. I just got the Universal Dock that fits ANY phone. For starters, it will fit my DX no matter what case I happen to throw on it. Secondly, it will fit the next phone I get, and the phone after it and so on and so forth, so I don't have to purchase a phone, and a desk dock, and a car dock every single time I upgrade to a different phone. And third, it cost's MUCH less than the Motorola dock. The one I got was $9 bucks shipped. I've seen them as low as $3 bucks, and as high as $20 bucks (these are all on Amazon).

Why so many people are determined to cram their phone into the Motorola dock with a case on it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. But oh well, to each his/her own.

Why so many people are determined to cram their phone into the Motorola dock with a case on it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. But oh well, to each his/her own.

Easy charging, you don't have to plug the cord in every time. Also it goes into car mode automatically. It holds it in the right position for viewing the navigation, most universal holders hold if vertically. It's very convenient.

ok yeah someone did some work on their car dock. i kinda did it the easy way i guess. i just dremeled off the front lip instead of using a heat gun. it doesnt take very long but take your time and it will come out fine. took me about 2 minutes plus there was no painting or any other mods to do and now i can fit any case i want in my car dock. this is an older thread but if someone is still interested ill post some pics

yeah, sure... post up the pics. thanks

No modification and here are some pictures
100_0137.jpg

100_0138.jpg

thanks for share the pics
smile.gif

Yeah I am the one that did it with heat. The problem with dremeling the lip is that it is not enough with a thicker case like I have. I well try to get some pics together later his weekend. My description of the process is earlier in this thread.

Back
Top Bottom