• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [CDMA] 1.58 htc-dev unlock

Hockey16

For whatever reason, when I try to unlock my buddies phone on 1.58 hboot with htc-dev, it wont work. I have the unlock token and I try fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_token.bin but it wont work for whatever reason.

Any help is appreciated.

He has 2.89 firmware if that makes a difference.

For whatever reason, when I try to unlock my buddies phone on 1.58 hboot with htc-dev, it wont work. I have the unlock token and I try fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_token.bin but it wont work for whatever reason.

Any help is appreciated.

He has 2.89 firmware if that makes a difference.

Is this a repaired or refurbished device? I can't remember how to explain this in great detail, from what I understand, in some cases with the refurbished devices, they have mis-matched hardware and sometimes become unrootable. I will see if I can get Scotty here to go into more detail on that.

This being said, try running the RUU, and then try rooting again. I have seen this work for two different devices that the bootloader would not unlock for. It could be that if the phone is refurbished, it was sent in from someone trying to root it and still has something on there that is messing with your root attempt.

Is this a repaired or refurbished device? I can't remember how to explain this in great detail, from what I understand, in some cases with the refurbished devices, they have mis-matched hardware and sometimes become unrootable. I will see if I can get Scotty here to go into more detail on that.

This being said, try running the RUU, and then try rooting again. I have seen this work for two different devices that the bootloader would not unlock for. It could be that if the phone is refurbished, it was sent in from someone trying to root it and still has something on there that is messing with your root attempt.

I asked him if it was fixed anywhere and he said no. The RUU wont work on it I kept getting either error 150 or 140 (I think those were the numbers)

OK, was it purchased brand new, was it a replacement, did he buy it directly from Sprint brand new in a box, or did he buy 2nd party. If I recall 140 means your running the wrong RUU, not sure but I think I recall seeing that before.

I asked him if it was fixed anywhere and he said no. The RUU wont work on it I kept getting either error 150 or 140 (I think those were the numbers)

Hey guys, it's my phone we're trying to root here.

The phone was purchased brand new, and I upgraded my account to it. When I opened the phone though I noticed there were some calls on it before I had made any which leads me to believe that it was used, but I don't think anything was messed around with. What should I do to check? The calls were only a week old, so the phone hadn't been in somebody else's hand for a long time.

Ok. Just to be clear, this is a sprint evo 3d right? Not a virgin mobile evo v.

Same phone but obviously slight differences. If it's an Evo V the sprint ruu will not work. And also if it took the update, it will be impossible to run the evo v ruu unless rooted first. But can't root possibly without running the Ruu...

If it's a sprint phone, it's hard to believe it's a brand new phone as they have been discontinued for a while now. That's not to say they didn't sell it to you brand new after factory refurbishing it. If it's a sprint 3vo then the error is most likely from running an incorrect ruu.

Can you please do a battery pull and boot into the bootloader by holding volume down + power buttons? Type out the first block of text at the top. Also, please link to the ruu that you tried running. This will help give us more information on the situation!

We most like can get you there. Let's just hope you aren't one of the rare really unlucky people with mismatched hardware...

Ok. Just to be clear, this is a sprint evo 3d right? Not a virgin mobile evo v.

Same phone but obviously slight differences. If it's an Evo V the sprint ruu will not work. And also if it took the update, it will be impossible to run the evo v ruu unless rooted first. But can't root possibly without running the Ruu...

If it's a sprint phone, it's hard to believe it's a brand new phone as they have been discontinued for a while now. That's not to say they didn't sell it to you brand new after factory refurbishing it. If it's a sprint 3vo then the error is most likely from running an incorrect ruu.

Can you please do a battery pull and boot into the bootloader by holding volume down + power buttons? Type out the first block of text at the top. Also, please link to the ruu that you tried running. This will help give us more information on the situation!

We most like can get you there. Let's just hope you aren't one of the rare really unlucky people with mismatched hardware...

Just to throw my 2 cents in here, the nearest sprint store here still sell the 3vo; $99 on a 2 year contract :what::p

DS

Yes, it's a Sprint Evo 3D. White one actually if that makes a difference, had to have it lol

First block of text:

SHOOTER XC SHIP S-ON RL
HBOOT - 1.58.0000
eMMC-boot
May 17 2012, 15:06:44

I'll have to get back to you on the RUU version because it's on my home computer. If Hockey15 could post which we used yesterday (on his computer), that'd be the one I have.

Just to throw my 2 cents in here, the nearest sprint store here still sell the 3vo; $99 on a 2 year contract :what::p

DS

I've seen some BB stores still have them as well, during the holidays, so they're probably just winding down stock. (My 1/2 cent)

Like I said, I would be surprised if they were "brand new" but that's not to say they don't exist. It's just they stopped making them quite awhile ago, so I assumed any still being sold were returns, etc. that had been Sprint Certified factory refurbished devices that are reboxed and sold on the shelves. :p They could very well be brand new, never used, but according to the op, it does seem to have some use.

The issue I have is you said a white one, they did not carry a white for Sprint, that I am aware off, so Brian might be right where you have a miss match hardware and might be the reason for you issue. I will ask Scotty to come and check this thread out. They did a white version but I believe it was the international version, anyways lets see what Scotty says.

Edit: looks like they came out with a white in September, Radio Shack and Sprint.

So you really like the HTC EVO 3D, but you just can’t stand the thought of owning yet another bland black phone? We may have some good news for you! RadioShack, Sprint, and HTC have teamed up to bring you a white HTC EVO 3D on September 9th. We’re assuming that the white HTC EVO 3D specs have not changed and that RadioShack will be offering the phone at the same $199 price point with a new two-year agreement.

The news of the white EVO 3D follows the release of last weekend’s white HTC DROID Incredible 2 at Best Buy. Last year’s white EVO 4G was a huge success, so we won’t be surprised if this new EVO 3D is in short supply for the first few weeks after its debut.

How many of you wish you had a white HTC EVO 3D? If manufacturers offered more color options for their phones, which color would you choose?

Not much to add ATM,except the exact error message that you're getting when you tried to flash the unlock code would be helpful.

Also the results of a fastboot getvar all,and the exact ruu that you tried to run.

There was no unlock error. In the command prompt it would come up that it was successful, but on the phone it didn't ask to confirm bootloader unlock. Can someone link to the correct RUU version, that might have been the problem.

Kept getting error 170 now.. won't connect through USB to pull the Android information. I'm tired as hell so I'll have to research this tomorrow at work, unless any one knows a fix for it?

Kept getting error 170 now.. won't connect through USB to pull the Android information. I'm tired as hell so I'll have to research this tomorrow at work, unless any one knows a fix for it?

Try from fastboot as a last option tonight. Simplest way to explain is to battery pull, hold volume down + power to get to bootloader, use volume up or down key to navigate to fastboot, and then hit power button to select fastboot. Connect to pc and you should see fastboot usb in red letters on the phone. If not you have a problem with the drivers or usb cable. If so, try the ruu. If it doesn't work, get some sleep and we'll start with a fresh mind tomorrow.

sounds to me like youve either got something running on the PC that is interfering with the phone comunication,or you have a bad usb cable. ive learned the hard way that not all cables are created equal- bought a used phone a guy thot was broken because he could not tranfer roms to it. turned out the cable was the prollem,and it would actually cause windows explorer to crash if you tried to use it for data transfer. i didnt see it at first,as it charged the phone just fine.

we maybe need to go back to some basics,and check the PC for obvious phone interfearance programs and the the following:
troubleshooting connectivity issues:
-try a reboot of the PC
-try different usb cables and ports
-dont use a usb hub
-dont use usb 3.0
-make sure nothing capable of comunicating with the phone is enabled and running. htc sync,pdanet,easy tether,and even itunes have all been known to cause issues.

failing the above,
-i use these drivers for fastboot and adb(donwload and run as admin): http://downloads.unrevoked.com/HTCDriver3.0.0.007.exe

failing that,try manually updating the drivers in the following manner:
-put the phone in fastboot mode(select fastboot from the hboot menu)
-open device manager on the PC
-plug in phone,watch for it to pop up in device manager.
-update drivers with device manager,pointing the wizard to the extracted
driver download folder from above

note that you can check the connectivity of the phone,and make sure drivers are working by in the following manner:
-open cmd window. change to directory containing adb/fastboot utilities
-adb with the phone in the booted OS,usb debug enabled,enter:
adb devices in a cmd window

-fastboot with phone in fastboot,enter:
fastboot devices in cmd window

in either case,a properly connected phone with working drivers installed should report back the phones serial number.

still no luck after that,you might try the process again on a "virgin" laptop or desktop,that has never had any phone stuff installed on it.

if you still cant get the unlock_code to flash even with the above,and on a different PC,then you can extract rom.zip in the following manner,and flash it in hboot from your sdcard by renaming it PG86IMG:
the .exe utilities can be finicky,so if you have trouble getting it to run, you can extract "rom.zip" in the following manner:
-start the utility
-check the "i understand" box to move on to the next screen
-hide the utility temporarily out of site
-search your C drive for "rom.zip". you will find it in a temporary location(it will be in a different spot each time you run the utility)
-open the folder location,and transfer rom.zip to a safe location on your PC.
-unhide and cancel the utility,youre done with it.
-rom.zip can be renamed to PxxxIMG and flashed in hboot,from a FAT32 sd card

flashing from the sd card will leave PC/usb connections out of the equation,but will rely on:
1)sd card formatted FAT32
2)proper name(phone must see "PG86IMG.zip" so using windows,its usually correct to name "PG86IMG" as windows automatically adds and hides the file extention)

hmm interesting.. I shall be doing that hopefully tonight or tomorrow night (Might do something else since my new cpu cooler came in :D)

Unfortunately the computer I'm working on at work doesn't have USB's that transfer data so I can't do anything right now :(

Sorry for the lack of updates, went bowling yesterday and put on my new CPU cooler, and put white LEDs in place of blue LEDs on one of my fans in my case. I'll post pictures to make up for my delay lol

Well currently, the phone is updating to that ROM that you posted Brian, I'm using an old HP laptop I have Windows 7 on. My desktop has Windows 8 on it and maybe that's why it wasn't working? Anyways, it's working now, I'll update when it's done. What's my next course of action now? Repeat the unlock.bin + CMD prompt?

Here's my sweet fan with white LED's now :D
0e6eb937-3f22-4b9e-a926-b230749ee2ba

And my huge CPU cooler:
d652cf1e-8f21-4f9b-b0e7-c048cc49c0cf

Barely any room in there anymore lol I want another 120 fan on there as well lol
e61ca892-7fcc-4bcd-bd4a-6e29e563a7d4

Anyways, it updated to the new RUU and I tried again to unlock it and it did!! So now I have my bootloader unlocked, still 1.58 though idk if that's right or wrong or doesn't matter. But now I'm trying to follow this guide on XDA:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1813818

and am stuck on the 4EXT part.. I have no idea how to get that work, guess I'm confused on if he has it in boot loader or if I have to do something extra?..

Anyways, it updated to the new RUU and I tried again to unlock it and it did!! So now I have my bootloader unlocked, still 1.58 though idk if that's right or wrong or doesn't matter. But now I'm trying to follow this guide on XDA:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1813818

and am stuck on the 4EXT part.. I have no idea how to get that work, guess I'm confused on if he has it in boot loader or if I have to do something extra?..
awsome! glad the unlock is working now. widows could likley have been the issue,ive read mixed experiences with it- for every person whose not had prollems,theres someone who has.

as far as ext recovery,just follow the directions. :) you are starting step 2 with phone in booted OS,usb debug on,"fastboot" turned off(settings/power). adb reboot bootloader ill reboot your phone fromthe OS into fastboot,where you flash the recovery image with the next comand. his next command,ill tell you now,will NOT work unless youve booted from fastboot back into the OS.

"adb xxx" commands are for use in the booted OS,or in the absence of a bootable device,in a custom recovery.

"fastboot xxx" commands are used with the phone in fastboot.

i do have a guide here for htcdev unlock,wich may or may not be helpful:
http://androidforums.com/cdma-evo-3...-how-unlock-install-recovery-root-htcdev.html

note that my guide uses the lartest superSU,rather than superuser 3.1.3,but thats a personal preference,you can use either one. :)

if youre intending to s off,my best advice is do NOT use your good sd card,theres a chance it could be unrecoverably wiped,and a chance that it could be unrecoverably damaged beyond even using. i always use a small spare 2gb thats no biggie to lose in the process.

the unlimited team is very adiment about following their directions exactly,so make sure youve paid close attention and dont vary- if you need help from their IRC youll not be treated nicely if youve not followed exactly. they also prefer that we not give to much information,as far as "how to"s and guides on forums,as that info can become out of date as they update their tools.

in addition to the main directions,and evo 3d specifics,make sure youve looked at the troubleshooting steps(and have them open during the process in case you need them) wich are found here: Unlimited.IO

just holler if you have more questions :)

Okay sorry for the delay in updates.

I was able to get 4xt Recovery on the phone once USB Debugging was enabled. I installed SuperUser via zip folder on SD card using Recovery, the one that was detailed in the XDA Guide, and then rebooted.

Found SuperUser in my program list so thought I was good to go to the next step. I go to update the Binaries as it details in the steps and the it fails at gaining root access. I do a couple of things to try and fix it but nothing doing. I download a root checker and come to find out it says I'm not rooted.. now I'm confused because I followed everything and came upon this stop?? I tried to remove SuperUser but couldn't because it's part of the system now.. soooo I don't know what to do next :(

I used Superuser-3.1.3-arm-signed.zip.. How can I remove it so that I may try out SuperSU? I'm gonna play with it tonight some more.

What you could do, pick up SuperSU from the play store (free of course :)), using titanium backup or any app that can uninstall system apps, using that to delete superuser

DS

Back
Top Bottom