• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [CDMA] calling someone with adb experience,and an unlocked hboot

Still downloads as all the same name under IE also, and I just learned something new, I did not know we could take a screen shot while in recovery, thanks for that ;)

Also did you check the query first to see if you were locked or unlocked ??

Works like a charm! Scotty, you are a freaking genius! :D Literally takes seconds to switch between locked and unlocked! Amazing!

Locked:Unlocked:

Still downloads as all the same name under IE also, and I just learned something new, I did not know we could take a screen shot while in recovery, thanks for that ;)

Also did you check the query first to see if you were locked or unlocked ??

Yep, press the search key to take a screen shot in recovery!

Also, the screenshots I took are from the query! If you read the top line you can see i ran query_bootloader.zip then it shows the status LOCKED or UNLOCKED!

Thanks for the screen shot tip I never knew that :confused:

OK what other questions can we ask here for the Newbs, umm oh yes, why would one want Locked or Unlocked ?? If you think of questions put them in here, so we can refer back here.

Scott, quick question, is this applicable to all hboots including the Jbear 1.57.57 on Virgin? Sweet find sir.

OK what other questions can we ask here for the Newbs, umm oh yes, why would one want Locked or Unlocked ?? .

I'd say there are two major reasons. The primary reason is for s-on users. S-on users cannot run the ruu without having a locked (or re-locked) bootloader. This makes it so easy for them to re-lock by simply flashing a file in recovery like they are familiar with. It saves you from having to use fastboot commands through command prompt!

The other reason would be for "warranty" purposes. If you were to return to stock and run the fastboot command fastboot oem lock it would brand your bootloader as "RELOCKED", thus letting someone know that you unlocked it. By flashing this file, it will return you to "Locked" status.

Although Sprint will not deny you service or replacement for a rooted device, so in that sense it's a little moot. That, and I don't think any 3vo's are still under warranty anymore.

I don't know how strict Virgin Mobile is about rooted phones and the Evo V is still new, so this may be handy for Evo V users still under warranty that need their device serviced. That being said, I would wait for Scotty to confirm whether or not this works on the Evo V as is or if the updater-script has to be modified for the Evo V!

Scott, quick question, is this applicable to all hboots including the Jbear 1.57.57 on Virgin? Sweet find sir.

To quote Scotty:
anyone thats s off and running a STOCK hboot is welcome to try it :) the patched revolutionary and jpbear hboots ignore the lock flag,constantly displaying their respective banners. flashing the zips with these hboots should not hurt anything,but the banner wont change until you flash back to a stock hboot.

I just got a quick sec and tested it out here at work, worked like a charm

As I already knew I was Locked, and did the query and it showed i was lucked, then flashed the Unlock Query and then it showed Unlocked in Recovery, but it did not show it in Bootloader, still showed Revolutionary

OK, here are 3 pics, I renamed on bad to show you what happens.

Attachments

• screenshot_2012-12-12.12.23.54.jpg
    screenshot_2012-12-12.12.23.54.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 60
  • screenshot_2012-12-12.12.24.31.jpg
    screenshot_2012-12-12.12.24.31.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 55
  • screenshot_2012-12-12.12.42.06.jpg
    screenshot_2012-12-12.12.42.06.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 54
It also does not change the name in Bootloader correct, because when i did unlock the Bootloader it still showed Revolutionary in Bootloader screen

awsome! glad it works guys. it wont work for s-on,however. more of a reply later :)

It also does not change the name in Bootloader correct, because when i did unlock the Bootloader it still showed Revolutionary in Bootloader screen

It's because you are on a custom hboot! If you are on stock it will change the name.

To quote Scotty:
anyone thats s off and running a STOCK hboot is welcome to try it :) the patched revolutionary and jpbear hboots ignore the lock flag,constantly displaying their respective banners. flashing the zips with these hboots should not hurt anything,but the banner wont change until you flash back to a stock hboot.

I know lol posting questions as a newd so all questions will be asked and answered ;)

It's because you are on a custom hboot! If you are on stock it will change the name.

To quote Scotty:

Then we will make a check list response so we can C&P

I will think of more, just need to clear my head and keep busy right now. ;)

Works like a charm! Scotty, you are a freaking genius! :D Literally takes seconds to switch between locked and unlocked! Amazing!

Locked:
attachment.php
Unlocked:
attachment.php

lol,no,im not really,all credit goes to s-trace on xda,on the thread i linked in the first post. all i did was modify his script from his directions,to remove the device check. i may later go back and make device specific ones as we test them so that someone doesnt flash one on something they shouldnt :eek:

Oh really?! I thought that was one of the main reasons for this... Hmm! Look forward to the elaboration.

unfortunately, mmcblk0p3 is write protected while s-on. this isnt a way to unlock without going thru htc dev,folks will still have to do that the "old fasioned" way.

the main reason i started messing with it was for the folks who unknowlingly unlocked after s-off so they could use fastboot commands. those folks,until now,were stuck with the relocked banner unless they turned s on,and then ran jpbear again. as weve discussed in other threads,it prolly doesnt matter much since phones dont seem to be scrutinized very carefully when when they are returned for warranty. however,its a huge peace of mind to know that you can easily remove all visible traces.

with it comes another,IMO anyway,big advantage. its EASY! :smokingsomb: the ability to unlock without htcdev once s off,and the ability to easily remove traces of having done that,will let folks have their fastboot commands back without having to flash a new bootloader. this is good,as if youre careless,a bad hboot flash can make your phone an expensive paperweight.

now if folks need to run an ruu or change firmware that takes away their juopunutbear or revolutionary patched hboot,we dont need to recomend they flash a new one,if they prefer those methods rather than the PG86IMG hboot install. all they need to do is flash a zip in recovery and voila! back to unlocked with no factory reset or data loss,no tokens,etc. easy peasy lemon squeezy :D

if they need to go back to 100% s on/locked from s-off/unlocked all they need to do is this:
-flash lock_bootloader in recovery
-run ruu
-turn s on(fastboot oem write secureflag 3)

this isnt somethin folks will use all the time. but its a good tool,and will be quite handy when needed :)

Now this I did not know, how the heck did you learn all this, does HTC have you on there payroll LOL :D

unfortunately, mmcblk0p3 is write protected while s-on. this isnt a way to unlock without going thru htc dev,folks will still have to do that the "old fasioned" way.

the main reason i started messing with it was for the folks who unknowlingly unlocked after s-off so they could use fastboot commands. those folks,until now,were stuck with the relocked banner unless they turned s on,and then ran jpbear again. as weve discussed in other threads,it prolly doesnt matter much since phones dont seem to be scrutinized very carefully when when they are returned for warranty. however,its a huge peace of mind to know that you can easily remove all visible traces.

with it comes another,IMO anyway,big advantage. its EASY! :smokingsomb: the ability to unlock without htcdev once s off,and the ability to easily remove traces of having done that,will let folks have their fastboot commands back without having to flash a new bootloader. this is good,as if youre careless,a bad hboot flash can make your phone an expensive paperweight.

now if folks need to run an ruu or change firmware that takes away their juopunutbear or revolutionary patched hboot,we dont need to recomend they flash a new one,if they prefer those methods rather than the PG86IMG hboot install. all they need to do is flash a zip in recovery and voila! back to unlocked with no factory reset or data loss,no tokens,etc. easy peasy lemon squeezy :D

if they need to go back to 100% s on/locked from s-off/unlocked all they need to do is this:
-flash lock_bootloader in recovery
-run ruu
-turn s on(fastboot oem write secureflag 3)

this isnt somethin folks will use all the time. but its a good tool,and will be quite handy when needed :)

Images of locking the bootloader/locked bootloader:
Preparing flash lock_bootloader.zip:
attachment.php
Successful Flash:
attachment.php
Locked Bootloader:
attachment.php

Images of unlocking the bootloader/unlocked bootloader:
Preparing flash unlock_bootloader.zip:
attachment.php
Successful Flash:
attachment.php
Unlocked Bootloader:
attachment.php

Attachments

• Lock 1.png
    Lock 1.png
    241.8 KB · Views: 155
  • Lock 2.png
    Lock 2.png
    302 KB · Views: 172
  • Lock 3.jpg
    Lock 3.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 133
  • Unlock 1.png
    Unlock 1.png
    241.9 KB · Views: 113
  • Unlock 2.png
    Unlock 2.png
    302.5 KB · Views: 101
  • Unlock 3.jpg
    Unlock 3.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 147
I was just going to say it looks like .IMG was missing and then I saw your second post. ;)

Check your DB link, I checked it and comes up with an error here, could be my internet, just checking

Thank you!! I see what the problem was. Dropbox does it with text files too, which I actually like! When you click the link to a text file, it opens it in the browser as a text file rather than prompting to download. Looks like it was trying to do it with the .img file as well but it was causing an error without the right tools to view the .img file!

Zipped up the file and fixed link! Should download now!

Just for a little tip, I have learned how to force the download per drop box's help page:

Force a file or folder to download

Using the new direct link above, you can further modify the URL to force the browser to download the file, rather than handle it natively. To force a file download, append a direct link with ?dl=1. For example:
https://dl.dropbox.com/s/xttkmuvu7hh72vu/MyFile.pdf (Note that the URL begins with dl.dropbox.com, as instructed in the section above.)
Becomes:
https://dl.dropbox.com/s/xttkmuvu7hh72vu/MyFile.pdf?dl=1 Enter the new URL in the address field of your browser and it should automatically download, instead of open, the file.

Back
Top Bottom