• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root ClockWorkMod

I was in cwm a few min ago to flash a zip and It wouldn't go to external SD so I'm going back to the main menu and once I got there it kept saying "back button disabled" so I'm trying to reboot and it wouldn't do anything just kept blinking the menu every time I clicked reboot now so finally I had to pull battery so it can boot up normally.

That happens if you scroll through one menu up or down three times. Doing so again reenables the back button. If you have an external sd card physically attached to your phone, then "choose zip from sdcard" means "choose zip from external sd card". The other option is to "choose zip from internal sd card" but that option actually includes the word "internal" in the name.

Upvote 0
That happens if you scroll through one menu up or down three times. Doing so again reenables the back button. If you have an external sd card physically attached to your phone, then "choose zip from sdcard" means "choose zip from external sd card". The other option is to "choose zip from internal sd card" but that option actually includes the word "internal" in the name.

Ohh ok thanks! I thought it was just a glitch cuz I went back in several min later and it was working fine..

Upvote 0
I was in cwm a few min ago to flash a zip and It wouldn't go to external SD so I'm going back to the main menu and once I got there it kept saying "back button disabled" so I'm trying to reboot and it wouldn't do anything just kept blinking the menu every time I clicked reboot now so finally I had to pull battery so it can boot up normally.

This is a security feature of CWM. Go down through the menu 3 times to re enable the back button again.
EDIT: Man, im always late to answering questions.

Reactions: BIONICLE38
Upvote 0
Seem's to me the right place to put my problem

Huawei Deuce u8520 dual
- Only get to red screeb fastboot
- tried to install multiple recoverys and nothing
- power on stays on red screen
- call + v.up + pwr screen off and center button light
- end call + v.down + pwr red screen and "waiting update", connet to pc and "reading commands"

and can't do anything!!!!

Someone HELPME the phone has 1week :(
I've got a stock rom but the only thing it has inside is a folder "image" with a file "factory.mbn"

put that folder inside a black sd card, then, v.down + end.call + pwr and appear red screen and "ERROR: can't boot normal... start fastboot" "waiting update" !!!!

Upvote 0
Took me forever and a day to find this thread (life children etc is my lame excuse). But I want to thank everybody who worked on this for allowing me to finally fully root this phone. Ever since I rooted my first phone I made a vow to never have me a non-rooted device. Read through all the bricked phones and whatnot it took to get this to work.
So as More a double check than anything else. But after flashing the recovery, are we ok with deleting the "noob tool" file from the sd card?
I'm thinking yes. But I've seen enough people in the forums not reading or being patient and screwing something up to at least ask first before I just go deleting away.
And again thanks y'all:D

Upvote 0
Took me forever and a day to find this thread (life children etc is my lame excuse). But I want to thank everybody who worked on this for allowing me to finally fully root this phone. Ever since I rooted my first phone I made a vow to never have me a non-rooted device. Read through all the bricked phones and whatnot it took to get this to work.
So as More a double check than anything else. But after flashing the recovery, are we ok with deleting the "noob tool" file from the sd card?
I'm thinking yes. But I've seen enough people in the forums not reading or being patient and screwing something up to at least ask first before I just go deleting away.
And again thanks y'all:D

You're very welcome. :] You're golden to delete that file. You don't need the app you installed for either rooting or installing Cwm, you can go to manage apps, and uninstall them both, and you can delete the apps that are downloaded on your sd card. (The noob tools.) Also make sure if you installed CWM to boot to it and make a backup! It saves to your External Sd card located at /sdcard/_ExternalSD/clockworkmod/backup/ so make sure to not delete that folder or anything in it. If you want you can specify CWM to backup to internal memory but it can take up to 180-750mb's of space so be careful, as you only have 1.93gb's of space in the internal. Always check for how much free space you have before backing up. And hopefully you do so before doing any fun stuff now that you have root. :]

Reactions: Ken C
Upvote 0
Lol,.. let's say... (hypothetically speaking, of course..) that you inadvertently deleted that _External sd file. (I've looked and can't for the life of me find it, and creating another backup doesn't seem to make another file like that.) I had three of them at one point.
_external sd
_external sd_1
And _external sd_2
And was saving the file to my pc, using the card reader in the pc. Saved what I thought was the original. (There were two files showing in it. )
Backups &
Blobs
Which I copied into a brand new folder on the pc. Then deleted the other two.
When I put the card back in the phone I couldn't find that file. And like I said going another backup didn't seem to create another one. I'm really hoping I'm just blind and missing it.

I've done this before but with other phone types and with different recoveries but never spent allot of time with cwm type recoveries so I feel like a noob fool, but any help would be appreciated :D
Thanks

Upvote 0
You don't "make" a folder named that. And it's case sensitive. _ExternalSD is what it should be. In a file manager it's /mnt/sdcard/_ExternalSD/clockworkmod/ and that's where stuff is. Cwm6 is what you have assuming you used the noob tool apk. The backup folder isn't where all the data for stuff is. Blobs has most of the data for everything in the backup. You need both folders. This is why I like cwm5 installed manually because it wont have the blobs folder. It kind of confused me a lot lol. You said you figured it out but be careful to not delete that folder next time. :]

Upvote 0
Yeah. Mnt/sdcard/_ExternalSD isn't a folder its the directory fort the external SD card. In cwm6 you can change the way it backs up under backup and restore > backup type. DUP is the new method with the blobs, TAR is the old method. If you want to backup your backups to your PC, just copy over the clockworkmod folder or the specific backup date folder. If using the DUP method, you will need to copy over the corresponding blob folder also. Or switch over to Tar's.

Reactions: Ken C
Upvote 0
Well, the thing is.
I put a sd card from another phone in it. (I know, stupid)
So I just want to straighten the mess out. When I follow that _External SD file I see clockwork and a bunch of other files. Most of these I think are from the other phone. The part that's messing with me. Is that one level up is a set of files like a phone setup "dcim, media, etc..) that's where I see that _ExternalSD file.

I know it's a mess. But I want to partition the card. I want to save my backup also of course. So I want to make sure I move to the pc what I'm supposed to.

I'm thinking I save just the clockwork file with my backups however they were done. Part the card (I've been reading round) and put those files back on it.

Will that _ExternalSD file be there?
Or was it from me running a dirty card in it that I saw that?

Sorry it ran so long, just wanted to fully explain it. If anybody sees something I'm off about please let me know.
Gotta learn a new phone

Upvote 0
When you go one level up you are then on /sdcard/ which is the internal memory. If it's an Elite, it has 1.93gb of internal. If you format the card only everything in /_ExternalSD/ will be deleted. Cwm will be installed still but any of your backups will be gone. Dcim, media, etc. That's the stuff on your phone. Internal Memory. Do you use Quickmemo at all? The screenshot app included in the Elite on ZV5? That app takes screenshots and stores them on the internal memory. (1.93gb) Your actual Sdcard is 8gb correct? That's the /sdcard/_ExternalSD/ directory. _ExternalSD is NOT a file. It's a link to your external sdcard. (The one you put in your phone.) Does this make sense to you? Anything in dcim on the internal memory will be unharmed if you format your Sdcard. But if you do so in your CWM recovery, /emmc is the internal memory. To keep pics you screenshotted or used your camera with, don't format /emmc format /sdcard and that's what you want to format. After you format your external sdcard, be sure to make another backup in CWM as any previous ones will be deleted unless you used the backup to internal memory method. (1.93gb)

Upvote 0
Well, the thing is.
I put a sd card from another phone in it. (I know, stupid)
So I just want to straighten the mess out. When I follow that _External SD file I see clockwork and a bunch of other files. Most of these I think are from the other phone. The part that's messing with me. Is that one level up is a set of files like a phone setup "dcim, media, etc..) that's where I see that _ExternalSD file.

I know it's a mess. But I want to partition the card. I want to save my backup also of course. So I want to make sure I move to the pc what I'm supposed to.

I'm thinking I save just the clockwork file with my backups however they were done. Part the card (I've been reading round) and put those files back on it.

Will that _ExternalSD file be there?
Or was it from me running a dirty card in it that I saw that?

Sorry it ran so long, just wanted to fully explain it. If anybody sees something I'm off about please let me know.
Gotta learn a new phone

Thanks for the info.

I know I keep referring to it as a file. But I get what y'all are saying about external sd. Before I got this LG I had an evo 4g. The way the two phones deal with files and memory is what keeps messing with me.

Anyway, took that clockwork file off the card formatted and partitioned it. Then I moved the clockwork file back to where it came from. I ended up redoing the backup in the tar format. Just for the heck of it if nothing else. Played around a bit with link2sd, moving apps and creating links. Just to get a feel for it. And that's where I stand at the moment.

Haven't flashed anything yet, but since doing all that I've yet to have any gremlins show their ugly faces either. Atm I'm going to assume I'm good. But I'll still be re-reading some of the threads pertaining to all this and see if anything jumps out at me.
Phone seems capable enough, but like I said before I'm kinda having to learn another device:)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones