• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root ClockWorkMod

I reflashed CWM and uninstalled Audubon Birds.
Tried a backup to Sdcard and still failed.....

I tried it on internal which I have 1631MB after uninstalling Audubon Birds. (from 721MB with Birds installed)
I finally have a backup. :) It is 845MB.

Will flash Harmonia ROM and try a backup before placing any other apps on and see what might be causing the problem....

I reflashed CWM and uninstalled Audubon Birds.
Tried a backup to Sdcard and still failed.....

I tried it on internal which I have 1631MB after uninstalling Audubon Birds. (from 721MB with Birds installed)
I finally have a backup. :) It is 845MB.

Will flash Harmonia ROM and try a backup before placing any other apps on and see what might be causing the problem....

Damn, you have a lot of apps. Mine is 300m.

CWM's date went back to 6 Jan 1980 yesterday. Today it is 7 Jan 1980, it doesn't seem to get past the 8th and then it goes back to the 5th or 6th.

CWM's date went back to 6 Jan 1980 yesterday. Today it is 7 Jan 1980, it doesn't seem to get past the 8th and then it goes back to the 5th or 6th.

Really? When I made my first Nandroid backup, it was actually set to sometime mid-February, 1980. Ever since then it's actually been progressing - for example, it now thinks it is in March of 1980. I haven't done anything to it, either.

Really? When I made my first Nandroid backup, it was actually set to sometime mid-February, 1980. Ever since then it's actually been progressing - for example, it now thinks it is in March of 1980. I haven't done anything to it, either.

Anyone know what keeps track of time when Airplane mode is enabled, maybe we need to look at the root of where that info is coming from?

Anyone know what keeps track of time when Airplane mode is enabled, maybe we need to look at the root of where that info is coming from?

To be honest, I have no idea. What it seems like is that the OE has two methods of keeping track of the time in place, which makes no sense. Ideally, as with computers, you only need a signal to make sure the date/time tracking is accurate to the... what.... microsecond? But that only updates or refreshes the internal clock data. The clock continues on regardless of signal/connection, while still being highly accurate, regardless. It only needs a signal to refresh itself.

With our phones, it seems that this is in place, but only while in the user environment. Which would be why you could turn on your OE, let it grab a signal to update, then flip on airplane mode and it still keeps current time. But, for whatever reason, while it is booting up or while running in anything but the user environment, it has a second internal clock running at sometime in the 80's.

While that makes zero sense whatsoever to do that to, well, any device (or if you must, at least keep the two clocks synced for all our sakes), that seems (at least to me) to be the case here.

I use an app called clock sync to make sure my device is using the correct time even when I have no signal from Virgin (quite often), I wonder if this is what is causing problems with the time in recovery.

I don't have it currently installed, waiting to see if my recovery goes past the 8th of January.

I use an app called clock sync to make sure my device is using the correct time even when I have no signal from Virgin (quite often), I wonder if this is what is causing problems with the time in recovery.

I don't have it currently installed, waiting to see if my recovery goes past the 8th of January.

Well, keep us posted.

Just use Es file explorer or Root explorer and rename the damn folders of the backup... I did and it displays the names I gave. Which is my stock rom "Stock" and my cyan rom "Cyanbread" and it shows both names in recovery and I can restore them as well. Maybe you guys don't have the latest CWM installed? Or are you seriously just complaining about something that really shouldn't matter? Lol.

Just use Es file explorer or Root explorer and rename the damn folders of the backup... I did and it displays the names I gave. Which is my stock rom "Stock" and my cyan rom "Cyanbread" and it shows both names in recovery and I can restore them as well. Maybe you guys don't have the latest CWM installed? Or are you seriously just complaining about something that really shouldn't matter? Lol.

Maybe you should read the thread.

I've been playing with the cm9 source lately. As part of the build process, it creates a recovery. If any brave souls want to try it, this is cwm v6.0.1.2. I gave it some quick tests and it seems to work fine.

Stuff I tested and it looks like it works:
* adb running as root with busybox
* mounting /data, /system, /sdcard, /emmc all look like they mount th eright partition in the right place
* mounting USB storage now mounts the internal and external SD cards on your computer
* all the buttons are mapped the same as our cwm5
* backups and restore look like they work (I did a couple and it didn't brick my phone)

Stuff I didn't test yet
* all the stuff in the menus that isn't listed above

I didn't bother to put in the timefix workaround because it didn't work right anyways. I'm still looking into the correct way to fix the time. It may just be me, but the backups seem to take longer. Also, this one is created by the build system, not by altering the stock image. The recovery image is smaller than the partition and the md5 for the whole partition will be different than just the recovery image.

Code:
~ # cat /dev/zero > /dev/block/mmcblk0p14
cat: write error: No space left on device
~ # md5sum /dev/block/mmcblk0p14
96995b58d4cbf6aaa9041b4f00c7f6ae  /dev/block/mmcblk0p14
~ # md5sum /tmp/cwm6_lgoe_10_11_12_16.img
afe90c378abab54edbf22c965d93ba7b  /tmp/cwm6_lgoe_10_11_12_16.img
~ # dd if=/tmp/cwm6_lgoe_10_11_12_16.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p14
13464+0 records in
13464+0 records out
6893568 bytes (6.6MB) copied, 1.696900 seconds, 3.9MB/s
~ # md5sum /dev/block/mmcblk0p14
458f54ad01c3f5db7c9de1ed7577a602  /dev/block/mmcblk0p14
Download cwm6_lgoe_10_11_12_16.img from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way
md5 afe90c378abab54edbf22c965d93ba7b

GP,

Everything seems to work on the new recovery. Tried most everything out. Made a backup, wiped everything, installed a rom, tried it out, wiped everything, restored backup.

Phone still works and has yet to lock, freeze, melt, explode, or turn into a paperweight.

The only issue is cosmetic and is due to that android background that comes up certain times it is doing an operation. Sometimes it doesn't go away making the menu hard to read.

Edit.... mmmmm pie ^

It takes longer because it builds it in a more "secure" way (as I see it). Check your cwm folder on your sd, you will see that the blobs folder holds the backup, and the backup folder holds lists of these files (I think)

Back
Top Bottom