• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root CM7/general issues

Kamel

Jul 16, 2011
I have had a lot of fun with cm7 and am so grateful for it being ported. I realize it's new, so this isn't a question for the developer, more like I'm somewhat of a newb and think I'm doing something dumb.

At any rate, I had stock interface rooted and I installed CWM/CM7. I then installed the second hotfix and google apps along with many applications from the market. I was having trouble with my outgoing text messages sometimes showing up as complete garbage, so I decided to just do it all over.

I completely formatted my sdcard (accidentally wiping my photos... oops). Then, did a factory reset. I odin'd to stock with CWM, did another factory reset, also deleted cache/dalvik cache or whatever it's called through the interface. i updated to CM7 through CWM and did yet another factory reset to make sure I was back to the basics then installed the google apps package, 2nd hotfix for cm7, etc.

When I got in, all of my apps reappeared o_O (absolutely positive SDCard was 100% wiped, i even formatted it to ext3 then back to FAT32). I don't know if it's the market "remembering my apps" or what, but no new apps will install and it says not enough space available for anything even though there is 50mb of internal and almost 2gb sdcard. Any ideas what's going on?

I have had a lot of fun with cm7 and am so grateful for it being ported. I realize it's new, so this isn't a question for the developer, more like I'm somewhat of a newb and think I'm doing something dumb.

At any rate, I had stock interface rooted and I installed CWM/CM7. I then installed the second hotfix and google apps along with many applications from the market. I was having trouble with my outgoing text messages sometimes showing up as complete garbage, so I decided to just do it all over.

I completely formatted my sdcard (accidentally wiping my photos... oops). Then, did a factory reset. I odin'd to stock with CWM, did another factory reset, also deleted cache/dalvik cache or whatever it's called through the interface. i updated to CM7 through CWM and did yet another factory reset to make sure I was back to the basics then installed the google apps package, 2nd hotfix for cm7, etc.

When I got in, all of my apps reappeared o_O (absolutely positive SDCard was 100% wiped, i even formatted it to ext3 then back to FAT32). I don't know if it's the market "remembering my apps" or what, but no new apps will install and it says not enough space available for anything even though there is 50mb of internal and almost 2gb sdcard. Any ideas what's going on?

the texting issue you have is because the test message was longer then 145 characters

other people were having that too

Reactions: sensation98
Upvote 0
it did only happen on text messages that were a long length. i do not know an exact number unfortunately.

another 2 things... i can't pair with blueooth (an error box pops up and immediately goes away i can't read it tried about 6 times) and my wireless network was fully remembered, password and all. I did not ever use a2sd or link2sd. i have tried them looong ago but not even worth mentioning (was back when using stock rooted, have made many changes since then including odining back to stock)

this has gotten a little long, let me recap:
  • Having issues with CM7, so decided to "start over"
  • Hard reset, formatted and reformatted SD card
  • Deleted all cache and everything I could find in the CWM recovery page
  • Odin'd back to stock+CWM package
  • Reset to factory settings again, deleted cache etc again
  • Installed cm7
  • Installed hotfix 2 via CWM
  • Installed google apps via CWM

Now having the following issues:
  • Long text messages are still garbled (original issue)
  • Unable to install new apps due to "no space available" (though there is more than sufficient space)
  • Unable to pair bluetooth to car (have not tried a headset yet)
  • Settings did not seem to fully reset, apps all still there (some were installed to the sdcard using the built in option to move to sd card) and wireless network password was still stored

going to do a factory reset again without installing cm7 again and see if that does anything... not holding my breath lol

Upvote 0
I think I got everything fixed (not sure about bluetooth and text message issues)... I knew it had to be simple. Despite the sarcasm here, I'll post what I found so that anyone else with the issue will have a resolution that actually works.

I did a factory reset and cleared cache, then noticed a menu option in CWM that I hadn't noticed before, "Mounts and Storage". Navigated here, then performed the following:

format /system
format /data
format /cache

Warning: not responsible if anyone uses this and it screws anything up... understand that what you're doing here is essentially deleting your system (in my case cm7) on your phone. This was exactly what I wanted to do from the beginning.

Next, I verified the phone would not boot. Booted into recovery mode again, and installed cm7 without installing anything extra yet (like google apps pack etc). Once I verified it was working the way I hoped it would, I booted into CWM again, did another factory reset for good measure, then installed the google apps pack.

Rebooted into cm7, then did the "initial setup" of the google apps. A part of this is something I misread before. I thought it was referring to restoring contacts, actually it was asking me if I wanted to back up/restore my apps and personal settings like wifi passwords. I unchecked this to keep my system as clean as possible and continued on. I may have also spilled a little goats blood too, not sure if that was operative to my success but wont hurt.

Now everything is working fine

Reactions: hroark13
Upvote 0
are you on beta2d

because there is not hotfix 2

there is hotfix a and b

I am working on a new version that uses the new GB files

bit I am running into problems getting it to work with the new kernel

Sorry for the late response... I suppose I wrote the version without thinking. Yes, I'm on beta 2d, hotfix b (bypassed installing hotfix a since it was included in b).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones