• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root CM7 Update/SD card write protected

one80bysummer1

Mar 11, 2011
Holiday, FL
I apologize in advance if this has been covered, but at first glance I didn't see anything..

Since the CM7 update yesterday my SD card has become write protected. I re-flashed and still get the same write protection error. The device shows up as a cd drive..not removable storage and doesn't let me transfer anything to the card.

This has to be something obvious I'm just overlooking...any ideas?

I apologize in advance if this has been covered, but at first glance I didn't see anything..

Since the CM7 update yesterday my SD card has become write protected. I re-flashed and still get the same write protection error. The device shows up as a cd drive..not removable storage and doesn't let me transfer anything to the card.

If you remember the stock appeared as a cd too b4 u enable usb storage. I've noticed on mine I might have to unplug the usb cable n plug it back in to get it too work.

And I think theres a setting to write protect it.

Upvote 0

you on a mac? i have trouble on my mac, usb is a cd drive with only "dummy" in it.

Upvote 0
Nope. Old and trusty laptop just shit the bed so I dusted off my old XP machine...never had a problem on the Laptop. Same here though, getting the "Dummy" pop up. Straaange

stupid question... did you make sure to enable usb debugging (jic) and is usb connection set up and turned on from your drop down menu. cm7 takes a sec to connect sometimes. the button will turn orange too.

Upvote 0
stupid question... did you make sure to enable usb debugging (jic) and is usb connection set up and turned on from your drop down menu. cm7 takes a sec to connect sometimes. the button will turn orange too.

Interesting point..didnt notice that the usb debugging notification stopped showing up..cant find the setting for it though??? I must be goin crazy or my short term is gone because I jus cant find it lol..

And yea it acts like it connects..when I enable the usb connection (cool little UI btw..)

Upvote 0
Cant believe I forgot where USB debugging was...haa...anyhow I found it, disabled then re-enabled it. Finally got the usb debugging connected notification...still no luck on write protection. Starting to wonder if my card is damaged..

Your card is not damaged. Mine does the same exact thing. On two different computer, one XP and the other Win 7 - on both it shows up as a CD drive that is write protected.

But on my laptop and another desktop it works perfectly and shows up as a removable drive when connected.

So I cannot figure out what why it does not on two two the PC's. Makes no sense to me.

Upvote 0
Your card is not damaged. Mine does the same exact thing. On two different computer, one XP and the other Win 7 - on both it shows up as a CD drive that is write protected.

But on my laptop and another desktop it works perfectly and shows up as a removable drive when connected.

So I cannot figure out what why it does not on two two the PC's. Makes no sense to me.

Yea my laptop is Win7 and it shows up removable. Xp says its write protected. Ill have to do a little more research..its gotta be something simple im just overlooking lol

Upvote 0
Let me know if you find any resolution. Thanks

Okay well I did some more research..I'm only sticking with this old and busted thing until I get the old and trusty back up and running..so I gave up looking for pc side resolutions...

But I did some more research on the forum and found a post by BlastGT1 where he suggests two programs for uploading/downloading files to/from your phone via Wifi.

Droid PhoneControl
WiFi File Explorer

I tried WiFi File explorer..it cost $1.30 and works great. You just need to run the app and type and address into your browser. Its easy to use and it does what it says. If you have wifi and $1.30 to spend I would definitely reccomend it.

Thanks to BlastGT1 for posting that

Reactions: opsguy
Upvote 0
found the problem. cm7 doesn't install the drivers on any device you connect it to after the flash.

fought with my phone for three hours. finally saw a message that said no drivers found. flashed my stock backup and installed drivers. works fine now.

Toke just want to double check. Was it the stock 2.1 that you flashed back to get the drivers installed?

Thanks

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones