• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Complete Guide: Root, unrEVOked, Titanium, Tether, Nandroid, AdFree, animation, and remove apps

Jon have you downloaded the unrEVOked forever for the Inc yet? If not are you going to do it and then download the OTA from VZW and re root? I am on the fence on downloading unrEVOked forever and was looking for other peoples thoughts!?!?!

Jon have you downloaded the unrEVOked forever for the Inc yet? If not are you going to do it and then download the OTA from VZW and re root? I am on the fence on downloading unrEVOked forever and was looking for other peoples thoughts!?!?!

I haven't done it yet - I want to see if there are any unknown consequences of using it, or if they figure out how to undo it. If the OTA comes out soon, there's a good chance I'll apply it, unroot, get the OTA, then reroot.

I haven't done it yet - I want to see if there are any unknown consequences of using it, or if they figure out how to undo it. If the OTA comes out soon, there's a good chance I'll apply it, unroot, get the OTA, then reroot.

I have the same thoughts, I have read up on everything regarding S-Off, but I am waiting to see how it works out and if in fact they do provide the option to go back to S-On. Let me know if you do apply it when the OTA comes out. I think I am in the same boot and will only apply to get the OTA and then re-root to get my Wireless Tethering back and also the ability to apply some ROMS and Kernals as I learn more about them...Still wet behind the ears when it comes to Android and I am learning by reading the forums and your website. Thanks for all the great information.

Jon, thanks for the help and for being patient with us NOOB's lurking around the forums! Your blog or site is extremely informative.

I'm using the unrEVOked recovery flash tool linked in JonAmerica's first post, and I've set the phone up as a disc drive, and enabled USB debugging. I open the reflash.exe, and all I get is the unrEVOked 3 logo, under that the Painless Root and Reflash slogan, and underneath it says, "Waiting for device. Please plug in now and enable USB debugging." Well, I already did that. What do I do?

Edit- I tried it in charge only too... but I didn't install the proper driver for hboot. Working on that now. D'oh!

And after installing the hboot driver and turning the phone off then on (by holding power/volume down again) I opened unrEVOked, and get the same message.

Are you using underclock or overclock? Kernel sounds like a good way to get my feet wet while I wait for OTA or a stable 2.2 ROM.

Sometimes I need long battery life but typically I am near my car charger since I am in field sales. Is there some type of kernel switcher or appropriate app. Or is overclock a SIGNIFICANT battery drainer as compared to stock?

thanks for insight in advance. These instructions worked perfectly. I found the key was patience. If something seemed stalled or like it wasn't working, just wait a moment.

Jon sir you did a fine job...after this bogus affair with waiting on 2.2 I am going back to my rooting ways like I did on the moto droid...your guides are great since I have actually bricked a moto droid before and I do not want this to happen again (was flashing like 2-3 ROMS a day haha) Anyways thanks again...you are a scholar and a gentleman

Are you using underclock or overclock? Kernel sounds like a good way to get my feet wet while I wait for OTA or a stable 2.2 ROM.

Sometimes I need long battery life but typically I am near my car charger since I am in field sales. Is there some type of kernel switcher or appropriate app. Or is overclock a SIGNIFICANT battery drainer as compared to stock?

thanks for insight in advance. These instructions worked perfectly. I found the key was patience. If something seemed stalled or like it wasn't working, just wait a moment.

Hey man just a heads up...you can use setCPU to set profiles for certain situations in order to save on battery life/ prevent phone from getting too hot based on battery temp/battery level (i think)...hope this helps :)

Sorry. Two more questions. If I update the radio to try 2.2 and want to revert back, will my Original Nandroid backup (prior to radio update) also take the radio back to my original version?

B) Pper the 2.2 instruction it says reroot with Unrevoked. Do I also need to redo the drivers or just open the unrevoked exe?

Anyone else have issues with Titanium Backup? Mine does show any apps to backup though I have a lot loaded. BusyBox has been installed and updated and still it does not see any apps.

I have not issues running unrevoked or S=OFF, but titanium has never worked for me.

Thoughts?

It says very clearly not to change the name of my nandroid backup, but if I were to move the backup off my phone to save room. Then put it back in the same place later would that cause any problems?

I absolutely could not get my phone to autorun PB31IMG.zip I tried formatting it in fat32 via the phone OS. I used my PC to format in fat32 1024. It did then when I tried to access the card it asked me if I wanted to format it.

I formatted yet again with the phone OS. I see it check for updates and it even shows PB31IMG.zip on the white hsboot screen but doesn't ask me to update. It just sees it then gooes back to the menu.

Any other suggestions? I'd gotten the B@lls up t try the radio update and 2.2 and can't get past step 1.

P.S. Could I use Nandroid to format SD Card? Is it worth a try? I see that as an option in Recovery.

I absolutely could not get my phone to autorun PB31IMG.zip
I

I am in the same predicament... I have tried several times and it shows up on the hboot, just doesn't do anything. what now?

thanks...

and thanks Jonathan for the post, I am the super haxor noob and I rooted my phone easily.

Got closer. I redownloaded the IMG zip file directly from adrynalin. The phone recognized it and there was a bar on the right like it was checking the status. But then it never asked me if I wanted to do the update.

Anyone have another link for the USB drivers? They report as being corrupt when unpacking the 6.09mb file.

Struck out so far (perhaps bad omen). Even though the USB file says corrupt, it unpacked. I tried to install the drivers and Vista 64 finds them an tries to install while the Inc is plugged in USB, but then says "can not install, file not found". I have debugging on.

Vista sees my Inc and sees the drivers and tries to install them, but errors out.

So have you jumped on the Unrevoked Forever bandwagon yet? Also have you update your radio? If so, what Radio are you running and how hard was it?

I agree, could not have gotten his far without all the help. I do have one question. DINC is running excellent now! updated radio, wireless Tethering is working great! Titanium is fantastic ..my final step is to do a full wipe. Question? will I lose "SuperUser" (Root)? when going to 2.2.?? when doing full wipe??

again thanks to all who have gotten me this far!!

2 other things came to mind..Titanium backup is great..after update go back in and load what you had to begin with..Also Rom Manager is excellent as well. it keeps track of your backups, and you will have an opportunity if things go bad to boot back into one that worked...

Bear in mind i am using "Unrevoked as well.

On removing bloatware, I can mv the .apk to app.disabled but I can't move the .odex. I moved the AmazonMP3 apk and it still remains functional on my phone. Any comment?

EDIT: WEIRD, it worked with CityID and I did the same thing, was able to mv the .apk but not the .odex, yet CityID is gone.

Back
Top Bottom