• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Complete Guide: Root, unrEVOked, Titanium, Tether, Nandroid, AdFree, animation, and remove apps

Sorry if this belongs somewhere else but I searched and didn't really see anything to help.

First question I just rooted my Incredible 2 days ago. I assume if I accept the OTA it will remove my root and there's not a new unrevoked that will work for Froyo yet, right? So I lose my backup and wifi teather.

Apparently there are ROMS that have a leaked version of FROYO but I don't know enough about them to know which of the many to choose that will work with all the features of the phone including the camera. Any advice?

Second I'm going to upgrade to either a 16 or 32 gb memory card but there are files and folders from applications I've installed on the standard 2gb card already there. Is it as simple as just copying all that stuff over to the new card or so i have to reinstall or do something differently when changing memory cards to the programs and databases still work?

Apologies for what are probably very simple answers but just trying to figure all this out. Didn't have as much to consider when I was on the iPhone.

Thanks!

I'm using the unrEVOked recovery flash tool linked in JonAmerica's first post, and I've set the phone up as a disc drive, and enabled USB debugging. I open the reflash.exe, and all I get is the unrEVOked 3 logo, under that the Painless Root and Reflash slogan, and underneath it says, "Waiting for device. Please plug in now and enable USB debugging." Well, I already did that. What do I do?
facing the same issue myself... I installed the drivers per the walk-through page, and everything seemed smooth, but now I can't get past this step.
anybody have any suggestions? thanks.

Thanks for the set up instructions. I have been able to get farther with these than so far. But I am currently stuck in the unrevoked initial screen. It is "waiting for the bootloader; make sure driver is installed" mode and the phone has rebooted into the hboot usb plug. Everything is on hold at this point and I have tried installing new drivers etc, but cannot seem to get past this point. Any help would be appreciated.

Sorry if this belongs somewhere else but I searched and didn't really see anything to help.

First question I just rooted my Incredible 2 days ago. I assume if I accept the OTA it will remove my root and there's not a new unrevoked that will work for Froyo yet, right? So I lose my backup and wifi teather.

Apparently there are ROMS that have a leaked version of FROYO but I don't know enough about them to know which of the many to choose that will work with all the features of the phone including the camera. Any advice?

Second I'm going to upgrade to either a 16 or 32 gb memory card but there are files and folders from applications I've installed on the standard 2gb card already there. Is it as simple as just copying all that stuff over to the new card or so i have to reinstall or do something differently when changing memory cards to the programs and databases still work?

Apologies for what are probably very simple answers but just trying to figure all this out. Didn't have as much to consider when I was on the iPhone.

Thanks!

I've been running [ROM] Virtuous v2.3 (8/29/10): Stock Sense/Froyo v3.21.605.1 w/Fixes & Enhancements - xda-developers and have been happy so far. The only bug I've noticed is that using Voice Search to do a "note to self" causes a force close. Other than that, I haven't hit a single bug. The instructions on that link are easy to follow.

For your SD card, copying everything will work just fine. Just be sure to format the new SD card as 32bit, not 16bit.

Ok.

I am sure this has been discussed a million times - maybe two. I have rooted my incredible 2.1 using unrevoked a couple months back. Everything works fine. I am a little nervous about unrooting (downgrading the phone) and I am completely unsure of the necessary steps to accomplish this task.

When I am able to get this phone downgraded, I would like to then apply the OTA update when it arrives. My question is, can someone provide me the steps necessary to completely downgrade/unroot the phone so that I can obtain the OTA and then re-root the phone when it becomes an available option?

Thanks in advance, and sorry to be a dweeb about this. Just nervous I will foul up something.

This all makes sense, but should I use the unrevoked forever before downgrading to insure that I am able to add wifi tether back when upgraded to 2.2?

Jon, the ZIP for an official OTA has been extracted and posted via Android Central.

Should users use this instead?

It comes with Superuser Permissions. Wireless Tether can be found in the market and installed post root.
Been trying to install Wireless Tether from the market. It says I need root privileges. I thought I had that since I installed Unrevoked3 and Unrevoked forever.

Been trying to install Wireless Tether from the market. It says I need root privileges. I thought I had that since I installed Unrevoked3 and Unrevoked forever.

the version of wifi tether i got from the marketplace did not work either so i had to get to the wiki to download the correct app package to install.
i'll see if i can find the link when i get home

Here is the site to download directly based on the model of phone you have.
http://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/

Ok..Got wireless tether working. Tried to update to Froyo with the file from the google website that was posted. After I apply the update and reboot, it stops and says "Process system is not responding." Then after a few minutes it will reboot and keep doing the same thing. Not looking too good..

I

I am in the same predicament... I have tried several times and it shows up on the hboot, just doesn't do anything. what now?

thanks...

and thanks Jonathan for the post, I am the super haxor noob and I rooted my phone easily.

Make sure your SD card is formatted 32bit. If it's the stock 2gb card it's not.

I was following your article and ran adfree and where you said there would be an error which was normal after you pushed Download and install host mine just said successful is this alright or did something not work right?

and yes everyone else I see the irony of asking if something didn't work right because it said successful rather than error

I was following your article and ran adfree and where you said there would be an error which was normal after you pushed Download and install host mine just said successful is this alright or did something not work right?

and yes everyone else I see the irony of asking if something didn't work right because it said successful rather than error

If you are s-off...then it will be successful...no worries...

Same thing happened to me.

It said successfull and completed an update. Did not reboot but asked me to reboot to remove DNS cache..

Should we still follow #4-#9 or are we reaping the full benefits already.

Same thing happened to me.

It said successfull and completed an update. Did not reboot but asked me to reboot to remove DNS cache..

Should we still follow #4-#9 or are we reaping the full benefits already.

The best way to test Ad Free is to see if your phone is now ad free. With A Rooted 2.2 Incredible it should installed from the market without any problems.

Unzip Google SDK download. You will see a folder called android-sdk-windows. Move that folder to the root of the c:\ drive, and rename it to sdk so that its location is c:\sdk.
Run c:\sdk\SDK Setup.exe (You will receive error messages, this is okay. Once the application is installed you can close all windows.

How do I do this?

Back
Top Bottom