• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Complete Newbie's Guide to rooting and flashing Evo V 4G ROMs/Kernels using fastboot

I think I followed instructions from the xda forums. I don't remember flashing a custom recovery this was almost a 4 months ago when I tried it but now I want to figure this out I gave up last time.

Do I need a custom recovery and roms in order for the root to work?
 
Well I'm assuming you followed this guide right? The instructions in a nutshell are:

1. Unlock Bootloader
2. Flash Custom Recovery
3. Root
4. S-off optional

So you didn't download and flash TWRP to your phone?


Also, I'm a little confused as to how you got s-off without rooting first :confused:
Did you unroot or run an RUU after getting s-off?
 
I think I followed instructions from the xda forums. I don't remember flashing a custom recovery this was almost a 4 months ago when I tried it but now I want to figure this out I gave up last time.

Do I need a custom recovery and roms in order for the root to work?

Give me a few minutes and I will gather a couple downloads and get you going. Luckily you are s-off so this should be pretty easy! ;)
 
the computer I used to root or tried to root my phone got stolen I downloaded a few things to it but I honestly don't remember it was long ago and I would just look in my computer but unfortunately some punk is enjoying it right now.
 
Okay, download this: 4ext Recovery.

Put that on the root of your sd card (not in any folders). Rename the file to PG86IMG.zip. Basically delete "4ext_" from the beginning of the file name.

Boot into your bootloader:
Power down, do a battery pull then hold volume down+power until you get to your bootloader. It should ask you if you want to update. Press Volume Up to say yes. When it's finished, press power to reboot.

Once you are booted back up, delete that PG86IMG file from your sd card.

Then download CWM-SuperSU-v0.99.zip.

Put that on your sd card. No need to rename.

Then boot into your bootloader again. Use your Volume Up or Down key to navigate to "Recovery" then press power to select.

Once in recovery, you will be able to use the touch screen.

Choose install-zip from sd card. Then navigate to the SuperSU file. Choose it and go through the prompts. After that, reboot, and once booted up run root checker again and you should be rooted!
 
it did not ask me if I want to update? is there a way to manually update

If it didn't ask to update, it's either in the wrong location, or the file is named wrong. Double check that it's not called PG86IMG.zip.zip

If you renamed it on your computer and have file extensions hidden that may be the problem.
 
no its exactly the way its suppose to be, I event tried going to the recovery and updating it manually but it wont work it says:
Finding update
installing update
installation aborted I think there is something else wrong?
 
no its exactly the way its suppose to be, I event tried going to the recovery and updating it manually but it wont work it says:
Finding update
installing update
installation aborted I think there is something else wrong?

You can't flash that file through recovery. This file has to be done through the bootloader and will put the recovery on your phone...

So when you choose recovery from the bootloader, what do you see? It sounds like you do in fact already have a custom recovery installed.
 
it says:
reboot system now
apply update from sd card
wipe data/factory rest
wipe catch partrition
install zip from sdcard
backup and restore
mounts and storage
advanced
power off


thats it
 
I chose install update from sdcard, then I found the PG86IMG.zip and tried to install it but nothing happened it aborted installation
 
Well thanks for your help I really appreciate it I have to step out and go to work. I will be back later this evening or tomorrow try again. I will try this and get back to you with more questions I'm sure I will need some more help
 
it says:
reboot system now
apply update from sd card
wipe data/factory rest
wipe catch partrition
install zip from sdcard
backup and restore
mounts and storage
advanced
power off


thats it

Well, you already have a custom recovery! And you are correct, you cannot install the PG86IMG.zip through recovery. It doesn't contain the right information. You have to use it a different way.

So just ignore the PG86IMG.zip stuff that I wrote before.

Just download the SuperSU patch. Put that on your sd card. Go into recovery and choose install zup from sd card. Flashing that patch should give you root access. That's it! Then run root checker and you should be golden!
 
OK, I decided to try rooting this thing, but the very first download link, called "HTC Sync", is not working.
 
OK, I decided to try rooting this thing, but the very first download link, called "HTC Sync", is not working.

Your referring to the directions in the First Post??

You need the USB Drivers, here is just the USB Drivers from HTC Sync v3.3.17.

This is what I am using, and I don't have HTC Sync install at all..


Also, if you are NOT Developing for Android, stay with the Mini SDK for this procedure, it makes it a lot simpler to setup..
 
ok, help.
I'm at the part where I submit the token to unlock the phone, but when I hit submit, I get an error "404" saying that the page cannot be found.
Any help at this point would be appreciated.
 
ok, help.
I'm at the part where I submit the token to unlock the phone, but when I hit submit, I get an error "404" saying that the page cannot be found.
Any help at this point would be appreciated.

That sounds like an error on their end... Unfortunately I don't think there's a way around that. You'll just have to keep trying until it's taken care of!
 
ok I did what you told me to do and it worked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thank you so much I owe you big time man I been trying to figure this out for quite some time your the man..... man!
 
Trying to prepare to s-off.
In the directions of downloads, at the JuopunutBear site, it says to

"Download the correct version of the tool for your HBOOT and OS:"

with a list of phones. One says linux ice cream sandwich virgin mobile, and the other says windows ice cream sandwhich virgin mobile.
Which one is the one for our phones?
 
Trying to prepare to s-off.
In the directions of downloads, at the JuopunutBear site, it says to

"Download the correct version of the tool for your HBOOT and OS:"

with a list of phones. One says linux ice cream sandwich virgin mobile, and the other says windows ice cream sandwhich virgin mobile.
Which one is the one for our phones?

Well your phone is Ice cream sandwich. If you are using a windows PC download the windows version. If linux, download the linux version ;)
 
Well your phone is Ice cream sandwich. If you are using a windows PC download the windows version. If linux, download the linux version ;)
Thanks. I was thinking they were referring to the phone, not the pc.
BTW, if you hear a loud bone-chilling scream, you'll know something went awry.

:banghead:
 
Back
Top Bottom