• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Crazy trick to WILDLY increase your EVO wireless speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, a dish does not serve to gather and focus signal? Lol. Maybe you should call all the satellite TV companies because they obviously didn't get the memo as every receiver they install has a dish. If that dish isn't to boost signal reception, why is it there?

Wow, and you can actually afford one of these phones all on your own?

You can't have a bidirectional antenna with just a reflecting dish. You'd need a collector. The analogy to satellite TV dishes is flawed because you only need to receive. Wifi requires back and forth transmissions, obviously.

The likelihood that your handmade reflector magically did all that without a real collector, and your phone was "awakened" is quite hard to accept from a scientific perspective.

What if, at the very moment your phone wifi speed improved, you swatted a fly? Would you then ask us all to kill flies because "somehow, it made a difference?"

Correlation does not imply causation. This is how all old wives' tales are born.

Upvote 0
No, that is not what I claimed. You're decription, application, and implimentation is wrong. The absolute fool remains you.

No, Its EXACTLY what he claimed... And it WORKS... I assume he chose to speak in laymen's terms so everyone would understand the point he was trying to make. Now you come in here and pretty much try to diss someone offering some help to other people and end up with foot in mouth disease... Your replies are all uber fails as is your arrogance....

And for someone claiming to have 10 years experience in RF comms, design, and installation, this "trick" is something you should have a firm grasp of....

Upvote 0
Oh ok google. Good, for you. You can find a bunch of other people that don't know what they're talking about! Congratulations.

Simple concept here, when dealing with wireless signals in the 2.4, 3.6 and 5Ghz ranges, adding an antenna made of a metallic, signal reflecting material has the propensity to increase the reception of a signal by a given amount.

I suspect the easiest way to visualize this is thinking of a flashlight...

If you take the parabolic reflector out of the flashlight and turn the bulb on, the light is not being directed and is being dispersed in an omnidirectional manner, thus, you are less able to point the light in a specific direction. Now, if you return the parabolic reflector to the flashlight, the bulb is still throwing that light out in an omnidirectional manner, but now the parabolic reflector is directing the light where you point the flashlight. Simply reverse this for signal reception....

It is exactly the same concept you are dealing with in regards to a wireless signal.

Now, someone had mentioned that there is no "collector" which is actually called an LNB (Low Noise Block Downconverter), this is flawed in that a "collector" (LNB) is not required for a signal reception. The "collector" (LNB) you are referring to actually has nothing to do with signal reception, per se, and is in fact simply there to convert the high frequency from the satellite transmission down to around 900Mhz.

One final example of this, the most basic one I am able to describe, put your hands behind your ears in a 'cup' shape and tell me if anything gets louder...

My final argument:

You can go online and buy aftermarket antennas for all manner of 802.11 devices, just look for some, and tell me what they look like... Maybe that will help you see the point here...

Upvote 0
One more thing I failed to mention, I am not certain how the Android OS handles this or not, but I have read in the past that certain phones (My old Nokia 6190) will recalibrate if there is a great enough signal change over a certain (relatively short) period of time. Again, I do not know if this is something the Android OS does, and I have not taken the time to do research about the specific OS, but it is certainly something to take into consideration.

Upvote 0
This reminds me of the small pieces of foil sold on Ebay to be placed on your phones battery and said to increase reception.

You can find these "antenna boosters" on Ebay for a few cents as none of them do anything. I got one free when I bought something else and it did nothing.

With regards to these little "money stealers" as I call them, I am sure that they are indeed catching some of the cellular towers transmission, however, they would need to be connected to the antenna port on the cellular phone to accomplish anything at all, which is why I laughed out loud the first time I saw one.

In comparing those things to a piece of aluminum foil redirecting the WiFi signal to the phones WiFi antenna, it is a completely different technology, and thus uses a different type of antenna to gather radio broadcasts.

You can't take a DirecTV antenna and connect it to your phone and expect to get signal, er... I suppose you could expect to get signal, it just will not happen, because radio signals operate on different frequencies and therefore require different (specialized) hardware to accomplish the task.

Since WiFi is designed to operate at a relatively low power, and is in effect, a sloppy broadcast, you can use a sloppy method to build an antenna. One simple example is the "Windsurfer" ( Ez-12 ) antenna, I made two of these for each of my WRT300N 802.11n router's antenna's, and experienced a signal boost of 10Db.

I have been told that the things I say come off as arrogant, I apologize if that is what it seems, it is certainly not what I intend, well, most of the time.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones