• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Daily Carry Items...

it gets even worse when you go back a bit and there are weapons that are fed FROM a magazine that can be loaded either manually or from a clip.

content: the gerber octane is a fantastic multitool. I highly recommend it over the smaller leatherman offerings.

I don't see why some people make such a big deal about others choosing to take advantage of the right to carry arms? If they choose to carry a gun to protects themselves and others when needed, then how does that bother you?

Some people act as if they are actually mad that people carry guns to protect themselves, like it is somehow interfering with their daily lives.. unless you're planning on robbing some of these people and are now angry to find out that they are concealing?

I don't see why some people make such a big deal about others choosing to take advantage of the right to carry arms? If they choose to carry a gun to protects themselves and others when needed, then how does that bother you?

Some people act as if they are actually mad that people carry guns to protect themselves, like it is somehow interfering with their daily lives.. unless you're planning on robbing some of these people and are now angry to find out that they are concealing?

Most of the time I think it is a misconception that an armed society is more dangerous than an unarmed one. Also, some people are just afraid of guns. They have never been around them and don't understand how they work. Then there are others that only view average people carrying guns as some kind of old west thing and that there will be shoot outs at high noon all the time.

My girlfriend was like that when we first started living together. She grew up in Italy and while she saw soldiers and police carrying guns, she never knew anyone personally that owned one. When we first moved in together I showed her where my guns were and she freaked out. It took a while to make her understand that a gun isn't anymore dangerous than the toaster in the kitchen. I took my Glock apart and let her hold each piece for a while before putting it back together. I explained how it works and what each part does. I think explaining that it is just like any other piece of machinery takes the mystery and fear out of it. Finally, she was able to hold it assembled and unloaded, then eventually loaded (nothing in the chamber) and we headed to a range and she started learning to shoot. She now owns a G26 and a carry license. We carry everyday now, it is just part of out lives.

I wish the "instant email notification" worked better for me, as I just received my notification today of these topic replies.

To those who believe that carrying a gun or any other weapon means that you can protect yourself in a robbery - have you actually researched this? There are numerous books written on the subject and most police officers will tell you that you are MORE LIKELY to be attacked IF you carry a weapon. This is a statistical fact. You are actually creating more of a danger FOR YOURSELF by carrying a weapon. Seems kind of silly don't you think?

There was one comment in particular that has deeply disturbed me. "...someone who decides to rob someone else is a bad person." That kind of mentality is what is hurting society. You have no understanding or compassion for the other person. There are 1001 reasons why someone might rob a person and each of those 1001 reasons could happen in YOUR LIFE. You cannot judge a person for a single event in their life and you certainly shouldn't cause harm to that person because you believe they are "bad".

As another poster mentioned, you are far more likely to die of health problems than be a victim of a violent crime. How many of you gun owners also smoke and eat red meat? :D

I wish the "instant email notification" worked better for me, as I just received my notification today of these topic replies.

To those who believe that carrying a gun or any other weapon means that you can protect yourself in a robbery - have you actually researched this? There are numerous books written on the subject and most police officers will tell you that you are MORE LIKELY to be attacked IF you carry a weapon. This is a statistical fact. You are actually creating more of a danger FOR YOURSELF by carrying a weapon. Seems kind of silly don't you think?

Actually, I have researched it quite a bit and nothing I have ever seen points to a person who carries/owns a firearm being more likely to be a victim. I actually find the idea to be rather absurd. Most statics that I have seen show the exact opposite of what you are claiming. It is has been shown over and over again that the violent crime rate drops dramatically when a state or city allows concealed carry. It also has shown that cities that put a ban on firearms all together have swift increase in violent crimes. Keep in mind that we are talking about the U.S. Statistics for any other country don't count as they do not have the same laws that we do.

I would like to see the statistics you are looking at because I believe them to be either highly inaccurate or outright falsehoods. Criminals prefer easy targets, most police will tell you that, and a person carrying a weapon is not an easy target. Also, how or why would a criminal know someone is carrying a concealed weapon? It is concealed and therefore not seen.

There was one comment in particular that has deeply disturbed me. "...someone who decides to rob someone else is a bad person." That kind of mentality is what is hurting society. You have no understanding or compassion for the other person. There are 1001 reasons why someone might rob a person and each of those 1001 reasons could happen in YOUR LIFE. You cannot judge a person for a single event in their life and you certainly shouldn't cause harm to that person because you believe they are "bad".

There are all types of people in the world in all types of situations. Some are doing great and some are doing terrible. Some of the people that are doing terrible will work harder to improve their situation while others will take the easy way out and try to rob another person to improve their situation. Personally, I view the the person trying to work harder as being good and the person willing to rob another as bad. Ok, they may not be a bad person all the way around, but they are doing bad things.

You say there are 1001 reasons why someone would rob another, but there is actually only 1. They need money and are willing to take from someone else to get it, the other 1000 reasons don't matter at that point. There is no gray area here and there is a reason it is against the law. If someone is willing to take from another person then they are breaking the law and they have made a decision to become a criminal. Criminals are generally not good people. Not being a good person generally makes you a bad person.

As another poster mentioned, you are far more likely to die of health problems than be a victim of a violent crime. How many of you gun owners also smoke and eat red meat? :D

True, health problems are probably more likely to kill someone than a violent crime, but smoking, drinking and/or eating crap are personal choices. It is a persons personal choice to live an unhealthy lifestyle and possibly die from it. It is not a personal choice to be robbed and killed by a criminal. That is the key difference, choice. I can choose to do things that may kill me, but I do not get a choice when it comes to violent crime. I can choose to have unprotected sex with multiple partners, but I cannot choose whether or not I am raped. Choice is the difference.

I am not really sure how you quantify this! How can carrying a weapon increase your likelihood of being attacked? If there are two people walking down the street similarly dressed and one has a concealed carry weapon and the other does not, how would the odds of the one with the weapon being attacked increase? Maybe you meant to phrase this a different way so I am not putting this on you personally, but that is extremely flawed logic!

If you were a criminal and you were given free rein to rob a home of your choosing on a specific street at a specific time and that street consisted of 5 homes and you were told ahead of time that in three of the homes there were registered gun owners and that they were free to defend themselves with any means necessary, what would you do? I don't know about you, but I would pass on the endeavor!

See here you completely lose me! How on earth can you arrive at the conclusion that someone who intends to threaten me with violence if I do not submit to their demands of taking my property is not a bad person? Is it really your contention that if someone tries to rob me or hurt me or someone I love, that I am to show them compassion and understanding? That if I don't, I am somehow to blame for societal ills? That it is my responsibility to turn the other cheek because they had it tough and this is the only solution for them? That I am to allow them to take from me or hurt me whether or not I submit to what they demand? Am I to allow them to harm me instead of trying to deter them or defend myself?

I do not know you and I cannot in good conscience dismiss someone who feels compassion for others, but walk a mile in another persons shoes first because you are judging those of us who have chosen to protect ourselves as you accuse us of judging those who intend to do us harm!

I always carry a purse...cause I carry way too much crap on me XD

-my N1
-big ass wallet (that my N1 can fit into)
-big ass makeup bag with the works
-umbrella (cause I hate the rain and don't want to be caught off guard)
-ipod nano
-book
-napkins pack
-hand sanitizer
-water bottle
-compact reusable bag
-flash light (cause I hate the dark)
-mini hair spray can (cause pepper sprays are illegal)
-travel sewing kit (for when I lose a button or the seam rips)
-home made travel first aid kit (for when I get hurt)
-granola/rice crispie bar (for when I'm hungry on the train)

with no evidence showing fact you are spreading falsities as fact when they are actually your own opinion. and a "statistically" incorrect one at that.
-please put up some links you say exist to your "facts".

here are some links i posted to facts....please have a view;
http://androidforums.com/politics-current-affairs/156361-somebody-robbed-me.html

just think, you may convince somebody to believe in your b.s. as fact and cause them to not protect themselves in a violent situation, simply because you ran your mouth about something you have yet to show any proof of.
at least offer a person on the fence the opportunity to view real facts as opposed to what is essentially diarrhea of your mouth.
especially when we are discussing something effecting a persons personnel safety.

on that note, we all wait patiently for your "facts".

I always carry a purse...cause I carry way too much crap on me XD

-my N1
-big ass wallet (that my N1 can fit into)
-big ass makeup bag with the works
-umbrella (cause I hate the rain and don't want to be caught off guard)
-ipod nano
-book
-napkins pack
-hand sanitizer
-water bottle
-compact reusable bag
-flash light (cause I hate the dark)
-mini hair spray can (cause pepper sprays are illegal)
-travel sewing kit (for when I lose a button or the seam rips)
-home made travel first aid kit (for when I get hurt)
-granola/rice crispie bar (for when I'm hungry on the train)

AMEN to the hand sanitizer! :p
I'm actually more terrified of germs than anything else!!

I think the anti-goober filter is enabled.

Uhmm.... no. Cite your 'statistical fact' because I want to see your source. Otherwise your fact is just another parroted urban legend from a group of scared cowards.

Really? You mean people who do the bad things aren't hurting society? It's people who are willing to defend themselves against the bad things that people do that is hurting society? Yeah, that makes sense. Sure, those 1001 things could happen and you since you don't know me you also don't know how my life has gone and it's safe to say that 999 of those things have happened in my life, especially early on and I CHOSE not to be a complete piece of sh!t. That's a choice anyone can make and I should know first hand... I've been there. It drives me nuts when bleeding hearts try to put themselves in their shoes and try to legislate based on the 'what ifs' and I'll tell you right now that if I'm robbing you at knife point... I hope you shot my ass dead. I'm no longer the man I strive to be and I would be a shame to my family if they were still around. Shoot me where I stand. Help society out. If someone means to do me, my family or someone else who is just as innocent harm then I have no problem protecting that innocent life over the life of the person who MADE their decision. That's what life is about, we all make decisions and some are poor. Some of those decisions involve life and death and that too is a fact of life. If someone consciously or unconsciously makes that decision and it puts MY life in danger... I'm making the decision to value my life more and I don't have a problem with that. My only concern is for the person such as yourself w/o the means to protect themselves who may be tortured, raped, maimed or killed because of their childlike ignorance to what really happens in the real world. Because when you're in that moment... it's already too late. Your life is now completely in the hands of some crackhead who doesn't value your life over the $20 in your pocket.

What a stupid argument. I bet you don't buckle your seatbelt or own a fire extinguisher because the odds of are in your favor if you don't... right?

Actually, I have researched it quite a bit and nothing I have ever seen points to a person who carries/owns a firearm being more likely to be a victim. I actually find the idea to be rather absurd. Most statics that I have seen show the exact opposite of what you are claiming. It is has been shown over and over again that the violent crime rate drops dramatically when a state or city allows concealed carry. It also has shown that cities that put a ban on firearms all together have swift increase in violent crimes. Keep in mind that we are talking about the U.S. Statistics for any other country don't count as they do not have the same laws that we do.

Clearly, you haven't tried to search for the data:

Does carrying a gun make you safer? Early research results suggest the opposite | cleveland.com

There are many more and as I mentioned, BOOKS written on the subject.

I'd like to point out the following quotes from that article, as I think they speak for themselves:

"The U.S. has a far higher per capita rate of gun violence than any other developed country, he said. If guns really made us safer, he said, "we should be the safest country on Earth."

"In Canada, for example, people own as many shotguns and rifles as Americans but far fewer handguns, and Canada has about 10 percent of the U.S. rate of gun violence."

"His results, he said, show that guns did not, on average, protect those who possessed them from being shot in an assault -- and in fact raised the risk by four times or more."

Guns are not a tool for safety or peace. We need to build peaceful communities, rather than try to combat the problem it with weapons.

"In Canada, for example, people own as many shotguns and rifles as Americans but far fewer handguns, and Canada has about 10 percent of the U.S. rate of gun violence."

Something you might not realize...Canada only has about 10% of the US POPULATION!!!! O.o So the number somehow correlates to me.

Boo. A few germs would do you some good.

I tend to agree with this. My wife is almost always sick and I almost never get sick. She's a germ-a-phobe and I'm anything but. My theory is that some germs/bacteria strengthens your immune system and so far I haven't met anyone who disproves this theory... one way or the other.

Back on topic.

Guns are good! :D

Does carrying a gun make you safer? Early research results suggest the opposite | cleveland.com

I'd like to point out the following quotes from that article, as I think they speak for themselves:

"The U.S. has a far higher per capita rate of gun violence than any other developed country, he said. If guns really made us safer, he said, "we should be the safest country on Earth."

"His results, he said, show that guns did not, on average, protect those who possessed them from being shot in an assault -- and in fact raised the risk by four times or more."

Guns are not a tool for safety or peace. We need to build peaceful communities, rather than try to combat the problem it with weapons.

This is just foolish. We also have the richest people and laziest people in the world. These two types of people combined create a breeding ground for crime. If this person's 'facts' were so accurate how come Chicago's violent crime rate has more than doubled every year since they made owning a handgun illegal and yet states that have recently allowed concealed weapon permits by law abiding citizens have all experienced a DECREASE in violent crime?

I tend to agree with this. My wife is almost always sick and I almost never get sick. She's a germ-a-phobe and I'm anything but. My theory is that some germs/bacteria strengthens your immune system and so far I haven't met anyone who disproves this theory... one way or the other.

Back on topic.

Guns are good! :D

Hand sanitizers are as closely related to the OP as guns were :p

Yeah it's a pretty popular theory with biologists that the human immune system needs exposing to all kinds of pathogens if you want it to develop properly. That's (supposedly) why allergies are way more common, now that we're much more hygienic.

Something you might not realize...Canada only has about 10% of the US POPULATION!!!! O.o So the number somehow correlates to me.

Funny, I always look at PER CAPITA statistics when comparing two countries as it's the only accurate way to get data.

Having said that, it looks like Canadians have 18% of murders from firearms compared to Americans, not 10%. There's no denying what the USA has done isn't working. More guns do not equal less crime.

This is my last post on this forum. I know that you guys will protect your right to carry guns with everything you've got. I hope violence never touches your lives.

Hand sanitizers are as closely related to the OP as guns were :p

Yeah it's a pretty popular theory with biologists that the human immune system needs exposing to all kinds of pathogens if you want it to develop properly. That's (supposedly) why allergies are way more common, now that we're much more hygienic.

It's not just a theory and is quickly moving towards fact. My good buddy is a biochemist and I get to hear all of the scary stuff in the world. All of these anti-biotic resistant bugs that are so dangerous are the direct cause of overuse of antibiotics and sanitizers. That guy is probably the smartest person I know and that's saying something so what he says on the topic, I listen to.

Ok, back on topic.

guns=good
hippies=bad

I hope violence never touches your lives.

...that's the problem. You're 'hoping' for lack of violence. I'm preparing myself for the instance in which it may happen so that I can neutralize the violence before it makes me a victim. I refuse to be at the mercy of some two-bit thug so if he chooses to come after me he's barking up the wrong tree and likely won't live to find the 'right three' next time. That poor tree being someone like someone's grandma who is a selfless person who doesn't deserve to be the victim of a violent crime.

I think you are ignoring large amounts of that article to satisfy your own opinion.

From the link you posted:
For this study, he and his colleagues relied on the cooperation of police to get information on shootings in Philadelphia between 2003 and 2006 -- a total of 3,485.

The researchers got information as the shootings occurred -- the location, the victims' description and whether they had guns with them at the time.

Researchers randomly chose 677 of those victims for the study. They came from various occupations -- taxi drivers, bartenders, nurses and drug dealers. Fifty-three percent had criminal records. Six percent had guns with them when they were shot.

53% had criminal records? Only 6% had guns on them when they were killed? Drug dealers? These are not the average person we are talking about.

The controls were actually equally likely to have a gun with them, but more than 80 percent of them were at home at the time of the incident -- a big possible difference -- and many more people own guns than carry them. Only 9 percent of the victims were home when they were shot. Most were outdoors.

80% were at home in the control? How does this relate to concealed carry?

But several statisticians not involved in the gun research said you can't reach such sweeping conclusions with this kind of study. "There are some sketchy things going on here," said J. Michael Oakes, a sociologist at the University of Minnesota who reviewed the study at The Philadelphia Inquirer's request.

Studies that compare cases with controls were designed to look at cancer, he said.

"The foundation of the case control study is the sense that those who are the cases are exactly the same as those who are in the control group," he said. Here, Branas is assuming the people who were shot were no more likely to have guns than a group of controls of the same gender and racial mix. "It's a big stretch," he said.

Economist Jens Ludwig of the University of Chicago expressed similar reservations. "They can't tease out whether guns are contributing to assault or assault risk is contributing to gun ownership," he said.

Criminologist Gary Kleck of Florida State University said the Penn results can be explained by the fact that people who are at risk of being shot are also more likely to buy or carry guns. Such people might have dangerous jobs or belong to a street gang or be involved in the illicit drug trade, for example.

Adding corrections for race, neighborhood, sex and even drug trade ties, as Branas did, "doesn't alter the underlying flaw in the reasoning," Kleck said.

In an e-mail, Kleck explained his view with an analogy. "It is precisely as if medical researchers found that insulin use is more common among persons who suffer from diabetes than among those who are not diabetic (something that is most assuredly true), and concluded that insulin use raises one's risk of diabetes."

Maybe you and I read things differently, but it doesn't appear that this study had much merit and many of the people who looked at it didn't thinks so either.

More guns do not equal less crime.

I agree with you 100% there, but the reverse of that is not the same thing. Less guns will equal more crime, in the US at least.

This is my last post on this forum.

I find that rather unfortunate and I am not sure why you feel that way. We are having a simple discussion. If you expected to post what you did and have everyone agree with you, then I'm sorry, but that will never happen.

I know that you guys will protect your right to carry guns with everything you've got. I hope violence never touches your lives.

Thank you and I hope violence never touches your's. However, I've already had violence in mine and it is one of the reasons that I carry a gun.

Canadians are in absolute awe at our gun laws. They are banned in Canada.

When our relatives from Canada come down to visit we tell them stories about our gun laws (that you can carry them around public, etc.) and they look and react like frightened little kittens.

99% of them haven't held a gun in their lives and it's just part of Canada's culture to be against guns which may be why wmtoandroid is offended.

Unfortunately, if guns became illegal in the U.S., there would be huge problems. It's simply unfeasible. And you aren't going to beat down the NRA + constitution anyways. The duo is too strong.

Edit:

I have both Canadian and U.S (Dual) citizenship so no this wasn't intended to offend any Canadians.

This by far has to be one of the most idiotic statements I have ever read. Someone robbing another person is a bad person, end argument. Life happens, sh!t happens, that isn't an excuse to go out and hold someone up at gunpoint/knife point and take what belongs to them, so yes, I will judge that person that is attempting to cause me harm and is threatening my life and I will also judge the person that is threatening violence upon another human being. They are a bad person. Maybe we should try an experiment. You walk down the street with a sign saying robbers aren't bad people and I wont judge you for robbing me, I'll walk down another street with a sign saying I carry a gun, I am proficient with said gun and I have no qualms about using a gun to protect myself and lets see which one criminals prefer to go after.

Hell, using your argument the young man that hit the trunk release and ran from the trunk of a car across burning hot asphalt in Phoenix AZ summer temperatures bleeding profusely from his face and neck and stumbling because he had duct tape wrapped around his mouth and arms while being chased by four thugs in the middle of the afternoon less than 2 blocks away from a charter school that I happened to come across as it happened, well, I guess I shouldn't have hopped out of my truck gun drawn spare mag already in hand, 911 on the phone with my wife. I guess you would have preferred at that point that I pull out a guitar and sing koombaya or break out some Bob Marley and try to talk it out with the guys that robbed, beat, kidnapped, then were driving out to the desert to dump this guy huh?

Yeah no thanks... I'll take my guns and I'll take my situational awareness and I'll raise you that I have no qualms judging someone that has no reservations about trying to take something from me or cause me harm. You go on and hug it out with the criminals that are robbing you, please come back and let us know how it works out for you. ;)

NeighborNotArmed.jpg

GunControlWorks.jpg
gun-control-rapist-aids-poster.jpg
gun_control_tshirt-p235034458532005991qn8v_400.jpg
gun+control+-+18.jpg
gun+control+-+1.jpg

416049_f520.jpg

Back
Top Bottom