• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Desire HD Battery Thread

At first I thought my battery life was terrible. But now I look into it its not that bad tbf, considering what the phone does.

Battery Level: 54%
Since unplugged: 21h 20m
Awake time: 3h 30m - most of which was using Wi-Fi, playing games (AB) texting and calling.

So I'm pretty happy. Tips? I would say just make sure that after using Wi-Fi/Bluetooth etc turn it off. Set screen brightness low and also uninstall any unused apps/widgets. They can always be installed again if needed.

Upvote 0
I get about 30 hours of battery life with medium amount of browsing. Im fine with that.

However I have a problem and I suspect theres many of us with the same problem, but they just dont know it. Im using about 97% CPU load all the time !!! If someone would figure out this problem, which I have described in more detail here , I bet many of us would improve our battery life substantially.

Upvote 0
Well... I've kept the phone ;)

Been back at work for 2 days now and things have gone well. Played on the phone a lot last night and decided to charge it fully for this morning so I can really see how it will manage at work.

So far, so good. The battery appears to be stretching it's legs properly now.

10 hours unplugged and 75% battery left.

Today I have sent a few texts, made a couple of calls, browsed tinterweb for a bit, played a game a bit etc.

I wouldn't say it's heavy use, however it is realistic for what I want the phone for. I think getting a laptop for xmas may be the phones saving grace with regards to battery use in an evening :D

Either way, my scabby little blackberry would be flashing by now after a day off charge.

Upvote 0
Just got 3 days of standby with minimal usage (mails and twitter two or three times a day).
HOWEVER, WLAN was on half of the time, auto sync on, but only gmail push mail (no fb/twitter).

Now, went from 94% do 76% in a bit more than 22hrs! WLAN on all the time, syncing gmail same as above, display on 45mins, checked some news using Pulse and twitter.

I'm really pleased with battery life since last OTA update.

One thing to note: I have USB debugging OFF. I haven't seen /INIT problems since the update.

So, to sum my settings up:
WLAN: ON ~50% of time (while at home)
Network: GSM while WLAN is on, switch to 3G when needed
Syncing: ON when WLAN - gmail only. Social updates manually
Display: 25% 15sec, switch to automatic when in sunlight.
Almost no widgets, 4 home screens completely empty.

Upvote 0
Well, I took the plunge and got a DHD, had it since the 12th Dec and I love it. I charged/discharged it for the first few days, then went through and switched the things off that I didn't need. Downloaded some apps and widgets, inc the ones that sit on the home screen and switch Bluetooth, GPS and WiFi on and off.
I'm still playing with it, plus quite a bit of texting, few calls, bit of gaming etc and my battery has just lasted 3 days 13 hrs between charges. Don't really need email nor internet much, as I sit in front of a computer all day (and if you believe my wife most of the night). I don't always get a good signal at home and I'm sure that doesn't help my battery life, but overall I'm quite happy with it.
My only disappointment is with the volume of some things such as videos played through the speaker and some downloaded tones that worked fine with my Nokia 5800. I thought that there was a problem with it until I realised that the startup sound and the supplied ringtones have plenty of volume. Connecting an external speaker improved things a lot.

Upvote 0
I have had my DHD for just over a month and the battery has never lasted more than 15 hours. I have tried various tips from the forum but have had no luck.

I have a stock phone on Vodafone UK running the latest build.

Uptime Length: (How Long your battery lasted) - From 7.0am - 10:30pm (15.5 hours) < 10% battery left
Accelerator: On
3G Or 2G: Strong 3G at work, 2G at home
Wireless On: Yes at home
GPS On: No
Automatic Brightness: No - Set to around 20%

Misc: I have Gmail on autosync, mail on 30 minute sync 7am-7pm, all others on 12 hour sync.

I play several games for a max of 30 minutes and use the ebook reader for about 30 minutes daily. I also run CardioTrainer which uses the GPS and music for 30 minutes every few days.

I did have live wallpapers, stock ones from HTC, but have just switched to a static wallpaper.

I charge the phone every night and leave it charging until morning. Also I have Airplane Autoswitch running which switches Airplane Mode on from 11pm to 6am.

If anyone has any tips then I would appreciate it as it is a great phone, but I can't use it to its full potential.

After a little reading around I switched on the USB debugging and the battery life dramatically improved.

I now get:

Uptime Length: (How Long your battery lasted) - From 7.0am - 9:30pm (26.5 hours) < 10% battery left
3G Or 2G: Strong 3G at work, 2G at home
Wireless On: Yes at home
Automatic Brightness: Yes

I have installed Battery Left and get a much more accurate picture of battery usage with a optimistic quote of what time the phone will run out of battery.

I am now happy that I can use all the features without being too far from a charger, as I know when the battery gets to around 20% a have a few hours left. Well as long as I don't play Angry Birds (that seems to eat the battery).

On a side note if I use the charger that came with the phone the battery is fully charged in a couple of hours. However, when I use the charger from my old HTC Touch Diamond2 with a micro USB cable (not HTC) it has taken all day. I guess the cable is not very good.

Upvote 0
I think we have to give HTC a good thumbs up with the recent update as battery performance has been much improved without having to look for mass tweaks.

As any mobile phone, depending where you are at the time, will depend on also how much power in db is sent to aquire your mobile signal..the more power used, the more battery used.

Thats something sadly, not many of us can fix unless you can carry a wireless hotspot in your pocket that connects to a mobile network

Upvote 0
I&#8217;m just getting to grips with the phone at the moment – customizing etc. Anyway the battery life is appalling! You can&#8217;t defend the life of the battery, I&#8217;m sorry, but it&#8217;s really THAT bad. Anyway&#8230;

Uptime Length: 6hrs 35min and counting&#8230;.
3G Or 2G: No network at the moment as can&#8217;t get signal here
Wireless On: Yes
Automatic Brightness: No – it&#8217;s way below 50%, probably about 30% odd. It&#8217;s dark but not too hard.

I have about 20% battery life left and breakdown is display 44% standby 43%.

Not good enough. You should be able to be out of the house for a whole day (at least 8-9 hours) being able to use the applications on your phone and not having to worry about your battery dying.

Upvote 0
I&#8217;m just getting to grips with the phone at the moment – customizing etc. Anyway the battery life is appalling! You can&#8217;t defend the life of the battery, I&#8217;m sorry, but it&#8217;s really THAT bad. Anyway&#8230;

Uptime Length: 6hrs 35min and counting&#8230;.
3G Or 2G: No network at the moment as can&#8217;t get signal here
Wireless On: Yes
Automatic Brightness: No – it&#8217;s way below 50%, probably about 30% odd. It&#8217;s dark but not too hard.

I have about 20% battery life left and breakdown is display 44% standby 43%.

Not good enough. You should be able to be out of the house for a whole day (at least 8-9 hours) being able to use the applications on your phone and not having to worry about your battery dying.

I am able to, charge mine every night, same as I did with my iPhone 3G, sounds like your battery may be duff or maybe it's the lack of signal causing the issue as it'll be constantly trying to find one (I'm guessing)

Upvote 0
It is very encouraging to hear that some people are getting good battery life out of the Desire HD. I am going to get one of these when they are released on Telus here in Canada and my only concern was for the battery life but I dont think it should be an issue.

I have no problem with charging my phone every night. I currently have a BB Storm 2 (dont hold it against me lol) and people have reported getting horendous battery life out of those things but I never have a problem getting throught the day.

I think one of the biggest determining factors for people who have their phones configured right is network coverage. I notice on my phone that it will drain way faster when I have 100+db coverage as compared to very little drain at 80db network coverage.

Anyway cant wait to get one of these beauties in the next month or so.

Upvote 0
Hi guys,
me and my sister both bought the desire hd about a month ago.
I plugged it in for about 8-9 hours while off the first time and so did my sister.
The first week or so,the battery on mine lasted ten hours max.This is partly because I replaced my laptop with it!Mail checking,facebook,twitter,casual surfing,msn,skype,apps downloading and installing,customizing etc etc.Screen was on for approximately 4 hours everyday.
During the second week,the battery lasted for about 16-17 hours of heavy use.Wifi on when at home(about 8 hours),screen on for about 3-4 hours,out of which 2 hours or so where dedicated to gaming so the gpu worked a lot.I had my cousins over for 3 days so the games where a good way to distract them when in the car.
Calls for about 1.5 hours per day and about 30-40 texts coming and going.
3g always off as I don't use it.(Plenty of wifi hotspots at coffee shops so when I need to check something I stand stand outside a starbucks or something).Gps mostly off as I do not use it much.Radio on for 1 hour.Accelerator on and off at will because I text or e-mail when in bed.Screen is at 25% and saver at 30% of battery.
All in all,my battery has lasted up to a good 23 hours with medium use and around 16 hours with super heavy use.
My sister's phone lasts for 26 hours with heavy use though!I have no idea how this is achieved.Wifi on,3g on,calls,texts,games,mail etc etc and the battery works like a beast!!Not a clue about it.
Both phones have been ota updated and there is a difference in battery performance since then.
However,I cannot complain about battery much since the phone,is simply,amazing.The browsing experience is excellent partly due to the massive screen and partly because hardware/software power.Games look fantastic,music playback is decent(although I'd like the speaker to be a bit louder),and the looks are the best.The only real disadvantage is the speaker but it is totally something i can live with.I now use about 3-5% per hour on medium use and 7-8% on heavy use.On idle it is about 0,7% per hour.
A better battery would be welcome.
Cheers

Upvote 0
just made a new account to post my reply here
i have my desire hd for 3 days now and i must say that i was hugely disappointed in the battery life of the phone
but now since i turned on the usb debugging the battery life life lasts ALOT longer
i charged it fully in 3 hours this morning and now 10 hours later it has over 50% left
did some browsing on the interwebz and played some angry birds, send like 10 text messages and 3 phone calls. even have the weather/clock app on the front which syncs too...
have tweaked some settings but they are generally standard (gave some sync's longer intervals and turned the htc sense too manually ), turned off wifi too. don't use facebook or twitter so that saves me some battery too...

but i want to know if anyone tried out the mugen 1300 mAh battery for the desire HD?
because i wish to know if the 70 increase in mAh really can make that much of a difference as mugen wants you to believe

Upvote 0
If I do a update check on my DHD it says there is none.. 2.2 remains. I asked HTC and they denied there is a 2.2.1 update for DHD

HTC wrote:
---
Thank you for contacting HTC.
HTC still didn't confirm with us about any rom updates for the htc desire HD
as soon their is any confirmation about the updates we will contact you
---

What gives? Can i update this some other way and not via OTA?

Upvote 0
My phone has been unplugged for 7 hours (since this morning) and the battery has just gone yellow. So what, 20% batt left?

Display 53%, Cell standby 36%.

WiFi is on (only way I can get data at work as no mobile connection)
Screen brightness is 30%
Advanced Task Killer Free + Juice Defender Free running
No calls made
No texts
A couple of WhatsApp messages sent
One Facebook update made this morning
Checked e-mail maybe half a dozen times
Listened to literally 4 minutes of music messing around with 2 music players to no avail

No games played, no Bluetooth, no GPS, no auto-brightness etc.

Upvote 0
If you have no signal FOR THE LOVE OF JEBUS turn airplane mode on, your phone will be franticly searching for a network signal and chomping through your battery

Thanks for this. I was trying to find an option to turn off signal - I didn't realise all I needed was airplane mode. It says turns all wireless connections off - I thought it would kill my WiFi.

Upvote 0
C*
If I do a update check on my DHD it says there is none.. 2.2 remains. I asked HTC and they denied there is a 2.2.1 update for DHD

HTC wrote:
---
Thank you for contacting HTC.
HTC still didn't confirm with us about any rom updates for the htc desire HD
as soon their is any confirmation about the updates we will contact you
---

What gives? Can i update this some other way and not via OTA?

Just got my DHD...hart dun last a day..ppl here are talking about this ota Thing...improve their batt...any idea how to get it??thanks....

Upvote 0
I got my handset the day it came out( Oct 2010) as part of an upgrade from 3(although its unbranded which was amazing considering it was from 3).

Please remember this is a Heavy duty device!!

When you first get your phone its obvious the battery will drain quickly as you are using/playing/messing around with it all the time.
Once you have tweaked/calibrated the handset you should get some decent results even after heavy use.

One of the most important things is setting debugging mode to on.
Debugging mode is usually used for developers so they can debug any issues with their software and also assists in prolonging the life of your battery.
Also i've seen the issue regarding debugging on most's posts for the HTC Desire HD.

Calibrating your battery:
a) Charge till full when powered on
b) Power off
c) Charge till full again
d) Boot into recovery wipe stats
e) Boot and continue to use as normal
f) Then put your hand on your head and turn around and say the words Charge,Charge ,Charge!!

Who knows if the above method really works, but if a lot of people are posting this method then there must be some validity to it!!

I now average 24-36hrs after doing the following:

1) Brightness 66%
2) Light Grid live wallpaper
3)20-30 calls(10 using loudspeaker)
4) sent 100 texts (5 X 20 recipients)
5)Wifi off( but on when required) Get a power bar widget from the market
6)Mobile internet off(but on when required)
7)HTC sync off(but on when required)
8)GPS off(but on when required)
9) screen set to turn off after 30 seconds
10) all seven screens used Calender, friends stream, messaging & E-mail widgets, power bars and music widgets.
11) signal for 3 in my area is awful(That also drains batteries)
12) played Games mainly Gameloft HD games for about 45 mins to 1 hour( a big battery killer)

I'm well pleased with the phone as its capable of so much. Basically its a walking computer with so many attributes.
So what i'm trying to say is USE/PLAY and most of all enjoy the phone, thats the reason we all got it in the first place!

Sorry i've got to go as i am getting a bit teary eyed!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones