• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[DEV] Sprint ROMs on Virgin Mobile - Think tank!

b_randon14

Android Expert
Okay so I recently got this phone in and was very pleased when the one click stock rom was dropped for this phone. Now that we have a fail-safe way back to stock kernel/rom/modem this means an open door with experimenting. I still have to wait a week or so to activate my phone as its making me leave my grandfathered plan and I still have like 2 weeks left on my ol plan so I'm not gonna go extreme with flashing just yet.

But with the drop of the sprint FK23 jellybean rom, its got me wondering:

I know mms doesn't work on sprint roms but what all else doesn't 3g/4g?

I have also seen a fix for Samsung based roms on Boost by changing the mmsc URL and stuff through the data menu.

Basically I wanting to find out what all we meed to change in sprint roms to get them to work on virgin mobile. Like changing apns for instance.

I know they will still have sprint bloat and stuff like virgin mobiles activate and possibly visual voicemail won't work, but if anyone who has Ben on a sprint rom can confirm what all doesn't work, I would like to look into seeing what needs to be done to get sprint based roms fit for virgin mobile!

Thanks all!

If you go by the EVO roms it's just things in the build prop that are what you need to change.

I had an evo and a big problem with flashing sprint roms was mms not working. Even after changing the apns etc. Hopefully it's different for this phone and we just need to do a few quick settings changes.

I'm also wondering what kind of issues we would run into using sprint touchwiz based kernels. I know as far as kernel source goes, there is very little difference between ours and sprints and boosts. I'm wondering about the ram disk though.

When I get a chance I will pull apart some of the custom sprint kernels and compare the ram disks!

So I ballsed up last night and flashed the kuban kernel for the epic 4g touch with Odin. Its works! And my phone isn't activated so I can't say about 3g or 4g but wifi works. I'm still testing it our but it seems to run very good!! Plus it has a lot of neat features.

I am getting this phone for xmas so, would love to see/be able to maybe even someday learn how to convert roms, been useing a rooted virgin mobile intercept for about 2 yrs now, just jumped in rooting after a week of having the thing, but with that there are lots of roms out there for it, just played around with it till i got it working xD, have to have the root so i can tether the wifi out, only way i am able to get online at home

So I ballsed up last night and flashed the kuban kernel for the epic 4g touch with Odin. Its works! And my phone isn't activated so I can't say about 3g or 4g but wifi works. I'm still testing it our but it seems to run very good!! Plus it has a lot of neat features.

Anxious to hear how it works when its activated! How exciting! :)

Also, I'm new to this kind of phone so I have a question. If I understand correctly the kernel and recovery are in one package? Or is that always the case? When you flash this overclock kernel does it affect, change, or replace the recovery? In my case, the Agats?

Also, I'm new to this kind of phone so I have a question. If I understand correctly the kernel and recovery are in one package? Or is that always the case? When you flash this overclock kernel does it affect, change, or replace the recovery? In my case, the Agats?

No, I think kernel and recovery are different. Agats will still be your recovery if you decide to flash the kuban kernel.

And if you flash kuban kernel you get kuban recovery however his recovery is nearly identical to agats which are all based on cwm 5.

And yes unfortunately the way this phone is, the recovery and kernel have to be packed together. But kubans recovery should be compatible with agats as he built his recovery off of agats!

And if you flash kuban kernel you get kuban recovery however his recovery is nearly identical to agats which are all based on cwm 5.

And yes unfortunately the way this phone is, the recovery and kernel have to be packed together. But kubans recovery should be compatible with agats as he built his recovery off of agats!

Thanks, man!
That is great. I'm gonna try it! Do you have a link to this kernel so I can be assured I am downloading the correct one?

Go to xda and under epic 4g touch original Android development there is a post for kuban kernel and its by a guy named ruels something or something like that. Download the Odin one! Agats custom kernel is there too!

I don't recommend over clocking the gpu to 400mhz or pushing the CPU to 1600mhz. While bench marking I had it freeze on me with either the gpu pushed this high on quadrant and with the CPU pushed that high on linpack.

Also you will need to download extweaks from the market it has a lot if cool features to use with this kernel!

Back
Top Bottom