• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Dorimanx kernel - Dummies Guide

Querred the pitch.

Oh, that. It was an expression used by one of my masters... one of many actually. The only reason I put a link to it was that I knew it was a British expression that some, outside the UK, might not be familiar with. Mater and pater would be pleased that I did not totally squander my education... apart from Human Biology, (practical), that is. ;)

Same here for me last night. Looks like something's changed in LSD vs LS8 that adversly affects v7.47.

Thanks Slug! At least I now know that it not just me losing the plot. I had problems with Dori 7.46 and 7.47 on LS8 as well, inasmuch as I could not flash another kernel over Dori and boot up successfully. I had to restore my original LS8+PhilZ nandroid before flashing, say, Jeboo. I had no problems at all with Dori on LSJ though.

Upvote 0
Coming back to Siyah v6.0beta4 was like putting on a comfy pair of slippers!

I hadn't used Siyah since before Christmas as it was, "work-in-progress", from the developer, gokhanmoral. Since gokhanmoral no longer owns an SGSII and is busy with other projects, it meant that this could be a long wait. However, he had established the basics for this kernel and it was up-and-running.

Dorimanx then took on the mantle and started firing out Siyah-Dorimanx kernels, based on this, at a high rate of knots. In the main, these kernels added the, "fripperies", and flourishes to gokhanmoral's original, core, kernel. STweaks went from a scant half-a-dozen screens to about a dozen or more with all Dorimanx's add-on's and tweaks... half of which, I must confess, that I either do not understand fully or use.

IMHO, Dorimanx has fallen into the trap that gokhanmoral got himself into with the Gingerbread, Siyah, 2.6.2, kernel. That is, he has tried to please everyone and add in everything that posters requested.

For gokhanmoral this had the effect of turning the Siyah 2.6.2 kernel in to a behemoth that took on a life of its own and required 3 or 4 external app's to make it work and a multitude of settings for those app's. So much so, that I had to publish a Dummies Guide to try and make sense of this one kernel and help posters with their settings. It meant that one had to almost configure one's phone around the kernel and its app's rather than the other way round.

It was at this point that gokhanmoral had an epiphany and realised that, "less-was-more", and his future releases did not rely so heavily on a multitude of settings and app's and he turned instead to ensuring that he got the basics right and that it ran on the most ROM's with the least problems.

This brings me to the latest Dorimanx releases of the Siyah, base, kernel. There are loads of features in the STweaks for Dorimanx 7.43, 7.44, 7.45, 7.46 and 7.47 that posters have requested and demanded and it has, like the Siyah 2.6.2, taken on a life of its own and, IMHO, become another behemoth.

For someone new to the kernel it offers a bewildering array of settings which all interact with one another and offer specific features. I, for one, admit that I do not fully understand all of them and therefore take the easy way out... I go straight to Profiles in STweaks and select extreme_battery profile and then, because I use it, BLN, (Back Light Notification), as I find this very useful as for about a two thirds of the day my phone is on Silent.

It also means that each of these new features has to be made to work and interact with the kernel and allows more margin for error and can cause problems for the user.

The last Dorimanx kernel that I felt happy with was v7.43. Since then I have experienced problems with the various subsequent releases. Whether it be lagging, poor battery life, inability to switch kernels, wakelocks or, in the case of v7.47, the inability to boot at all on the JB LSD.

Please, do not get me wrong, I really do appreciate all of Dorimanx's time and effort that he invests in trying to bring us a kernel par excellence and I do not doubt his abilities but I do think he may have lost sight of the, "K.I.S.S.", principle and, as gokhanmoral discovered, sometimes less is more.

As can be seen from the forum here, posters are drifting away from the latest Dorimanx release and trying the, essentially, stock PhilZ and Jeboo kernels or the fairly basic but efficient, Speedmod. Some, like me, are re-discovering Siyah, albeit a beta version, but one that offers a few pages of STweaks that the user can configure to their usage fairly quickly. OK... so it does not have pre-configured Profiles but If I want battery savings I go for Conservative+noop or, for Performance, I choose Ondemand+sio. It also does not have Backup and Restore but I have found that I could not, or dare not, use these between the various Dorimanx releases as they caused problems and I therefore used GS2KernelWipe for each new iteration.

The proof of the pudding, as they say, is in the eating... and for me, this has manifested itself in the last 24 hours on Siyah 6.0b4 with 25% battery left.

I cannot stress enough, that this is in no way intended as a, "go", at Dorimanx who works very hard on our behalf and is someone that I have happily donated to by way of thanks and recognition for his talent, support and hard work. Rather, it is an attempt to explain some of the myriad of problems and choices facing him.

I will, of course, be up for the next Dorimanx release! ;)

Upvote 0
Dorimanx kernel v7.48 is now up! :)

"New Kernel 7.48 major update!

this kernel was tested and developed using ROOTBOX 3.7.1 + last nightly build
by me and alucard, voku was testing on CM ROM.

Change Log:

*Updated to 3.0.66 main stream patch.
*Updated Linaro 13.1 kernel builder, gcc 4.7.3
*Fixed WIFI HotSpot for JB SAMMY ROMS.
*Alucard made huge update to nightmare gov! now it's default gov!
*Tuned CPU voltages some pulled from JB SAMMY SOURCE.
*Updated MMC from JB SAMMY SOURCE.
*Updated CORE + MEM + LOOP from 3.8.Y main stream! (many many commits!)
*Voku ported NET updates + tuning.
*Updated all drivers including MODEM, SENSORS, BOARD, and more. from JB SAMMY SOURCE.
*Fixed touch screen choppiness for China/Korean models.
*Voku polled updates to ROW I/O sched, now it's DEFAULT.
*I have tuned all I/O Govs back to defaults to gain stability.
*We made big cleanup to CPU code and removed freqs 1052 and 1152
now we have from 100mHz to 1.0Ghz by 50mHZ step, and from 1.0Ghz to 1.6Ghz by 100mHz step.
*Wifi driver was been updated from exynos 3.4.y kernel + fixed battery drain on sleep + restored normal operation using mail apps that use PUSH.
*More updates to EXT4 driver and friends.
*Reduced modem wakelock timeout by half.
*Voku ported updates to ZRAM compression algorithm. "snappy"
*Tuned pegasusq and ported changes from JB SAMMY SOURCE.
*We now have official Memory Hole Fix(root hack) from JB SAMMY SOURCE.
*Fixed lost data on reboot, now all that written to storage gets stored in less than 30 sec. so no data lost any more.
*GM made fix for SOUND driver, now we have 100% support for JB SAMMY.
*GM made fix for HOME KEY, now we can switch from JB SAMMY to CM/AOKP and no need to worry about home key fix!
no more BUG if switching from my kernel to other! BIG thanks to GM for hard work!
*GM fixed power saving mode for JB SAMMY ROMS.
*I have pulled updates from CM-KERNEL: configuration partial sync.
*Alucard ported FIFO I/O Sched Gov, it's even more simple than NOOP, it's FAST and battery saving, but not fully tested, so it's exist but not used by default.
*Updated SuperSU+SU to 1.05 by ChainFire!
*New Support for XWLSD + JHLS4 + XXMS1 + ZCLSF + ZCLSH + XWLSE JB SAMMY NEW ROMS!
*Added check and FIX for secondary ROM images before booting sec rom.
*Voku made new tuning to NET in cortex.
*Voku refactored KSM mod.
*Alucard made A lot of new options for GOVS in STweaks and Cortex.
*Added Boot Booster tweak to gain faster BOOT. see STweaks.
*New Low Mem profiles and tuning by voku!
*Tuned Cortex, removed bugs and set new tuning + sleep/awake tuning.
Now if you TALK on the phone, cortex will not enter to sleep mode and wait till you done, this to prevent too much workload if screen turn on/off many time as we move the phone when talking!
*Improved wake up booster, now works good and set power up tuning for delayed time, then set to normal.
*Ported CM10.1 INIT changes from last Rootbox ROM default kernel.
*Released 7MB to total RAM. now we have 785MB RAM. heavy HD movies will not play as smooth as was on new mali roms! (CM/AOKP), play them on PC or DVD
*Fixed all STweaks options and profiles! now all saved and exist after reboot as set by USER. or me if default.
*Now all EXTRA kernel Modules are not enabled by default! new TAB in STweaks will allow to load them on next boot! so if you need them, see that TAB.
*Tuned VM Ram and other settings to have good stability.
*Added Check for all partitions that tell you if you have errors in you system! it's not fixing them! see DEBUG tab in STweaks, also will add this info in debug log!
*Fixed CronTab for JB SAMMY ROMS!

Know bugs!:

You cant dual boot JB SAMMY ROM with CM/AOKP/JB SAMMY! = not supported yet.
WIFI hotspot is broken with CM ROMS and all that Ported from CM.

If you have many apps moved to SDCARD, on boot you may see warning that system is not responding! just click WAIT! and forget about it.
this is something new that i need to fix, came with ROM updates. on old roms no problem.

on last rootbox rom, wifi toggle is not working! and if you have external app to toggle, some times it's not ON from first time. this is ROM bug.
on others should be OK.
also ROM may HOTBOOT, it's some mem leak that will be fixed by ROM DEV.
"

Source, here.

Download, here.

UPDATE Amended version uploaded at 10.39pm GMT 22 FEB

TOP TIP: Make a nandroid backup before flashing this kernel. ;)

Upvote 0
Maybe once i will do the job if u don`t mind lads :)

Kernel 7.49 Tuning Patch!

i have found that kernel tuning was not as expected.
now i have retuned based on real linux system,
Stability and file transfer is improved.
also ram management is better.

Change Log:

*Pulled new MEM updates from 3.8.Y kernel.
*Pulled FileSystem updates from 3.8.Y kernel.
*Voku pulled ZRAM critical updates.
*Voku pulled PM update.
*I have retuned system as real Linux, tuned by PRO developers
smile.gif

*Fixed kernel scheduling tuning for awake/sleep
*Tuned profiles:
allowed in STweaks more dB for speaker.
reduced allowed MEM ratio after found that to high value SOD our device on file transfer, it's using too much RAM and kernel kill the main VM service and then game over.
now file transfer working fast and no sods or delays,
please do not restore your profile!
just tune again what you like.
*Added +50mv to first GPU voltage now set to 950.
*Removed from STweaks GPU freqs below 108Mhz, they didnt work any way.

have fun and report.

dont forget all new roms have BUG with video driver.
so to prevent SOD use the Force GPU render in DEV options.
for now this is the only solution! till ROM devs will fix something!

Source, Here
Download, Here

Ps. Didn`t test yet, enough happy with Siyah :)

Upvote 0
Maybe once i will do the job if u don`t mind lads :)

An excellent job you have made of that post Twinn! Go to the top of the class. 10/10

Dorimanx...
i have found that kernel tuning was not as expected.

You can blooming well say that again!

I can only but describe Dorimamanx v7.48 as like wading through treacle up to my love spuds!

Not only that... but after flashing a Siyah kernel over it, (with a GS2KernelWipe), this persisted. I then flashed a known, good, NEAT+Siyah nandroid backup and it still persisted.

Finally, with all the ironass toys out of my pram, I did a GS2ROMNuke and then reflashed NEAT ROM and then my NEAT + Siyah nandroid combo... successfully.

Ah, the joys of being an early flasher. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Twinn
Upvote 0
Dorimanx kernels v7.50 & v8.00 are now up! :)

"ATTENTION ALL ALL!

Kernel 8.0 support ONLY new ROMS based on CM10.1 LAST nightly!
AND all JB SAMMY + ICS SAMMY ROMS!

DO NOT INSTALL on OLD CM/AOKP ROMS! get black screen, dont bother to write here!

================================================== =====
Kernel 7.50 THE LAST ONE in 7.XX branch!!!
Support ALL older CM/AOKP + JB SAMMY + ICS SAMMY
NOT SUPPORT ANY NEW CM/AOKP ROMS!

2 kernel have the same new stuff and fixes except the VIDEO DRIVER! and all that needed for NEW CM/AOKP ROMS.

READ the change LOG x 10 times!

Change log:

*Added new video MALI V2 driver to kernel 8.0!
*Fixed WIFI HOTSPOT for new CM/AOKP ROMS (kernel 8.0)
*Fixed broken baseband for new CM/AOKP ROMS (kernel 8.0)
*Fixed SLOW GPU for new CM/AOKP ROMS (kernel 8.0) faster than CM-KERNEL!
*WIFI toggle now works, new CM/AOKP ROMS (kernel 8.0) (ROM BUG)
*Set HYPER as main GOV
*Tuned Kernel performance, now much faster.
*Voku added dynamic touch freq mod.
*Voku added Auto DATA off/on with screen on/off, mod OFF by default.
*Voku fixed KSM MOD.
*I have removed lulzactive CPU GOV from kernel. (was not stable for us)
*Added new JB SAMMY INIT updates from latest kernel.
*Added new CM10.1 INIT updates and mount fixes.
"

Download, here.

Source, here.

Reactions: Twinn and Slug
Upvote 0
Dorimanx kernels v7.50 and v8.00 (both amended) are now up!

See previous post for full changelog.

"UPDATE!:

Kernels deleted!

and reuploaded!
Problem = JB SAMMY ROMS stuck in bootloop if POWER down by force using POWER key long press
Now should be OK.

Also fixed:
Min GPU voltage to 850mv on all levels
Kernel Update CHECK.
"

Download, here.

Source, here.

Reactions: Twinn
Upvote 0
[SIZE="3"]Dorimanx kernels v7.50 and v8.00 ([COLOR="Red"]both amended[/COLOR]) are now up![/SIZE]

"UPDATE!:

Kernels deleted!

and reuploaded!
Problem = JB SAMMY ROMS stuck in bootloop if POWER down by force using POWER key long press
Now should be OK.

Also fixed:
Min GPU voltage to 850mv on all levels
Kernel Update CHECK.
"

Download, here.

Source, here.

Don't do it ironass

Upvote 0
Post #409...

Someone has to be a guineapig, so I may as well risk taking one for the team. I'm nice like that. :p

Plan B: Wait for Slug's next report before flashing Dorimanx v8.00. ;)

I haven't got round to it yet.... I'm struggling with an urge for the Xperia Z right now. I'll get to fire up and play with our demo properly tomorrow, but my initial reaction was "phwoar!!!" :eek:

Upvote 0
Someone has to be a guineapig, so I may as well risk taking one for the team. I'm nice like that. :p

Never doubted it for a moment! ;)

but my initial reaction was "phwoar!!!" :eek:

Is that, "phwoar!!!", as in seeing a really fit bird in a bar... or, "phwoar!!!", as in smelling a nasty bottom burp:questionmark:

(You just can't get the staff! :rolleyes:)

Upvote 0
I'm nice like that. :p

Never doubted it for a moment! ;)

You almost said that with a straight face!

Is that, "phwoar!!!", as in seeing a really fit bird in a bar... or, "phwoar!!!", as in smelling a nasty bottom burp:questionmark:

Definitely the former. It's got similarly squared-off lines to the S2 (and the upcoming S4, if rumours are believed) and has a lovely minimalist look to it. The real kicker (for me) though is the weather-proofing. :)

And before anyone asks, no I won't be parting with my S2. A couple of my other phones may have to go, mind you.

p.s. The latest V8.00 kernel has been installed for over an hour now without any issues appearing.

Upvote 0
I'm really struggling with what phone to go for, I'm of the opinion that I really want whatever is the best available at the time.... I can technically upgrade now, but having looked at the options on o2s website, it is suggesting I'll have to pay a slight premium (worth waiting 3 months for, especially when I'm happy with the S2 still, especially with kernels available like this one ;-) )

Also thinking of a change of network as o2 only give 1GB data, not enough if I wanna watch the rugby on my phone at work once in a while!

Upvote 0
Def going to wait and see what the s4 is like and wether there is a dorimanx kernel for it (see what I did their? ;-) :p )

Did a search for s3 vs xperia z, and overall the s3 tends to win, though with what will in no time be a toddler running about, the water resistance may be a good idea! Lol

Also as I think I may go to t mobile, it means waiting till the end of my current contract!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones