• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

DROID Bionic

Specs from the product website at Moto show 1 gb RAM.

I won't give up my X for another 1 GHz phone even if its a dual core. I'm going to need more than that to sway me from the beast I've unleashed.

I'm with you, Gimme some 1.5 dual core goodness and then i'll move over. My X is awesome and running apex its faster then any Android phone my friends have

According to the specs its over half an inch thick and even wider then the Droid X. Personally I would have rather Verizon gotten the smaller Atrix that went to AT&T. I guess I will have to consider the LG Revolution. Just seems baffling that even the phones being talked about for Q2 releases are still going to launch with 2.2.

Moto's website updated... now reads 512... looks like im gonna have to see all the phones before I decide... lol hmmmmm...
http://tinyurl.com/23blm8s

According to the specs its over half an inch thick and even wider then the Droid X. Personally I would have rather Verizon gotten the smaller Atrix that went to AT&T. I guess I will have to consider the LG Revolution. Just seems baffling that even the phones being talked about for Q2 releases are still going to launch with 2.2.

I'm calling BS on those specs. There's no way it's that thick and it still sports a 4.3 in screen so the height and width are practically identical to the X. But I do agree on the Atrix, that phone looks incredible (though I'm sure battery life will be absolutely terrible with the laptop dock).

I love the x but there's always going to be something better within a few months of getting whatever is newest and best. But like others have said i'm going to wait till 4g is in full swing otherwise i'm just gettin it for a few extra features that i can prob do without.

I'm calling BS on those specs. There's no way it's that thick and it still sports a 4.3 in screen so the height and width are practically identical to the X. But I do agree on the Atrix, that phone looks incredible (though I'm sure battery life will be absolutely terrible with the laptop dock).

Sadly the specs are confirmed here:
http://mediacenter.motorola.com/Fact-Sheets/Motorola-DROID-BIONIC-Fact-Sheet-353a.aspx

I am not happy at all. That puts the Bionic at 4.96 x 2.63 x .52 and 5.57oz vs 5.02 x 2.58 x .39 and 5.47oz for the X. That's even heavier then the X despite being almost all plastic. I think I will be going with the LG Revolution assuming it is similar in size to the Optimus 2X. The only thing I don't love about my X is its size but it was so vastly superior to the Incredible and Fascinate I didn't have much choice. With options like the Revolution coming I no longer have to deal with having a phone this big. I just wish Verizon would realize not everyone wants a 4.3"+ phone. Please more phones in the 3.7-4" range!

i think the thing i love the most about my phone is the screen size, and i can see myself going up to 4.5in but probably not bigger (for my phone, will probably get the xoom tablet)

love the specs on the bionic, except there's no lte in buffalo for now and my contract isn't up for a while so i will definitely pass on this.

i like the idea of dual 1.5's, that would fly!

SO this isn't a TI processor? I thought it would be.

Meanwhile Not terribly inpressed. If plastic as they say, might not be getting. I have a year to wait it out anyway.

Dual Core Processors. hehehe. You guys will be able to literally WATCH your battery meter drain right before your eyes.

Until battery technology takes a giant leap forward or these companies start putting in solar cells to help recharge the battery the technology cannot go much further. I'm not one for carrying around 5 cell phone batteries just to keep a charge through 1 day. :p

Battery technology for Phones and Notebooks/Netbooks have to move forward for their to be much more advancement in mobile technology, IMO.

Sadly the specs are confirmed here:
http://mediacenter.motorola.com/Fact-Sheets/Motorola-DROID-BIONIC-Fact-Sheet-353a.aspx

I am not happy at all. That puts the Bionic at 4.96 x 2.63 x .52 and 5.57oz vs 5.02 x 2.58 x .39 and 5.47oz for the X. That's even heavier then the X despite being almost all plastic. I think I will be going with the LG Revolution assuming it is similar in size to the Optimus 2X. The only thing I don't love about my X is its size but it was so vastly superior to the Incredible and Fascinate I didn't have much choice. With options like the Revolution coming I no longer have to deal with having a phone this big. I just wish Verizon would realize not everyone wants a 4.3"+ phone. Please more phones in the 3.7-4" range!

I think I had some comprehension problems when I posted that, because I'm not exactly sure why I thought it was untrue haha. It is a bit thick, but the fact that it ships with a 1930mAh (:eek:) battery might account for that and the switch to plastic.

I think I had some comprehension problems when I posted that, because I'm not exactly sure why I thought it was untrue haha. It is a bit thick, but the fact that it ships with a 1930mAh (:eek:) battery might account for that and the switch to plastic.

The Atrix has pretty much the same specs and battery other then screen size so not sure why it's 20% thinner over 15% lighter, my only guess would be the LTE radio. Kinda a bummer but I had been leaning towards the LG anyway. I noticed how they aren't indicating which processor this uses which makes me think it must be an unannounced TI processor and not a Tegra 2. After all why announce the processor in the Xoom and not the Bionic or Atrix?

I'm cautiously on the fence about this...specs don't look bad but we'll have to wait and see what the final result is that we can actually purchase. Although I still have 8 months to go min before I can upgrade and I'm sure there will be a lot more and better to select from by August 2011.

Still, its interesting to hear about all the new LTE/HSPA+ phones that are in the works. The competition between carriers and manufacturers will definitely work in favor of us consumers. In the mean time I'm still very happy with my Droid X and am looking forward to Gingerbread improving it even more in the next months...

I noticed how they aren't indicating which processor this uses which makes me think it must be an unannounced TI processor and not a Tegra 2. After all why announce the processor in the Xoom and not the Bionic or Atrix?

droid-life said:
First, he assured me that both the BIONIC and XOOM are running Tegra 2 processors. I know that there have been questions surrounding the BIONIC, but I’ve got to take his word for it. I brought up the dual-core OMAP and he basically laughed, as it’s no where near a release. I also have confirmation that the BIONIC will launch with 512MB of RAM, not the 1GB that was listed on Moto’s site. Not sure why they didn’t match the Atrix 4G, but that’s what they’ve decided on. Don’t worry though, it’ll still be one of the fastest devices on the planet.

from HERE

this phone looks cool, the lg doesnt do it for me and the thunderbolt ehh i dont like htc so in july with my ne2 its gonna be between this and the iphone 5 lol

The Atrix has pretty much the same specs and battery other then screen size so not sure why it's 20% thinner over 15% lighter, my only guess would be the LTE radio. Kinda a bummer but I had been leaning towards the LG anyway. I noticed how they aren't indicating which processor this uses which makes me think it must be an unannounced TI processor and not a Tegra 2. After all why announce the processor in the Xoom and not the Bionic or Atrix?

The engineer in me want to remind people that typically with electroic devices, weight is an indicator of quality build.

TYPICALLY, not always.

In all the news that's floating around it gotblost that the bionic will only have 512 ram while the AT&T counterpart will have 1gb. :( WTF?

My concerns are:

1. What type of locking/encryption/etc it will have in regards to a bootlader
2. What version of Android it's running (i've done everything possible to remove as much blur as I can from my X)
3. What kind of real battery life you can get

Idle, my X will last days. A few text messages and calls, it'll be just under half by EOD. If I even think about surfing the web or playing some angry birds, in conjunction with normal daily activities, I'm lucky if the charge lasts 16 hours. Soft buttons don't bother me (I actually like them, these hard buttons on the X just feel weird to me), but other than the aforementioned, this seems like a pretty decent phone.

I live in the middle of BFE (thank you United States Military..), but LTE is a tempting boat to jump on.

I have a good friend that is an engineer working for a major mfg of smartphones and tablets (android & windows). He is directly involved in the design of these devices.

He says their tegra 2 based prototypes, both phones and tablets have horrible battery life, even models with 3G radios. His company is @ CES this week showing off their new tablets/phones. His caution was, unless they can find some magical way to squeeze out more run time on these things without putting in huge batteries, to stay away from the first generation of dual core 4G devices.

He did let me play with some of the prototypes. Tegra 2 is fast, Honeycomb is sweet, but in the 30 minutes or so that I was playing with it, the battery went from full charge down to 40%.

no wonder they are including the "extended" 1930mah battery as standard. I wonder if that will even make it through a day. I can easily get 2 days worth of use out of my DX with the 1930mah "extended" battery.

Back
Top Bottom