• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

DROID Bionic

all newer android devices will have a locked bootloader. watch.

Maybe I'll be wrong, but I doubt it.

As far as root capablilty I would love to see someone offer a device pre-rooted. Probably never happen either.

Otherwise. whatever.

I have a good friend that is an engineer working for a major mfg of smartphones and tablets (android & windows). He is directly involved in the design of these devices.

He says their tegra 2 based prototypes, both phones and tablets have horrible battery life, even models with 3G radios. His company is @ CES this week showing off their new tablets/phones. His caution was, unless they can find some magical way to squeeze out more run time on these things without putting in huge batteries, to stay away from the first generation of dual core 4G devices.

He did let me play with some of the prototypes. Tegra 2 is fast, Honeycomb is sweet, but in the 30 minutes or so that I was playing with it, the battery went from full charge down to 40%.

no wonder they are including the "extended" 1930mah battery as standard. I wonder if that will even make it through a day. I can easily get 2 days worth of use out of my DX with the 1930mah "extended" battery.

Sorry, calling BS here. Atrix 4G is quoted at 9 hours of talk time per phonearena.com. This is more than the Droid X.

Please if you don't have anything factual to say, please refrain.

droolworthy piece of kit, but until the bootloader is free or at least crackable, no more Motorola phones for me, probably been said 100 times already in this thread but my .02

In all the news that's floating around it gotblost that the bionic will only have 512 ram while the AT&T counterpart will have 1gb. :( WTF?

Because the Atrix has an accessory that lets it turn into a laptop. It basically allows you to use your phone to power a Linux desktop.

Not enough RAM for me to leave the X. It must be an upgrade in every way to be justified. Pass!

Sorry, calling BS here. Atrix 4G is quoted at 9 hours of talk time per phonearena.com. This is more than the Droid X.

Please if you don't have anything factual to say, please refrain.

Normally when phone arena does battery life tests, it is spot on or very close. If phone arena says 9 hours, it should have decent battery life. It did come with a 1900 battery too.

Compare that to the Droid 2 having 9 hours of talk time with a smaller battery, i think its 1400. The X has a 1500 battery and has 8 hours talk time.

I do remember reading that of all the dual core chips, the Tegra 2 might have the worse battery life. But that article was from the summer of last year.

It could also be 4G related.

This is why I wish there were some more dual core chips out to do comparisons with the Tegra 2....

Don't expect dual core to be that significantly worse than the singles. honestly, screen and backlighting (usualy labeled together) are still the higher powerdraws.

Radio's are probably number 3 or 4 after the main processor. I don't see where LTE radios would really pull more than a CDMA 3G radio. However higher bandwidth does allow for higher processor overhead, so maybe there is a difference there.

Meanwhile interesting to see Nvidia getting into the core processor market. I keep wondering when we will see an AMD based mobile processor.

Interesting times to say the least.

I will pass on this one for the time being. I am hoping that in the second half of 2011 Motorola will release a Droid X2 with a similar design to what the Droid X has now. I much prefer the metal body with soft touch coating and the physical buttons over the all plastic design and capacative buttons of the Bionic. It would be sweet to see a DX2 with the TI OMAP Dual Core 4430 chipset, 1 GB of ram, 16-32 GB's of built in storage with a 32 GB class 10 sd card preinstalled, 4G LTE, qHD IPS screen @ 4.5" ( I can't stand the grossly oversaturated colors on the SAMOLED screens), the same 1930 mah battery as in the Bionic, an 8-10 megapixel camera with 1080p recording and Gingerbread 2.3/2.4 ( 2.4 should be optimized for dual cores).

The TI OMAP 4430 is said to be what is being used in the Blackberry Playbook and its supposed to be blazingly fast. It is also said to be more efficiant than Tegra2 so should see better battery life.

Also keep in mind that all the announced smartphones at CES are said to be releasing with Froyo 2.2.1 which is not optimized for dual cores so will see little to no real world performance increases over the current single core chipsets along with worse battery life until they are upgraded to Gingerbread 2.3/2.4 (and we all know how long that can take).

so my question is, if you buy a 4g capable phone, do you have to buy a 4g plan?
I live in a small town of 200 people and we just got our first cell phone tower (verizon) 3 months ago.

so my question is, if you buy a 4g capable phone, do you have to buy a 4g plan?
I live in a small town of 200 people and we just got our first cell phone tower (verizon) 3 months ago.

I'm not 100% sure about Verizon, but with Sprint that would be a big YES!!

My friend has a EVO 4G and he has to pay an extra $10 dollars a month for it being a 4G phone even though 4G is a long ways out in this area. And I'm pretty sure this is how wireless companies charge. They go by the phones abilities, not the area you're in.

As for the Bionic, it looks like a pretty nice device indeed. Not worth giving my DX up for or anything, but if I were on the market for a new phone, and I didn't care about the bootloader, this would definately be a contender. Real world results on battery life need to be made of course. It seems to me that these companies are rushing dual core technology to market simply because they can and the public is excited about it... but personally I don't think battery technology is up to snuff yet to make it a very realistic option.

I could be wrong, they may have found ways to make the battery last a decent amount of time in the Bionic and Atrix... only time will tell. But if the reviews are true about dual core + 4G sucking juice outa the phone like a 4 year old slurping a Capri Sun, then you could question why they're pushing out phones with those technologies before they advance battery technology first.

I tell you one thing, the company that does advance battery technology first, will take Wall Street by storm!!!

The TI OMAP 4430 is said to be what is being used in the Blackberry Playbook and its supposed to be blazingly fast. It is also said to be more efficiant than Tegra2 so should see better battery life.

I didnt know the Playbook had a dual core OMAP. Interesting...I wonder why Motorola didnt go with it. Although the Nvidia name does help with marketing the new phones.

I have a good friend that is an engineer working for a major mfg of smartphones and tablets (android & windows). He is directly involved in the design of these devices.

He says their tegra 2 based prototypes, both phones and tablets have horrible battery life, even models with 3G radios. His company is @ CES this week showing off their new tablets/phones. His caution was, unless they can find some magical way to squeeze out more run time on these things without putting in huge batteries, to stay away from the first generation of dual core 4G devices.

He did let me play with some of the prototypes. Tegra 2 is fast, Honeycomb is sweet, but in the 30 minutes or so that I was playing with it, the battery went from full charge down to 40%.

no wonder they are including the "extended" 1930mah battery as standard. I wonder if that will even make it through a day. I can easily get 2 days worth of use out of my DX with the 1930mah "extended" battery.

I'll take your advice with a grain of salt. Smaller dies in a dual core use less juice than a single core. Not saying its BS but also remember what you said yourself these are prototype devices and may not be streamlined as much as they will be before release.

I'll take your advice with a grain of salt. Smaller dies in a dual core use less juice than a single core. Not saying its BS but also remember what you said yourself these are prototype devices and may not be streamlined as much as they will be before release.

True, the prototypes are not as streamlined as the final version, but the Tegra 2 uses a 40nm process while the OMAP 3630 in the X uses a 45nm process. a 5nm reduction is not going to make a dual core consume the same amount of power as a single core. So add the additional power consumption from the CPU and from the 4G radio, and you have not so great battery life.

TI's OMAP 4430 will probably give better battery performance, and the 2nd gen 4G radios will probably also help in terms of lower power consumption.

I guess at this point it's a wait and see game.

Depending on battery life this will be my next phone. I had thought about he thunderbolt, but it's specs are not really that impressive.

Apparently HTC had no clue what my dream phone is, let alone what my next dream phone is.

Back
Top Bottom