• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid X - Real World Battery Life Reports, Please

Here's what I have so far on this charge (see that display is 55% of batter power used since last unplug, lot's of screen use - on auto brightness).
snap20100827_091518.png
snap20100827_091538.png

EDIT: Forgot to add I have an extended battery (this means a lot, I know, sorry I forgot).

I know I posted it on another thread but I just think these screenshots or postings with your percentages mean NOTHING. I don't care if your screen uses X% of your battery life over the course of a day, I want to know how long your screen is on for! An hour of screen time could be 50% for someone and 25% for another.

I'd like to see screen time included when people use these screenshots or talk about battery life. It seems to be the biggest drain and the one that could also be easily compared. I would imagine a screen on 25% brightness for 2 hours should drain the same amount of battery regardless of phone and thus would be a much better comparison point.

Besides my rant, I do think signal strength has a strong effect, regardless of what your "cell standby" reading is. I have terrible service in my home (house is a dead zone) and occasionally the battery drops fast. I'm very curious to see how I do up at school where I constantly have good service.

I know I posted it on another thread but I just think these screenshots or postings with your percentages mean NOTHING. I don't care if your screen uses X% of your battery life over the course of a day, I want to know how long your screen is on for! An hour of screen time could be 50% for someone and 25% for another.

I'd like to see screen time included when people use these screenshots or talk about battery life. It seems to be the biggest drain and the one that could also be easily compared. I would imagine a screen on 25% brightness for 2 hours should drain the same amount of battery regardless of phone and thus would be a much better comparison point.

Besides my rant, I do think signal strength has a strong effect, regardless of what your "cell standby" reading is. I have terrible service in my home (house is a dead zone) and occasionally the battery drops fast. I'm very curious to see how I do up at school where I constantly have good service.

Look at my second picture in my previous post. It says that the screen had been on for exactly 25% of the time since it was last unplugged 25 hours and 33 minutes ago. That means screen was on almost 6.5 hours during that time period.

Does this answer your rant?

EDIT: here are a couple more screens (AutoKiller is set to aggressive):
snap20100827_092827.png
snap20100827_093018.png

I'm anxiously waiting for undervolting on 2.2.

EDIT: Forgot to add I have an extended battery (this means a lot, I know, sorry I forgot).

Look at my second picture in my previous post. It says that the screen had been on for exactly 25% of the time since it was last unplugged 25 hours and 33 minutes ago. That means screen was on almost 6.5 hours during that time period.

What are your settings at? Data, screen brightness, how many widgets updating? There are a ton of other things that affect the battery. Screen can be on for 6 hours, but is it while checking email, texting, updating apps, downloading apps, or playing a highly intensive game, etc...?

What are your settings at? Data, screen brightness, how many widgets updating? There are a ton of other things that affect the battery. Screen can be on for 6 hours, but is it while checking email, texting, updating apps, downloading apps, or playing a highly intensive game, etc...?

Data is always on, screen brightness is set to auto, I have a battery widget, a social app widget that constantly updates, calendar widget that syncs with Google calendar, WeatherBug syncing every hour. I mostly use my phone for email, texting, and updating/downloading apps, web browsing (including videos via Youtube or Flash). Games are few and far between. I did not play any music during this last cycle. I also use my camera and camcorder a bit, also uploading to Facebook and Youtube (via Pixelpipe, which uploads the HD video). I do a LOT of RSS reading via NewsRob.

Data is always on, screen brightness is set to auto, I have a battery widget, a social app widget that constantly updates, calendar widget that syncs with Google calendar, WeatherBug syncing every hour. I mostly use my phone for email, texting, and updating/downloading apps, web browsing (including videos via Youtube or Flash). Games are few and far between. I did not play any music during this last cycle. I also use my camera and camcorder a bit, also uploading to Facebook and Youtube (via Pixelpipe, which uploads the HD video). I do a LOT of RSS reading via NewsRob.

Ok, so I have a lot less updating than you, and don't do half the stuff you do otherwise, but get maybe half the battery life you get. What's the deal? I have 2 weather widgets getting updates every 3-4 hours, email is fetch only, sportstap is always on, no wifi or gps unless I'm home. I do a bit of browsing, once in a while Pandora and app updates, minimal camera usage (1-2x/week). I unplug at 8, and when I get home at 5, I am at 50% on a good day. I barely touched it yesterday and was at 20% by 9PM. If I actually used the damn thing, I would have been dead before I left work!

snap20100827_092827.png
snap20100827_093018.png

My observations:
Current Battery level is 80%, thus 20% used. I have been unplugged for "5h 12m 54s" or about 312 minutes
My display has taken up "80%" so your calculations would be .80*312=`250minutes, or >4 hours.
My screen has ACTUALLY been on for "1h 25m" not even close to 80% of my time on.

The point of my rant is that the percentage given, I believe, is the percentage of BATTERY USED. So technically, my display has used 80% of the battery "juice" my phone has drained.

Correct me if I'm mistaken but I know my phone percentages are not the amount of time my screen has been on. Thus my rant saying someone can have any percentage and a wide variation in amount of time on

EDIT: I mentioned this in my second post but I was refering more to people who include only that first screen. The battery history screen coupled with a total on-time is obviously much more informative. Just trying to help with "real world battery reports".

Also I wouldnt have gone through the math if I read your response better and realized you included that...

Also, as to not seem like im attacking you, your second screen is something that most people do not include, only the first screen. So again, not meant to be personal to you (as your post was informative) but I know there are plenty of people who simple post that one screen (your first)

So far I'm getting about 7-8 hours of battery life with GPS and Bluetooth turned on, and music player turned on for about 3 hours. Some web usage and all updates but mail, weather turned off. I'm also using the Battery Saver profile.

From what I have read people have similar things turned on and they are getting at least double or triple the battery life.

I do a lot of multimedia... basically, the screen is on a great deal. My biggest bump in battery retention was moving to "Auto" on the screen brightness. I used to have it fixed at about 85%.

Now, at the end of a 12 hour day... I'm looking at about 20% left. I'm quite happy with the battery at this point. My Dinc, which my wife uses now, gets to about 20% after about 8 hours.

I'm perfectly happy with the life, especially when I compare to my past phones:
Iphone 3GS
Droid
HTC Eris
Incredible

I had an Incredible that I just gave to my wife. With the exact same programs running on the Incredible and the Droid X I would say I easily get 25-33% more life on the Droid X.

That being said you still have to charge it every night so while it helps it's not going to get 2 days on battery regardless.

^Yea, unless u barely using it, in an area with a very good signal, or rooted and using SetCPU I cant see it going 2 full days.

If u in a bad reception area, expect the phone to die faster unless u turn Airplane Mode on or just turn the phone off. I use Airplane Mode at work now since I hav no signal at my desk. One of these days imma test my battery at home and at work.

The most I could get outta my phone was 1 day and some hours. The longest was about 29 hrs. That included some 3D games, some 2D games, talking, browsing the web, listening to mp3's.

*Some folks may need to to see check if they have that GPS/no sleep bug. I'm not saying it will give u 2 full days if u have it and do the work arounds, but it may help somewhat*

No way, no how I could NOT charge it overnight and use it for anything reasonable the next day. Just came back from the store and made them give me a new battery. If it behaves the same, it's an app; if it's better, then that one was crap...only time will tell.

Also, as to not seem like im attacking you, your second screen is something that most people do not include, only the first screen. So again, not meant to be personal to you (as your post was informative) but I know there are plenty of people who simple post that one screen (your first)

No worries, I'm not offended. I mostly feel terrible for something I left out. As such, I have edited my previous posts. I forgot to add that I have an extended battery. I know this makes a huge difference... I totally forgot about it. :o:o:o

I make it a full day (8am-11pm) no problem, unless I'm using it NONSTOP... then I may have to plug-in on the drive home...

nG

Yesterday I was talking to the Verizon rep at the store about my mediocre battery life and a problem I was having taking pictures. The X wouldn't take a picture and it kept asking for me to enable something about the location. It was already enabled which was the kicker. The rep noticed that I had an Antivirus program on the phone. He recommended taking it off. I said, go ahead. He also recommended uninstalling ATK. I did that too and he installed a different task manager. Last night I was at 50% when I went to bed. I was still at 50% when I got up today. Prior to removing those programs I would have easily lost 20-30% of my battery. I charged the battery for about an hour as I was going to be going out on my motorcycle for a while and I didn't want to be without a phone. It was at 60% when I left. Everytime we stopped and the entire time at lunch the phone was on. When I got home after 6 hours I was at 40%. This I can live with. Prior to this there was no way my battery would make an 8 hour day without being less than 20% when I got home. Now I'm sure I can easily make it more than a day with a full charge. I guess those two programs were resource intensive and running a lot in the background.

Yesterday I was talking to the Verizon rep at the store about my mediocre battery life and a problem I was having taking pictures. The X wouldn't take a picture and it kept asking for me to enable something about the location. It was already enabled which was the kicker. The rep noticed that I had an Antivirus program on the phone. He recommended taking it off. I said, go ahead. He also recommended uninstalling ATK. I did that too and he installed a different task manager. Last night I was at 50% when I went to bed. I was still at 50% when I got up today. Prior to removing those programs I would have easily lost 20-30% of my battery. I charged the battery for about an hour as I was going to be going out on my motorcycle for a while and I didn't want to be without a phone. It was at 60% when I left. Everytime we stopped and the entire time at lunch the phone was on. When I got home after 6 hours I was at 40%. This I can live with. Prior to this there was no way my battery would make an 8 hour day without being less than 20% when I got home. Now I'm sure I can easily make it more than a day with a full charge. I guess those two programs were resource intensive and running a lot in the background.

You want a real kicker, every VZW rep I've talked to (and several others, per forum members) swear by ATK. One guy even set mine to Crazy to kill every 15 minutes...clueless.

I got home from riding around 3:30 today and I was at 40%, I'm still at 40% 4 hours later. Getting rid of those two programs has made a ton of difference and basically given me a new phone!

Using a standard battery, lots of apps loaded and phone being 36 days old, I'm at 60 hours since last charge (day 3), down to 30% remaining according to status bar visual gauge and 'battery left' app.

I've used it for a call or two, some text messages, browsing, and reviewing tons of emails. Screen was on 'auto' (middle brightness) most of the time.

I was curious how long I could go, and perhaps I'm using it a little less than I was the first 2 weeks, but I was not expecting it to last this long. The orange indicator just lit up after downloading a few more apps here a few minutes ago... ;) I think I'll be charging tonight or tomorrow morning early.

The rep noticed that I had an Antivirus program on the phone. He recommended taking it off.

What Antivirus program?

I have outlook on the phone, haven't really noticed any effect on the battery.

Last weekend I had the phone on the charger in the car providing music for a campfire. When I came in about 2a.m. the battery was at 100% and I tossed it on the counter. I checked some emails and facebook on it a little on Saturday and Sunday, and by the time I plugged it back in Sunday night to make sure it was ready for work the battery meter still read 90%.

During the week however, active sync turns on for work emails and usually I have around 50-60% battery by the time I get home at night.

I just wrote this for XDA so I thought I'd cross post it here to show what kind of battery life I get. I'm extremely happy with the battery life. On my iPhone, I could get two days out of it if I was very busy and didn't do anything with my phone except maybe make a couple calls or check an email. This phone, with the extended battery, I regularly plug in at night and have it at 50-60% battery, indicating I could get a second day out of it.

I can go 48 hours on the extended battery and I'm not using SetCPU and I typically leave the screen on auto brightness (though I guess I occasionally turn it down).

Yesterday's usage:

Unplugged the phone around 7:30am. Read emails for about 20 minutes in the morning, checked the weather. Listened to some music on my bluetooth headphones on the way to work, maybe 30 minutes. Started up Appbrain on the phone and downloaded/installed the apps over 3G. At lunch, I listened to more music on the way home, browsed the internet for maybe another 30 minutes while I ate, and listened to music on the way back (all bluetooth).

Showed a few coworkers some of my apps, so another 20 minutes or so with the screen on. Occasional email/text throughout the rest of the day.

At home, I sporadically pick up the phone and browse the internet/read emails/send texts. Easily a solid hour+ of browsing. Played a couple games and downloaded a couple more apps.

When I went to bed and plugged the phone in, around 11pm, my battery was at 50%. Probably a total of two+ solid hours of browsing, an hour of emails, 20 min. texting, 30 min. games, an 1.5 hrs. Bluetooth streaming music and maybe 15 min. or so of phone calls. Plus a little misc. fiddling.

More information about my phone:

- The only radio I toggle on and off is Wifi. Everything else stays on all the time. Wifi goes on when I get home.

- Widgets that update themselves are: a calendar widget, a Google Tasks widget, a sports score widget and a weather widget. All widgets with configurable timers are set to update in 30 minute intervals.

- I have ATK installed but only to let me manually kill processes, it has no auto killing intervals set.

- I am running Launcher Pro Plus. Before I installed LPP, I cleared off my entire Blur desktop - there is nothing on it.

- I am rooted and have removed most of the common bloatware - nothing crazy, just the things like CityID, Amazon apps, Blockbuster, etc.

Hope that information helps someone.

I would really like to know how to get such *good* battery life that others are getting (on the regular battery). I'm currently getting about 8 hours on a full charge. The battery usage stats says my display is using most of the charge, but I have it set to 40% brightness, I frequently turn off the display when I'm done, and I have it set for 1 min 25 seconds timeout (with an app). I don't keep GPS, Bluetooth or Wireless on, I'm not using live wallpaper.

I *do* have to keep data on at all times because of my work (I receive email alerts) -- but if the data is running down the battery, why isn't that listed as the battery hog instead of the display?

This is with moderate usage of the internet and tinkering with the phone a little, but that's about it.

I use the phone heavily, perhaps 35 to 60 phone calls per day. Touchdown Exchange Email polling every 15 minutes. Access the internet several times per day for short periods. WiFi on, GPS and Bluetooth off. It says my screen is on around 23% of the time, sounds about right. Almost 6 1/2 hours since my phone was unplugged, showing 57% remaining.

This is with the extended life battery purchased from Verizon. This battery most definitely does make a very noticeable difference. Turning on GPS has shown to eat up quite a bit of battery.

Since getting the extended life battery, I've found I can make it through the day from 8:00 AM to midnight without a problem. So I am satisfied.

Back
Top Bottom