• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid X + Verizon = Hard combo to beat!

Outlaw71

Android Expert
What's shakin DX'ers. Hopefully by now you guys know that one of my lovable qualities is that I try to keep it real no matter what. I can be a fan of certain people, places and things without crossing over into 'fanboy' territory (I hope).

Therefore almost 3 weeks after jumping ship over to T-Mobile and the LG G2x I thought I'd jump back over here and give the DX and Verizon their props. I left partially out of frusteration over the locked bootloader issue with my DX, as well as Verizons seemingly steady increase of ruling with an iron fist. I looked for a friendly carrier and a friendly Android device in which to find a new home. And my search brought me to T-Mobile and the LG G2x.

Now first of all, don't read into this any sort of slam against T-Mo or LG... I'm merely reflecting on my old carrier/device now that I'm with a new combo and have had some time to notice certain things, and come to some conclusions of my own. My experiences may not reflect those that others may have had.

I switched over to Verizon about 6 or 7 years ago coming from Sprint because at that time Verizon seemed to have the best over all coverage than any other carrier in my area. And I was sick of having to walk out onto my porch just to be able to talk with my kids or other friends. So I accepted having to pay a premium price for a premium service. But indeed a premium service is what I recieved as for the entirety of my stay with Verizon, I must say I rarely ever found myself in an area without service. And if I did happen to find a dead spot, you could pretty much guarantee nobody else could get coverage in that dead spot either. But for the most part I found myself always being able to pull down a signal in other carriers dead spots. Which made me the go-to-guy in quite a few situations over the years. That always made me feel good.

And when I say I got signal, I mean a strong 3g signal about 97% of the time, a 1x signal about 2% of the time, and no signal about 1% of the time. That's pretty good IMO. I drove all the way to Jacksonville, Florida and back (to Indiana) while streaming 'The Office' to my DX, keeping me company on my long drive (I know, I know... I kept my eyes on the road for the most part though). And During that 16 hour drive there and back, it only lost signal 2 or 3 times, and would reconnect after finding a new signal less than a minute after dropping my connection. That's pretty damn impressive if you ask me.

Now with T-Mobile and my G2x I would say I have a strong 4g connection about 80% of the time, a 2x signal about 17% of the time, and no signal about 3% of the time. And with T-Mobiles 4g network what you're really getting is a REALLY good 3g connection. Pulling down 7 - 10 mbps is pretty nice, but it's no where near as fast as Verizons LTE network. So when comparing living with my G2x as compared to my life with my DX... what the LG gives me in super zippy dual processor speeds, freedom to play with the unlocked bootloader, and a skin-free UI the DX made up for in absolute reliability no matter where I went, no dropped calls EVER, and the best community found on the internet period.

So basically it's a tie. I upgraded my device, but downgraded my service. I don't blame T-Mobile, they give you a lot for your money. I have unlimited everything (minutes/texts/data) for less than I was paying Verizon even though I had the $9.99 data plan, and an additional 17% taken off my bill through my employer. So the price is definately right. But of course they don't have the same kind of coverage that Verizon has, they're no where near as big as Verizon is.

So if Verizon still costs more than their competition, I guess I have to hand it to them... they deserve to be able to charge a little more since they do have superior service. I'm not regretting my move, that's not why I stopped in to give them props. I just like to give credit where credit is due. Even if I am at odds with the direction their company seems to be going, I can still give them the kudos they rightly deserve.

And Verizon, you deserve the title of most reliable carrier in the USA.

Nice feedback.

One interesting thing to note is that the DX radios are, by far, the best phone radios I've ever used. I have a coworker with an Incredible on VZW and we have a couple special dead spots in our building where cell phones go to die. It's actually kinda funny because one of them is a meeting room and it's the only place in the building where you can schedule a meeting and it won't be interrupted at all by cell phones ringing/text beeping/etc.

She gets no signal. I get 2 bars of 3G, and it's a dog slow 3G connection, but it does work.

VZW's network is definitely the best, but the radios in the DX make it look like a rock star, too. It's kind of like that great employee you hire - you know you're good at your job, but this new guy makes you look even better.

Nice feedback.

One interesting thing to note is that the DX radios are, by far, the best phone radios I've ever used. I have a coworker with an Incredible on VZW and we have a couple special dead spots in our building where cell phones go to die. It's actually kinda funny because one of them is a meeting room and it's the only place in the building where you can schedule a meeting and it won't be interrupted at all by cell phones ringing/text beeping/etc.

She gets no signal. I get 2 bars of 3G, and it's a dog slow 3G connection, but it does work.

VZW's network is definitely the best, but the radios in the DX make it look like a rock star, too. It's kind of like that great employee you hire - you know you're good at your job, but this new guy makes you look even better.

That reminds me: I was at a different campus for a training class at work, and the room we were in was a dead zone... for AT&T. I think I was the only one in there without an iPhone, so I was bumping around the internet at 3G speed while everyone else was poking at their iPhones and grumbling about not having any service! I thought about firing up a 3G WiFi hotspot for them... but I didn't. We only had a few minutes before class started, so it wasn't worth the cost, and by the time I had it up and running, class would have started anyways. That, and I'm an ass.

I get better reception at home with my iphone 4 than I did with my droid X, along with faster 3G speeds. X has better voice quality, but for me, lack of consistent reception at home made it a no go.

I switched from Cingular (ATT) to Verizon in 2002. I was so angry with Cingular and the service was so bad as well as the customer service that going to Verizon was a revelation.

I sometimes complain about VZW and threaten them that I'm going to leave if they don't do whatever it is I want at the time, but I am a loyal customer and will remain so for the very reasons you described and then some.

I use my cell for business. I need service. Period. I can't mess around.

PS: Thanks for coming back and saying "Hi!" :)

I think it was Churchill who said Verizon is the worst carrier... except all the others that have been tried.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was Churchill.

I think it was Churchill who said Verizon is the worst carrier... except all the others that have been tried.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was Churchill.

lol

nice point of view OP. i have always wanted to jump ship due to hardware, but i am always afraid of what kind of connection i would be getting. my DX has gone everywhere from Northern MI, down to the tip of the FL keys, and over to the grand canyon and i can count on one hand the number of times i lost signal or dropped a call.

i have always wanted to jump ship due to hardware, but i am always afraid of what kind of connection i would be getting. my DX has gone everywhere from Northern MI, down to the tip of the FL keys, and over to the grand canyon and i can count on one hand the number of times i lost signal or dropped a call.

This is my issue, too. I have been on US Cellular, AT&T and now Verizon - and I've supported the other major networks. Before Verizon, I've never been that happy with my carriers while traveling. They're usually okay around home but I always hate being in a new location and not getting a good data connection for GPS, or not being able to search for that local restaurant, or wanting a piece of information on the fly and having a crap or no data connection...

VZW may not be as fast as ATT but I always get a connection. I'm far more frustrated by a lack of any data than I am by a slow download.

This is my issue, too. I have been on US Cellular, AT&T and now Verizon - and I've supported the other major networks. Before Verizon, I've never been that happy with my carriers while traveling. They're usually okay around home but I always hate being in a new location and not getting a good data connection for GPS, or not being able to search for that local restaurant, or wanting a piece of information on the fly and having a crap or no data connection...

VZW may not be as fast as ATT but I always get a connection. I'm far more frustrated by a lack of any data than I am by a slow download.
I dont use data for gps, I use gps for gps f**k vzw data to get a location, why have a gps radio then?

In my area verizon is about the best signal I've seen and I've had em all here.

I'm not talking about acquiring positioning, I'm talking about downloading maps and traffic data and such. I know you can get an offline maps app but it's just a small part of the problem that losing a data connection causes.

I'm not talking about acquiring positioning, I'm talking about downloading maps and traffic data and such. I know you can get an offline maps app but it's just a small part of the problem that losing a data connection causes.
umm google maps n gps ;) works great.

Good OP, Outlaw:D

I agree with you - I've almost NEVER lost a call anywhere I've been with the DX, its been the best phone for reception I've ever had. Its also the most versatile and most reliable even with the few quirks the OS has (I'm running a rooted Froyo 2.2.1). Hopefully the GB OTA that can be rooted will solve those from what I've been reading in other threads here...

For the time being I'm also one of those willing to pay a little more for the best reception of any network, although if Verizon gets any more "Iron Fisted" in their policies I may start to look elsewhere. I don't understand their drift towards more and more restrictive/controlling policies - if they were as open as T-Mo they would pwn every other carrier out there. I find it amazing they don't seem to realize this, but hey, that's just me :rolleyes:

Personally I've been with Verizon from the beginning (2002), so I don't have experience with other carriers apart from what I've read here. But I've received some excellent help and advice from people posting here (including Outlaw), so I tend to listen to what they say - I appreciate the informative and insightful posts. But what Verizon does in the future will dictate whether I leave them at the end of my current contract or not.

We'll see...

Back
Top Bottom