• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

EVO 3D case with Kickstand ..

would you buy a replacement back case with a kickstand

• yes

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • no

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
No excuse for being a link whore.

if it was posted several times within threads then not everyone is going to look for it.
the fact he made a thread about it for everyone to see it as he stated was a good thing, there was no reason to bash the guy, he is obviously posting information that not everyone will search through the forums to find.

i for one am glad you posted this ramonini im considering jumping ship from the X for the evo 3d still a little weary if this HTC is locked with encrypted bootloaders like moto is right now. (heres hopings it is as open as the orginial evo)

Upvote 0
Let me see if I can't get it to embed...

6a00d83451c9ec69e2014e60110946970c-800wi

Upvote 0
Does that show up for you ?

And as an answer to your question (assuming you cannot see the embeded pic); the case looks about as bulky as a Seidio. IMO the Seidio adds a good chunk of bulk that is noticeable in the hand versus a naked phone, but I don't like scuffs so I would have a case anyway. For someone getting a case JUST for the stand (ie you generally fly with a naked phone) I am sure this will be a turnoff.

Upvote 0
yeah my x is naked right now, i had the case, but it added a little extra weight (not worried) but it was extra bulky, i dont like scuffs or scratches, and i dont have a screen protector on my X because gorilla glass doesnt really need it, though im sure with the evo you would absolutely want it. i just wonder if it will be for sprint or tmo

and yes i can see the embedded pic, but you cant really see the bulkyness of anything without a phone in it though thats all personal preference anyway. can you stand the bulk or not

Upvote 0
Like I said, to me this looks the the Sedio innocase (or whatever it's called). I have the one named Pt (platinum), which is the same thing but made/banded exclusively for Best Buy by Seidio. There definitely is more bulk, enough bulk to make the camera flush in fact (which I consider a lot of bulk, but I like the fact the camera is flush). I'd love to go "naked", but I can't stand scratches and scuffs. I am also one to sell my old handset when I get something new, so that certainly helps the sale go better. For people that can't stand added bulk, this (Siedio) would probably make them grit their teeth. I sort of view it as giving up a little bulk but keeping my phone looking like new. To me that is a worthy trade-off

Upvote 0
I'm just wondering why they didn't show the difference in thickness between one with the case and one without the case. And also how it works while attached to the phone. Just weird to me that they wouldn't show that.

What I also find strange is that the "main" excuse for the kickstand not being on the EVO3D was due to needing space for the dual 3d cameras and the battery...But the kickstand case is going to be SEPARATE from the actual phone. So that begs the question, why the f' couldn't they make a battery cover that integrates the kickstand w/o needing to add a case (and added bulk) to the phone?

Upvote 0
I'm just wondering why they didn't show the difference in thickness between one with the case and one without the case. And also how it works while attached to the phone. Just weird to me that they wouldn't show that.

What I also find strange is that the "main" excuse for the kickstand not being on the EVO3D was due to needing space for the dual 3d cameras and the battery...But the kickstand case is going to be SEPARATE from the actual phone. So that begs the question, why the f' couldn't they make a battery cover that integrates the kickstand w/o needing to add a case (and added bulk) to the phone?

They did go out and specifically say the cases were prototypes (where they didn't say EXACTLY that about the phone). I wouldn't be surprised if they want to hear the public's reactions. It's virtually free R&D to them!

As to your second question, look at how your current evo is built. The kickstand doesn't reside on top of the battery, but below it. On the 3D, because the battery has been moved lower, there is no place to recess the kickstand. It was pointed out to me that the larger capacity battery is pyhsically the same size as that which is in our EVOs, I suspect they just beefed the battery capacity up to be able to have that as a backup excuse. Most people (including myself) associate larger capacity battery to the item actually being larger. Apparently this ins't the case.

Upvote 0
They did go out and specifically say the cases were prototypes (where they didn't say EXACTLY that about the phone). I wouldn't be surprised if they want to hear the public's reactions. It's virtually free R&D to them!

As to your second question, look at how your current evo is built. The kickstand doesn't reside on top of the battery, but below it. On the 3D, because the battery has been moved lower, there is no place to recess the kickstand. It was pointed out to me that the larger capacity battery is pyhsically the same size as that which is in our EVOs, I suspect they just beefed the battery capacity up to be able to have that as a backup excuse. Most people (including myself) associate larger capacity battery to the item actually being larger. Apparently this ins't the case.

I understand what you're saying, but I think you are missing my overall point. They make the excuse that the reason there is no kickstand is because of the lack of room (which I completely understand). What I don't understand is, if they're able to make a case that has a kickstand, I really can't find ANY reason that they can't create a battery door w/ a kickstand. One of the things said in the video was that "the kickstand needs to be integrated with the actual phone."...Again, B.S...HTC made a freaking case (even if it's a prototype) for the damn phone that's not part of the hardware.

Upvote 0
I understand what you're saying, but I think you are missing my overall point. They make the excuse that the reason there is no kickstand is because of the lack of room (which I completely understand). What I don't understand is, if they're able to make a case that has a kickstand, I really can't find ANY reason that they can't create a battery door w/ a kickstand. One of the things said in the video was that "the kickstand needs to be integrated with the actual phone."...Again, B.S...HTC made a freaking case (even if it's a prototype) for the damn phone that's not part of the hardware.

The battery door on my current evo is much thinner than that case looks. I am speculating here, but I am sure they want to add some beef to the kickstand so that it stand up to heavy use.

Upvote 0

I think they CAN make a back cover with a kickstand, but it would have to be a thick cover and therefore add to the overall bulk and weight to the phone. For people who don't want the kickstand, they may feel the phone is unnecessarily bulky (bulkier than the Evo).

We must also accept that it's possible that the majority of people don't see a kickstand as that important. Only a fraction of existing Evo owners feel it's important. And people who've never owned a kickstand phone don't really know what's missing, or they think it's a gimmick. For sure a lot of people thought the Evo's kickstand was gimmicky.

Based on the pics I've seen, the Evo 3D's battery is MUCH larger than the Evo's. Here:

htc-evo-3d-battery.jpg

The battery is like the entire bottom half of the phone. And since the Evo 3D is pretty much the same size as the Evo, it seems clear that this battery is bigger. But look! The SD card is not buried.

Upvote 0
I'm sorry but the kickstand is one reason the EVO appealed to a lot of people. It's different and it works extremely well. Why should people buy the 3D when the HTC Pyramid is the love child of the EVO and Thunderbolt, but I didn't see a kickstand in the photos. And it doesn't have gimmicky 3D. 3D is about as useful as using the front facing camera for video chat. Who video chats on their phone anymore? Good luck watching a 3D movie on a phone without a kickstand.

Upvote 0
I think they CAN make a back cover with a kickstand, but it would have to be a thick cover and therefore add to the overall bulk and weight to the phone. For people who don't want the kickstand, they may feel the phone is unnecessarily bulky (bulkier than the Evo).

We must also accept that it's possible that the majority of people don't see a kickstand as that important. Only a fraction of existing Evo owners feel it's important. And people who've never owned a kickstand phone don't really know what's missing, or they think it's a gimmick. For sure a lot of people thought the Evo's kickstand was gimmicky.

Based on the pics I've seen, the Evo 3D's battery is MUCH larger than the Evo's. Here:

htc-evo-3d-battery.jpg

The battery is like the entire bottom half of the phone. And since the Evo 3D is pretty much the same size as the Evo, it seems clear that this battery is bigger. But look! The SD card is not buried.

You think a battery cover would actually add more bulk than a case?...LOL...that doesn't really make sense to me at all. The EVO 3D is .03 thinner than the current EVO. No way I can see a case being "less" bulky than a battery cover.

The EVO 3D battery looks shorter to me. I'm currently running with a 1800mah battery and it's the same size as the OEM EVO battery.

The SD card isn't buried, but it still looks like you have to take the battery out in order to take the SD card out. Doesn't bother me, cuz I never take the sd card out, but just stating what I see.

Upvote 0
You think a battery cover would actually add more bulk than a case?...LOL...that doesn't really make sense to me at all. The EVO 3D is .03 thinner than the current EVO. No way I can see a case being "less" bulky than a battery cover.

The EVO 3D battery looks shorter to me. I'm currently running with a 1800mah battery and it's the same size as the OEM EVO battery.

The SD card isn't buried, but it still looks like you have to take the battery out in order to take the SD card out. Doesn't bother me, cuz I never take the sd card out, but just stating what I see.

I meant to say that a battery cover with kickstand would be thicker than a battery cover without a kickstand. That said, if HTC decided that a kickstand is a MUST HAVE for this phone, they would have made a thicker battery cover. The fact that they CHOSE a case for the kickstand indicates to me that based on their data, consumers were ambivalent about the kickstand in the first place.

Of course there's no reason why they can't come up with a battery cover accessory (rather than a case) that comes with the kickstand. And there's still a chance they will if feedback from CTIA over the kickstand is significant. Or a third party case manufacturer will get creative and make a replacement battery cover rather than a case.

I don't think you need to remove the battery to remove that SD card. It looks to be the exact same housing as the current one. You lift the little tab, and the SD card pops up diagonally. Then you pull it out. I don't see it getting in the way of the battery.

Upvote 0
I meant to say that a battery cover with kickstand would be thicker than a battery cover without a kickstand. That said, if HTC decided that a kickstand is a MUST HAVE for this phone, they would have made a thicker battery cover. The fact that they CHOSE a case for the kickstand indicates to me that based on their data, consumers were ambivalent about the kickstand in the first place.

Of course there's no reason why they can't come up with a battery cover accessory (rather than a case) that comes with the kickstand. And there's still a chance they will if feedback from CTIA over the kickstand is significant. Or a third party case manufacturer will get creative and make a replacement battery cover rather than a case.

I don't think you need to remove the battery to remove that SD card. It looks to be the exact same housing as the current one. You lift the little tab, and the SD card pops up diagonally. Then you pull it out. I don't see it getting in the way of the battery.

If that's the justification, that doesn't make sense to me either, otherwise they wouldn't have made a kickstand for the Thunderbolt. No matter how they spin it, those are all excuses (and bad ones at that). Ultimately, it wasn't a priority to HTC because they're running with the "3D hype" and going with what they think consumers will buy into. And as it had been mentioned before, it probably wasn't COST EFFECTIVE for them to make a battery door (even though it probably wouldn't have added much thickness at all in comparison to the EVO 3D or the original EVO). They have engineers. If they're good engineers, they'd have figured out a way, but that would've cost too much time (which = money) and it wasn't a top priority. To make a case is much easier to design separately (rather than figuring out how to integrate into the battery cover), it drives up profits (by selling a separate accessory), and their viewpoint would be that it would satisfy "majority" of the consumers. They might be right, but I'm telling you that NONE of the decision to keep off the kickstand had anything to do with the thickness it would add or lack of area to place the kickstand on the phone. It had to be purely a business decision.

Looks to me like sd card has a slide housing, not a pop up, but that's just my opinion.

Upvote 0
I sincerely think sr that you are grasping here. Certainly the reason we didn't get the kickstand is because of the cameras. This is not an excuse, it is a simple reason. I feel it has nothing to do with cost effectiveness. To add a kickstand to THAT design with the beefy camera and all will add girth, simple as that. There literally are no two ways about it. Imagine making the followup to one of your best selling phones THICKER than the previous version. That's a fantastic way to get the media riled up about how HTC goofed up. So, I guess it was a business decision. They didn't make it thicker to appeal to the few that would have a BUILT IN kickstand at all costs. They want to appeal to the masses.

Once the case arrive, put it on your phone (or if you aren't getting the phone look at a phone with the case on). Now measure just the back. That is a hair thicker than the phone would have been if it was designed as your propose.

Upvote 0
I sincerely think sr that you are grasping here. Certainly the reason we didn't get the kickstand is because of the cameras. This is not an excuse, it is a simple reason. I feel it has nothing to do with cost effectiveness. To add a kickstand to THAT design with the beefy camera and all will add girth, simple as that. There literally are no two ways about it. Imagine making the followup to one of your best selling phones THICKER than the previous version. That's a fantastic way to get the media riled up about how HTC goofed up. So, I guess it was a business decision. They didn't make it thicker to appeal to the few that would have a BUILT IN kickstand at all costs. They want to appeal to the masses.

Once the case arrive, put it on your phone (or if you aren't getting the phone look at a phone with the case on). Now measure just the back. That is a hair thicker than the phone would have been if it was designed as your propose.

A hair thicker from the back, but you're not taking into consideration the sides also. I've tried every single case imaginable for the EVO and ALL of them were too thick.

We can agree to disagree. I'm purely looking at it from a business perspective. HTC could've figured out a way to work, if they felt it was worth the money and time to do so...they didn't, which tells me that it wasn't worth it. I do agree that they wanted to appeal to the masses...Only question there is if the masses really were "demanding" 3D or if they were going along with "hype" and "marketability." I say it's the later, rather than the general public actually "demanding" a 3D phone.

Ask yourself this, how many people in the general consumer fan base actually have a 3D TV?...My guess is still not very many because despite it being "popular" in the theaters, in this current economy, people are going for better deals on great LED TV's that are non-3D over the expensive, barely released, 3D LED TV's.

Upvote 0
I completely agree. I am just saying that they came out and said they made a decision to make the cameras 3D and this is why there is no room for the kickstand. I guess my point is, we know why they did it because they told us. Now we are just repeating what we know. ;)

Let me put it in the form of a question. Do we expect them to say "We removed the kickstand because we think this is what is going to make us the most money"? Certainly not. Virtually every decision a company makes in releasing a product is to maximize profit on it. You can bet that they read forums, reviews, gripes, etc. when updating any and all hardware.

Reactions: drexappeal
Upvote 0
I completely agree. I am just saying that they came out and said they made a decision to make the cameras 3D and this is why there is no room for the kickstand. I guess my point is, we know why they did it because they told us. Now we are just repeating what we know. ;)

Let me put it in the form of a question. Do we expect them to say "We removed the kickstand because we think this is what is going to make us the most money"? Certainly not. Virtually every decision a company makes in releasing a product is to maximize profit on it. You can bet that they read forums, reviews, gripes, etc. when updating any and all hardware.

I definitely understand what you're saying now, lotr, which is why I was pegging their "answers" as more excuses than true justification...because the answers they gave were primarily to calm down the consumers that would find the exclusion of the kickstand as bad news. It's PR at it's best and there's no way any manufacturer can really satisfy all customers...that would be unrealistic. And really, that could apply for any manufacturer, not just HTC. I was just using this example as frame of reference for something that happens in the general picture of product sales.

It's also another reason I take "leaks" with a grain of salt because for every single insider that gives us information, there is always someone higher up on the corporate ladder that will/can kill a project or product if they feel that the profit margin is not advantageous.

Reactions: lordofthereef
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones