• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Evo 4G vs Epic 4G

Which phone would you choose?

• Epic 4G

Votes: 203 21.1%
  • Evo 4G

Votes: 758 78.9%

• Total voters
Benchmarks is not everything, especially if not all the features work. For me, the Evo does everything I want it to do except download my digital copy movies.

I would rather have a slightly slower phone with every features working great, with outstanding support than a slightly faster phone with a manufacturer who will leave you out in the cold once they've sold their last unit.

Trust me, my Samsung Vibrant has nothing on my Evo in the speed department!

Upvote 0
Oh I know there is barely any difference between the two phones. It's like F1 in qualifying. The difference in time between 1st and 2nd is like a tenth of a second (even as close up to a thousandths of a second). Benchmarks are for bragging rights only. Though the Samsung has an advantage at the display field. I'd confidently say that both phones can be a good phone for it's user. Off course this is with the condition that Samsung has addressed their issue with the GPS. :)

Upvote 0
Oh I know there is barely any difference between the two phones. It's like F1 in qualifying. The difference in time between 1st and 2nd is like a tenth of a second (even as close up to a thousandths of a second). Benchmarks are for bragging rights only. Though the Samsung has an advantage at the display field. I'd confidently say that both phones can be a good phone for it's user. Off course this is with the condition that Samsung has addressed their issue with the GPS. :)

Strangely enough, my Vibrant has never had a gps issue. The gps works as well as my Incredible, and Evo, but both my Incredible with Eclair, and my Evo (with Eclair, b4 Froyo) are quite a bit speedier than the Vibrant.
The Vibrant gets a slightly better benchmark score than the Incredible, but it can't touch the Evo.
Of course, the Evo has Froyo now, but the Incredible and Vibrant are on an even playing field, and the Incredible works so much faster and more efficiently.

Upvote 0
So my brother works at the sprint store and he had access to an Epic. Wow. The way he described it like it was made out of gold. He said the screen has an amazing resolution, the camera runs circles around the evo, the battery is better, and so is the processor. I find it dumb that sprint would advertise the EVO as the all great smartphone and then release this. Don't get me wrong I love my EVO. Are you guys jealous of the epic?

Upvote 0
If the EPIC was so much better than the EVO then why does only 1 in 10 customers who call about the EVO even know anything about the EPIC? Nobody wants an 80s keyboard on their phone. I guess its hard for people to grasp the notion we have moved past keyboard phones and the floppy disk. In the EPIC forum people are already starting to complain about the screen size compared to the EVO. I'm hearing the battery sucks big time on the EPIC.
Are you asking to get banned?... You're already on probation.

Upvote 0
If the EPIC was so much better than the EVO then why does only 1 in 10 customers who call about the EVO even know anything about the EPIC? Nobody wants an 80s keyboard on their phone. I guess its hard for people to grasp the notion we have moved past keyboard phones and the floppy disk. In the EPIC forum people are already starting to complain about the screen size compared to the EVO. I'm hearing the battery sucks big time on the EPIC.

1. Your stat is bogus. I'm sure that's not an accurate statistic. Do you work for Sprint and whenever you answer the phone you ask them if they have heard of the Epic? The phone hasn't even been released yet and there have been very few advertisements for it. Also, consumer knowledge of a phone doesn't indicate that the phone is better. If that were true, then the iphone should be regarded as the best phone out.
2. There were no cellphones with keyboards in the 80s...
3. Hardware QWERTY keyboards on phones are a personal preference. Some people prefer hardware keyboards and others prefer software keyboards. I prefer hardware keyboards but that's just me. Also, there's a software keyboard on the Epic too.
4. I haven't seen many complaints in the epic forum about the epic's screen size. A 4 inch screen is generally considered fairly big for a phone. Also, it has a samoled screen which makes the viewing experience even better. For me, I find the Evo hard to operate with one hand because of how wide it is. The epic may be thicker but it is narrower than the Evo which should make it easier for me to hold.
5. In all the reviews I've read, the Epic's battery life is either on par with the Evo or slightly better.

Just because you have an Evo doesn't mean you have to bash all other phones that aren't yours. Both the Evo and the Epic are great phones. Choosing between the two comes down to personal preference.
P.S. This is my 100th post! :cool:

Reactions: The Tick077
Upvote 0
1. Your stat is bogus. I'm sure that's not an accurate statistic. Do you work for Sprint and whenever you answer the phone you ask them if they have heard of the Epic? The phone hasn't even been released yet and there have been very few advertisements for it. Also, consumer knowledge of a phone doesn't indicate that the phone is better. If that were true, then the iphone should be regarded as the best phone out.
2. There were no cellphones with keyboards in the 80s...
3. Hardware QWERTY keyboards on phones are a personal preference. Some people prefer hardware keyboards and others prefer software keyboards. I prefer hardware keyboards but that's just me. Also, there's a software keyboard on the Epic too.
4. I haven't seen many complaints in the epic forum about the epic's screen size. A 4 inch screen is generally considered fairly big for a phone. Also, it has a samoled screen which makes the viewing experience even better. For me, I find the Evo hard to operate with one hand because of how wide it is. The epic may be thicker but it is narrower than the Evo which should make it easier for me to hold.
5. In all the reviews I've read, the Epic's battery life is either on par with the Evo or slightly better.

Just because you have an Evo doesn't mean you have to bash all other phones that aren't yours. Both the Evo and the Epic are great phones. Choosing between the two comes down to personal preference.
P.S. This is my 100th post! :cool:
Dude, who cares if people bash the EPIC here. It is the EVO forum of course!

Upvote 0
So my brother works at the sprint store and he had access to an Epic. Wow. The way he described it like it was made out of gold. He said the screen has an amazing resolution, the camera runs circles around the evo, the battery is better, and so is the processor. I find it dumb that sprint would advertise the EVO as the all great smartphone and then release this. Don't get me wrong I love my EVO. Are you guys jealous of the epic?

So you're extremely envious of a phone you've yet to see and use in person? It's a nice phone, not going to lie about that, but it's too bad we got the k/b version.

Upvote 0

Rubbish.

Upvote 0
I'm very impressed with the Epic's camera, especially the 720p 30fps recording and the audio quality. Miriam from Engadget just put up a sample video: Samsung Epic 4G camera, and more tnkgrl Mobile , and wow does it put my EVO's video recordings to shame.

I have yet to see that supposedly gorgeous Super AMOLED screen in person.

So I still love my EVO, and wouldn't say I'm envious of the Epic. I think the two devices compliment Sprint quite well. However, simply for flamewar purposes, Sense v2.2 > Touchwiz v2.1, all day, any day! =oP

Upvote 0
You and your squadron then seem to be out of touch with the modern consumer. Many care about the quality of pics and vids. There are always quite a few threads about the quality and comparisons in every phone's forum, and there are usually a few paragraphs about it in most reviews followed by a lot of comments from users.

And just looking at the first page of the epic forum, there are no less than 20 unique members who are either the Op or the last poster in the thread. And that's just page 1.

If you're going to bring an argument to the table, bring one that holds water...LOL
If I was a photographer or a cameraman I might care about the quality of the video and camera on the EVO. Since I'm mostly calling, texting, and surfing the internet or the market, my camcorder and camera apps receive 0 usage. The 5 individuals in my squadron who have the EVO utilize the same features I do on a daily basis. Let me remind folks that its a phone first and the EPIC will fail because Samsung can make good tvs but not good phones. As a matter of fact their market share isn't even close to Apple, RIM, or HTC. Just look at the hype surrounding the launch of the EPIC or the lack there of hype. The EPIC forum has about the same number of contributors as an 8 man football team......LOL

Reactions: it.
Upvote 0
If you're going to bring an argument to the table, bring one that holds water...LOL

He needs a bowl or possibly a jug, I don't see how you could possibly create any actual material out of an argument or idea, but if you have a machine or process for such a huge task please share.

Now that I have had my fun back on topic. I will be the proud owner of a White HTC Evo 4G this coming week, hopefully, that is if Best Buy actually gets a shipment in. I personally do not think that the extra $50 is worth it. I had a HTC Hero before and I thought it was top notch! But thats just me. Cheers.

Upvote 0
If I was a photographer or a cameraman I might care about the quality of the video and camera on the EVO. Since I'm mostly calling, texting, and surfing the internet or the market, my camcorder and camera apps receive 0 usage. The 5 individuals in my squadron who have the EVO utilize the same features I do on a daily basis. Let me remind folks that its a phone first and the EPIC will fail because Samsung can make good tvs but not good phones. As a matter of fact their market share isn't even close to Apple, RIM, or HTC. Just look at the hype surrounding the launch of the EPIC or the lack there of hype. The EPIC forum has about the same number of contributors as an 8 man football team......LOL
If you want people to take you seriously, come up with a real argument. If you're only going to use a smartphone as a phone, then you might as well just get a flip phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones