• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

FAUGuy's Droid X Review (PhoneArena)

I'm very curious to see how the panorama works in person. I have it on my Sony camera and find it useful. Not sure how well it'll work on a phone though.
+1 I saw the Sony one in a commercial and thought it was pretty slick. I'm really excited to try it out.

This seems like a well balanced review. Lots of great info. The phone-aspect and battery strength of the Droid X is especially appealing, though I'm less enamored by the soft photos and the comments about small text appearing fuzzy on web sites (I do a lot of reading on my phone), but I'd have to see one for myself and decide -- definitely not a deal breaker by any means.

I wonder if a 3rd party app or root (I know it's supposed to be impossible with the signed bootloader) would up the fps on video recording?

Actually rooting is very likely on this phone. It is suspected/expected that the bootloader is designed to only allow Motorola digitally signed kernels and ROMs to run on it. This will prevent people from running custom ROMs, but still allow users to Root and add programs, etc.

Froyo should be able to give us the extra 6 fps....if the bootloader is in fact locked:(

Froyo is going to be released to the Droid X in late August. Rooting or cracking the bootloader will not be required to run Froyo.

I was supposed to have my Incredible today but it has been delayed. They are offering me $25 credit. Should I just switch my order to the Droid X? My only concern is size. Not that it's massive but my Eris fits nicely even in jeans pocket and the Incredible is about the same size.

That said, the X battery time sounds fantastic. Battery time seeems to me the clear advantage. Everything else is sort of subjective based on user needs. Are demos in stores yet?

I loved my Incredible but I took the little guy back...this phone just looks better.

And the X should fit into your jeans with no problem...unless you wear those skinny jeans, in which case I have no sympathy for you :)

Froyo is going to be released to the Droid X in late August. Rooting or cracking the bootloader will not be required to run Froyo.

i never stated it did, so i have no idea where you're going.

All i said was, froyo should bump it up to 30fps if we cant root and hack the stock rom to pieces and/or flash another rom.

The call quality being excellent and better than the Droid and the Incredible is noteworthy to me. I returned the INC and I'm very, very interested in this, as for me? CALL QUALITY IS PARAMOUNT!

You know, at first, when I saw the still-shot camera samples from his review I was pissed again at the overall bad quality especiallly since they site displayed them at full resolution. But then I thought to myself, "When do I ever take a picture with my phone that I display at full resolution, even a photo taken with a 5mp photo?" So I downloaded the pics to my computer (with a 25" monitor) and I opened the photos at like 70% of its size (which is what I would normally view pics at on my computer or if I uploaded them to facebook or emailed them to my family. And you know what, the pictures were actually a lot more sharp, and I actually really was pleased with the quality. So, my take away from this is that while viewing the pic at a full 8 mp will probably be terrible quality, for most purposes that we use camera pics for (i.e.- uploading to facebook, emailing it to family, etc.) the resolution when scaled down will be perfect. Never as perfect as the iphone, but better than other verizon cameras.

The one thing i hate about that site's reviews: the picture samples aren't resized. So really, you're just looking at zoomed in pixels. When would anyone ever look at it that big? If anyone wants to resize and link 'em here, you get my thanks

I resized them to 780 which i think is a normal display size for emails or facebook. I think the quality is quite good at this size:

BAfu1.jpg

gIWpd.jpg

UWygI.jpg

ZG3Mz.jpg

KlJpu.jpg

l8hiA.jpg

maNuJ.jpg

r5VOo.jpg

qXW3T.jpg

UpSR0.jpg

SDeZn.jpg

^ Thanks for resizing them! I will only use my camera photos for Facebook so these are perfect for me. If I want to take more serious pictures, like for vacation or a trip, then I'll have my trusty point-and-shoot and DSLR.

@doctajay

Thanks for the re-size. They definitely look better than at full res. I'd be interested in how they look if you took them to Walmart for a 4x6 print. You never know if a situation comes up where you would want a print. (I.e. great shot, car accident, blackmail.. wait.. whoops)

@doctajay

Thanks for the re-size. They definitely look better than at full res. I'd be interested in how they look if you took them to Walmart for a 4x6 print. You never know if a situation comes up where you would want a print. (I.e. great shot, car accident, blackmail.. wait.. whoops)

Typically blackmail type photos are taken on another phone and sent to me via MMS.... :p

And now we return you to your regularly scheduled thread, already in progress.

Here are photo shots from Phonearena review of the Samsung Galaxy S to compare with the shots they took with the Droid X above.

NkUuC.jpg

4pSiF.jpg

mFXS6.jpg

R0680.jpg

cRPSe.jpg

krmMh.jpg

4cO7h.jpg

mwImj.jpg

bDuia.jpg

eJLLL.jpg

tzzZV.jpg

It's a little hard to compare them without having a direct comparison with both phones taking the same photos. From what I see with indoor photos though, the X looks much better because the Galaxy S's indoor shots look blurry.

Back
Top Bottom